Schnitzer Steel Employee Reviews

Worst
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  TacomaNovember 12, 2018
Back stabbers. Be careful if you think the other drivers like you cause they will get you fired and get together and make up some BS on you and management will listen and believe it.
Pros
Not bad
Cons
Back stabbers
unprofessional, harsh managers
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAAugust 16, 2018
At first I enjoyed working here until about after a year. The management there is a joke! They tried to fire me for no reason and that didn't go in their favor, DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!!!!!!
Terrible Management
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 16, 2018
Thought it was a great place at first and then realized that the general manager was an uneducated and incompetent liar that was threatened by my formal education and aspirations to become a GM. They will work you into the ground and only point out the bad. Terrible place to work.
Pros
Cons
Waste of time
Ug
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fife, WAJune 30, 2018
This used to be a great place to work but over the last four years the management has changed multiple times and the head doesnt know what the tail is doing, management has never done the jobs that the workers do but like to criticise the employees.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
you have to get permission to turn a wrench, there afraid you might hurt yourself
Horrible management at Tacoma location
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 19, 2018
Horrendous management that uses bullying and intimidation tactics rather than actually managing. Zero family or home life as the hours expected to work are unrealistic and so stressful! Very hostile work environment with no team atmosphere or support. Was initially excited about joining the company and the union benefits it came with. I quickly learned that it's very cut throat and no amount of benefits sugar coats how far down they beat you as a person.
Pros
Benefits, company paid work boots and equipment.
Cons
Poor managememt, truly are a # and not a human being, worked like a dog with constant unrealistic expectations
Do not work for these guys
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 15, 2018
Terrible place to work for. Supervisors weren’t even trained on the lockout tag out process and spoke broken English. Magnet sucks and it’s so hard to get in touch with HR. Complete waste of time. If actually have skills that will benefit a company then don’t take them there.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
The entire company
would not recommend
Management (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 13, 2018
worked here for just under a year, pay is minimal, management is spread to thin. Benefits suck pay isn't good. No incentives for staff or management, lots of broken promises regarding pay. High turnover rate training is non existent
Pros
its a job
Cons
short breaks short lunches, dealing with violent customers every day, lazy co workers
Great place to work, great employees,
California Vehicle Retirement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAJune 10, 2018
love work at there, great environment, great employees, good benefits, great hours of operations, pto hrs, supervisors are hands on, the training class they give is hands on so you can learn a lot.
Pros
pto, benifits
Not great at managing
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melt ShopJune 4, 2018
I feel this company has lots of employees that get away with things that most should never get away with who create hostile work environments and there are managers who cover it up. Others will take the fall. Horrible management
Pros
they hire anyone
Cons
bad management
Executive Assistant
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 29, 2018
Great place to work, always interesting and challenging work. Skills are used and learning new skills with project work. People are wonderful, great environment.
Productive and fun
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAMay 22, 2018
Worked with a group of great people who took their jobs seriously. Work was busy but rewarding, management was typically available to help and give guidance. Pay was good and benefits were also good.
Very busy great customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Summit, ILFebruary 25, 2018
Worked at Pick n pull in summit ill typical day is very busy especially in summer the main manager who is in control of the cashiers has no proper training most the time she was in the office and not helping to properly train new people just showed how to do it few times how to operate and count your drawer and charge customers and than after that your on your own...the female employees working as cashiers have attitude problems dont even ask them any questions because they will roll your eyes at you and make angry faces easy job but i wouldnt recommend this location
Pros
Benefits overtime pay
Cons
Short breaks not enough proper training very busy
Fake it until you make it
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 8, 2018
Everything with the company is a farce...they will tell you safety is the top priority and then they have you working with low grade PPE, working in 100 degree weather with no breaks/water AND then 0 degree weather with no consideration. Production and numbers is all that matters. Low pay and tyrant leadership above the store level. Stay away as this place has injuries left and right, pay issues, and the average employee stays less than 90 days.
Pros
Unlimited overtime
Cons
Advancement, pay, safety, environmental nightmare, etc
It is an unhealthy work environment.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 25, 2018
I joined Schnitzer Steel for the benefits for my family. I quickly found that my co-workers were unwelcoming. I will only say that my job was in transportation in Tacoma, WA. Essentially, my co-workers (or equals) had talked badly about me so much, and threw me under the bus, that the management fired me for something I DID NOT do.
The saddest part about the whole thing is that I trusted and confided in, a certain person of, the management. This was after quickly catching on to the culture of the work environment..
I was never late, never missed a day, and had. Zero prior warnings or offenses. Not to mention it was union lol.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Micromanaging co-workers. Weak willed management
Management is awful
Rolling mill utility (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 16, 2018
The higher ups are ok but direct management is awful.
CO workers are great and fun to work with.
It’s a big family.
Safety is pretty big there and cameras are everywhere.
Pros
Good money long breaks
Cons
Managers harassing you daily. Bullies instead of team leaders
Great Company to work in, long term..
Call Center Representative Lead (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 4, 2018
Great people and a staff that is trained to look for changes to make the working experience better. Any problems are quickly resolved with minimum delays.
Pros
People are wonderful
Cons
Industry is struggling
Accounts Payable Manager
Accounts Payable Processor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 2, 2018
She seemed like a nice lady just wish that her communication skills were better, because she could have let me know that the last day was going to be my last day, it would have save everyone alot of problems.
Excellent Company
Helpdesk / Technical IT Support (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR 97201December 18, 2017
From the CEO down to the average employee, I found that the Company was an excellent place to work
Fellow employees were awesome to work with
Management was excellent for the most part
Pros
Excellent place to work
Cons
none per se
Office manager was the best
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GADecember 18, 2017
Agian office Manager was awesome as for others I will leave that alone They don't care about you or your family or if you have kids any of that just as long as you are there at 730 am
Cons
To many people being a boss they do not care about you or your family
Very high stress employment environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 9, 2017
Very difficult place to work. I was hire as General Manager but was never given the opportunity to manage my yard. Had constant interference from other managers. This facility was purchased for 75 million, but was only worth maybe 10 million. So, upper level management was constantly trying to cover there tracks. Employees from the former owner created a hostile enviorment for the new management. False acusations were leveled on new management and upper level management in fear of the labor force walking off the job released the new management. Information about the difficulties of this location were never disclosed to this new manager.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schnitzer Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about