Schawk Employee Reviews

Great workplace, casual environment.
Production Artist (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MAJanuary 29, 2019
Creative and casual work days, and great co workers. Management was approachable and attentive as well as effective. The most difficult part of the job was the location, for me.
Pros
Casual
Cons
location
Good People, Bad Place to work
Producer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2019
I loved my time with the people at Schawk but overall terrible work environment. Has strong blame culture and management has favorite employees and those employees are the ones who see advancement.
Fun, fast-paced workplace
Freelance Photographer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 3, 2019
Schawk was a great studio to do freelance photography work for. As a fashion photographer in Chicago, they had great clients who understood what high-end photo production required. It was a pleasure walking in the front door and I will cherish the people I worked with along the way. Would definitely recommend this studio for creative professionals in chicago!
Worked on my own no one to bother me.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 30, 2018
Schawk was a big company and I was given the whole country to prospect. I was fortunate enough to open some big doors for the company, like Staples, Walmart, Bacardi, Yum Brands, and many more.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Management wasn't so hot. Never saw them, but that was OK.
Productive and focused
Account Manager/Freelance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2018
As a project manager an assignment was given and we are to manage it though from star to finish. I dealt with the end clients project managers to get information needed and to schedule with outside vendors. The completion of a project is great satisfaction.
Pros
Doing what you enjoy.
Cons
Limited employment as consultant.
Don't work here unless you are desperate
N/A (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 22, 2018
Poor management, no pay raises and they treat their employees like they don't matter. And don't expect any bonus of any sort at the end of the year even if the company did well. You won't see a dime.
Pros
You probably can work as much overtime as you like
Cons
Management is horrible
Toxic Workplace
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 8, 2018
This company underappreciates their many good employees. Annual pay increases are non-existant and there is inadequate training which becomes the employees' fault once the inevitable problems arise.

Management is a disaster and they are quick to throw employees under the bus for their errrors. There is no team-building as the management only sows distrust. Worst employment experience ever.
challenging after buyout
Student (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2018
A very busy culture with many talented people. Opportunities to share an innovative successful process with new team, work as a team in meeting critical deadlines and problem solving issues routinely.
Pros
The opportunity to work with new team in meeting production needs of products for national accounts
Deceptive
Senior Art Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 22, 2018
I interviewed for an art director position with 5 different people at 5 different times - and between me applying and getting offered the positions, they decided to switch the job position on me. My first day at the job is when I realized it wasn't the job I had initially applied and interviewed for. That should have been my indicator for the way this company worked.
Pros
location
Cons
everything else
Management was bad
Desktop Operator/Production Artist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 11, 2018
Very negative environment, that was perpetuated for management. Coworkers were great. Management made it uncomfortably to do your job, and that was the major problem.
Employees are great people
MARKETING (Current Employee) –  TXMarch 9, 2018
Employees are great people schawk use to be great place to work at things changed when the merger with Matthews was complete a couple of years ago....
A hard Weeks Work
Senior Client Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 21, 2018
Arrived at 6:00 am, worked until 5:30 or 6:00 each day.
Work several Saturdays each month.
Honed my prepress and customer service skills.
Work place environment less than professional but fun.
Putting in 50 to 60 hours a week was the hardest part.
Client interaction was the best part of my job, some days I loved my job, other days I hated it.
This job and the management expectations for the job consumed my life. God Bless my understanding wife.
Pros
Loved the client interaction with my high level clients
Cons
Hated the way this job took over and consumed my life
Good place to work, but low job security.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 22, 2018
Typical day at work for me, while my duties were pre press and platemaking were low stress most of the time, sometimes had very hot jobs that would get a little stressful, but not too bad. would work in pre press ninety percent of the time and help out in flexo platemaking when slow times would occur. I served as a customer service representative for eight years. This role could get very stressful at times, but I enjoyed comunicateing with clients and managing client accounts.
Pros
Good benefits, Holiday pay, and payed time off.
Cons
Working out of town
Productive and fun place to work
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2018
Schawk! provides an open, comfortable work environment. The management for all departments is attentive and available. It is easy, and encouraged, to collaborate across departments.
Pros
Open work space, access to colleagues and management, relaxed environment, creativity and teamwork encouraged, ability to work remotely
Poorly managed corporation with little regard for it's employees
Senior Client Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 29, 2017
Schawk was a great place to work until it's merger with Matthews International. Now it's just a very large, publicly traded corporation that only cares about it's stock holders and not the employees that keep the profits coming.
Pros
Good clients and co-workers
Cons
Poor healthcare and very poor management
Alot of opportunities to learn and do new tasks.
Polymer Plate Technician (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 8, 2017
Plenty of work and overtime, lots of support with difficult tasks and good colleagues. Very good compensation and plenty of vacation and holidays. Good benefits.
Pros
stay busy
Cons
some people didn't pull their weight and management let it go.
Overall a good place to work!
Operations Director (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 17, 2017
Days can be long, but then there can be times where volume is low, creating opportunities to catch up.

Management is fair and trying to create a culture that makes poeple want to come to work.

The cleint base is all large companies. These companies can be very demanding and challenging. Depending on the sponsor, some cleint can be very rewarding to work with.

Being onsite of the cleints can be enjoyable at times.
Pros
Good pay, fair benefits and teams working together.
Cons
Such a huge focus on quality, but an intense push from the client on delivery timing.
Nice building
Mac Operator/Team Leader of eight people (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILNovember 5, 2017
There are some really great people that work there. Some of middle management is not so great. They pay well and are pretty fair to the employees. Overall not a bad place to work.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Shipping work overseas
Job Security
Senior Client Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 5, 2017
Many/Most jobs over the past 7 years were being removed from the US facilities to overseas and jobs eliminated.

Facility did make some improvements, but was quite dismal.

Many times forced to work overtime on salary.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No breaks, overtime
hard work/little pay
Packaging Project/Asset Manager (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MANovember 2, 2017
The people I worked with were great.Upper management is terrible. They only care about their bottom line. Everybody else is just a number. What kind of company lays people off at Christmas??

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schawk. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight