Scholastic Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 6, 2018
Cut thought, numbers driven company. I would strongly recommend not working for Scholastic - children's books seems noble, leadership is horrible. Have a mission statement on the wall but does not apply internally. Dollars are the only metric that matters, nothing else.
Exhaustion
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOOctober 23, 2018
Job is very exhausting, over tiring, and severely cut throat. Point system is severely flaws and not completely thought though. No way to make advancement
Everyone is stressed that works here
Sales Consultant/Event Planner (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXOctober 23, 2018
You are expected to control so much with your territory that you are given and the bottom line is schools don't want to run these fairs because the books are over priced and the setup is not very good quality. Management at this location sleeps with employees and they play games with policies to get what they want. DON'T WORK THERE.
Productive Stimulating Workplace
Application Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2018
Great place to work. Allowed me to wear multiple hats on the job.
Lots of exposure to new technologies and lots of challenges which gave me plenty of experience.
Tedious, stressful, consistently negative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Neosho, MOOctober 14, 2018
In a typical work day, a Customer Service Rep through Book Club will take anywhere from 40-60 inbound phone calls. Of those calls, 98% of them are negative. They are negative due to a large factor of reasons
Overall, management needs an overhaul. Put them on the phones. Let them hear what others are having to endure. Switch people out on the workload. Make them feel important.
Pros
Summer layoff, extensive time off at Thanksgiving and Christmas
Cons
Wrong people in wrong positions, those who can make changes don't care to make them
Awful
Customer Service Phone Representative (Former Employee) –  Neosho, MOOctober 2, 2018
It's a call center. I took calls from almost always angry customers, and there was little to no recognition or reward for any of it. I'm glad it was a temporary position that I held, because there is no way I would willingly work at another call center, especially Scholastics. Management wasn't bad but in training you are told to just give the customer whatever they want, even if it goes against policy or its a ridiculous request. I just couldn't get behind that kind of policy.
very productive
order clerk (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOOctober 2, 2018
would get to my work area clean it up and start working quickly what i learned was how to read codes and were things were and how to locate them.the management was ok but some of them i felt pick on certain ones the hardest part about this job was standing and dealing with people who didn't want to do there job the best part of the job was the check after your 2 weeks
Pros
discount at store
Cons
short breaks
A company that has alot of temporary workers with alot of turnover.
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Roselle, IL 60172September 30, 2018
2nd shift supervisor ran operations with 1 lead and myself for returns and inventory functions. I learned the WMS system for inventory and picking. It was a fast pace environment to get things in place for the morning to build fairs for schools during the week. The hardest part of the job was having enough people to do the job each night. the favorite part of the job was the everyday challenge of completing all the task each day.
Pros
people, management, and company sponsered activities.
Cons
seasonal help, late arriving trucks with returns, and parking area
its ok. the good thing you get the summers off
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Robbinsville, NJSeptember 18, 2018
It is ok to work there. There is some days its very busy and not enough people to finish the job. The only good things is u get the summers off if you want to.
Pros
summers off
Cons
to much work not enough people
Great workplace
DIGITAL MARKETING AND ADVERTISING MANAGER (Current Employee) –  SoHo, NYSeptember 16, 2018
The company is family-oriented. Interesting people and amazing co-workers. Great workplace to gain knowledge and experience for the college grads who love reading
Just a Job not a career
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, ILSeptember 15, 2018
It's an awkward culture to work in. Very clicky the co-workers. A few of the managers are under qualified. They say they have a dress code here. Many of the workers dress like they are working out in the yard versus in a professional environment. We need a training department here. The managers are spread so thin with their time. They do the training of new hire employees. HR is under employed with only 2 people in the department. If one HR employee takes a day off or is out sick, the other can not handle the work load by themselves.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Most managers are under qualified
Their was no advancement opportunities.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Answering phone, working in warehouse when needed. Helping with book sales. I learned many different aspects of the business. I was placed in different positions during the week. The hardest part of the job was doing inventory, it was very time consuming. The most enjoyable was building the displays for the books.
Pros
Very upbeat environment, always busy.
Cons
Not being paid a fair salary.
Literacy for young children
President (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 13, 2018
Our Mission was to create fun and interesting book fair events at schools so the students would be motivated in reading.
We were able to select hundreds of new books every season from all over the world from most international/domestic publishers. Bringing quality selection was the key to our success where over 94% of the schools chose to have Scholastic Book Fairs!
Pretty good place to work
Logistics (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2018
Every aspect of this company is great. The only issue is that they don't pay as well as other places. They have great benefits and that can make up for it. A lot of people will work here for the benefits while their spouse is the bread winner. Most people here are great to work with too
Pros
Great benefits, good work/life balance, great location, free books and movie screenings
Cons
low salaries
It's okay but...
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Maryville, TNSeptember 10, 2018
If you are energized by books, it's a great place to work. Like any job, it has pitfalls. It's a warehouse so we sweat constantly, walk on concrete, joint and muscle pain are constant, and if they don't need you that week, you don't work. At all. My typical schedule on night shift is "Hope I get to work the full 5.5 hours this week!" because when you finish the returns, you go home. Even if you're only scheduled for one day and you've been there two hours.
Pros
books
Cons
Pain. Lots of pain.
Scholastic is a supportive company that shows respect to teachers.
Reading Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Scholastic as a reading consultant because I felt respected and trusted. Once the division of the company was sold to another publisher the entire culture of the job changed. We were no longer respected and treated as if we were not an important part of the organization.

Scholastic gave me the tools to expand outside my comfort zone with travel, presentations, communications with various levels execs, teachers, administrators and students. Learned how to be flexible and Scholastic offered me the opportunity to network and expand my working relationships and opportunities.
i like working there i like the people
Power Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WASeptember 6, 2018
day starts with a meeting for the days production, and then packing books for fairs that go out for the elementary and middle schools and finish with replenishing product using RF scanners. Overall a good company to work for.
great place to work
Branch Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 3, 2018
Great Place to work if you want to have a 40hr week and time with the family. If you want to relocate the possibilities are endless for advancement if you are will and eager
Consultant
National consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2018
I worked with Scholastic as a consultant and a presenter. It was a marvelous opportunity. My supervisor, Kathy Walsh, was fabulous. It was a wonderful job and a great company to work with for the period of time I was there.
Pros
Travel and Advancement
It was a good work place.
Operations (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOAugust 30, 2018
A typical day would be just to clock in and get started, which that was not bad. I learned how to make boxes and package boxes and use certain machines. The hardest part of the job was working on the machines. The most enjoyable was my coworkers.
Pros
Vending machines to get stuff to eat and drink free bottles of water
Cons
Short breaks and had to buy lunch.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scholastic. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

83%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss