Schiel's Family Market Employee Reviews

good start up job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAMarch 19, 2019
it was one of my first jobs management was rude hours were long but i dident mind it working in the back got pretty hot i enjoyed the job tho free lunch
Pros
free lunch
Cons
terrible pay
It was a good starting job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 24, 2018
I enjoyed working at Schiel's. I worked their as my first job in order to start making some money for myself. Management is great and family oriented.
Pros
Good starting job
Great First Job
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 18, 2018
Schiel's Family Market is the place for you if this is your first part time job. Customers are friendly and the staff helps create a flexible schedule for you.
Schiels is a terrible place to get a job. All of the department managers are grumpy old farts that think they own their employees
Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 10, 2018
The food isn't what it says it is. The Muslims go in there following their religion properly getting meat that isn't pork or what their religion may conflict with. Well little do you know there is pork ends and extras mixed in with beef and other meats there. This place is a joke.
Pros
Get away with nothing
Cons
They don't take care of you like they properly should
Poor management but decent environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 4, 2018
Frustrating managers to work with that don't concern themselves with any promoting because it's a family-oriented business (and you're not in the family if you work for them). Customers are always snotty, I've never worked somewhere like here where I'd encountered so many nasty customers, but grocery store service being exhausting isn't a surprise when you think about that.
Cons
Short lunches/breaks, Family owned and managed
Stressful
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 28, 2018
Working at schiels have learned about workmenship harding working fast paced work place I enjoyed my time there and hoping to move on to better things
ok
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  paJanuary 15, 2018
Good first job in the beginning, however don't plan on staying here. Company gives very little in terms of a raise and only promotes family to management positions.
Get Up and Go From Start to Finish
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 14, 2018
Non-stop moving from the time you walk in the door to the time you leaving the building. It is a constant need business. Family owned business. Located in a low income area.
its an ok place to work
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAOctober 23, 2017
Its an ok place to work til something better comes along. Pay is not that great. They expect a lot from there employees, but do not compensate properly.
decent starting job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PASeptember 16, 2017
a good place to start out a career in costumer service. Unfortunately it is a relatively low paying job with little room for advancement, Fellow employees are courteous and friendly.
fun place to work, great people , great environment
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 28, 2017
clock in , do routine work, walk the case , get grinds for the morning, fill holes,
cut back product for the day
clean
attend to customers
iv learned how to cut chicken, pork, and most red meats , steaks . london broils , flanks , Delmonico , ny strips , stew meat, stir fry
leaned how to make grinds , sausage .
great family owned business
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 16, 2017
i love working here, great environment friendly people, shifts were long but felt short learned important people skills hardest part of the job was standing in one spot for hours at a time
Good first job
FRONT-END SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJune 7, 2016
Its a great place to start out but not a good place to stay. poor pay and not enough hours because they hire too many people. Definitely a good job for teenagers
Laid Back Work Environment
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 10, 2016
I feel as though I'm over qualified for the job, but I still give it my all everyday. I've worked there for a long time, but haven't seen a great pay increase due to the fact that it's a small company. The hardest part of the job is getting everything organized in the dairy cooler where I work when the order comes in on pallets. This is still very easy because the job isn't very demanding.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor Pay
Good working environment
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAApril 9, 2016
depending on what shift you are working it depends. Like for example night shift is. You go in get a list on what needs to be done. After that you start pulling the store which means pull all the items up front. Then you get another list you need to complete and then you touch up the store make sure it looks nice.
Great people to work with
Meat Cutter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 20, 2015
Pros: There are days where it goes by really quick and it is real busy. The other employees are very friendly and you can make a lot of friends along the way. Benefits are good and cheap compared to other jobs.

Cons: Some days it is not busy at all and you need to look for work. The benefits package is cheap but expensive for how much you get paid. You do not get paid very well for the jobs you do. Family oriented store so you can not really rise in the rankings too often.

I enjoyed working there a lot because of the friends I made along the way. There were a lot of days where I did not want to work what so ever but it paid the bills and kept food on my plate and that is what mattered at the time. Management is good and friendly but there are days where they can be not so friendly as well.
Good first job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Parsons,PennsylvaniaAugust 19, 2015
i have worked their since i was 15 years old. it was a good job when you are in school and need a flexible schedule. i was a cashier the whole 8 years i have been there. i learned to talk to customers, be kind and polite to others, work with others, and customer service. i learned to work with money at a young age. my co-workers, supervisors and managers are like a second family to me. the hardest part of the job is when you have to deal with mean and nasty customers but i learned after a while to deal with it and be kind.
Great first job
Dairy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAAugust 17, 2015
Schiel's Family Market is a great place to work if you are a High School or College student looking for a part time or summer job. However I would not recommend making a career out of it unless you are interested in management,
Job was close enough to my home to walk too but didn't use my abilities to their best.
Bakery/Clean Up (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 13, 2015
I learned that working in a bakery is hard & being a janitor is a job i would never want to have again. Management was a little strict at times but overall we got along. Most of my co-workers were people that i went to school with so i got along with most of them. Hardest part of the job is that i didn't have set hours and my paycheck reflected that. Most enjoyable part of the job is that it was located near where i live and i could walk to it.
Pros
close to my house
Cons
no set schedule, pay sucked
Stressful
Deli Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAOctober 8, 2013
A normal day would include running the shift, dealing with customer complaints, and any other problems that would come up. I did learn how to be a better manager and how to better motivate people to do there job. The hardest part of the job would be having to work shorthanded most of the time and being pulled in 10 different directions. I have no problem doing anything that is asked of me, however it is very hard to get things done when the people you work with have no work ethic.
Cons
no healthcare, poor pay