School of Rock Employee Reviews

An amazing place to work that feels like a family
Studio Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZAugust 19, 2018
SOR is a safe and inclusive space for everyone and always makes you feel at home, we are like a family and I love working there. We are also always welcoming and hospitable.
Pros
Welcoming, well managed, fun job
Cons
No benefits
Great Hours, Rough Management
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 13, 2018
I work as a franchise manager currently. The communication with our higher ups is almost non-existent, and when it is, they don't like to listen. The hours are extremely flexible, and they are understanding in terms of family issues and second jobs (which you will need no matter what position you take at this company). School of Rock does not appreciate the work that their instructors do, and definitely does not compensate them the appropriate amount. they expect you to dedicate your life to the program, but don't pay you enough to cover your bills. It is a stressful job: angry clients, constant change, and hypocritical training. If you can handle it and are looking for something fun to do in your spare time, go for it.
Music Director and General Manager (Current Employee) –  Arnold, MDAugust 13, 2018
Working as a General Manager for the School of Rock in Annapolis, the instructors, parents, and students are wonderful. I don't appreciate how the upper management, CEO's, treat myself and the teachers. They have no interpersonal skills, and they try to find ways to micro manage my personal life. I wish I had known what I was getting into before I took the job.
Cool job, decent pay, great culture
Instrument Instructor (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHAugust 9, 2018
This is just a really cool job. Show up, teach some lessons on how to play with a focus on rock, and popular music in general. The management is friendly and fairly laid back as long as you show up and work hard, which is pretty easy considering how fun this job is.
Best Job Ever.
Music Director (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NYJuly 28, 2018
I have found School of Rock to be an incredibly rewarding company to work for. The students and their families are thankful for the high standards we hold. Teachers are knowledgeable, patient and caring - no drama at all. Hardest part of the job is certainly note-for-note transcribing difficult pieces for our students - i,e. Steely Dan, Rush, Van Halen. Coming to work everyday knowing you are helping people learn to play music is one of the greatest feelings one can hope for.
Collaborative, Well Organized, and Laid Back Environment
Intern (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJJuly 25, 2018
As an Intern I would work around 6-7 hours per day doing what most expect of an intern. We were there to assist the kids, other staff members, and help with any other needs the school had. A huge part of the experience was learning how to work with kids of all ages, and be able to teach and converse with those who seemed apprehensive or those who were difficult to get through to. The staff had to very much fend for themselves as the manager and director of the school were frequently away which leaded to a more laid back working environment, but sometimes chaotic as well. I feel that the lack of good management speaks as both a pro and con.
Pros
Breaks, Lunch Breaks, Eventual Payment
Cons
Poor management
Great product...I truly believe in what we do!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILJuly 13, 2018
School of Rock is a great environment. The job provided me with opportunities to do everything I enjoy in work. I love seeing the change in children and adults who find their "voice" at SOR.
Fun work environment!
Vocal Instructor (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXJuly 9, 2018
I love working as a voice teacher at the School of Rock! It's such a fun experience. The atmosphere is great as well as the kids, parents, and coworkers. A typical day includes lessons in your area (guitar, bass, drums, etc). I've learned to individualize my teaching style and use more alternative styles of singing and techniques in comparison to my 10ish years of classical training! Management is wonderful, however, there are some problems with corporate and franchises not meeting eye to eye, especially on company budget, new equipment, etc. The hardest part of the job is taking in new students and having to learn all of their needs in what you are teaching, but it is rewarding once you do. For the most, this job is very satisfying and enjoyable.
Pros
Atmosphere, students, independent lesson planning.
Cons
Lack of teacher/instructor training, hard to fulfill full time requirments, no raises, small business budget per school, and the higher up people are not involved enough to see things like the need of new furniture, equipment, etc.
It's fun but I truly can't recommend
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 6, 2018
The culture of the school is what's absolutely amazing. Your students, the parents, the shows, the other instructors. You'll love your day to day life there.

But as time goes on, and you begin working there for a while you'll begin to notice you have basically no room for advancement after you've become a show director (which each school determines who will become one in their own manner so it's also rarely an earned privilege in even the slightest -- from my experiences show directors are sometimes picked from completely random criteria).

You'll notice you have very little employee benefits... In fact, I can't think of a single one aside from an understanding scheduling staff if you need to go on tour and whatever food/coffee is left in your school's lounge area. Aside from that there's no real benefits.

You'll also notice pretty much either a swiss cheese schedule of barely any students (and you don't get paid unless you're teaching so you can be there from 3-9 but only get paid for 4 hours) or a schedule completely packed to the brim not following labor laws regarding breaks. This also means depending on the ebb and flow of school breaks and whatnot that your income will truly suffer. You'll grow to hate winter break, spring break and the summer more than anything.

You'll also notice that unless you're working for a franchise school; you're probably getting extremely underpaid in comparison to other music schools in your area. Even though parents are paying quite a lot for their student's education very little of that money is coming back to you as the instructor.
  more... The corporation definitely does not give priority to the instructors and while it seems some people in the higher offices care about keeping a happy and fulfilled culture in the schools the overall vibe that is presented to us instructors from corporate is that money is the ultimate priority.

The one pro I can say about School of Rock is that with a good Music Director and Manager team (assuming you -have- a good team); you will learn how to become a better and more effective teacher so even if you are someone with very little teaching experience you can get some great chops for learning how to teach. But that's maybe the only helpful thing to you.
Pros
Students, teaching, emotionally rewarding, your school probably has free coffee?
Cons
Financially unstable, unsupportive corporate offices, no actual benefits for instructors, underpaid
Pretty Cool Place
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Germantown, TNJuly 1, 2018
I enjoy this job. It's a good part time gig. There should be more opportunities for extra cash built into the corporate structure. I would recommend this job for anyone looking to do a rewarding job.
Great Job, Terrible Company
Music Director/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 18, 2018
When I left, the company was downsizing support staff, putting a tremendous strain on the staff, where I was the only full-time employee at the time. I often worked 6 -7 days a week without overtime despite being on an hourly wage. The company continues to pay employees less than legal minimum wage and does not provide breaks. The culture of the company is driven by profit only - at the expense of the quality of programming, the experience of families, and even the safety of children.
Pros
Awesome staff, lots of fun teaching great kids your favorite music
Cons
Making less than minimum wage, no breaks, lack of support from corporate
Great Start to My Career
POST PRODUCTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 12, 2018
This was a very fun show to work for, and the creators are very nice people. Because it's a kid's network, the pay was a little low. Great place for a career start.
Pros
Great entry to career
Cons
Low pay
Workplace culture
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 7, 2018
Fun place to work, everyone was very helpful and the money was good for the amount of hours being so few. Always busy, especially on Friday nights. Helps that it is on mill ave.
Music Lessons and Band Rehearsals
West Broward, Music Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 5, 2018
School of Rock is a fun place to work. However, the work hours are very limited to part time only, and it is not enough to survive on alone. The hardest part of the job is that it simply doesn't provide any benefits, and they only offer an average of 10-20 hours per week for employees. In order to live comfortably someone would have to have another job or two in order to balance out cost of living in this region.
Pros
fun place
Cons
not enough work to survive on
Too few students to stay
DRUM INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Ahwatukee, AZMay 24, 2018
Did not get students to replace the ones that had to reschedule.
I have no beef with them and I don't feel like giving a good or bad review... However,
I didn't really approve of their 'methods' of just trying to get kids to play out - while charging high lesson prices and poor pay to the teachers... Don't use this in deciding whether or not to go to SOR.
Great Co-workers, poor management
Drum Instructor (Former Employee) –  Mokena, ILMay 21, 2018
Teaching music lessons at School of Rock was great. Working with the students and parents was awesome, some of the best co-workers you could ask for. Workplace culture was cool but management was terrible.
Fun place to work
Front service desk (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILMay 20, 2018
I enjoyed my time at school of Rock. It taught me a lot about working with people and music. It helped me learn more about music and it also helped with every day interactions with people
Cool environment and Rewarding work
Vocal Instructor (Current Employee) –  Germantown, TNMay 15, 2018
My favorite part about this job is working with the students. To see them grow vocally is such a rewarding feeling to have as a teacher!
The owners are very involved in the school and are always around to help you out when it is needed.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Working odd hours
Great company, great students.
Teacher - Private Lessons and Group Instruction (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2018
This is a great opportunity to teach a wide variety of students in a very fun curriculum without having to worry about the administrative side of scheduling your own lessons. Teaching group classes is a lot of fun, and it's very rewarding helping younger students come to love the songs that we grew up playing.
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAMay 3, 2018
School of Rock is a great place to work in terms of adding to your overall earnings as a full time musician. They teach in a way that really makes sense to help kids become musicians. The management is really great and caring, and I like that I get to do a variety of things like teach private lessons, run a group (although the kids can be wild sometimes) and get a break. The hardest part of the job are the groups but I have a good manager who helps with that. I really like working with kids who are into music and want to learn, and I like the people I work with a lot. It's a great place. It's a part time thing so I am not looking to this place to provide me everything, it's just right for what it is.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Would like some healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at School of Rock. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.2Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight