School District of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

Do Not Recommend
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 16, 2019
I would not recommend working at the School District. The school system is grossly underfunded. Parents tend to provide very little support. Take karate lessons.
productive and rewarding experience
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 4, 2019
Teaching and working for the School District of Philadelphia is a challenging but rewarding experience and place to work for. I would recommend working here to all new and perspective educators.
Pay rate is ridiculous
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 3, 2019
The pay paraprofessionals $11.90 per hour and most of us have degrees. I was under the impression that my pay rate would reflect my degree because thet really stressed me having a degree. I have a bachelors and I won't be working for pennies for long. I love my job and it's close to home but the pay has to go
Pros
Near home
Cons
Pay rate
School building
WorkReady - Teacher's Aid (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 29, 2019
My responsibilities were to assist the classroom teacher with activities for the summer bridge program. Students from the school district of philadelphia were eligible for this program.
Large district
Math teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 29, 2019
Your experience is dependent on the school. There is not one uniform culture in this school district. It is therefore quite difficult to fairly rate the district as a whole.
Great school!
Teacher/Science Prep Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 25, 2019
The school that I worked at was a small school. The staff and students were great! The paper work can be demanding, otherwise it was a very enjoyable job as far as being a teacher there.
Busy work place and working with children
Student Climate Staff (Current Employee) –  Willard Elementary schoolJune 25, 2019
I've learned a lot from working inside of a school and working with children. It was though at first but once i learned how to navigate and had help from well experienced workers it became a job that i enjoy doing. My favorite pat of my job is working with the children.
Challenging and rewarding
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 24, 2019
Working with children is challenging and yet so rewarding. Teaching requires dedication and the ability to reach kids on their emotional and academic level. You must be flexible and understanding.
The school district
BUS CHAUFFER (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 24, 2019
The school district is an easy place to work. Off holidays, weekends, & snow days. Benefits after your probation. Paid time off. It’s a piece of cake.
The school district is a wonderful place to work. Teaching the students is hard work but very rewarding.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 21, 2019
Teaching the students in the urban district is very fulfilling. The students are appreciative and will be engaged once you grab their attention. Consequently, once you earn their respect, you are respected by them the entire year.
Enjoyable work day creating and managing programs
Program Director/Manager of University Relations (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 21, 2019
It was a pleasure to create partnerships with industry partners to provide internships and jobs to students while increasing the graduation rate of students.

The CTE staff were awesome to collaborative partners that obtained history in establishing statewide standards.

The most difficult part of the job: convincing upper management adequate funding was required to promote and sustain programs for students.
Pros
Intelligent and innovative staff
Cons
Each year obtaining sufficient program funding
Poor, Overwhelmed Administration
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 21, 2019
Admin with not enough experience and not enough support/resources for teaching staff. Most of teaching staff were very kind and supportive of each other, a few curmudgeons but that is to be expected.
English and Biology Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 17, 2019
Being a teacher is hard work and teaching two contrasting contents is even harder. I have a 3 hour round trip commute so it was more draining than the average experience.
N/a
SPECIAL ED TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 11, 2019
It’s good to work here if you have school age kids so you can have the same schedule as them. Staff is pretty friendly and it’s definitely a job security but the pay is not that good for today living expenses
School District Of Philadelphia
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 10, 2019
Its really not my place to judge what is appropriate for others. I feel that the School District of Philadelphia gave me great opportunities to continue working with students and others in educating children. It is very rewarding when you see that the students you work with does well and successful in their progress. For me I am ready to move on do to pay. I have been stationed at what I make for too long, knowing I have the talent and ability to get more and another company who would appreciate my talents and abilities a lot more. I am ready to move on!
anti-social students; no truth curriculum; no discipline or consequences
Guest Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 10, 2019
Working in the Philadelphia school system was like walking into a nightmare. The "good" schools were too sensitive to teach the truth to and the "bad" schools were apathetic to the truth. The truth meaning where your hamburger really comes from. Food keeps us alive, but not one sliver of truth, study, investigation, topic of discussion, book or mention of what really is going on with our treatment of that "food source", animals. It's kept hidden, just like our society does it; keeps it secret and far away so no one finds out the truth! And not just "food", but pharmaceuticals and experiments on animals, and the perpetuation of war and military experiments on land and sea animals. There is a holocust going on, right now, on animals; similar to what the Jewish people suffered in Germany.
My opinion is that most of what they are taught is useless to student needs. They need character building, etiquitte and conflict resolution practice. The curriculum still is mostly sexist, racist and speciesist. We substitute teachers did not get a raise for 5 years, so we could not keep up with rising prices and then, we were thrown out of the teachers union, which eliminated our pensions!
Pros
nice hours, pension when we were unionized, some potential for truth
Cons
anti-social students (disrespect): no room for truth; no consequences
Awesome Colleagues
Principal Kensington CAPA High School (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 4, 2019
The district is moving forward and making huge progress in children's lives. The focus is where it should be. Benefits are excellent and professional development is on-going.
Workday
Custodial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 24, 2019
Cleaned the perimeter around the outside of the School . Report to work station and walk the hallways to make sure they are clean. Check the Stairwells to make sure they are clean and no trash or spills are there. When lunch is over clean the lunchroom. When the Students are dismissed from School Clean the Classrooms and bathrooms
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Loud environment
Be a positive motivation
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Bethune Ele.May 22, 2019
To work for the district you have to have patients. I took this job a month before my daughters murder, and working with these students has been a blessing. And it gives me the opportunity to care about them and show them everyone in uniform is not bad, or against them.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 19, 2019
I enjoyed working for the school district but I am looking forward to a new work experience. I was a special education teacher and was the caseload manager to my students. I worked closely with related service providers.
Benefits
Cons
Parental Participation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at School District of Philadelphia. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

School District of Philadelphia Reviews by Location