Schenectady ARC Employee Reviews

Enjoyable and friendly work environment
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 20, 2019
My day consisted of working with individuals with disabilities as well as their family members, obtain all services necessary to live a productive life.
Pros
family friendly
Cons
family oriented agency and a great place to work
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 13, 2018
I loved my 6 1/2 years at Schenectady ARC and only left because I had the opportunity to be a stay at home mom. I still keep in contact with my former supervisor, director and some co-workers. I stop in and visit when I am in the area. I would go back and work there again if they had something available in my desired salary. I felt it was a very supportive work environment as I felt comfortable going to anyone in upper management, including the CEO, and asking questions. It was started by families of people with developmental disabilities to help provide services that were needed and I feel that it still holds that family feel. The hardest part of my job was meeting with families and telling them that the services/supports they needed were not available (usually for fiscal reasons). I loved the flexibility of my schedule and the relationships I formed with the families I served.
Pros
supportive work environment, flexible work schedule, good benefits
Cons
low pay (as is true in this field)
relaxed
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 6, 2018
basically is a place where the clients can call home because it is their home. they have their own room and are tought to dress themselves. they have outings and some even attend school on a daily basis on the outside of the living facility. we try to make it as comfortable and as independent for them as possible.
Pros
you get to cook for the clients thereby increasing your cooking skills
HORRIBLE place to work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  PrincetownNovember 8, 2018
I loved working in various classrooms at my dayhab program. It is physically and mentally challenging and draining, but it is 100% worth it since there are not alot of people in the world that have the heart to do this type of work. Management, senior management and execs are horrible. They say they have an open door policy but they ignore what your concerns are. There is a ridiculous amount of favortism between staff and management. It's been said before "there are more chiefs than indians"
Pros
Outings, arts & crafts, events
Cons
Management, favortism
Loved working with the individuals
day time DSP (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 7, 2018
Working here you begin to understand the individuals they become family. Sometime your all they have and making them happy on a bad day is worth everything. this job is a great opportunity to understand what you are suppose to be doing .
Pros
The individuals
Cons
Lack of communication and poor management
The residents and coworkers are good to work with.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NY 12305July 27, 2018
My experience qorking with the company challenged my way of thinking. And it help add to my professional growth.

The respomsibilities towards the residents was strenous, but meaningful.

The pay was not great, but recommendable to any one who is a student or looking for a oart time job.
Great place to work just a little under staffed
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 27, 2018
Staffing was the big issue. But the people you work for are great and if they had the money to pay more to get more people to work than they wouldnt have staffing issues
Lovely company, management sucks, pay horrible
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 25, 2018
this is a good company for a person who is just getting out of high school. but if you don't have a degree to better and move up within the agency I would not recommend, its basically doing CNA work for a low pay rate.
Pros
health care, great clients, able to move up
Cons
management, pay rate
Good Place to work
Supervisor/Direct Support Provider (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 7, 2018
Good place to work. The culture of the people you take care of are people with disabilities or behavior issues. It's good for some one who is young, but if you are older dealing with behavior issues can be a little much.
Say goodbye to your family and friends
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Day programMarch 29, 2018
You know when your pumping gas or getting fast food and you see that. Help wanted sign?
Go there instead. Trust me. Arc will burn you out. Don't go
Pros
Knowing your co workers failed at life too
Cons
Long hours. Trick you into staying late. Clicky.
Ok place to work need to pay workers more
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 16, 2018
Great place to work great environment to work work with great staff enjoy helping people with disabilities but the wage and benefits and to be worked on
A way to open your mind with experience in the mental health feild
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 8, 2018
Compelted daily activities with the residents. Show them independence. Passed medication daily. Took the residents on trips to the various stores of their liking.
Pros
Going on outings, teaching independence
Cons
Shortage of staff
Petty and vindictive
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 30, 2017
Can't say much else. The harder you work, the less you get paid. And forget about taking a vacation if they need help. You'll be denied. Guilt trips if you do need to call in sick even if you never do.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 22, 2017
I worked for this agency for 6 years. Very rewarding work. Trainings prepare you for your specific job within the company. Made lasting relationships with coworkers and the residents i provided care too. You earn paid time off as you stay to work there and are generous with giving it out
great place to work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 2, 2017
DSPs do not make much money per hour. However, the money is there if you are willing to work overtime. Job variety is excellent. There are many different atmospheres to work in.
Wasn't great
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 22, 2017
Management isn't great. They only care about coverage and when you need days off after working over 140 hours they get very mad and passive aggressive towards you.
good place to work
Developmental Aide (Former Employee) –  Glenville, NYOctober 3, 2017
I loved the people i took care of and the staff was great i would go back if i could the manager had an open door policy and was very supportive and understanding
Pros
outings and vacations with the individuals
Cons
no advancement
ARC is shutting down
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 23, 2017
ARC was a fantastic agency when I started working here 15 years ago. Since then there have been extreme changes. The management has really gone down the tubes, I haven't had a pay raise in years. Now because of the recent raises in minimum wage I'm only making .25 cents more. Other agencies provide $15 an hour for the same work and more benefits.

We have a huge turnover rate. When I first started people had been here for 10+ years. Most people have left since then. We are constantly trying to fill the gap of employment which means employees are staying late and doing way too much overtime to fill the gaps.

The individuals we care for ARE NOT receiving proper care. The management doesn't seem to care about this massive crisis. If anyone rates this company has more than 3 stars they are leading you astray and are blind because there are huge things happening here that are going unaddressed.

I won't be surprised if the company shuts down in a year. They recently closed a house down. That has never happened before. They lied to the staff for the reasoning of the house closing down. It's very sad how this organization is dropping the ball not only on its employees but also the people they claim to care for.
Pros
The individuals, co-workers
Cons
Everything else
Productive and fun workplace great staff and management
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 14, 2017
I love working Schenectady ARC its a fun work environment and the staffis great they are helpful i would recommend anyone who love taking care of others or just in general its a great. Place to work
Pros
Free lunch or dinner
It's not what it used to be...
Employee (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 13, 2017
Senior Management burry their heads in the sand. They refuse to see the crisis going on around them and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. After a recent breach of the top 5 salaries, including bonuses, many employees left. Trying to recruit and retain employee has been nearly impossible.
Just waiting for the day that someone else takes over. I really used to love my job and what I did. The individuals we support are the ones that suffer, and that is sad.
Pros
None.
Cons
Departments are pitted against one another

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schenectady ARC. Our community is ready to answer.

Schenectady ARC Reviews by Location