School District of Manatee County Employee Reviews

Custodial department is good ol' dumb boys club!
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  ElementaryApril 25, 2018
The salary is $10.23. Not enough to be submissive to idiots! Seriously some of the dumbest, least effective workers I have ever seen. If you have a brain, if you expect to be treated better than an illegal alien don't join custodial staff. I can't speak to any other department of the school board but this one needs an overhaul from top down!
Pros
Sick days paid
Cons
Lazy, ineffective managers, poverty pay
Corrupt on every level
ESE Admin Assistant/Para (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLApril 10, 2018
Corrupt on every level. Harassment, racism, favoritism, unethical behavior on every level and not a thing you can do about it. Remove your children from this district and yourself.
Pros
summers off
Cons
see above
Very stressful with a lot of paperwork
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMarch 21, 2018
The paperwork and legal side of the job overtook what you were actually there to do which was to see kids. It always felt like there was not enough help for what was required to do.
Stress filled days. Expect to do 2 or 3 peoples work per day.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJanuary 12, 2018
Don't waste your time working for the School District of Manatee County. The longer you work for them the more they take advantage of you. The most oppressive atmosphere I have ever worked at. The only thing i got for my many years of hard work and dedication was post traumatic stress disorder.
Pros
Coworkers are hard working and team players
Cons
Pay is too low, raises are rare and when given they are pathetic.
Great students! variety of teaching resources
Educator (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLNovember 27, 2017
-hard working, dedicated teaching and administrative personnel
-celebrate student successes
-teachers get non-student contact time to complete report cards...awesome
-need more onsite social services (dental, medical, and mental health) for students and their family
Hard to put into words
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLNovember 21, 2017
Bittersweet. I love my job and the area. I am relocating back to my home state of Indiana to be near family. I have lived in Florida for over 40 years and worked for the State of Florida for 26 years. I leave with very very fond memories and look forward to making new memories in Indiana.
Great school with caring staff
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLSeptember 29, 2017
I loved my job in Manatee School District. A great principal with great colleagues. Students were wonderful too. Pay could have been better, but benefits were pretty good.
Pros
kind and caring teachers and staff
Cons
pay scale
Busy job/UNrealistically poor pay
I.T. Lab Manager (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FL 34206August 27, 2017
Three years of hard work, and last year I received a .33/hour increase. This was mandated by the new Teacher's Union contract. I have not received a raise in three years, however the scope and demands of my job have tripled, at the very least.

The compensation of SDMC employees is determined and set by the votes of the School Board. Obviously they are living in the land of make-believe; like most people employed in education.
Pros
Many holidays.
Cons
Low pay, Very poor communication, Poor Planning, Poor Management, Low Morale in General
Opportunities to work with a wide variety of individuals
Educational Interpreter - Sign Language (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLAugust 4, 2017
On a typical day in my current position, I spend the majority of my time in the classroom setting. I have witnessed a variety of teaching styles, different tactics for classroom and behavior management.
Pros
Seeing the Deaf/HH student succeed
Cons
Deaf student is the only Deaf person on campus, they are somewhat isolated, The interpreter is often the only one with whom the Deaf student communicates
very stressful
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLAugust 1, 2017
A lot of school with lack of teachers.
Communication is not good .
No respect for new teachers.
The system based on a computer program to call sub teachers is pretty efficient.
Pros
compensation
Cons
work culture

Want to know more about School District of Manatee County?

Ask a question
Good entry-level job with the school system. Administration is supportive.
Guidance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 3, 2017
Good entry-level job with the school system.Administration is fair, appreciative and supportive. Work is all clerical/secretarial. This position answers to a lot of people. Good position to get your foot in the door if interested in continued support staff role in the school system.
Good Place To Work
equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMay 30, 2017
Taking care of all schools as needed for the day.I learned that there are may things that needs to be dine by the grounds department in all aspect of work.
World wide problems within district
Custodian/ Lawn maintance (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMay 8, 2017
As an entry level employee the current pay rate is manageable. however, for those who has successfully stayed employed for several years or decades the current pay out is not enough. Great benefits if you need them, but can be done without if a sizable paycheck is desired. Advancement is available, but very popular and usually within the company.
Pros
Associates and experiences
Cons
pay rate and advancement oppurtunities
Productive and Rewarding Work Place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMarch 24, 2017
Productive, challenging, and rewarding work experience.
Provides for growth and development,
Good benefits with a full-time employment,
supportive collegues
Safety
Teacher (Former Employee) –  NertitiAugust 13, 2016
I worked from 8Am to 3 PM 8 hours every day

I learned school management & teaching student

School management

Teacher for all classroom

i enjoyable in my work very much
Pros
School management
Cons
student speak hash
Needs better leadership and organization
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMay 19, 2016
We feed over 1,000 students per day. Oversee 7 employees with food production, service, training, and HACCP.

Place food orders weekly, conduct monthly food inventory, process payroll, and yearly reviews.

Great work schedule Monday-Friday. Pay and advancement lacking.
No room to grow. Pay is very low. Equipment is not in good working order
Pest control inspector (Former Employee) –  Bradington FloridaFebruary 24, 2015
I went to work in the pest control department. I was told I was doing a great job several times. At the time we only had two employees we hired a 3rd employee. I never miss a day that was not earned. Out of the blue I was told I had a choice to be fired or I could resigned on my on I was forced into this decision the county never gave me a reason why I was no longer going to be employed there Except for that they did not thank I was a goold fit. I have over 15 years of experience in the industry and the 3rd person they hired did not have but 3 years. However I lost my job. I did like working for the county when I first started however I found that the only benefits were days off and good insurance after a while I just felt like a number like any other place they don't seem to care about experience knowledge or anything else there you'll be just a number just like I was. Do not apply for any job at the county if you thank that you're going to have job security because you they get rid of people for absolutely no reason and keep people there that are missed Fitts that have absolutely no training The hiring managers there have no clue who the good workers are and who the misfits they just get rid of people on the fly. I've done this company a great job. For this company and was told several times how well I was doing no warnings were given it any time to me that I was not doing my job however they forced me to resign do not go to work at this place you'll be in the same boat that I was
Pros
Days off and insurance
Cons
Salary, you will be just a number no salary increases no promotions
An opportunity to learn a great deal.
Educator (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLMay 14, 2014
I learned to be flexible and work tirelessly to accomplish multiple tasks in a demanding field to meet specific deadlines and complete specific tasks in order to meet a diverse population's needs.
The Opportunity to Make a Difference
Horizons Academy - Reading Coach (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FlMarch 9, 2014
In a typical day at my current job, I deal with many different issues that my students have. From learning disabilities, to behavior problems, gang activity, and mental illness. There are often times that teaching has to be placed on the back burner in order to handle behaviors that are going on within the classroom. I have gained a lot of experience in writing individual education plans, as well as working with Functional Behavior Assessments. I have used various reading programs to assist me in determing the reading levels of my students. This allows me to work within small groups to teach what each student needs. The hardest part of my job is the fact that I have little resources to support the needs of my students and their varying needs. These students are in an alternative setting and, again, behaviors often prevail and teaching suffers. What is most enjoyable about my position is that I do have a very strong relationship with my students. They trust me, and will work with me to increase their reading. They let their embarrassment go and really try to learn.
Pros
good benefits; small working environment
Cons
limited resources; not enough time to teach
Medicore Experience
Wellness Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJanuary 8, 2014
There was more work expected of you that was in your job description and no opportunities for advancement. The Benefits were good, but compensation was below standards.
Pros
Some flexibility
Cons
compensation, workload