Scholastic Employee Reviews

Great workplace
DIGITAL MARKETING AND ADVERTISING MANAGER (Current Employee) –  SoHo, NYSeptember 16, 2018
The company is family-oriented. Interesting people and amazing co-workers. Great workplace to gain knowledge and experience for the college grads who love reading
Just a Job not a career
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, ILSeptember 15, 2018
It's an awkward culture to work in. Very clicky the co-workers. A few of the managers are under qualified. They say they have a dress code here. Many of the workers dress like they are working out in the yard versus in a professional environment. We need a training department here. The managers are spread so thin with their time. They do the training of new hire employees. HR is under employed with only 2 people in the department. If one HR employee takes a day off or is out sick, the other can not handle the work load by themselves.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Most managers are under qualified
Literacy for young children
President (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 13, 2018
Our Mission was to create fun and interesting book fair events at schools so the students would be motivated in reading.
We were able to select hundreds of new books every season from all over the world from most international/domestic publishers. Bringing quality selection was the key to our success where over 94% of the schools chose to have Scholastic Book Fairs!
Pretty good place to work
Logistics (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2018
Every aspect of this company is great. The only issue is that they don't pay as well as other places. They have great benefits and that can make up for it. A lot of people will work here for the benefits while their spouse is the bread winner. Most people here are great to work with too
Pros
Great benefits, good work/life balance, great location, free books and movie screenings
Cons
low salaries
Scholastic is a supportive company that shows respect to teachers.
Reading Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Scholastic as a reading consultant because I felt respected and trusted. Once the division of the company was sold to another publisher the entire culture of the job changed. We were no longer respected and treated as if we were not an important part of the organization.

Scholastic gave me the tools to expand outside my comfort zone with travel, presentations, communications with various levels execs, teachers, administrators and students. Learned how to be flexible and Scholastic offered me the opportunity to network and expand my working relationships and opportunities.
great place to work
Branch Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 3, 2018
Great Place to work if you want to have a 40hr week and time with the family. If you want to relocate the possibilities are endless for advancement if you are will and eager
Consultant
National consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2018
I worked with Scholastic as a consultant and a presenter. It was a marvelous opportunity. My supervisor, Kathy Walsh, was fabulous. It was a wonderful job and a great company to work with for the period of time I was there.
Pros
Travel and Advancement
It was a good work place.
Operations (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 30, 2018
A typical day would be just to clock in and get started, which that was not bad. I learned how to make boxes and package boxes and use certain machines. The hardest part of the job was working on the machines. The most enjoyable was my coworkers.
Pros
Vending machines to get stuff to eat and drink free bottles of water
Cons
Short breaks and had to buy lunch.
Not enough money
Packaging (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 26, 2018
I really enjoy working here.. but only for the people in my deptartment. Started out as seasonal, then applied full time. They post new jobs within the building each week for everyone to apply if they want. I think we are underpaid for the amount of work we do though. Only get raises once a year unless you get hired for a higher paying job. Benefits are pretty decent and discount to the book store which is pretty great.
Pros
Fun and caring people. Discounts to books and supplies.
Cons
Underpaid. Hot, no AC unless you're in the office.
Scholastic has good benefits and lots of paid time off for regular empmyees.
Order Clerk 1 (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 25, 2018
Scholastic would be more ideal for College kids. The pay is not competitive. I enjoyed getting paid for lots of Holidays. Management not so nice. Health insurance was pricey.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Low pay, bad management
Great Company a bit scattered
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2018
Was laid off by the company due to poor division management. However my time there was a great learning experience! I had amazing co workers and loved the fast paced nature of the company
A productive growing company
Fork lift operator (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 21, 2018
This is a company that has been around for fifty years and has helped millions of children and adults world wide learn how to read. They are a company that is growing and changing with the times and the increase of technology. Most of the production jobs are labor intensive and are rather fast paced requiring extreme accuracy. As a company it is community oriented providing non paid and paid volunteer opportunities to its employees to help out in the community. They also show their appreciation of their employees multiple times a year by providing catered meals, free new books, and gifts to all their employees.
Pros
good pay, benefits, and employee appreciation
Unrealized potential across the board
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2018
I understand that companies need to change direction as times change. Too often decisions are made based on a gut feeling, not the data. When analytics, marketing, creative, merchandising, and other depts tell you their data and testing says go left and you go right, then the problem lies with senior management. Senior management, in general, not all, lacks basic management skills, especially when it comes to team building and mentorship. Teams are not collaborative. Company experience and history not valued. Toxic people allowed to stay way too long. Low-level staff and interns put in management positions too early, lacking proper skills to manage large projects, implementing arbitrary procedures creating productivity bottlenecks.
Pros
free books
Cons
too many
Works for me...
Forklift Operator/Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSAugust 20, 2018
The job is easy, the pace is reasonable, the people are great, the pay is ok, the hours of part-time work available are ok except for the 3+ month layoff with no date certain to return. Good job if you don't want a full time job and can afford being off 3 months while school is out.
Pros
Managers and co-workers
Cons
Shift starts in afternoon...summer layoff
book fair cashier
Cashier - Seasonal Book sales (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 19, 2018
Do cash and credit transactions for book fairs at elementary schools. Students were very interesting group. Parents at the open house night were concerned about the purchases of their child. Usually found if the 5th or 6th grader had a sibling, they would buy a preschool or 1st grade book for them. This is a very good fund raiser for the elementary schools.
Pros
mileage is paid
Cons
not steady work
I enjoy working at Scholastic
Inside Administrative Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTAugust 16, 2018
Management Team is very approachable and they will bend backwards to work with you when needed. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people, they are like family.

The hardest part of the job is the multi tasking, quick work pace required to meeting deadlines throughout the day. Overall, I am happy there.
Pros
Flexibilty
Many projects to work on
Editor, Coach Magazine (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2018
A typical day at work was working with my stable of writers and editors throughout the country. We had content to fill for different channels from print to web.
Review
System Maintenance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 7, 2018
Salary can be good if you’re an external hire. I was offered a promotion and turned it down because I had an opportunity elsewhere and they offered much lower than they offer external hires. It was an HR policy where they couldn’t offer too much of a pay increase from one promotion.
Fun workplace
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, NYAugust 3, 2018
Working at scholastic was fast paced at times depending on how much would come into the warehouse.But it was never a stressful environment to work in.Great bosses to work with only reason I left was for a full time job.
Bad management
Order clerk (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 2, 2018
Management plays favorites causing stress around the warehouse. Very high turnover hard to advance in management don't like you your done. It's extremely hot not enough heat breaks.
Pros
Free lunch and great company workers
Cons
Not enough heat breaks bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scholastic. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

83%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss