School Specialty, Inc.

Mansfield, OH87 reviews

School Specialty, Inc. insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Training is long and you’re at a desk all day

Sitting in a cubicle all day. Boring redundant work but the management is nice and kind. However training was 2 weeks and the work environment is very bland and boring

Pros

Pay weekly

Cons

Boring, desk job

Your there all time, endless overtime. There is alot of nice looking young people.

If you do take a job there. Go for 3rd shift, rack driver. If your not afraid heights. I trained girls to run orderpicker, and turret truck. Lots of lifting

Pros

Its good place to meet, young wild people

Cons

Your there all the time. I told them they should build dorms.

Fun place to work extremely friendly co workers

If you need a job that gives you opportunity for growth then this is the company to work for I loved working here so much it was an amazing opportunity

Pros

Good wage / hours

Cons

Never know when your getting off

Poor Management

Management isn’t interested in helping you or hearing what you have to say. I was lied to multiple times and when I questioned it, I was just told, repeatedly, you “this is how things go” and there was no, “I’m sorry you were given misinformation….well look into this”

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Everything else

Very productive place to work

It’s hard work but if you’re a hard worker and determined you’ll love it! The staff is determined to get the work done but also very respectful and approachable.

Pros

30 min breaks

Cons

Hot environment

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Management and moral very negative!

The present management team will not listen to any ideas unless it's their own. Only has negative things to say about the employees which in turn makes everyone miserable. Takes people out of their positions that they've had for years And puts them in positions that they 1st started with so in turn they are right back where they started. And let's not forget the fact that it is always a work till it's done deal! So You never know what time your going to get home! So much for a family life or social life. And management has their favourites or their clicks.

Pros

Lots of great people work here although I don't know why.

Cons

Atmosphere really sucks!

Was ok

This job was the best place I worked and I hyped up to everyone and everybody that would listen. They actually cared about their employees but as there is at every job there is always that one bad apple that made the whole company unable to be trusted. One bad apple made me lose all faith in this company when they did not follow the promise or integrity they have worked hard to build

Pros

Pay, no weekends, hours

Cons

Favoritism, and other reasons I will be professional and not mention

Friendliness and energetic

My job was great and I enjoyed making friends.while working alongside friends I enjoyed working as much as I could. I worked 8 hours every day and I got payed every week and saved my money.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Short breaks

Great when I first started, then company went "down hill" fast

This was a company who gave off great vibes and had very helpful management and supervisors - - to start. After my first year there, things changed and drastically went down-hill. The company began finding reasons to let their "aged" employees go - a no-no from every standpoint. Employee consideration sunk to low-to-none as did morale. Employees began doing more work for same or less pay, and new people hired in were at a higher rate in pay than those who'd been working hard there for awhile. Main supervisor over all customer service area was stuck-up and difficult to talk to, unless you were on your way "out," then she said "good-bye" and smiled. Not a good place to work anymore, sad to say.

Pros

Nice lunch room and clean rest rooms

Cons

Poor supervisory help, pay not enough for the job you are expected to do, poor on-going training

Not a good company to work for

Worst place I have ever worked ever. Over work employees and then does a cookout to compensate all the extra work they put on employees. Female supervisor was the WORST supervisor I’ve ever experienced and it’s mutual among all employees. She’s the reason most leave

Pros

Pay was decent. Cookouts

Cons

Terrible insurance, Management terrible, Never know when you’re getting off, Treat employees with no respect, Managers talk behind employees backs in a disrespectful way

Great place to work long term.

I started here as a temp and was hired on 3 months later. I got my first raise upon being hired in and then my second the following year. This was my first job where i gained experience operating a lift truck, powered pallet jack, and forklift. Over 2 years I've learned how to operate so many work vehicles that i feel confident enough to apply for any job anywhere. This is a great place to work with great management, good staff and great pay and benefits!

Irritating

If you dont buddy up next to managment you get no where in the company. The recent supervisor only got his position because he golfed with the managment team.

Great if you want customer service experience

School specialty does what they can to keep their employees happy. Free food, t-shirts, etcetera. The hours are okay. You get to look out a window and see sky and grass.

Management is horrible

In my job, there are 12 of us for the whole country. Including me, they lost 9 people in 1 year I was there. Management is horrible. They dont train you, they expect your peers to do it, and they are not on the same page, so you are set up for failure the moment you are hired. The director of sales is the last one in the building and the first one out. You can see her in her office on her phone 90% of the time she is there. Claims she was a captain in the military, but apparently had no standards while she was in. Absolutely horrible place and no job security at all.

Pleasant.

Totally enjoyed working there. Met a lot of good people. Got along with everyone. Manager was very respectful. People were very easy to get along with. Seemed efficient and controlled. Would recommend.

Decent work.

Enjoyed school specialty. Just wished the pay and some of the management was different. Worked 3rd and got a lot of slack from 1st shift. But we did our jobs and did them well

Horrible

Wasnt too bad however bad managment became an issur along with the treatment of workers. They forced the 1st shift people to go to 3rd shift or gave the option to quit said we was no longer aloud on 1st no more

School Specialty was a nice place to work. If anyone had questions they were willing to give the answer or they were willing to help you find the answer. Everyone was very nice.

Overall a good and enjoyable job that had a lot more good than frustrating

It was pretty simple. I was able to do many things and learn what I wanted. If you work hard, you would enjoy this job. I recommend it. I could work at my own pace, which I always tried to be faster and more efficient than others. The people care about each other, from management to new people. It can be rough to maybe get used to or the hours, but I didn't have much issue with it. When I went back, it was known how it would be and easier.

Pros

Breaks, work at your pace, ability to learn

Cons

Hours were a complaint for some

Great company

Great company to work for, very understanfing and met your needs. Always do special things for their employees such ad caterings, company shirts. Overall a great place to work.

Demanding workplace with excellent benefits

I would recommend this as a career path if you would like to work with schools in a non teaching environment. However, the work life balance is a tad bit rough.

Pros

3 weeks vacation starting

Cons

Work life balance is a bit rough.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at School Specialty, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
4.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight