School Specialty, Inc. Employee Reviews

Summer job
Customer Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIJune 3, 2018
Company is severely outdated in their ordering system. Company was coming from chapter 11 bankruptcy and restructuring but its hard to change that much. Only did order entry for the summer which isnt glamorous , but i could see how the company strugglles to update. A lot of the higher ups are set in their ways of doing things
Decent place
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  IAMay 29, 2018
It really depends on your manager and what department you work in. There is very little room to grow and direction. Most of the employees are unhappy, which is tough.
An okay place to start learning equipment
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHMay 27, 2018
Some of the people are rude and management won't do anything to stop it. None of the rules are enforced as they should be. Too many people think there are above the rules which are ridiculous honestly, I think that management needs training because they don't know how to talk to there employees with respect and professionalism.
Pros
Great to learn equipment
Cons
poor pay, poor healthcare, and poor teamwork
Requires many hours and own resources
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIApril 19, 2018
Although I enjoyed my position, the lack of training makes it a slow start unless you are willing to use your own resources and put in a lot of hours.

I had to create my own marketing materials/campaigns. There were so many products and product lines and compensation plan changed yearly ( after a full quarter of the new year had passed).

If you put in the time and effort, the money was very good. It is a end of year bonus, not commission though.

Company allowed an outside firm decide who was going to be part of reorganization. People who never made quota were allowed to stay, while many top performers were let go.

New CEO appears to be doing a much better job!
Pros
Remote, Make own schedule
Cons
Healthcare was terriible, long hours
fast paced
Packer/Picker (Former Employee) –  Mount Joy, PAApril 16, 2018
We had a meeting before we started our shift. I picked and packed orders my shift, using a RF scanner to make sure I had the correct order items. I enjoyed my co-workers and managers.
Pros
fast paced
Entry level job
Fulfillment Center (Current Employee) –  Greenville, WIApril 13, 2018
Never know what time you will leave for the day. Schedule varies greatly. No room for advancement. Work isn’t overly difficult but very fast paced. Not much direction given. Lots of college students working there in the summer.
Pros
Sunday’s off.
Cons
Very fast pace. Low pay.
Mostly a summer job
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHApril 7, 2018
95% of the workforce are hired as temp workers for the summer.
Hiring continues as the orders pile up and people are laid off as the summer orders wane. a handful of people are kept until the next year.
Most of the work revolves around a large conveyor belt the winds around the warehouse. The boxes are sent around to various points on the line to be filled. operators will use a handheld PDA to track down and fill smaller orders. the drivers which are selected from the general workforce are responsible for bulk orders and receive a small pay increase. work until the work is done. Expect long hours at a fast pace especially in the late summer.
Transportation
Transportation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIMarch 14, 2018
The transportation department was a busy department with allot of requirements. Hard to keep seasonal employees during summer months for the busy season. The department was a very detailed department and there are a lot of roles and work to be provided per person.
I still recommend it
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIMarch 12, 2018
Great work environment, loved the people I worked with it fun even with the mandatory over time from March-November. It's not a high paying job but if you have kids the discounts on supplies alone make up the difference plus the benefits and the schedule. Even on overtime you can avoid working weekends!
Negative work environment
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Greenville, WiMarch 8, 2018
They want you to work and care like you are a Supervisor/Manager...but the pay is awful and you don't get raises.

It is a very negative place to work.
Pros
The people that work there are great!
Cons
Negative work environment
ping pong table in break erea
Supervisor, Operations (Former Employee) –  mansfied ohMarch 1, 2018
fill order hit lines per hour helpful friendly people they could improve on their break times make them a little longer 2 10 min and 30 lunch
instead of 20 and 10
Pros
school time
Cons
short breaks
Typical Call Center opportunities. Many chances to make a customer's day.
Key Accounts Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIFebruary 14, 2018
Managed 20 Customer Service Associates on the Key Accounts team. We dealt with the larger, more needy accounts. I further honed my skills at supporting my team and enabling high morale. The culture was stressful in that we dealt with customers who had issues frequently. That can be taxing on team morale. That was the most difficult part of the job. The most enjoyable was satisfying our internal and external customers by providing a truly exceptional service experience.
Pros
The Team. Made some life long friends in other departments as well.
Cons
Stressful during our busy season.
typical office enviornment
Customer Care Call Center (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIFebruary 13, 2018
My review of this company would not be accurate to the current leadership and environment as many changes have been made since the department I worked for (Customer Care) was closed, and moved to corporate location, Appelton, WI when I lost my job 7 years ago.
Lots of overtime opportunities, but that's not necessarily a good thing
Customer Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAFebruary 12, 2018
The work is complex and challenging at first, eventually becomes simple and monotonous but somehow enjoyable. The constant clash of customer desires vs. reality gets frustrating but is typical of every job.

During the fall and winter, the office is very laid back. Spring is about gearing up for summer. Summers are fast-paced and stressful, and everything seems to happen at once due to the nature of the business and poor planning on the part of the management teams.

The flow of business follows roughly the same pattern every year, and yet year after year nearly every department is understaffed. The sales team continuously balks at every reminder to do their job correctly. And, since their work is prioritized by corporate, the customer service, order entry, and the various product customization departments are overworked to make up for their inadequacies. Associates are required to work 50-60 hours May through July, and there is strong pressure (with incentives) to do even more than that.

Management also bows to every one of corporate's whims, often values the input of (brand new) associates based purely on job title rather than actual knowledge level and longevity with the company, and generally does not seem reliable when it comes to sticking up for the associates who work for them.

Corporate itself has historically barely tried to understand how this particular division of the company works, and has implemented several policies and changes that have damaged both morale and the actual efficiency and productivity of the company. Many long-time employees, rich in both
  more... work ethic and general competency, have left because of these decisions and the issues mentioned above.  less
Pros
Occasional free potlucks or snacks, free coffee, lets you decorate your desk area
Cons
Stress, long hours, low pay, poor management
Fast Paced
Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, OHFebruary 8, 2018
Fill, pack, and ship school supplies to schools around the world. Easy job to do. Management needs some work to be more efficient. Work here if you don't enjoy spending time with your family.
Fast paced work environment
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, OHFebruary 2, 2018
Fast paced work environment. Looking for people that pays attention to detail and has a sense of urgency. There are opportunities to work multiple jobs throughout each day. Jobs may require a lot of lifting and/or walking.
Pros
3weeks of vacation to for full-time associate at hiring.
Cons
Short breaks
Depends on department
Customer Care Advocate Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIJanuary 5, 2018
Individual results vary. Many differing processes, asking questions is frowned upon. Interaction process has minimal consistency can create a confusion
Pros
food truck service weekly in summer, free popcorn
Cons
individual results vary
Productive work place, employee friendly
Fullfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, OHJanuary 4, 2018
Working at school specialty, the environment was very friendly. The pace of work wasn’t too slow, wasn’t too fast. I didn’t have any trouble or any negatives comments about the job.
Cons
Short breaks
Generous pay and incentives
Strategic Programs Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIJanuary 2, 2018
Strategic Projects Team is well managed and productive. Lots of opportunities to expand skill set and help company achieve its' goals. Fun incentives that promote team building and keep things light.
Pros
Great team!
Cons
Poorly maintained facility, management quarrels.
Great place to work if you want to be kept very busy
Senior Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, WIDecember 21, 2017
Never a dull moment. Worked on pricing bids or contracts at a feverish pace.
Our manager was great, but others kept too much from the agents which caused a feeling of job insecurity.
Pros
Nice areas to socialize during breaks
Cons
Micro-managed quite a bit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at School Specialty, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.