Schenectady County Community College Employee Reviews

Interim position
Interim Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 15, 2018
Job was an interim and I was unable to secure a permanent position due to unfair hiring practices that were taking place within a higher level leader.
Office Assistant | Career and Transfer Services (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 10, 2018
Because I attended the school, working in the career development department helped me understand the ins and outs of the school and what programs they have available.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short hours
Not enough
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 6, 2018
They expected too much work for too little pay and there wasn't enough hours. I was only allowed to tutor 19 hours a week so the maximum I could be paid was $190/week.
Setting students and faculty up for failure
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 28, 2017
Though the administration is very qualified and hard working, it becomes clear fast that the faculty do not respect these individuals and that makes a very difficult situation for adjunct faculty to succeed. Faced many struggles and felt like I was being set up by other faculty members to fail as a professor.
Adjunct
Accounting Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 13, 2017
Unfortunately I have to add to the poor reviews left by fellow adjuncts. If you work here as an adjunct be expected to be provided the textbook a few days before the start of the course or the first of the course than be told your on your own good luck. There is no mentor ship or guidance here as an adjunct. The students are placed in courses that require a minimum of a 12th grade education.but most are at an 8th grade reading and writing level. The students are disrespectful and there is no support from management.
Pros
rewarding working with select students
Cons
management
Typical Adjunct Treatment
ADJUNCT FACULTY (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 26, 2017
SCCC treats their adjuncts like most colleges do. They leave them totally on their own and pay them poorly (less than 3000 for a 3 credit class). I work hard for my students, but there is no future for me here. I have to leave to make a reasonable salary.
Part time professional, Registrar's Office (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 19, 2017
I scanned student documents and helped with the office work in Registration I answered phones. Did some data entry. I assisted at the Registration window with students. I delivered mail to the mail room.
Pros
people very friendly
Cons
the job I had was a little boring wasn't challenging enough
Interactive environment with lots of room to grow
Testing Center Assistant (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYAugust 29, 2017
Professional development and enhancing multitasking abilities were great benefits. I have grown a lot as a professional. I work with studies of all nationalities, genders, orientations, and abilities. Diversity and inclusion are very important to me.
Manageable environment
Field Researcher/STEM Representative - CSTEP (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJune 16, 2017
Working at the college has been a fine experience. Balancing work with school is very achievable and my own supervisor is very flexible with scheduling.
Work Study
Office Assistant - TRiO Student Support Services (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 24, 2017
I love working at school. It helps me get the extra income I need as well as being able to accomplish my academic goals. I also love the people that I get to work with everyday.
Work family
L1 Help Desk/Monitor, Office Support (Former Employee) –  Academic Computing, Career Ser., Trio Student Ser.May 17, 2017
Working in the place where I study has been an invigorating experience. The staff is so supportive in helping me gain knowledge and experience, offering tutoring help when I needed it. They are truly positive role models and mentors that help me excel in my field of study. There are no hard parts of this job because I love what I do. The most enjoyable part of this job is the pleasure I get from helping people by teaching them how to use the computer and not be afraid of it, because "the computer can't do anything unless they command it too."
Pros
Office lunches
Cons
Not being a full time employee with benefits
Good benfits and Union support
Director of Academic Computing Services (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYApril 7, 2017
Excellent state/county job with good benefits and work hours. Many wonderful people to work with that are driven to provide a quality education for the students
Pros
good food
Cons
management
Very low compensation, poor management, but some great coworkers and students
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 20, 2017
There are no benefits and the compensation works out to be about the same as the new proposed minimum wage. The college makes a lot of demands on its faculty, but doesn't treat part-time faculty equally. The administration has no respect for the part-time faculty (and probably none for the full-time faculty either). Most of the employees at the college will ignore your existence, though there are some great people at SCCC. The only thing rewarding about the position are student interactions. The students understand your experience and are often frustrated that part-time faculty are not more involved. The college offers no opportunities for advancement.
Pros
great students, little supervision
Cons
low pay, no benefits, no career advancement, no professional development
Good place to work, New state of the art toys to work witn in classrooms.
Adjunct Professor of Criminal Justice. (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYSeptember 3, 2016
Having been able to teach at the Center City College (CCC) at S.C.C.C., was quite the experience for me, having been able to see the school grow from its opening when I first began there as a student in 1969, as a converted, and only "5" star hotel in the City of Schenectady, to the educational institution it is today, and still growing, and expanding to where the C.C.C. is now where the old W.T. Grants, S.S. Krege's were so many years ago. I still remember walking down Jay Street, when cars were allowed to park on it!
Pros
A good place to teach, or try to get your students to learn something.
Cons
it is difficult to get your students to learn when they don't want to be there in the first place!
Great Student Job
Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYAugust 23, 2016
Average day was sitting at the computer desk and helping students with the computers in the lab.
I learned how to speak to people that had a certain issue.
Management would usually check and see if everything was running correctly and give small task like putting paper into the printer.
Co-workers were great, but the lab I work in usually only had one person working per shift.
Hardest part was dealing with rowdy students.
Enjoyable part was the feeling that you help someone with their work.
worst job i ever had
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJuly 4, 2016
I worked security for these hacks. No professionalism among management or caring for the students. If you actually cared you were seen as naive. What a horrible place the kids have my sympathy
Pros
some coworkers including janitors were hard working decent people
Cons
pay, training or lack thereof, condecending faculty and supervisors.
Extremely Dysfunctional
N/A (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMay 22, 2016
The managers do not communicate with their employees so as a result, people do not know what they are supposed to do and what they are not. The other thing that I have been experiencing is although I get 4 weeks of vacation, when I go to use it, even when giving over a month of notice, it gets denied. There is a high level of conflict within the college and tensions between the IT departments. They used to have just one IT department but one group of people did not like the other group so they revolted and formed their own department. The salaries are awful as well and the department managers kiss the executive management's butt so nothing is ever done about all of the problems within. The enrollment of student's is dropping like a rock as well so they have been laying people off, much of it through attrition
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Horrible pay and low employee morale
Jasmine Pinn
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Schenectady County Community CollegeOctober 26, 2015
Typical day at work would be checking emails, sending out memos, conducting outreach ,staying up to date with the newest trends in education.
Department of Work Force Development is flexible with scheduling
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 6, 2015
The Department of Work Force Development is very flexible with scheduling classes, hours, days of the week and times of year in which to hold classes. There is open communication between the department, and any questions and or issues are resolved very quickly. Very good support is received from other departments. As an adjunct however, the pay is very low.
it was a good job, the people were friendly but customers were not
Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYDecember 31, 2014
a typical day at work was making sure the printers were full of paper, and if students had questions about how to do something i had to help them. i would typically help around 30 people a day, their problems would range from not knowing how to print to questions about how applications worked. i learned that there is an etiquette involved when you work with the public, and no matter how rude someone is to you, when you work with the public the customer is always right. The hardest part of the job was when confrontations in the lab broke out, security would need to be called and things usually got messy. the most enjoyable part was actually helping someone and them being great full, this did not happen to often but it was good to know that i was appreciated there when i did help someone.
Pros
positive people
Cons
the confrontations people would get into