Schenectady ARC Employee Reviews

The residents and coworkers are good to work with.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NY 12305July 27, 2018
My experience qorking with the company challenged my way of thinking. And it help add to my professional growth.

The respomsibilities towards the residents was strenous, but meaningful.

The pay was not great, but recommendable to any one who is a student or looking for a oart time job.
Great place to work just a little under staffed
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 27, 2018
Staffing was the big issue. But the people you work for are great and if they had the money to pay more to get more people to work than they wouldnt have staffing issues
Good Place to work
Supervisor/Direct Support Provider (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 7, 2018
Good place to work. The culture of the people you take care of are people with disabilities or behavior issues. It's good for some one who is young, but if you are older dealing with behavior issues can be a little much.
Say goodbye to your family and friends
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Day programMarch 29, 2018
You know when your pumping gas or getting fast food and you see that. Help wanted sign?
Go there instead. Trust me. Arc will burn you out. Don't go
Pros
Knowing your co workers failed at life too
Cons
Long hours. Trick you into staying late. Clicky.
Ok place to work need to pay workers more
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 16, 2018
Great place to work great environment to work work with great staff enjoy helping people with disabilities but the wage and benefits and to be worked on
A way to open your mind with experience in the mental health feild
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 8, 2018
Compelted daily activities with the residents. Show them independence. Passed medication daily. Took the residents on trips to the various stores of their liking.
Pros
Going on outings, teaching independence
Cons
Shortage of staff
Petty and vindictive
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 30, 2017
Can't say much else. The harder you work, the less you get paid. And forget about taking a vacation if they need help. You'll be denied. Guilt trips if you do need to call in sick even if you never do.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 22, 2017
I worked for this agency for 6 years. Very rewarding work. Trainings prepare you for your specific job within the company. Made lasting relationships with coworkers and the residents i provided care too. You earn paid time off as you stay to work there and are generous with giving it out
great place to work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 2, 2017
DSPs do not make much money per hour. However, the money is there if you are willing to work overtime. Job variety is excellent. There are many different atmospheres to work in.
Wasn't great
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 22, 2017
Management isn't great. They only care about coverage and when you need days off after working over 140 hours they get very mad and passive aggressive towards you.
good place to work
Developmental Aide (Former Employee) –  Glenville, NYOctober 3, 2017
I loved the people i took care of and the staff was great i would go back if i could the manager had an open door policy and was very supportive and understanding
Pros
outings and vacations with the individuals
Cons
no advancement
ARC is shutting down
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 23, 2017
ARC was a fantastic agency when I started working here 15 years ago. Since then there have been extreme changes. The management has really gone down the tubes, I haven't had a pay raise in years. Now because of the recent raises in minimum wage I'm only making .25 cents more. Other agencies provide $15 an hour for the same work and more benefits.

We have a huge turnover rate. When I first started people had been here for 10+ years. Most people have left since then. We are constantly trying to fill the gap of employment which means employees are staying late and doing way too much overtime to fill the gaps.

The individuals we care for ARE NOT receiving proper care. The management doesn't seem to care about this massive crisis. If anyone rates this company has more than 3 stars they are leading you astray and are blind because there are huge things happening here that are going unaddressed.

I won't be surprised if the company shuts down in a year. They recently closed a house down. That has never happened before. They lied to the staff for the reasoning of the house closing down. It's very sad how this organization is dropping the ball not only on its employees but also the people they claim to care for.
Pros
The individuals, co-workers
Cons
Everything else
Productive and fun workplace great staff and management
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 14, 2017
I love working Schenectady ARC its a fun work environment and the staffis great they are helpful i would recommend anyone who love taking care of others or just in general its a great. Place to work
Pros
Free lunch or dinner
It's not what it used to be...
Employee (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 13, 2017
Senior Management burry their heads in the sand. They refuse to see the crisis going on around them and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. After a recent breach of the top 5 salaries, including bonuses, many employees left. Trying to recruit and retain employee has been nearly impossible.
Just waiting for the day that someone else takes over. I really used to love my job and what I did. The individuals we support are the ones that suffer, and that is sad.
Pros
None.
Cons
Departments are pitted against one another
The individuals are so much fun to work with.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 6, 2017
The job itself is tough but satisfy. I really enjoy working with the individuals. I do not care for the management team at the dayhab I'm emplyeed for, there is a lot of favoritism and staff are not treated fairly. I also feel that DSP's should be paid a more fair amount since the job can be very physically and mentally challenging. I wish that I could help to improve the place I work at and have tried but things seem to remain the same. I feel as though if some changes were made the job could become my career.
Pros
Individuals are great to work with. It's a different expirience. You grow to love what you do.
Cons
Most, but not all, of the management team at the dayhab I work at do not treat their staff fairly, favoritism and low wages
nope
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 5, 2017
dont go
please dont go
i beg you not to go
high turnover
just avoid
go if you really are struggling to make ends meet
they will hire anyone because they are desperate
Pros
nope
Cons
too many
Fun
Residence Counselor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYAugust 8, 2017
working the residential program was a nice change. Working in the home had a more relaxed atmosphere than say, a workplace. I loved working with the clients in different capacities.
Pros
overtime
Cons
working weekends
Stressful at times
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYAugust 1, 2017
In my personal opinion we don't get paid as much as we should. The management here is kind of a joke and they don't take serious situations seriously.
Pros
Fun co workers
Cons
Bad management not serious about our safety
Upper administration needs to go
Management (Current Employee) –  SchenectadyJuly 18, 2017
Upper administration needs to change in order for the agency to survive. There are way too many non-essential programs and positions that are draining the agency just for the sake of trying to be everything to everyone.
The top layer of execs need to go so we can start focusing on the individuals again and provide quality services. The incompetency of our leaders and unwillingness to change despite a clear crisis situation, is alarming.
Great place to work!!
Community Living Program - DSP (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 17, 2017
I had an amazing experience with ARC! I learned so many thing and grew professionally! I recommend this organization to anyone who wants to work somewhere for a lifetime.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schenectady ARC. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about