Schneider Employee Reviews

Found 1,562 reviews matching the search See all 1,662 reviews
Job descriptions
Driver (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 14, 2019
Good place to work great way to get a CDL license good people Great equipment pay isn’t that Great about average rate minimum wage Just another decent Job
June 18, 2019

Thank you for the candidate feedback and review. We care for each and every one of our drivers. And want to ensure we give them all the tools to become a successful truck driver. Drive safe out there!

Great place for starting your trucking career but the pay isn't enough
Regional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  New Orleans LaJune 14, 2019
Schneider was a very good company to start with the training was great, the management was very understanding, but the pay wasn't enough to cover my cost of living. Some days I would bring home a $400 check and that's just not enough for me to be gone the entire week for but other than that it's a great company to start out with.
June 18, 2019

Thank you for your feedback and review. We review pay weekly to make sure it's competitive in the marketplace. We know we're not perfect in everything we do but we are listening to drivers to make us better. Drive safe and take care!

It is a grind...
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 13, 2019
Be ready for the long hard hours without much praise.
With an environment like this, it has the potential to turn quickly. Great place to get feet wet in your career and move on.
Good Company
Professional Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 13, 2019
Very easy days. Great working environment and friendly staff. The hardest part of the job is being away from home. Trucking got some pay issues they have to fix. Most companies have the same pay issues to drivers.
June 18, 2019

We appreciate your review! We're proud of our focus on safety, friendly associates and open door policy. It's some of the many things that make Schneider a great place to work. We agree truck driving is not for everyone but many drivers enjoy seeing the country and the new challenges it brings every day. Say and drive safe.

The work was easy
Driver Cdl A (Current Employee) –  Westfield, MAJune 12, 2019
The job was or but way to many new drivers right out of school. They destroy equipment and have no clue what a pretrip is or how to fuel a truck. This is a slip seat account and new drivers are always taking keys home and management dose nothing about it. You come in and while there are trucks none have keys and you wait for one sometimes for hours.
June 18, 2019

We're sorry for your experience. We hope you shared this information with your DBL even the concern about new drivers not properly taking care of equipment. Our training is on going and we hope our veteran drivers can help new drivers to be successful. Drive safe!

Drivers are a number, NOT valued & treated like they are ignorant & stupid!!
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXJune 11, 2019
I worked for the Watkins Shepherd division and LOVED my manager & dispatcher. I also LOVED that division. BUT...
Schneider owns them and THAT is what made the job
Miserable!!
1. 5 weeks LATE on my bonus! ( they kept finding little excuses)
2. CONSTANTLY messing with my pay!!!
3. They WILL put you through a sleep test and will NOT tell you before you start working there...
A. They will make you schedule about a week AFTER you start.
B. You WILL be FORCED to sign a weekly deduct pay form BEFORE YOU TAKE TEST for total amount of $1500!!!!! or.....you are FIRED!!!!
C. This is BEFORE YOUR INSURANCE HAS KICKED IN!!
D. Also BEFORE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO QUIT and NOT OWE them a ton of money for any schooling, flights and orientation!!!
E. So your choice is sign the sheet to owe the $1500 if you fail the sleep test (which MAJORITY of people FAIL)
or OWE SCHNEIDER ALL THAT MONEY from orientation!!!!
F. IF you FAIL that sleep test.....YOU ARE NOW DIAGNOSED WITH SLEEP APNEA and will ALWAYS have to wear that horrid mask EVERY NIGHT FOR ....ANY....OTR JOB YOU WORK AT!!!!!!! Or....you will be OUT OF A JOB....PERIOD!!!!!
G. That sleep test is ...NOT... DOT MANDATORY!!!!!
H. Schneider just wants to COVER THEIR BUTT if an accident happens !!!
4. You will also constantly be doing different video training. These videos talk to you like you are a a 3rd grader! Things like:
In a sing song voice made for grade school...
When you get to your destination, the first thing you do is
  more... go to the back and open your doors.
REALLY??!!!!!! (This was AFTER 3 months working retainment video!!)
5. YOU are nothing but a NUMBER!! EVERYTHING is done through their APP That THEY ADMIT DOES ....NOT WORK....WITH EVERY PHONE!!!!. So good luck getting ANY INFORMATION CHANGED!!!! OR DOING ANY of their video assignments etc! It took a MONTH of phone calls to get my account number changed! Was put on hold, transferred, not called back, transferred, hung up on, constantly told to go to app they can't personally help you, transferred, and I.T. NEVER CALLS YOU BACK!!! etc etc
I fnally got a hold of a LIVE payroll person. I BEGGED her to help my situation. She scolded me like I was 8 about this was NOT allowed, but went ahead and manually entered new info. When I checked back a few hrs later....SHE HAD ALREADY GOT IN TROUBLE FROM SCHNEIDER FOR....MANUALLY ....HELPING ME!!!!!!
11. By the way...I have a Samsung Note 8 and ATT!! My phone has NO PROBLEM with ANY APP...EXCEPT...THEIRS!!!! Remember THEY ACTUALLY ADMIT....THEIR APP DOES NOT WORK WITH ALL PHONES!!!! BUT....DO THEY FIX IT......NO!!!!!
12. At orientation I told them my middle intial was wrong! Even THEIR people in orientation Could NOT GET IT FIXED!!!! My middle initial is STILL NOT RIGHT!! I could have IRS problems down the road DUE TO SCHNEIDER NOT giving a flip about their drivers!!
13. Finally...63 mile p/hr trucks WITH radar that they enforce a 7 sec follow distance ( that is equal to about SIX SEMI LENGTHS), Refrigerators have been in trucks for OVER 15 yrs...Schneider cares about drivers sooo much that they are JUST NOW after ALL these years...STARTING to put them in their trucks!!!
14. OH and if you like your truck washed?? GOOD LUCK!!!
ONLY at PM'S!!!! If you work LTL.....THAT IS ONE...PER...YEAR!!!! You will ALWAYS be driving a DIRTY TRUCK!!!!!
14. My advice...... BLOCK their number & RUN AWAY FROM THEM AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Read my review too many to list
June 18, 2019

We're truly sorry about your experience with us.It does not reflect our core values. We are always looking for driver feedback and will make sure to share these concerns with our leaders. Thank you for your feedback. We wish you all the best.

Care only about bottom line
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 10, 2019
Im currently working for them. Ive been out for 11 weeks with only 5 days off and instead of them letting me go home 2 days early (i even offered to pay for my own plane ticket) they said no because it “hurt their revenue”. Dont expect anything from this company, they do not care at all about their drivers and never keep their word
Pros
Other drivers are cool
Cons
Lies and poor management
June 11, 2019

We're sorry you feel this way. Integrity is our core value and this does not reflect who we are. We care for all our drivers and it's our goal to maximize your miles and time at home. Thanks for the feedback.

Great place to work!
Hazardous Material Tanker Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 10, 2019
Great place to work. Management was great and so was the staff. Enjoyed exploring different states and meeting new people. Pay was good. If you have a family it might be a little hard to leave them.
June 11, 2019

Thanks for the great review! Our drivers make it a fantastic place to work. We have many driving jobs available if you're ever interested in coming back!

Professional Driver
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Sturtevant, WIJune 9, 2019
I was on a dedicated account. There can be some steady money made but it was hard on the family being away from home. Driving just isn't for everybody.
June 11, 2019

Thanks for the review. We agree truck driving is not for everyone. We wish you all the best.

Great starter program for new driver
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 9, 2019
You will drive to almost every state in the US. Schneider is a very thorough driving school. There management in my experience was great they will treat you with respect and dignity.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunch while in training
Cons
Pay
June 11, 2019

Thanks for the review! We're glad you enjoyed your driving job and time here. Take care.

Lack of respect and support for lower level leadership. Policy/procedure/Core Value inconsistencies.
Account Service Manager/Driver Business Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2019
The driver experience is promoted, yet during my tenure of just over 5 years, I didn't feel that lower-level management was respected and valued, nor were the Core Values of Integrity and Respect followed in particular. I had felt much disrespect and being talked down to from various members of upper management across the two divisions I worked in, so to me, this appeared to be the culture. I didn’t feel it appropriate nor professional for one Manager to yell me at me in public out the blue when I had been put in the middle of a startup and things were missed without this manager spending what I felt to be almost no time with me to cover procedures, expectations, etc.; Neither for a member of senior leadership to be yelling at me at the top of his lungs, from what I felt, over some email which I didn’t understand what he was talking about, nor for a different senior leadership member to tell me I’m not a team player without knowing any of my prior contributions and accomplishments, and also telling me my only recognition is my paycheck. I’ve felt the overall support of lower level managers to be very lacking as well. Once a Driver Associate stood up and threatened me during a meeting when my manager at the time was present. When I raised the issue afterward, I was quite disappointed when my manager at that time denied seeing it, even though he sat right next to the Driver Associate and had actually intervened at that moment. I've also had Driver Associates swear at me and insult me, and when I brought it up to my most recent manager, I feel further action could have been  more... taken other than simply telling me, “You guys just have two different viewpoints.” I didn’t feel it was consistent for a senior leadership member to criticize me that I’m not firm enough with my Drivers, then my manager override my actions, which I did for the benefit for the operation, tells me I’m too firm, and only appeared to listen to Driver’s sides of the story. I had an injury during the startup I was on, leading me to go to the ER, though I kept coming to work and toughing it out in pain due to it being a start up. I feel the least amount of concern my managers could have shown was to ask me how I was doing, though none of them ever did. At a later date, an hourly associate’s wife goes to the ER, and it didn’t seem at all equally appropriate for my manager to run up to him the next morning to ask if everything was ok. From the Integrity standpoint, I felt it was very unprofessional for my most recent manager, refer publicly to one other Driver Associate as a “dumb (you know what)” and another as an “idiot”. I also felt an inappropriate and unwelcomed critique was made regarding my service related hearing loss. Additionally regarding integrity, I didn’t think it was proper for one particular manager to tell me during an interview of the hesitation of hiring me for a position that I applied for, because I'd be missing two additional weeks of work during the year due to my required military Reserve training. Regarding reviews, I feel one manager could have coached me upfront on a development area rather than wait until it was time for a semi-annual review, and in my opinion, could have given me examples when I asked to clarify; this manager was unable to and appeared to be very vague. I felt it very impersonal and unappreciative for my most recent manager to simply send my review by email with a note for me to review, sign, and return before the deadline just days later, rather than having a sit down discussion; My first time ever receiving a review without a sit down. This was another review which I felt development areas could have been discussed thoroughly rather than waiting until the review, and in my viewpoint, many of the points in the review appeared to be opinion based. For instance, my manager made a general statement to “Admit your wrong and move on.”, which I felt was because this manager felt challenged over disagreements we had. One disagreements in particular was regarding Drivers’ pay; On at least two occasions, I wanted to pay Drivers according to the written policy, and I was denied it either because my manager wasn’t aware of the policy or this manager had a different opinion other than what was stated. I also don’t believe this manager was aware of my experience or education level, and I felt as if this manager had simply put themself on a higher level, stereotyping me based on my lower position. This manager didn’t even realize I had a Bachelor’s Degree, and it was from the same school they attended, yet this manager even interviewed me for the position I was in. I also didn’t believe it was integral for both my manager and their boss to instruct Drivers to violate company policy (not DOT) by going “Off Duty” after their 14, and continue to unload, as long as they “parked on site”. I was surprised to learn a Driver who went off an exit ramp wasn’t held responsible because he wasn’t expected to slow down beforehand due to the "danger of traffic behind him". Also surprising to me were loads being accepted as heavy for the California bridge laws, as long as they “didn’t pass a scale”. When when enforcement came down to refrain from doing this any longer, a member in Customer Service raised an issue, and loads were resumed to being accepted as California heavy once again. Regarding the overall environment and culture; of all my work experience, I've never felt such a non team working atmosphere with so many individuals having their own agenda wanting to check their boxes rather than work together toward a common goal to get the ultimate job done. I felt that every day was a battle of finger pointing. Even when I left one position, I had put everything in order for my successor to be set up properly, and I didnt feel like this person was a team player, soon complaining about my possibly missing something and trying to throw me under the bus with our manager. In summary from my perspective and experience; upper leadership lacks basic people and communication skills, has a lack of respect and support toward lower level management, the overall working environment is not a team working culture, and there are inconsistencies in “walking the talk” regarding the Core Values, particularly Integrity and Respect. As the saying goes, “People don't leave jobs, they leave managers” "No bad students, only bad teachers" At the end of the day, leaders need to be supportive, respectful, fair, and consistent and also need to set a professional, team building example in order to be effective, especially amongst higher echelons in the organization. I felt my time there was a learning experience in more ways than one.  less
Pros
Benefits. Various opportunities at HQ in Green Bay.
Cons
Lack of teamwork in the culture. Upper Leadership lacking basic social skills.
Typical large organization
OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 8, 2019
Fairly typical problems and benefits associated with a large organization. Some very good leaders, some not quite as good. If one puts they mind to it they have the opportunity to grow and move around.
hard work
truck driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 7, 2019
you work long hours never home when you try to come home they take their time to get you there. low pay and horrible dispatching job. wouldnt recommend.
June 11, 2019

Thank you for your review, and we're sorry for your experience. Drivers are the lifeblood of our company and we always want them to feel valued.

A good starter company
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 7, 2019
all schedule available doesn't mind putting you bqck in training if neededtouch freight they use tablets ez pass I just say 1 of tge best first company to work for as far as intermodal goesWith anytrucking company its not going to be perfect but their tolerable
Pros
Home daily
Cons
Communication
June 11, 2019

Thanks for the review! Our driver leaders and all associates work for our drivers. You are the backbone of this company and we appreciate all of our driver's hard work. We appreciate your feedback to help make us better.

Productive, fast pace, fun.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 6, 2019
Great place to work a typical day would include checking on all m drivers and making sure no loads failed overnight, the best part of y job was ensuring the safety of m drivers, and making them feel as comfortable as posable while out on the road.
Pros
Friendly staff, great work place.
do not believe recruiters
CDL Driver (Commercial Drivers License Driver) (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 5, 2019
area planner guy who assigns loads.. needs to be fired. rarely made 2000 miles per week. sat 3 days several times in weeks employed there. but always 1 or 2 days. cant get $ if wheels are not turning
June 11, 2019

We're sorry for your experience. We care for all our drivers and it's our goal to maximize your miles. Freight fluctuates and sometimes has soft spots but we want drivers to reach out to leaders if it becomes a concern. We have a huge support team behind you to see you succeed, including DBLs, Operation Managers, safety leaders, Associate Relations and more. Thanks for the feedback and take care.

Work Environment
Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 5, 2019
Loved working with my boss but other departments were not understanding and not able to perform change very easy in departments that would not follow thru with new processes.
great benefits
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJune 5, 2019
schneider is a good company and a good place to work. Maintenance is good,its the largest truck company in us. excellent benefits. well pay, paid vacations
Pros
good rep
June 11, 2019

Thanks for the review! We're glad you enjoyed your OTR driving job and our amazing driver support team. Take care.

Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table.
Label Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Elwood, ILJune 3, 2019
The company is a fair and well ran organization that give equal opportunity to all that is willing to be a productive model citizen.
The management is mostly far.
Productive workplace
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  NormandieJune 3, 2019
Schneider was a good productive work place. For the most part everyone does their job and is working. If I had the chance to go back I would. I left for reasons I cannot control.
Pros
Very lenient
Cons
Short breaks, far walks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schneider. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight