Schawk Employee Reviews

Good training, high compensation
Account manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2014
My experience at Schawk was valuable for the challenges it taught me to handle with grace. I enjoyed a salary that was higher than the market rate for my experience level and skill set, but was ultimately laid off because that wasn't sustainable and the accounts I served were shrinking.

I witnessed several rounds of layoffs while enjoying a higher salary than I probably deserved; I would have preferred a less meteoric style of management.
Pros
Salary, location
Cons
Culture, client travel, management, Hr
Production house
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2014
Schawk is a strong production house with hard working skilled production teams. As with all client's, Schawk's clients want things cheaper and faster. Once you squeeze as much as you can, it becomes difficult to believe what you are producing is worth it. Morale is reflective of this.
Pros
Strong, skilled production teams.
Cons
Lack of senior management leadership.
Looks Good On Your Resume
Unknown (Current Employee) –  UnknownAugust 17, 2014
Glad I work for a subsidiary and not the parent company. Able to work remotely. Finally implemented a employee review process. Raises? unheard of company wide. Got my first on 3% after 6 years. Why am I still here. quality of life. I have a great manager. Single mom raising a preteen. Generous flexiibilty.
Productive and teamwork
Executive Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2014
Good team spirit, fast paced environment, always looking for new talent and location
I enjoyed my profession
Network Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 11, 2014
Very demanding, very stressful. I learned a lot during my tenure.
Good company....
Production Artist/Graphic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAMarch 20, 2014
Get in to work, management occasionally listens to its employee's. Co-workers are really tight-knit. Dealing with coordinator's who seem to either don't want to be there, are unwilling to be supportive of efforts to make it easy for the artists. Most enjoyable? 5pm, when you head home to relax.
Cons
They value people who seem to know what they are doing, yet don't value the hard work others put in.
not pleasant, good money
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILFebruary 19, 2014
if you are driven by money- this is the place to be but there is not much training, long hours are expected, and attitudes are the not the best.
Pros
money
Cons
team attitudes, lack of training one on one
Family type environment
Global Payroll Specialist / Time and Labor (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILSeptember 12, 2013
Schawk represents what is to work with family. It's culture is fun, flexible and upper management are very involved in the day to day processes.
Pros
excercise room, quiet room, showers
Productive and educating workplace with it's ups and downs.
Pressroom supervisor and lead pressman (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 5, 2013
A typical day at work was usually starting on my way to work, and ending when the phone stopped ringing after I got home.
What I learned was how to delicate a problem at hand and to stay calm under intense situations and solve the problem. I also learned that dealing with different personalities I was able to get the best performance from them.
Management, it changed hands a lot of times in the time I was there. 16 1/2 years I had a great working relationship with all of my superior's.
Co-workers, if you cannot get along with them then work is not going to be as productive. So as a Lead Man you always have to do what it takes to get the best out of your co-workers.
Hardest part of the job was switching shifts, day shift to graveyard then back again. When having a family and children it is hard to adjust, but I always did.
Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that everyday I went into work I always gave a 110% and seeing the final product out in public and showing my Family, or friends. Hey we did that. I always felt that there was a meaning to the madness.
Pros
I got to move up in the company.
Cons
Switching Shifts
A joyful and family environment
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 2, 2013
This was a hands on company. You not only did your work, but you also were able to see to full operation of the business from start to finish.
Pros
Frindly Work Environment, Concerned about employee well-being
Cons
Business is recession proof
Horrible toxic environment, mandatory overtime, no promotions.
Desktop operator (Former Employee) –  Des plainesApril 10, 2013
One of the worst pre press facilities to ever work at. Everybody that was a great operator has quit or got laid off. The customer service reps don't have a clue, there's no Color Boss, there is no salesmen, and the company is dictated by horrible managers. They have not hired an apprentice in a decade and they will threaten you of not being a team player when you refuse to work 12 hours a day when they laid everyone off. All the work is getting out sourced to China and they always cry broke and that's why there are no raises.
Pros
popcorn thursday, new computers
Cons
no breaks, mandatory overtime, no promotions, and no balance of life and work
bad management
❸ Quality Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILApril 8, 2013
Management sending all work overseas, cutting jobs, making working here very stressful.
Pros
co-workers, healthcare
Cons
lack of work, no other job options
I liked my direct colleagues but was very disappointed in the corporate culture and lack of leadership at Schawk.
Retail Marketing (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2013
I was shocked at how unprofessionally management handled a mass layoff.
great people no chance to stay with them for long time
Production (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 27, 2013
They outsource there work to other countries. NO LOYALTY to long term employees.Glad I left.
Pros
insurance
Cons
no loyalty, management is clueless
Stepping stone
Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILFebruary 18, 2013
Learned alot at Schawk from Infrastructure support to proprietary software.
Pros
learning experience
Incredible Demands on An Ever-Shrinking Staff
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2012
Not enough people to handle workload, constant pressure to cut overtime with smaller staff, progress reviewed before training was complete, decisions made by burned-out former co-workers but not current ones and differing opinions are discouraged. Upper level leadership is very demanding and forgets to say thank you when expectations are met or exceeded. Employees are dedicated and work really hard regardless of demands. People work together to get things done. City location is great.
Pros
good location, good it staff, good pay.
Cons
unreasonable hours, work-life balance doesn't exist
nice
Merchandise Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2012
good place to work, very nice people. nice management nice benefits, I wish I was still work there.
Pros
people
Cons
laie off after 7yrs
Great environment and people.
Account Administrator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaJuly 24, 2012
Schawk has a great environment and people. Great place to launch your career and get work experience.
All Work and No Play Makes for a Bad Work Environment
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2012
Mandatory overtime, poor scheduling, lack of direction, negative and toxic environment, unrealistic deadlines, no chance for advancement, low pay, weekend work frequent with little or no notice, average benefits, top heavy management, little flexibility, pay cuts, no concept of work/life balance.
Pros
amazingly creative employees
A veery productrive company. Good people to work with.
Project Manager / Traffic Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2012
I had a very interesting time working at Schawk. Typical day: Busy.
I learned InDesign there. The management was extremely helpful in all aspects. My co-workers were a delight to work with, a professional bunch of people. Hardest part of the job: the deadlines the clients put on us, but we always got the job done...on time. Most enjoyable part of the job were the challenges put to us every day and completing them. Total satisfaction.
Pros
birthday cakes on every employees birthday and the occasional lunch provided by management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schawk. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight