Scholastic
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Scholastic Employee Reviews

United States870 reviews
The work atmosphere is good. The pay structure could be reviewed to align with the cost of living. More training from the company should be provided for new hire one’s.
Pros
Great health benefits ... can purchase books half off
Cons
Pay structure can use an upgrade.
Scholastic Book Fairs was a great place to work. I found my coworkers friendly and helpful. I would have loved to have stayed there longer. I will admit that the work was hard and the hours long but they give you a sense of family and belonging. The customers were always glad to see you. It was a fun job that kept me motivated.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Hard work
The work was not too hard. Upon multiple inquires with shift managers, supervisors, plant managers, and human resources, they had failed to solve a persistant issue i had continued to voice my concern about.
Cons: Lots of nepotism, boring work, not diverse at all, too many of whatever the equivalent of Disney adults are (the type of people who put their Harry Potter house on their resume), inappropriate co-workers.

Pros: A nice balcony area.
It’s an okay place to work if you’re looking for a decent paycheck, but it isn’t what I thought it would be. It has a very big turn over rate which isn’t ever good for a major company like this one.
Pros
Decent pay & good benefits
Cons
Short breaks, rude management, no air conditioning
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
N/A. I will not review at this time. Too long ago and too many things have changed in my life since then. I did really enjoy setting up different school accounts for different kinds of schools.
I loved the book fairs from school as a kid so I was curious to check it out and see what all is done. I loved learning to do different stuff around the warehouse because u can see everything and know where ur favoritestuff is. It was really hard not reading the books while working but u can on break.
Pros
Make money
Cons
Uh dirt
Scholastics is a poor place to be. They have no hiring standards for employees, they will hire anyone even if they have been fired several times from there. You will work in a non air condition warehouse so its extremely hot in the summer. Mandatory overtime during the busy season. If you want to work with folks who are some of the worse people in society then this is the place for you.
Pros
help kids read and teachers
Cons
poor working environment, terrible co workers, poor management
I really like what I do. My issue is that pay is not enough for the time and effort put out. Warehouse management is negative and doesn’t take responsibility for issues. Your commission is based on a team of two approach so if someone drops the ball, it affects your paycheck. There is very little positive feedback from anyone above. Tasks and focus are often changing. Very little to no room for

advancement.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low salaries, warehouse management, no advancement opportunities
Good place to work if you like part time work. You are laid off 11 weeks the summer. You don’t work over Xmas / New Years week., There are many weeks you don’t get 40 hours and there are some weeks you work 55 plus hours.
Pros
Great people, great employee discounts, good benefits.
Cons
Too may lay off weeks. Too many non paid days off.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Scholastic?
absolutely a great place to work. Supervisors are nice and respectful also willing to help you with anything and everything. I worked there for a little bit over 4 years
This is a company that you can be proud to work for, with an outstanding mission to help students succeed in the area of literacy. Scholastic hires people who are passionate about children's literacy.
I only worked there for a very short period of time. The training was so confusing, so when we actually got on the floor I retained zero info from training. It’s all on a very complicated system. I don’t think they care much about training since theres always managers walking around coming to you when you need help, but the customer’s experience a longer wait time because it takes awhile for a manager to get to you, since everyones confused all the time.
Your work is base on favoritism and friendship instead of job performance but overall the company itself is wonderful it's the management that need help
This company does not value it’s employees. Training is too little, too late yet compensation is based on meeting sales goals. My territory was cut in size every year, yet my goals were increased. To add insult, when I applied for an internal position to advance, I was told that I would not be respected because I had worked in inside sales.
Great working environment. The facility was clean, the pay was great, when u needed help there was always somebody there. The work was easy and interesting.
I loved working for the night shift, I think the wearhouse is where I belong. The manger and supervisor made me feel needed and appreciated at what I did. They were very understanding and worked with me in my time of struggle.
Although insurance and 401k benefits are good and pay is competitive .. family friendly they are not!
And if you are expecting to advance here y

Out should really know the right people or it will never happen!
I didn't have a good time here. Hours were not well defined. manager calling and all hours. could be way more organized. I would avoid this place. at all cost
I worked there from 2014 to 2017 I left for another job and returned in 2020 worked for a week and was laid off due to the COVID-19 virus all the schools in the United States are closed so no one is ordering books from scholastic
Scholastic is a very productive place where typical days would turn into extremely productive days at any given hour. The team is energetic and fun to work with.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scholastic. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

83%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.