Schnucks Employee Reviews

Found 1,027 reviews matching the search See all 1,031 reviews
Flexible hours with good benefits but horrible pay and bad management
Center Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Wildwood, MODecember 30, 2018
I liked the people I worked with. I also like that they offered flexible hours and offered benefits for part time employees. However, the company is certainly not employee-oriented by any means. There is constant turnover and they do not hire people to replace the workers who left. They expect all of the job duties of each department to magically get done at the same rate even when they have cut hours and/or haven't replaced workers that have left, putting extra stress on remaining employees. Advancement within the company is almost nonexistent, and I really only worked in the store, not at corporate. I was there for four years and given put-offs and run-around responses when I would talk about job advancement. When I finally did get a straight answer from the store manager, I was told that to move up, I would have to relocate to another store and there was nothing currently open in ANY of the Schnucks stores. The store manager clearly just did not care enough to look into this.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No advancement, horrible management, little help
All Chiefs /No Indians
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  STLNovember 28, 2018
I've worked with this company for over 10 years, and enjoy the customers What I've learned working there is diversity. Management sucks and is very judgmental. the work cultural is colorful and busy, customers love us!
however the hardest part is the Leadership, Responsibility and level of disrespect that management displays should be a goal within the company.
Pros
Weekly Pay, Great atmosphere to work and engage with customers
Cons
No Growth, No chance to advance, No decent raise, Disrespectful management, favoritism
Waste of time.
Cashier, stocking, meat, overnight, porter (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 27, 2018
I spent 2 years with this company in many different departments. One of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Low pay. Insulting raises. Like .5 cents every 1000 hrs. Considering u are only scheduled 20 ish hours a week it’s pretty bad. Management a nightmare. Had no idea how to run store or deal with employee issues. Also store is grossly overpriced. Basically survives off of ebt cards. I’ll give the company a couple more years before they sell out to wal mart.
Ups and downs
Associate (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILNovember 19, 2018
Very fast paced environment, wages capped at $11 for part-time and hard to become full-time, people are great but the job itself is demanding and can take a toll on you after awhile. Raises are every 1040 hours until capped out. 401k benefits are nice, $2 extra per hour on sundays is also nice. A lot of different departments to move to if desired, wouldn't personally suggest to make a life-long career out of any position there but that's just me. High turnover rate as well which can be hard on those who stay long-term.
Pros
sunday pay, 401k benefits, great people
Cons
capped wages, high turnover, demanding job
A wonderful market chain
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 8, 2018
Schnucks markets is in excellent grocery store chain operating within the Midwest region of the United States. They offer a lot of benefits, flexible scheduling, many different departments to work for, and easy advancements into corporate. As the Deli clerk, a typical day consisted of taking customer's orders, and carrying out those orders while maintaining Department of cleanliness. As well as a stocking Department shelves and making product for displays. General coworker atmosphere is amazing. It's like one big family. The hardest part of the position was the taking apart, servicing, and cleaning Deli equipment. Those enjoyable part of the position was seen coworkers working together as a team to get through the day and shut down the department, Like a well oiled machine.
Fast pace environment but fun
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Affton, MOSeptember 19, 2018
I have very few things to say. it was GREAT working there and was a union job just did not pay for extra training you were allowed to take. Had to do the meat and cheese slicing as normal but was required to learn to cook the hot-case items due to placement with new folks that i was expected to run a shift with and train and without a night time manager for the deli specifically. i also had learned how to operate the trash compacter and how to fill out special order forms. the trash compactor was extra but never Had to use the knowledge however i did not get any additional pay for learning the cooks position and had several shifts were that was my job of the day. The job was fun though and we had great customers just didn't pay enough for what we were expected to do by anyone's standards. my supervisor was not happy with what they were allowed to give for pay even cause those slicers are dangerous if mishandled and no first-aid responder trained folks outside of management in other departments seemed a little unsafe for me personally.
Pros
paycheck weekly and nice coworkers
Cons
low available pay and little benefits til after your first year
Not enough money
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IANovember 5, 2018
I like working there, most of my coworkers are nice. There are some that are inappropriate or unprofessional and management looks the other way. The pay is a joke. I know it's just a grocery store, but the amount of work, skills, and knowledge that is required for working there is worth so much more than $8.50/hr. Breaks are so short and being on your feet for hours at a time then only getting a 15 minute break isn't enough. Work days are very rigid and demanding.
Pros
Nice people, friendly customers, weekly pay
Cons
Not enough money, Schedules are issued 2 days before the new schedule starts, not enough advance notice to schedule appointments or make plans, not enough pay, breaks are too short
Great people, poor management
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 30, 2018
Schnucks has great people store level, most problems stem from management due to incompetence. Poor use of resources, time and quality of work environment.

Being short staffed is common, being underpaid is common, and being undervalued is common. Less reward for working hard.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Poor management, poor benefits
need to get rid of management and start over
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 14, 2018
the company is ok. the management is terrible. they sit in their office all day long coming up with new policies every day which add more to our daily duties and increase workload and stress. they need to spend a day working in a pharmacy first before they keep adding all these new things on and see how it is. all they care about is numbers. they don't pay their techs enough, so everyone is quitting to go work for walgreens where they make five more dollars an hour, making the short staffing really stressful for the pharmacist.
Pros
the weekend hours aren't terrible and there's no overnight shifts, the managers will text you back if you have a question
Cons
bad management, lots of drama between management, lots of "extra" bs, pay for technicians
Nice company to work for.
Student Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 2, 2018
Schnuck's was a good company to work for. They appear to care deeply about their customers and their workers. The union offers great benefits for anyone working as a regular worker, not a management or pharmacist-type employee.
Shuffling management, presumptious, poor communication
Receiver/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Rockford, IL 61112July 31, 2018
Most enjoyable part - interacting with vendors.
Hardest part - understaffed
What I learned - DSD Accounting, warehouse operations.
Workplace culture - Depressed, opinionated, and insidious.
Management - Judgemental, inept.

I have never worked for a place where each and every employee had such negative views of management. The workers had been driven to the point of outrageous negativity.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
pay/management
great people
Floor Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOOctober 2, 2018
great place it was a awesome learning experience and good chance for career development and the people there are super friendly and always willing to help you out.
Pros
great group of people to work with
Cons
not much help from management i always ran out of materials
Great Managers
Bakery Clerk/Cake Decorator and Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILMarch 20, 2018
Schnuck's was extremely stressful for me at first, but once I got in the groove of things, things fell into place. My first couple months were spent proving myself to management, I felt pretty replaceable even tho I was giving them my all. But I don't really blame them, I feel like they go through a lot of people. Soon after, they saw my hard work and began rewarding me with more hours and raises and it really motivated me. They spoke of promoting me, but there were no management positions opening up at the time and I was not looking to relocate. Decided that it was time for me to move on, but I do really appreciate the training and kindness I have received from management.
Pros
Paid lunches, flexible hours
Cons
Heavy lifting, slow to promote
Poor Workplace with Poor Management
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILMay 18, 2018
Management at this establishment is very inadequate. There is almost never enough workers on the job to complete all the necessary tasks that certain jobs require. Therefore, one person is usually tasked with a mountain of work, and not everything gets done. Schnucks Dekalb store 749 is also an "at will" corporation, which makes job security not very stable. Additionally, the pay is fair, so you most likely won't be shorted on a check, however, by the pay only being $8.45/hr to start, it isn't enough to sustain the cost of living for Dekalb.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks
Cons
Little to no overtime, job based on at will basis, little to no equipment provided for meat department positions (i.e water proof boots, goggles)
A very good team to work with
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 14, 2018
there are alot of people working here who have been with the company 10 or more years,if you stick around and work hard it is relatively easy to make a career out of it
Pros
Great team, good pay
Cons
Vacation time could be better
Relaxed high volume grocery store
Cashier (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOJuly 26, 2018
Very casuel place to work , jeans and t-shirts, fast paced , management was very open to request for days worked. Was union with good benefits and insurances.
Pros
Unioñ
Cons
Raises were based on hours worked
Very poor place to work for
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MODecember 21, 2018
The most horrible company you could ever work for. I would never in my life refer anyone to work nor shop there. I gave a man to much money an the man brought it back the next day..i got fired. Really!!! Cause the man was embarrassed and calling corporate i got let go. Mind blowing. I still connot comprehend. I knew it was going to be a problem with thry took over my former shop n save in shrewsbury missouri in stl.
Pros
A check each week
Cons
Everything they are horrible..do not care about their employees what so ever.
Nice Coworkers but terrible management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbia, ILAugust 16, 2018
Worked at my store for 2 years. One of which I was the overnight baker. My store had gone though at least 3 bakers that year, so I asked if I could switch departments. I was only a part time worker even though they gave me 34-36 hours a week and I had asked for full time. I was underpaid and not offered the same pay my manager had offered others for doing my job in the past, despite being told I was a wonderful and reliable worker. The bakery managers frequently called in sick or came in hours late without notice and I was expected to make up for it. My coworkers that weren't managers, however, were some of the nicest people I've met. I made a lot of friends there but all in all it was an awful job and I am glad to be done with that place.
Pros
nice coworkers, small discount
Cons
bad management, stressful, lack of communication, low pay
fine and fast
Cheese Specialist/Deli Manager (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 10, 2018
* busy start to finish
* management and boars head training
* moderate
* dramatic and fast paced
* the repetitive work
* the good product and decent discounts
Pros
great benefits
Cons
repetitive work
Fun place to work
Checker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOJuly 1, 2018
Its a productive and sometimes fun place to work. The staff at my store are very helpful and hardworking people who are good at their jobs. It gets stressful sometines with certain customers like any other retail job and it makes the rest of the work day tiring but overall its a great first job or another place to go after your last job
Pros
Union, paid breaks, worker discounts.
Cons
Short breaks, pay raises after 500 hours because of Union