Schenectady ARC Employee Reviews

family oriented agency and a great place to work
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 13, 2018
I loved my 6 1/2 years at Schenectady ARC and only left because I had the opportunity to be a stay at home mom. I still keep in contact with my former supervisor, director and some co-workers. I stop in and visit when I am in the area. I would go back and work there again if they had something available in my desired salary. I felt it was a very supportive work environment as I felt comfortable going to anyone in upper management, including the CEO, and asking questions. It was started by families of people with developmental disabilities to help provide services that were needed and I feel that it still holds that family feel. The hardest part of my job was meeting with families and telling them that the services/supports they needed were not available (usually for fiscal reasons). I loved the flexibility of my schedule and the relationships I formed with the families I served.
Pros
supportive work environment, flexible work schedule, good benefits
Cons
low pay (as is true in this field)
HORRIBLE place to work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  PrincetownNovember 8, 2018
I loved working in various classrooms at my dayhab program. It is physically and mentally challenging and draining, but it is 100% worth it since there are not alot of people in the world that have the heart to do this type of work. Management, senior management and execs are horrible. They say they have an open door policy but they ignore what your concerns are. There is a ridiculous amount of favortism between staff and management. It's been said before "there are more chiefs than indians"
Pros
Outings, arts & crafts, events
Cons
Management, favortism
Loved working with the individuals
day time DSP (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 7, 2018
Working here you begin to understand the individuals they become family. Sometime your all they have and making them happy on a bad day is worth everything. this job is a great opportunity to understand what you are suppose to be doing .
Pros
The individuals
Cons
Lack of communication and poor management
relaxed
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 6, 2018
basically is a place where the clients can call home because it is their home. they have their own room and are tought to dress themselves. they have outings and some even attend school on a daily basis on the outside of the living facility. we try to make it as comfortable and as independent for them as possible.
Pros
you get to cook for the clients thereby increasing your cooking skills
The residents and coworkers are good to work with.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NY 12305July 27, 2018
My experience qorking with the company challenged my way of thinking. And it help add to my professional growth.

The respomsibilities towards the residents was strenous, but meaningful.

The pay was not great, but recommendable to any one who is a student or looking for a oart time job.
ARC is shutting down
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 23, 2017
ARC was a fantastic agency when I started working here 15 years ago. Since then there have been extreme changes. The management has really gone down the tubes, I haven't had a pay raise in years. Now because of the recent raises in minimum wage I'm only making .25 cents more. Other agencies provide $15 an hour for the same work and more benefits.

We have a huge turnover rate. When I first started people had been here for 10+ years. Most people have left since then. We are constantly trying to fill the gap of employment which means employees are staying late and doing way too much overtime to fill the gaps.

The individuals we care for ARE NOT receiving proper care. The management doesn't seem to care about this massive crisis. If anyone rates this company has more than 3 stars they are leading you astray and are blind because there are huge things happening here that are going unaddressed.

I won't be surprised if the company shuts down in a year. They recently closed a house down. That has never happened before. They lied to the staff for the reasoning of the house closing down. It's very sad how this organization is dropping the ball not only on its employees but also the people they claim to care for.
Pros
The individuals, co-workers
Cons
Everything else
The individuals are so much fun to work with.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 6, 2017
The job itself is tough but satisfy. I really enjoy working with the individuals. I do not care for the management team at the dayhab I'm emplyeed for, there is a lot of favoritism and staff are not treated fairly. I also feel that DSP's should be paid a more fair amount since the job can be very physically and mentally challenging. I wish that I could help to improve the place I work at and have tried but things seem to remain the same. I feel as though if some changes were made the job could become my career.
Pros
Individuals are great to work with. It's a different expirience. You grow to love what you do.
Cons
Most, but not all, of the management team at the dayhab I work at do not treat their staff fairly, favoritism and low wages
Say goodbye to your family and friends
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Day programMarch 29, 2018
You know when your pumping gas or getting fast food and you see that. Help wanted sign?
Go there instead. Trust me. Arc will burn you out. Don't go
Pros
Knowing your co workers failed at life too
Cons
Long hours. Trick you into staying late. Clicky.
Good Place to work
Supervisor/Direct Support Provider (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 7, 2018
Good place to work. The culture of the people you take care of are people with disabilities or behavior issues. It's good for some one who is young, but if you are older dealing with behavior issues can be a little much.
Ok place to work need to pay workers more
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 16, 2018
Great place to work great environment to work work with great staff enjoy helping people with disabilities but the wage and benefits and to be worked on
Great place to work just a little under staffed
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 27, 2018
Staffing was the big issue. But the people you work for are great and if they had the money to pay more to get more people to work than they wouldnt have staffing issues
Clicky micromanaged organization
Manager (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 13, 2016
Middle management is where it is at in this company. They could run the agency better than the executives, but you will not be valued for your work and you will be overworked. Don't expect raises. Flexible schedule is wonderful. However, it is a very low paying agency, seems to want quality on the cheap. Over communication on non essential business items and a lack of communication on the very important ones. Executives micro-manage and don't place value on loyal hard working employees. Oh and hope you enjoy people clapping for you every time you arrive at event or meeting.

Felt like I was back in high school with the clicky, and often bizarre management style.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Clicky, micromanaging, low wages, management style
It's not what it used to be...
Employee (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 13, 2017
Senior Management burry their heads in the sand. They refuse to see the crisis going on around them and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. After a recent breach of the top 5 salaries, including bonuses, many employees left. Trying to recruit and retain employee has been nearly impossible.
Just waiting for the day that someone else takes over. I really used to love my job and what I did. The individuals we support are the ones that suffer, and that is sad.
Pros
None.
Cons
Departments are pitted against one another
A way to open your mind with experience in the mental health feild
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 8, 2018
Compelted daily activities with the residents. Show them independence. Passed medication daily. Took the residents on trips to the various stores of their liking.
Pros
Going on outings, teaching independence
Cons
Shortage of staff
good place to work
Developmental Aide (Former Employee) –  Glenville, NYOctober 3, 2017
I loved the people i took care of and the staff was great i would go back if i could the manager had an open door policy and was very supportive and understanding
Pros
outings and vacations with the individuals
Cons
no advancement
Excellent employer full of great opportunitites and wonderful experiences
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 10, 2014
I have had a lot of jobs in my life but working for Schenectady ARC was, in my opinion, the best job I've ever had. I only left due to relocating to another state and I miss my job and the people whose lives I effected daily. Schenectady ARC had a great benefits package, fair compensation and really cared about it's employees and the jobs they did. Anyone working in a direct care position should be so lucky as to work for a company like Schenectady ARC. I am proud to have them on my resume and would highly recommend them to anyone in that area who enjoys a job where they not only get to help people but feel that they matter while doing it.
Pros
Everything - there really wasn't anything I truly didn't like about working there
Cons
Fluctuating staffing, understaffed at times, but provided OT to people like me so pro in my book
Wasn't great
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 22, 2017
Management isn't great. They only care about coverage and when you need days off after working over 140 hours they get very mad and passive aggressive towards you.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 22, 2017
I worked for this agency for 6 years. Very rewarding work. Trainings prepare you for your specific job within the company. Made lasting relationships with coworkers and the residents i provided care too. You earn paid time off as you stay to work there and are generous with giving it out
Petty and vindictive
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 30, 2017
Can't say much else. The harder you work, the less you get paid. And forget about taking a vacation if they need help. You'll be denied. Guilt trips if you do need to call in sick even if you never do.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 2, 2015
This agency as small as it is is very clicky. There was no support when I started and all upper management wanted to do was micromanage. I was not trained as far as where to find paperwork I was reponsible for on their computer system. I was thrown into a very dysfunctional house where staff are on highs, pushing the individuals buttons to point of crisis. Most staff at the residence I worked in showed ZERO respect for the individuals that live in the house they work in.
Cons
Overworked, unsupported, lowest paying agency in the capital region and expect way too much out of you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schenectady ARC. Our community is ready to answer.

Schenectady ARC Reviews by Location