Schnitzer Steel Employee Reviews

Worst
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  TacomaNovember 12, 2018
Back stabbers. Be careful if you think the other drivers like you cause they will get you fired and get together and make up some BS on you and management will listen and believe it.
Pros
Not bad
Cons
Back stabbers
Horrible management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 1, 2018
Please don't work here. They have gone though so many people in the office and will not be any different no matter how hard you work. They run them off if office manager gets jealous .please please don't go there!!!!
Pros
Cons
Horrible management
Horrible management at Tacoma location
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 19, 2018
Horrendous management that uses bullying and intimidation tactics rather than actually managing. Zero family or home life as the hours expected to work are unrealistic and so stressful! Very hostile work environment with no team atmosphere or support. Was initially excited about joining the company and the union benefits it came with. I quickly learned that it's very cut throat and no amount of benefits sugar coats how far down they beat you as a person.
Pros
Benefits, company paid work boots and equipment.
Cons
Poor managememt, truly are a # and not a human being, worked like a dog with constant unrealistic expectations
would not recommend
Management (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 13, 2018
worked here for just under a year, pay is minimal, management is spread to thin. Benefits suck pay isn't good. No incentives for staff or management, lots of broken promises regarding pay. High turnover rate training is non existent
Pros
its a job
Cons
short breaks short lunches, dealing with violent customers every day, lazy co workers
Productive and fun
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAMay 22, 2018
Worked with a group of great people who took their jobs seriously. Work was busy but rewarding, management was typically available to help and give guidance. Pay was good and benefits were also good.
It is an unhealthy work environment.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 25, 2018
I joined Schnitzer Steel for the benefits for my family. I quickly found that my co-workers were unwelcoming. I will only say that my job was in transportation in Tacoma, WA. Essentially, my co-workers (or equals) had talked badly about me so much, and threw me under the bus, that the management fired me for something I DID NOT do.
The saddest part about the whole thing is that I trusted and confided in, a certain person of, the management. This was after quickly catching on to the culture of the work environment..
I was never late, never missed a day, and had. Zero prior warnings or offenses. Not to mention it was union lol.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Micromanaging co-workers. Weak willed management
unprofessional, harsh managers
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAAugust 16, 2018
At first I enjoyed working here until about after a year. The management there is a joke! They tried to fire me for no reason and that didn't go in their favor, DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!!!!!!
terrible working conditions
Groundsman (Former Employee) –  Everett, MAFebruary 16, 2019
Mgrs. and Supervisor have no integrity. Do not care of anyone's safety. Only care about themselves. Union does nothing for its members. The worst place I have ever worked at.
Productive workplace with friendly people
Customer service representitive (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 18, 2019
Great job I just have to move on due to an unforeseen housing situation. Overall I would of liked to continue working for the company, but currently is not the right time for me.
No Advancement. Under Paid
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 7, 2019
Under Paid being worked in the ground multitasking all over the place health risk.from smoke to material.low morale.bad. security faulty equipment right.now it's not a place i would recommend to no one for employment
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Heavy workloads. Underpaid

Want to know more about Schnitzer Steel?

Ask a question
Do your due dilligence before taking a position here.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 25, 2018
I have had my fair exchange of experiences working jobs, but none of that I can recall feeling so strongly about to where I feel the need to express myself with a review. I worked at the Portland location through a temp company swing shift in the shredder department for about two months. It was quite the experience working there!!! so much so I dont believe a review would be able to properly describe those experiences, while keeping it short, descriptive, and maintaing a since of professionalism & positivity even if your true feelings differ from that. I will say this (particurly to the managers of the shredd depart) any area that I lack in or may be a bit ineffective I can work on & improve each an every second. Its alot harder to improve Cowardness an lack of character well off into your later years it may just be who you are think about that.
Supervisor
Administrative Assistant / Tax Parapro (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 5, 2018
Amazing ability to work with the individual: increase's individuals abilities while respecting personal responsibilities. Department head responsive and accountable.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Downtown parking
Ug
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fife, WAJune 30, 2018
This used to be a great place to work but over the last four years the management has changed multiple times and the head doesnt know what the tail is doing, management has never done the jobs that the workers do but like to criticise the employees.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
you have to get permission to turn a wrench, there afraid you might hurt yourself
Great place to work, great employees,
California Vehicle Retirement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAJune 10, 2018
love work at there, great environment, great employees, good benefits, great hours of operations, pto hrs, supervisors are hands on, the training class they give is hands on so you can learn a lot.
Pros
pto, benifits
Hard work cheap pay
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Johnston, RIDecember 8, 2017
Pick n pull is a fun place to work and everyone on the production team are great guys and all get along
Management sucks and constantly lie to the employees and don’t pay never give raises and barely receive bonuses for over working
Management just lines they’re pockets while everyone else works hard
Not great at managing
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melt ShopJune 4, 2018
I feel this company has lots of employees that get away with things that most should never get away with who create hostile work environments and there are managers who cover it up. Others will take the fall. Horrible management
Pros
they hire anyone
Cons
bad management
Terrible Management
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 16, 2018
Thought it was a great place at first and then realized that the general manager was an uneducated and incompetent liar that was threatened by my formal education and aspirations to become a GM. They will work you into the ground and only point out the bad. Terrible place to work.
Pros
Cons
Waste of time
Do not work for these guys
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 15, 2018
Terrible place to work for. Supervisors weren’t even trained on the lockout tag out process and spoke broken English. Magnet sucks and it’s so hard to get in touch with HR. Complete waste of time. If actually have skills that will benefit a company then don’t take them there.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
The entire company
It was ok
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Concord, NHNovember 14, 2017
Lots of gossip,drama, management if they like you you can move up in the company ,they tend to get rid of employees who are older and have been with the company a long time.decent benefits and over time. Management tells you what you want to hear then dissmiss's you .
Pros
Overtime
Executive Assistant
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 29, 2018
Great place to work, always interesting and challenging work. Skills are used and learning new skills with project work. People are wonderful, great environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Schnitzer Steel. Our community is ready to answer.