Schneider Employee Reviews

Found 1,367 reviews matching the search See all 1,460 reviews
Overview
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 19, 2018
Schneider was great treated you like family had great food showers movie room showers great dispatching great pay home time was diffcult but it was a great experience
Deticated route
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  IANovember 18, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was the longer interstate runs because your paid by the mile. this would allow you more miles plus less stoppage due to intersections etc. Also it was drop and hook. The worst part was no time at home 60hrs+ a week. Arriving on schedule to switch out trailers and they haven't started loading. No consideration of weather conditions
Been here for 2 weeks...
Truck Driver (OTR) (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 15, 2018
..and I'm already angry.

I came to Schneider with 1 year of driving experience. I missed my window to take the experienced driver course so they stuck me in with new drivers and I can honestly say there are some things this company does that drives me absolutely bonkers.

First: They NEED to overhaul some of their training curricula and make sure that instructors are talking to each other to stay organized. There were days when three instructors would give you different marching orders. Other training irritations included things like...this "workflow" thing. These are numbers that load planners and drivers can do hand in hand. There's NO reason a driver should have to do what feels like two hours of paperwork and all for an availability number after we also have to deal with the stresses of the road. Anyone with access to a trucker's Qualcomm can see exactly how many hours they have and what they're doing and where they are. Having people do some of that work internally would help raise morale, I think AND shed confusion AND prevent “service failures” which I think is veiled language for “we’re not actually serious about bonuses and we’re just waiting for you to screw one little thing up with all this convoluted paperwork.”

Second: At several points, I felt like Schneider is flatly trying to hold my hand and micro-manage every aspect of what we do when there is a very clear reality we have to deal with on the road. Common sense is policy and they hold it over your head like any little thing is going to cost you your job. Coupling procedures, for example, was one headache.
  more... If you have drivers talking on their phone not doing their job deal with THOSE drivers. Taking your frustrations out on an entire fleet of drivers is unnecessary. Granted, I understand they do not want a repeat of the 1980's incident but there is a better way to do this without making potential drivers feel like you're talking down to us like we're children. Coupling procedures also don't make sense. You don't bounce around to different tasks. Take care of tasks as you approach it. For example, I back up, pull brakes, ensure trailer is lined up and not too high, get out, uncouple electrical and air hoses, pull kingpin lock, lower landing gear and then do the reverse when you couple + ensure kingpin is locked in. Do that every time and you won't miss anything and it's a logical progression. I tried to ask that question and literally got yelled at in front of my group of people. The disrespect was real.

Third: Speaking of talking to people like children...I am NOT the only one with that complaint. Several people in my class were very clearly holding back from screaming because the instructors would flatly speak to us like we couldn't understand the English language. Personally, I am sympathetic to the fact that there are new drivers and we all have to go through the "new" period but to continually rub it in our faces like we can't handle the information given is very grating. That particular day I was half a breath away from calling the previous company I worked for and take a .10 cent pay cut and they’re across the street. I have a great driving record, am on point to the best of my abilities, and take good care of myself and my truck. I’ll take that no-nonsense attitude with me to someone else who won’t stand on my shoulders like a vulture.

When I was working with my previous company, I have been hit by Schneider trucks, their drivers have disrespected and spoken down to me, I have seen their TE's treat their students like garbage, I have been flashed by a few of their not so great male drivers--so I would simply like to remind them that they're not perfect and THEY are the ones who pestered ME for two solid years to join up. I want to get back into this industry and I want this to work out but I will not stand idly by and allow myself to be treated like a know-nothing child.

As of this review, I do not plan on staying with Schneider for very long.
Pros
Good place to start if you've been out of the industry for a while
Cons
Training
November 16, 2018

We're sorry for your experience thus far. Safety is our number one core value and everything we do during training is to make sure our drivers are safe on the road so they can get home to their family. Respect is another core value and the way you were treated is unacceptable. Please reach out to your leader or Associate Relations leaders to provide feedback. We will pass along your feedback to appropriate leaders too. Thanks for your candid feedback.

Good base level warehouse but bad management
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Elwood, ILNovember 15, 2018
I would not recommend this job to anyone now. It's used to be a fun workpace but the management went down and so did the rules. So did the requirements for the individual worker. Instead of work with you, they try to fire you on spot.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Health care, benefits, management
good
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 12, 2018
While I was working for this particular trucking company I experienced life as a trucker. Furthermore, I found my career as a trucker to be an awesome experience.
November 13, 2018

We're happy you had an awesome experience as a truck driver with Schneider. It's our goal to make sure you have a long and successful truck driving career. Thanks for the review.

Power Plus Associate
Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WINovember 10, 2018
I really love it at Schneider. I have been there for roughly 3 years. Looking to move up from what I am currently doing, however. I really enjoy the challenges the position has to offer as well as the new opportunities to learn. Great environment to learn and friendly people to work with.
Pros
Friendly staff, helpful environment, challenging
Overall, good job, good people.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 8, 2018
No free time. No paid holidays. No paid days off unless you ask for a day from your paid vacation days. Tried to go to school and work their and it was ok in the beginning until they fired me because I wasn't doing enough loads per day.
Pros
No hassle or boss hanging over your shoulder.
Cons
Pay is not that good especially if in the Family Dollar branch of Schneider.
November 9, 2018

We're sorry for the way things worked out but are happy you enjoyed your time, for the most part, with us. It's nice to hear you realized one of the wonderful benefits of truck driving, which is being your boss out on the road. Thank you for your review and we wish you all the best.

Constantly on the move, high energy, fast paced
OTR Company Driver (Current Employee) –  West Memphis, ARNovember 8, 2018
10 hours of your day is spent driving. If you're an OTR, you will be driving from coast to coast, through major cities. The people are nice and friendly, always willing to help you.
Pros
drive all over the county
Cons
never home
November 9, 2018

Thanks for the excellent five-star review! We appreciate it and are happy you're enjoying your time with the Big Orange. Schneider has amazing, friendly people that work tirelessly to support the lifeblood of our company, our drivers. Thanks for everything you do and drive safe.

buen ambiente con muchas horas
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WINovember 8, 2018
buen ambiente de trabajo con muchas horas de trabajo
November 12, 2018

Thanks for the review! We're glad that you enjoy Schneider's work environment. Take care and drive safe.

high turn over rate
driver (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 7, 2018
Schneider has moved from a driver run company to a nondriver managed company. The company has a strong profit motive and doesn't care where the money comes from. Charging drivers for Per Diem, Non paid work requirements, many hours waiting for a load to run. It limits the speed on the trucks based on fuel usage and company priority. Team drivers who don't rest as well as solo drivers are rewarded with faster trucks. Bonuses are determined by a number of factors which include buying gas from specific fuel locations. These fueling sites typically have problems like difficult access, small parking, old outdated facilities and so on. Planners are overworked and frequently fail to provide complete and accurate jobs. No phone use while driving forces drivers to park and wait the 10 to 15 minutes to get connected to their driver representatives who are also frequently overworked. In essence Schneider squeezes out everything they can from their employees. Pushing data entry on to drivers, providing poor GPS capabilities relative to the current standards. Turn over rates are on the order of 70% for the drivers.
It is the place to go for a first year experience. If you can make it here you should do well at a good employer. Sadly, rumors are many big companies run the same way.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Hard to make a living as a new driver
November 9, 2018

Thanks for the feedback. We know it can be tough starting out as a truck driver and everything is new but it gets easier as you gain experience. This is why we provide top-notch training. We're not perfect in everything we do and are working hard to make the driver experience continuously better. Take care and drive safe.

This company was very horrible
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILNovember 6, 2018
Management Sucked attendance was horrible for everyone at the job the job was very off task everyone was just all over the place the big bosses was not doing a very good job running the shift
Pros
Two 30 minute breaks
Cons
Two 30 minute breaks
hard work
Assistant Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 4, 2018
i dont want to write a review...I dont have time to write out a fully formed thought of a review for my current employer. Management is awesome. long hours
good place to work
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WINovember 4, 2018
good place to work they are willing to work with you and your live. I would more then happy to keep working here if they would pay a little bit more then what they do
November 7, 2018

Thanks for the wonderful five-star review! Schneider offers many home time options to fit in with your life and understands family is important. We're glad you're enjoying your time with the Big Orange and we continue to look at driver pay on a weekly basis. Take care and drive safe.

Working For Schneider was a great experience
Regional Dry Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 3, 2018
The Company was Great The People there where real helpful would help you out with any problem no matter if it was small or big the work enverioment was real healthy .
November 5, 2018

Thanks for the wonderful five-star review! The people here at Schneider make us great and we're glad to hear of your positive experience. It's our goal to help drivers with any problems and make sure they are successful. Take care.

good place work
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIOctober 30, 2018
love to work there .maintance was very good ,good training was updated and on going .plenty different job paths avialble you get what you put into it.
Pros
plenty of work
Cons
home life
October 31, 2018

Thanks for the wonderful five-star review! Schneider offers top-notch maintenance, quality training and endless career paths for drivers. We're glad to hear you took notice. Take care and drive safe.

Good Company but I disagree on safety
Driver (Current Employee) –  Pittston, PAOctober 30, 2018
Automatic transmissions are unsafe in winter conditions. Schneider disabled the manual mode in my truck. It's very unsafe to drive in snow and ice while the transmission is hunting for gears.

In the past, I have driven automatics where the manual mode could be enabled and was goverened at 45 mph. This was perfect in snow and ice.

Now I no longer have that option. I'll have no choice but to report off every time there is a hint of snow in the forecast.
Cons
manual mode disabled causing unsafe winter driving
October 31, 2018

Thanks for the review. Safety First and Always is our number one core value and we have tested our new automated-manual transmission trucks in the winter and other adverse weather conditions to make sure they are safe for our drivers. We assure you these trucks are safe from our years of testing, and the best way to stay safe during the winter is still by slowing down and using safe driving practices. Take care.

Wonderful organization to work for. Fantastic experience!
Associate General Counsel (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIOctober 30, 2018
My days at Schneider were incredibly busy. I was in charge of Labor Relations issues across the Schneider spectrum. My days were unpredictable; "fires" which arose without warning had to be extinguished. I worked with incredibly bright people every day and was allowed to participate in important decision-making. The "team" with which I worked was wonderful; bright, hard-working, dedicated individuals who were a joy to see and work with every single day.

I have told people since that one should not go to work at Schneider unless one is prepared to work hard. That's the culture. If you work hard and meet expectations, you'll be rewarded. I believe Schneider's "core values" drove virtually every decision I made or participated in. I can't say enough about the experience I had at Schneider. I loved every day I spent there.
Pros
Outstanding work culture and brilliant people everywhere!
Cons
Decisions sometimes took quite a while but it was not Schneider's fault.
Overwhelming and Stressful Workplace
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIOctober 28, 2018
Typical days at Schneider consisted of long hours. I learned most of my driving experience at this company. The overall management didn't have a lot of knowledge in the field of trucking. The workplace was uninviting. The hardest part of the job was learning the robes of truck driving, and balancing my work schedule. Being on the road and working for myself was the most enjoyable part of working for Schneider.
Pros
Driving Experience
Cons
No Home Time
October 30, 2018

Thanks for the review. We know starting off as a truck driver can be overwhelming at times and that's why we offer continuous training and a driver support team. We appreciate your review because we're always looking for more ways to make Schneider better.

Productive & in a fast pace manner.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Conover, NCOctober 24, 2018
Being professional & being safe Also being on time with an assigned load assignment. Also knowing how to managed your 70hr. clock for the week. to breaks are very short in a 14hr work day.
Pros
Get an every week paycheck
Cons
34 reset could be longer.
October 25, 2018

Thanks for the review and for being professional and safe. We love when drivers exemplify our core value of Safety First. Drivers are the captain of their ships and we expect them to manage their time effectively and take breaks when needed. Drive safe out there.

Great teamwork
Intermodal Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2018
Great people, low pay , relaxed environment much turnover great location not sure if there’s more to say than this but hope it helps evaluate this employer
Pros
Employees
Cons
Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schneider. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight