Scheels Sports Employee Reviews

Professional family
Ginna's Café Lead (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 15, 2019
Scheels is like having fun professional work family and you make tons of great connections. We work super hard and the customer is always first, often to the detriment of the employee's sanity at times... It can be very stressful, however, I do uphold the same values which has kept me there so long.
Pros
Amazing discount and ESOP
Cons
Lots of missed breaks, long hours, and not enough PTO/ pay is not very competetive
Fun environment
Cashier/Customer Service/Barista (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDJanuary 3, 2019
The people I worked with there were very focused on teamwork. We all helped each other, and everyone was friendly. The customers weren't too bad, but there are always those days where you have difficult people, as any store does. I would definitely work there again.
Fun job. Pay could be better.
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 28, 2018
They pay a little on the light side. It’s competitive at times as the employees are paid on a commission basis. It’s retail so evenings and weekends are the deal.
Pros
Discounts. Selling fun products.
Cons
Pay, hours
Fun place to work. Good management
Specialty Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, CODecember 18, 2018
It was a good place to work but it was not much of a challenge. The day to day mostly consisted of you approaching customers trying to sell them merchandise. Very good culture amongst the workers though. You will make plenty of friends here!
Pros
Good culture, amazing discount
Cons
Day to day gets repetative
I have enjoyed my time at Scheels, however management is forcing me to make a change. I disagree with their reasoning and changes.
Store Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IADecember 16, 2018
Scheels gives great customer service and is overall a good place to
work..however I am looking for work that gives me more fulfillment.
I feel I am not able to use my strengths and abilities any longer. My job description will be changing and I feel I need to move on to utilize my abilities.
Pros
Discounts and Monday-Friday
Cons
My job description is now changing after I have given them 13 years of service.
Overall a good job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTDecember 10, 2018
The people are respectful, they are flexible with scheduling and it is worth the hard work you put in. I wish working weekends was more flexible than it is.
Family oriented workplace
Athletic Clothing Expert (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 25, 2018
I loved my time working at Scheels. The competitive and fun atmosphere made coming to work easy; you will make your best friends here, (and potentially your spouse. Its the Scheels blessing) Scheels cares about their employees and community. Plus the discount is fantastic!
Pros
Incredible Management
Cons
Call in sick days not flexible
Scheels Gift Lodge
Gift Lodge Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNNovember 22, 2018
Scheels was a nice place to work. The managers were very nice people. A typical day was helping customers pick out items for their homes, running the register and selling fudge. Some days I had to make the fudge.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Na
Better pay would probably still have me there
Cashier, Back stock Support &Visual Merchandising (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IA 50265November 20, 2018
I loved my co workers and the core values of the company but I was not given the raises I deserved and my hours were cut. When I went to Part time my direct supervisor would purposely schedule me when he knew I could not work because of my other jobs. I eventually let go of my hours there and moved on with another company that hired me on full time.
Work hard play hard , but mostly work hard
Ginna's Cafe Lead (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDOctober 27, 2018
I have held many positions throughout the last decade, ranging from part-time to full-time. Web store, cashier, ferris wheel, cafe, support, Visa, etc. I love the atmosphere and most of the people I work with. Their values match mine. It's all about the customer so that means a lot of sacrifices on the part of the employees. Scheels has been increasing base pay (slowly) to keep up with living wage rates. The discount and the culture keep me there!
Pros
Amazing discounts, Esop
Cons
Often work way over scheduled hours
Fast paced and competitive
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTOctober 25, 2018
It is a great place to work if you are just looking for a good paying high school job but also gives you room to advance in the company.
Lots of great people work there and the managers are nice and accepting.
Pros
Discount
Very Fun Environment and fast paced.
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 22, 2018
On a typical day at Gramma Ginna's restaurant we would start the day by prepping and stocking. Assign positions and began baking and precooking for the breakfast rush. We always kept up on cleanliness and stocking. In the afternoons i would go through the ordering process and document the product needs. The hardest part of the job would be handling customer complaints. The most enjoyable part was the feed back from coworkers and customers on how fast and efficient we were and the qualify of the food and drinks we made. It was very rewarding.
Fun Place to work
SSM (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIOctober 11, 2018
Scheels is a fun place to work, however, I don't think the pay is worth it. The managers are very friendly, most of them, and they listen to what you have to say for the most part.
Productive and fun place to work.
Baseball/Softball Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 7, 2018
Productive and fun place to work.
Was department manager for 12 years.
Was on the buying team, new store development team, and training university staff.
Good Place and A Lot of fun Friendly people.
Hockey Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTSeptember 26, 2018
Good place to find a place if you are looking for a temporary job. would not recommend if you are looking for a career, and or have a family. too demanding of hours.
career worthy
Firearm Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 18, 2018
the culture at scheels is second to none. employee owned, so you get what you put in. if your passionate about something hunting, clothing, biking, the possibilities are endless.
Fun Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  4755 Ronald Reagan BlvdSeptember 10, 2018
Fun place to work in. No employer feels like there on there own, management is very helpful and there are so many great benefits for working at Scheels.
Relaxed place to work with like minded people
Service Shop Technician / Bow Technician (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDAugust 20, 2018
Very relaxed pace to work, great managers, awesome discount. Had to be clean shaven daily, also had to have short hair. Had a free gym and free lunches on Sunday
Pros
Free lunches on Sunday, relaxed staff, free gym
Cons
Mostly part time
Busy workplace with heavy emphasis on customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 15, 2018
Scheels' main focus is on appreciating customers and giving them excellent, unique, and friendly service. If you accomplish that, you'll likely be in the good graces of your manager. However, there are monthly sales goals to be met (getting at least 2 credit card sign-ups if your part time, 4 if you are full time), and if you don't make those goals, you'll be required to attend an extra meeting on top of the 3-4 you already need to attend a month. Co-workers were generally fine and hard working, and managers tend to be strict, but can be worked with.
The biggest con comes from the dishonesty of management toward employees. They will tell an employee they have a chance at a promotion, and then backpedal and criticize the employee when the opportunity for promotion arises.
Pros
commission + hourly, flexible hours, good co-workers
Cons
strict sales goals, dishonest management, strict dress code
Slow paced job with flexible hours.
Bow Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDAugust 7, 2018
Management was kind and enthusiastic, but my job entailed a lot of time standing behind the counter doing little to nothing outside of hunting season.
Pros
Good management, occasional free lunches.
Cons
Slow paced job.