Schawk

Schawk insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Great fellow employees, super corporate atmosphere.

The work can be interesting, but mostly it's a well paying non-creative photo factory. Management appears to be a bit cold and unfriendly, rarely if ever making rounds, offering a greeting, or striking up a simple conversation, which makes one feel like they are just an interchangeable cog in the machinery.

Pros

Good pay, ok benifits

Cons

Hyper corprate atmosphere

Swirling until canned

Too slow to go digital. Cold warehouse in tht ghetto. Free coffee I guess.They closed the company parking lot to save money. I was hired by someone who either quit or was fired by the time I arrived. Fantastic

Do you enjoy your sanity? If so, don't work here.

Do you enjoy toxic environments, passive aggressive management, being belittled, and little to no room for advancement? Step right up! There is no diversity, no support, and no appreciation at this place. The interview process was super easy and pretty laid back. They seemed to really reel you in by pretending to care about you... but they don't. Work/life balance? Not a chance. The clients are fun to work with! That was probably the best part. Overall, this was easily one of the worst environments I've ever worked in. I've heard other locations are better - but Schawk BC is awful.

Pros

Decent pay/health benefits

Cons

Management, work/life balance, toxic environment

very clich,

watch your back Don't trust anyone there. coworkers may appear to be your friend but at the end they really don't care about you. they would team up and start saying bad things about you even though they aren't true just be spiteful and hateful. lots of small town gossip.

Difficult culture a real "pack" mentality. Chaos!

A never ending flow of Chaos every day. Employees do many of the administrators jobs. And repeating the same function 5 - 7 times. The number of jobs and not the true quality matters most. Most of the manufacturing employees had little or no knowledge of methods and principals of the actual trade. As a life long professional I found this a shock. How can you work at a place for decades and not know how stuff works? Upper Management is extremely controlling and insecure and lacks adequate trade knowledge to make important production decisions and frequently gets production in a bind. Frustrating!!! If you need a start in the trade and you'll work cheap it maybe the place for you. Its suppose to be a lean manufacturing company but its more a distorted reality of never ending unreasonable goals and expectations!

Pros

Free uniforms

Cons

Company actually functions better when upper management is out of town

No respect

Very loud place and no one respects anyone that actually sits at their desk and does their work. Insane workload and no one appreciates how much you're doing.

Meatgrinder

This place just needed warm bodies to sit in seats and fill orders for ONE client. Cut throat. Everyone is out for themselves. No one was trustworthy or helpful except for one person.

No job security

Was a decent job for 10 years until all of the sudden I was told they were closing the office and I didn't have a job. This happened to many people, as the company is tanking. Just don't do it, unless you have zero options. Work and stress are not worth the pay. Managers are childish and do not know what they are doing. It's just a dumpster fire.

They leave you alone and let you do your job. People are nice to work with. Benefits the pay is good. Top of the line equipment to work with. Flexible if you need a day off.

Productive and fun place to work

At Schawk I felt like I learned a lot more than I knew before about the requirements needed for the job. The staff was friendly and outgoing and always willing to help.

A great place to work in the Consumer Packaging profession

Schawk employees are some of the most knowledgeable in the business. Lots of work for their core clients the workplace atmosphere is very nice. Lots of opportunity to learn new technology and processes.

Un unhealthy environment

At the time, management was abusive and exploitative, and at one point was investigated internally for harrassment. Hours were long, and mass layoffs were indiscriminate.

I prefer not to

no thank you.. I could not figure out how to opt out of this survey

Run, don't walk from here!

Ungodly hours, militant management, unorganized. I think they make it up as they go. They will throw "slave food" at you once in a while to appease the masses. That's a meager positive give the environment. That should do it.

It's a paycheck (usually)

The company is struggling and is cutting costs on all sides in an attempt to keep the location (and entire operation worldwide) open. Morale is flagging. Some folk are very kind. Some of the management does incredible work in keeping the office running, to a degree that instills wonder and almost a degree of awe. No idea how long the doors will stay open, but it will probably be a little longer than most of the flex contracts.

Uneven pace and no benefits.

Hired on as flex worker, which meant no benefits except for state-mandated sick pay. Work was uneven, sometimes no work, sometimes extra work. People were generally nice, and helpful when needed, but no mandated standardized training. Did learn more about the prepress process. Management was decent but not always available; some of the management problems came from corporate. Hardest part of the job was conversion to nearly 100% digital work and also the long commute for little pay; also there was no system set up to allow me to check easily on work availability. Most enjoyable part of the job was cooperative working with other employees, often figuring out problems together.

Excellent environement for graphic and print specialists

I enjoyed working here to get a better perspective and experience of graphic design for print and web media used for a variety of communication channels. I also learned their project structure that teaches anyone how to proceed with each task from concept to final delivery. Highly recommend for new and experienced people in the workforce to try this company out.

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great team support

Cons

Needs updates to software which can put a time restraint on some project deadlines

Great workplace, casual environment.

Creative and casual work days, and great co workers. Management was approachable and attentive as well as effective. The most difficult part of the job was the location, for me.

Pros

Casual

Cons

location

Good People, Bad Place to work

I loved my time with the people at Schawk but overall terrible work environment. Has strong blame culture and management has favorite employees and those employees are the ones who see advancement.

Fun, fast-paced workplace

Schawk was a great studio to do freelance photography work for. As a fashion photographer in Chicago, they had great clients who understood what high-end photo production required. It was a pleasure walking in the front door and I will cherish the people I worked with along the way. Would definitely recommend this studio for creative professionals in chicago!

Worked on my own no one to bother me.

Schawk was a big company and I was given the whole country to prospect. I was fortunate enough to open some big doors for the company, like Staples, Walmart, Bacardi, Yum Brands, and many more.

Pros

Good Company

Cons

Management wasn't so hot. Never saw them, but that was OK.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schawk. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
1.2Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
2.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight
  • Schawk
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?