Scheels Sports
76Above average

Scheels Sports Employee Reviews

United States395 reviews
A customer service focused sports retail store that can be great to work for. They are a private company and has several internal training programs for advancement. For a long term they also have a great employee stock program.
Pros
Cons
Pto and sick days are combined and you start with a low number
Over worked under paid Scheels does nice things for the store and schools thats where all the raises go not to their employees nice stores all over the US
Pros
Clean store
Cons
Under pay
The culture for scheels is very particular on what they want. A "drink the cool-aid". Working with like minded people is great but if you have any disagreement with some of the staff. good luck and start looking for another job
Pros
Discount was GREAT
Cons
expected a lot out of you
This place is a decent place so long as you can shut up and do as your told. Management does not want any ideas or questions just blind obedience to what they say. Also of you cannot plaster on a fake smile and have said smile on your face all day every day you will be written up.
Pros
They pay well
Cons
They foster a cutthroat atmosphere, if the manager decides they dont like you you are done
I got this job super excited and the amount of training they gave was awesome!! But the schedule would constantly change on me and they kept scheduling me over lapping with my other job that has set hours. Management constantly looked over your shoulder and would give opposite direction of each other. Company has a lot of old school policies that makes it seem much more professional then most retail
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
Schedule work load management pay period was weird
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Scheels comes with many responsibilities. You are expected to make coffee, work the register, fold clothes and help set up scheels credit cards for costumers. Many jobs you don’t have much help doing.
I had to work on really getting to know the customers and learning to have that great customer service when working there. Making sure when I was making drinks that they got what they wanted how they wanted.
Scheels is very good about having it all; from basic needs like toys for your pet, to special fire arms to suit the individual. The managers and sales associates do their very best to help the customer find what they are looking forward. While the cashiers ensure they come in seeing smiling faces, and leave smiling themselves.
By far the best company I have worked for. They do all they can to give their employees proper training so they are able to succeed in their job. The focus is to help customers have the best experience poasible there.
This place is amazing. Everyone is smiling and very friendly. Great benefits and have a very understanding leaders. Also the schedule is very flexible.
At Scheel's I was able to experience a different side of retail that I had not previously known before working in that industry. I was able to learn a new professional skill set that will hopefully ensure future employment if need be.
Scheels is an amazing company to work for but it is retail. Therefore the work life balance is not ideal. They have taught me a lot though in the things I have a passion for. They invest a lot of time and money into their employees and you can get back what you put into it.
An average day, is get shop work done, sell to customers, and get orders done. Love the friends I have made there, but not much room for growth. And growth is based on likability more then performance. The closing nights and weekends are also getting old. But I thoroughly enjoy the customer interaction that I have every single day
I am a very busy person, so Scheels was a great fit for me! I am the kind of person that always likes to be busy. I never ran out of work at Scheels, but at the same time there wasn't too much to be overwhelming.
Scheels is a employee owned business which put the customers and employees above the company. Great environment to work in. you work hard but comes with a lot of fun. everyone always has a smile on their face.
It's a team effort, however personal progress and development is encouraged and rewarded. It's a pretty lighthearted place to work, most everybody has been there for a few years and enjoy it.
Pros
Management will work with you to resolve issues, compensation is good, everybody's super friendly
Cons
short breaks, not much job progression
Scheels allows you to work in to any position you may want. You can run your own mini shop within the company or go into management and make great money.
Great place to work surrounded by great people. For a part time position, this was one of the best I have held. If you are looking to advance within the company, they make easy with clear path.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
A typical work day depends on the shift I was working. It varied to me cleaning the store preparing it for its normal busy life in the morning. That being cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming rugs, or any other general maintenance there was to do. Once that was done I would either be found in the shop repairing bicycles, sharpening hockey skates or preforming tune ups on skis and snowboards. I learned how the arts of navigating retail while providing excellent customer service. This job helped me improve my communication skills all while adding to my leadership capabilities since everyone there is an accountable person for their jobs. I thought the management at Scheels was outstanding; it felt as if we were one big family and that everyone mattered. The culture was outstanding too. The toughest part of my job was dealing with an upset customer as that is what I strive for. I thoroughly enjoyed the work environment and being able to provide service for customers while being a hands on worker.
Great benifits
Flexible hours

Easy to work with

30 min lunch

Every other weekend

Scheduals out a month in advance

Commision is huge. The harder you work/ sell product tthe more you will make $$
Scheels is by far my favorite place I have worked at. I get along with all my co-workers very well. They support me and give me advice through everything whether it is work related or in my life. The managers are really amazing too. They care about me and make sure I'm liking it there, and they keep me updated on how I am doing.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scheels Sports. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight