Schewels Furniture Employee Reviews

Would be a good place to work if the store manager was trained and professional
Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NCNovember 20, 2018
Working for Schewel was a great experience at first. I worked under the same manager for 12 years and we were successful. New manager came and everything went downhill. He was not customer friendly. Didn't honor customer warranties, would talk about each employee to the next, would lie and cheat during promotions and did not know how to handle task as a store manager. Store managers are crossed trained in each department. He did not know how to read credit reports, handle inventory nor was he willing to go the extra mile to honor long time customers. Customer service is everything and he was not customer friendly at all and the store took a turn for the worst. Instead of taking responsibly for the things the store manager didn't do he wanted to place blame on others. We complained to our supervisors and it was swept under the rug. If Marc Schewels knew half of the things that went on he would have gotten rid of him. Instead we had to deal with a hostile work environment, unprofessional conduct from the store manger and that made it stressful and unbearable to come to work daily. The numbers speak for itself and long time employees were forced to leave because of his behavior. That store hasn't made sales but a handful of times since that new manager arrived in 2015. The job itself is wonderful but if you have management that is untrained, not professional, creates stressful environments and not trust worthy then no employee will stay their long. Most have quit!
Pros
Salary and Dealing with customers
Cons
Store Managers and working holidays
Should have NEVER accepted the job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reidsville, NCSeptember 20, 2018
Don't even know where to start. Was offered the job through a temp agency because a lady there was out sick. Unfortunately the lady passed away. Within a WEEK of her passing, the store manager and a corporate person brought someone in and hired them right in my face. I had been there over a month and wasn't offered the position. Very unprofessional. Management was a joke. Nasty building. Management talked about customers daily. Wish I had never accepted the position.
Pros
Quitting
Cons
Working there period.
Love this company. Very family oriented. Glad i had the pleasure to do so many things for this company
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJanuary 30, 2018
This is by far the best company I ever worked for. They are for the employee , their family's and definitely the customer's. I have never seen a company that strives so hard to satisfy the customer's. Everyone is so down to earth. Even when you talk to corporate office staff, its like you've known themyour whole life.
Pros
Bonus money
Good job
Truck Loader/Picker operator (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 29, 2018
I really am not in the mood nor have the energy to type something about this. Im very stressed and want a job that meets my requirements and its very hard to do so with good pay or schedule.
Great Furniture great price
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Emporia, VAJanuary 17, 2018
Schewels is really a place of business you can come in and get things done the salespeople have great personality and you have three of them to choose from Schewels in Emporia is great come by anytime
It was productive,fun inverment
Advertising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, VAJanuary 6, 2018
It was productive because everyone works together to get stuff done. It was fun because everyone is happy to help and just happy in general. Everyone who works there works to help the store.
Amazing Work place, with such a kind, high energy atmosphere!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJanuary 3, 2018
I worked a Schewels Furniture Company for a year and a half total. I had some of my greatest experiences in life working there. Everyone was super friendly, including management and employees. It is more like a family than just a job. You have your everyday stresses just like with any place of work but overall it is in my opinion one of the best places to work. Highly recommended!
Delivery Driver/Load /Unloader (Former Employee) –  Emporia, VAOctober 1, 2017
Loading,unloading,assembling and customer service.Hardest part was reading the instructioins to assemble furniture.Customer satification was the best part.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Pay
Fun place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 7, 2017
Very good place to work, always promote within. Lots of opportunities for advancement if you work hard. I worked in the credit dept for 12 years and learned a lot about credit and collections.
Lot of drama between workers and management
Warehouse/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Blackstone, VAJuly 17, 2017
At the time of writing this I am beginning my 4th week of employment. By my third day there I had already been informed on both sides how much disdain they have for each other. The management does not respect or care about his employees therefore the employees have become insubordinate.
Cons
management
Stressful, Back Stabbing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 16, 2017
Awful place to work. They treat you like bad! Managers are two faced and LOVE to not help when needed. Or even step up when we need help training people.
Pros
You get to go home
Cons
Lack of pay
Good
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Eden, NC 27288April 1, 2017
Good place to work good benefits good work environment. Fast paced work but if you like to work you dont mind it as much. The environment is close family like environment
Delivery Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Eden, NCMarch 30, 2017
Great atmosphere to work and family environment te benefits and compensation are good as well as the hours and rate of pay is reasonable. Really enjoyed my job there
It was a good place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamston, NCMarch 26, 2017
It was a good place to work. I enjoyed my coworkers. I learned how to be a credit manager and did that type of job for most of my career. My work hours were ok.
Pros
Ability to advance in my career
Cons
Employee discounts could have been better
Bad decision!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 10, 2016
My day at work consisted of tip toeing around my manager,it made it very hard to sell when she was constantly telling me and my co workers how we do nothing all day and downgrading us, no right could be done in her eyes! The ladies that did the finance part were very rude and back stabbing, talked about customers and the sales people.She would tell me who she was going to fire next and overall threatened us at least once a week that she would fire us and get all new people that knew how to work.
The manager makes all the difference in a job, so being mean, rude and demeaning to your associates doesn't make for a successful team.I have NEVER worked for such a place as the store on Timberlake!! If you think that 12$ an hr. is good, it is,HOWEVER what you have to put up with is definitely not!
The hiring manager in the interview will make you believe that this is the place to be and you will be practically running your own business..NOT TRUE, she will micro manage you to death and monior everything you do.They go through sales people for a reason.The owners are oblivious because they don't see it, they should start to question why this is. There is always a reason when the turn over rate is so high.
I hope this helps whoever is looking to apply there, I just wish I would have known or researched the job before I accepted it!
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Bad management
Working for Schewles
Employee (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 8, 2016
If you are planing on applying for ANY position at Schewel Furniture please reconsider. The Timberlake store is by far THE WORST store that you could work at. The office staff is hateful, unfriendly and miserable. The main manager there is TOXIC. You will have a glowing interview but once you are in you will TOTALLY REGRET IT and be looking for other employment. Each day will become worse and worse. Your personal business if told will be discussed by the entire store including management. Everything you do will be criticized and talked about in a negative way. STAY AWAY......
Pros
You will have a pay check
Cons
Management and staff
Stay away!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elkin, NCApril 4, 2016
All comision when training is over.You only get 3 dallors on every one hundred you sell.Other sales people steal your sales and manager and Corporate does nothing about it.Mark up is so high on furniture and bedding it's hard to make and sells.You are just just a number to the business.Don't make your qota your out the door.Very cut throat bussines.Stay Away!
Pros
nothing
Cons
sales are stolen from you, work on week ends, harass customers
The worst
Sales (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCMarch 6, 2016
This company thrives on getting people to leave. The advertisement says you can make up to 40,000 a year.. Lol. Lucky if you make 24,000. Management is constantly telling you everything you do wrong. Never anything right. They can not keep positions full in sales. They will either fire you or put you in a position to where you will quit.
Pros
Cons
Benfits while you are there, but after 90 days.. If your still there
Stay away!!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Timberlake Road Lynchburg, VANovember 5, 2015
If you enjoy being a slave while your "boss" micro manages you all day then this is a perfect job for you. Awesome company but an absolute terrible boss to work for. In sales you look for a leader to motivate you not someone who sits behind a desk cracking a whip all day while you make them money. No personal time off for family time in less you get in her "personal group" until after 1 year. You will be promised it's like running your own business until you get there and you will figure out real fast why the turnover rate is through the roof. Run very very far from Schewels on Timberlake. it's the worst boss I have worked for in the history of sales. It's the WORST 8 hours you have to spend in the same room with such a mean rude two sided person that you have to call your boss!!!
Pros
Assistant Manger is very helpful and easy to work with, Sales people become like family but also feel the same way about management
Cons
General Management, No time off, No sick leave, 30 min for lunch while Manager takes 1 hr, Very Misleading, Payroll Issues
Nothing good to say.
Management (Former Employee) –  LynchburgOctober 15, 2015
Past employee. Would never have worked for the company if I had known the truth. Management back stabbing, office personnel-mean, rude. Run for your life.
Pros
Cons
Management, owners.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schewels Furniture. Our community is ready to answer.