Schenectady City School District Employee Reviews

No real room for advancement
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 9, 2019
Working for the SCSD was tough, and for a woman my age who doesn't go to the gym every day it caused a lot of problems physically. Certain schools were better to work at than others. You really got to see which janitorial staff truly cared for making the kids learning environment truly clean and a safe space. Then you got to see which schools where the teaching staff treated the janitorial staff poorly, which affected their morale.
Pros
all equipment supplied
Cons
poor morale
Great Place if you Believe in Equity, Advocacy and Creative Learning
District Administrator (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 8, 2019
It has been a great experience. We engage in innovative, creative and collaborative projects that help both staff and students grow...You work hard and learn alot.
Pros
Innovation
Cons
Communication channels
work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 4, 2019
It was a good place to work and I loved having the time to spend with my kids. Seeing kids grow from the beginning of the year to the end is rewarding
productive, fast paced, competitive
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 8, 2018
My day was always busy, but always had the tools neccessary to do the job. My direct supervisor was always available when needed if needed. I enjoyed working in the schools cleaning for the kids to have a clean classroom
not very organized
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 3, 2018
working for the school district was temporary wild i attended college. the staff was not reliable and the manager was not understanding. the pay was very low, the only good thing about the job was helping kids and the schedule.
Terrible place to work
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 3, 2018
I would not recommend taking or even applying for employment at this district. They will overwork you and inderappreciate you. Unless you are desperate dont think about working here.
Pros
Cons
A lot
fun
Para-professional (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJune 21, 2018
I love my job here I love working with the students and staff saying good by to student and long time co-works don't have no real con about my position at this time only been a month and two weeks
You have to work in perfect performance to work there.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2018
Some of the staff isn't friendly or easy to get along with. A preschool teacher didn't like me, accused me falsly of not obeying her and being argumentive. They faught unemployment and I won my case. Great district to work for. However, it's like Russian rullet with who your placed under. If they don't like you they do what they can to fire you.
Pros
Loved this job. Just not all the people I worked for.
Cons
Mean staff in some of the school's in different areas.
schenectady
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJanuary 30, 2018
This district is in need of a lot of help and support. Due to the tremendously high poverty rate their are not a lot of resources or parent support. Teachers will do everything on their own with very little guidance.
ALL and all not a good envirnoment
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 19, 2017
They don't really care about the needs of their children and make it hard for staff to do the right thing fir the kids. They also higher people that shouldn't be around special ed kids through the ARC to work with the kids daily. A lot of the higher up staff don't know how to run buildings properly either.
Learning Experience
Special Education Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 13, 2017
The classroom I was in was a hard one for me,it was different. I took so much from the teacher and children. They tough me how to be more gentle,understanding, patient. I came to love the classroom. I asked alot of question so I could understand the children. It was a intensive skills classroom. The typical day would be to help children off the bus and get book bags and jackets off, go to the bathroom or be changed, sing some songs, get breakfast ready do circle time, brushing and lotion, set up for centers, get ready for lunch, bathroom time,help with gym/music, circle time again then get ready to go home
Enjoyable environment with dedicated employees.
Adult Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYNovember 1, 2017
Fairly nice place to work, but there was quite a bit of management turnover while I was there which led to changes in the way programs were run.

I would have stayed but budget cuts were looming and I could not afford to be laid off.
Pros
Schedule, job satisfaction and time away.
Cons
Program changes, physical environment.
Stressful and No Leadership
Paraprofessional Educator (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 31, 2017
Working in this school district made me not want to work in education anymore. There is no leadership and the students are never held accountable for their actions and administrators bend over backward to kiss parents backsides instead of holding them responsible for the actions and behaviors of their children. We've become a big babysitter rather than a school. Employees are underpaid and way underappreciated.
Life of a teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 12, 2017
I am looking for seasonal employment, either full or part time, to supplement my income over the summer. I've been teaching for 30 years. Teaching is challenging and not for the feint of heart, but it does promote interpersonal skills.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Lack of respect
I enjoyed working for them
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 6, 2016
The people that I had the pleasure of working were very nice people who treated me as if I were one of them and for that I loved it an if I don't ever get to work with any of them again I will still miss them a lot it is always nice to feel that you are welcomed being the new kid in the building.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
temp position for now
Fun learning enviroment
Hockey Instructor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 3, 2016
This job was very fun because I got to meet a lot of new people and I got to teach kids about a sport that I really enjoy and they enjoy too. although this program is funded by the city of Schenectady and the Schenectady county rink, other kids from school districts all over were able to attend these camps.
I enjoyed working with my students
ITINERATE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 16, 2016
Some students were quite challenging, but I managed to achieve cooperation from, enough to accomplish the task of teaching and learning the lessons. Above all, I enjoyed teaching my students.
Pros
The school district provided professional development from time to time.
Cons
I had the liberty to make my own schedule and choose location for tutoring sesssions with student.
Offered me a wide range of experiences
Reading Specialist (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 3, 2015
I am grateful for my time working there. I love Schenectady students and have been happy to serve them and their families.
It is a joy serving as a mentor in this community. Children and parents are so appreciative to have assistance mounting hurdles.
Itinerant teacher (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 12, 2015
Mentoring is my life's passion. Going to meet my students is a pleasure, for the most part, unless I am assigned a particularly challenging personality.

Mentoring allows me to share what I have learned and to present my knowledge in a manner that can reach my student to allow her to feel
successful.
Pros
Consistent work and gratifying work.
Cons
Ten month assignments. I want to mentor over the summer break.
I enjoyed an amazing and fulfilling teaching career here. Crushing budget cuts led to my lay off after six years of service with tenure.
Health Teacher (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJune 12, 2015
I had a fulfilling teaching career here that was cut short due to budget cuts. I feel bad for the students who must bear the brunt of this unfortunate situation. However, I am proud to have served with some of the best professionals in the craft. There are many troubled teens here, but also have very promising students as well.
Pros
intrinsic rewards, instructional autonomy, relationship building
Cons
unstable work environment, massive cuts to staffing, compromised environment leading to untenable situation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schenectady City School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Schenectady City School District Reviews by Location