SCHUMACHER HOMES Employee Reviews

No one has a clue and high turnover!
HOME BUILDER (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCJanuary 14, 2019
I came in as a builder with a lot of experience and felt I could contribute. I learned quickly that no one had a clue what was going on at any level in any department. My first week of training consisted of driving around with another builder who would take me to their houses they had under construction to show me all the problems which were many. After a week of driving around with someone who tried to avoid the owners they were building houses for I realized it was a look over your shoulder environment because everyone is constantly covering their backside. Several people were let go the first few weeks I was there and ultimately my boss was relieved within a few months and then it all went downhill from there. I was let go with no warning or reason. I don’t know what shady stuff they tell the homeowners but every house I built the owners said they had been waiting for months after signing paperwork with no communication on when the home construction would begin. I would not trust or have anything to do with this company.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Poor management
Don't be fooled
New Home Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 2, 2018
Upon initial start, the company seems great. Wonderful family atmosphere and people. Very shortly after it becomes apparent it's all about numbers, not the clients. Over loaded, unappreciated and under paid. Bonuses, incentives and extras? HA! A joke. They have the "Schumacher process" so it takes minimum 6 months to get any type of bonus. Builders are pushed to breaking points to have homes completed in 180 days.. anywhere from 884sq ft to 5,738sq ft. Management gives no support to builders or any other staff unless you brown nose. Have a complaint? Keep it to yourself. The company doesn't want to hear about it. Have an idea to make things better? Keep that to yourself as well. Forget having a personal life. With their new surface software and iPhones, you are connected with your clients 24/7. They are terrific at telling you how to do your job, but they have never worked a day in your position in their life. If your a customer and have a complaint, that's too bad. You'll be directed right back to your builder because the managers don't care. Want weekends off or holidays? Only if you are in "production"...otherwise your time is their time and you better be hitting your goals no matter the costs. These are NOT custom built homes as they advertise but a production builder with limited changes.....as long as they don't exceed more than 20% of the original floor plan. Beware! Such a shady company!
Beware
Sales consultant (Former Employee) –  DuncanOctober 6, 2018
Beware! They will tell you it takes 60 days to get paid once you sell a job. Try 6 months! They nickel and dime the customer until they decide not to build. This will only hurt the sales rep as the rest are salary and want you to fail because even though the entire process revolves around the sale they truly believe production is the only department that matters. Turnover is rampit and hard to feel comfortable while looking over your shoulder. Desk job. If you are ok with terrible long hours, very long time to get paid, small commission percentage and the feeling of not belonging then this maybe for you. Otherwise I highly recommend trying someone else.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Good job, but not for me.
Customer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 24, 2018
The work environment was good, my co workers were friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job came as my job duties changed.
Most enjoyable part of the job was getting along with my team and helping the customers solve any issues.
Pros
slower paced work environment
Cons
situations that are out of your control
Long hours, every weekend working,low pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  NCAugust 30, 2018
Worked here for a year, and the branch teams are great, but corporate is terrible. No family life, low pay. Good training to learn the home business but thats it. Builders near me are so much better and better priced for sure. They will tell you one thing at a sales meeting and then change that rule the next day. Very high pressure to produce as it should be for any commission job, but unless your selling 10 homes a month, you will be gone within a year. Not worth it.
Pros
Good training, branch staff
Cons
very low pay, corporate does not care about branch people
A typical day
Architectural drafter for Charleston, SC area (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHMay 8, 2018
A typical day a Schumacher, I would show up an hour early and hit the ground running. I drafted on Softplan for the most part, some CAD. I drafted for one of the busiest offices of Schumacher. The typical turn around on a job was two weeks.
Okay
Builder in the Asheville (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 5, 2018
Okay place to work, changes made it difficult to adjust to corporate situation. Poor direct line management and communication. On site help was challenging due to home office in Ohio.
Flexible hours but high pressure
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCFebruary 19, 2018
I loved the job at Schumacher homes. Very good company as a whole, very high pressure which is fine with me as I like to get things done quickly and done right the first time.
Pros
Company truck, phone, i pad
Cons
phone never cuts off
hard and difficult place work
Job Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 12, 2018
interview process doesn't match the actual job, work load is continually increased with no compensation, you alway expected to take up the short comings of other departments and people
Pros
interesting product and good customer base
Cons
poor systems, no training, bad management
A good company to learn production based home building,
Builder (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCJanuary 2, 2018
Move from job to job at scatterd sites to inspect what was done each day. Schedule next trade in to keep projects moving. Be on site for inspections,and prepare for following inspections.
Pros
Able to manage own schedule.
Cons
Down time very limited.
What a Shame
New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 4, 2017
The local GM and staff are great, however, the owner/ corporate management has set very unrealistic goals for the salespeople. I feel bad for the staff because they are all such great people but suffer due to a high turnover of the sales staff; which affects their paychecks and job security.

The company builds a quality product but they are overpriced, thus, making it more difficult to close lower-end sales and they don't allow the salesperson time to cultivate the higher end buyers before firing them.

The Greenville location could have so much potential, however, it is stifled by upper management who lacks insight into the local market and does not give enough authority to the local GM.
Pros
Great GM and staff
Cons
unrealistic sales expectations
Enjoyable atmosphere, good work schedule, must be able to learn quickly
Customer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 19, 2017
The Customer Coordinator position is challenging yet rewarding. I really enjoy my everyday job. Our district managers are in the office twice a week and they're able to answer any questions about daily tasks or challenges. This position is learn as you go!! If you don't have construction experience, you may struggle in the beginning. If you focus on the industry and try to learn from each position in the office, you'll excel quickly. The company is close-knit and GREAT to work for. Family run and high level management very involved. Full benefits, HR is great about answering questions and listening to employees needs.I plan to stay with the company as long as possible.
Pros
Family run, challenging, GREAT work environment
Cons
none that I can identify at this time
high quality builder.
SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Belmont OhioMarch 3, 2017
Schumacher Homes is among the premier custom home builders. Their homes are very well built, and customer satisfaction is a major concern to them.
They like people who work hard at their job, Have fun while doing so, and want to make money.
Pros
great potential to earn good commissions.
Cons
hours of operation of sales centers.
This was a dream job!
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHDecember 19, 2016
I was hired to set up North Carolina and South Carolina for Schumacher Homes. We set up design centers in both states.
My typical day was driving to each location interviewing sales persons and hiring them. I was very active with each Chamber of Commerce in each location. Networking with local businesses and community leaders was crucial.
The learning curve was seeking ways to introduce a new home building from Ohio. I developed a grass roots program which actually got Schumacher out front and center in a lot of local activities.
The Schumacher's were great as managers.
The hardest part of the job was cancelled sales. The company was growing very quickly.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my sales team. I am still friends with them today on Facebook. We are life time friends.
Building relationships within the community and job force is the most rewarding aspect to me.
Pros
New territories to settled
Cons
Cancelled sales
Love My career here!
Current employee (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaNovember 4, 2016
I have been with Schumacher Homes for a few years now and must say that I love this company so very much!
We are a family oriented, customer based company!!
There are excellent advancement opportunities,pay raises, benefits, and a great bonus structure.
I am always very proud to say where I work, we take such pride in every single home, soo much goes into each home and customer and we have the most talented staffs that I have ever worked with and I've been in this industry for many many years and worked with many in construction.
I love that this is a company founded on the American principals of hard work and dedication to a dream!
If you are looking for an amazing family oriented company then apply with Schumacher Homes!
Pros
Family based, great pay, benefits, owner involvement with staff
Job Scammers Horrible people.
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Duncan, SCOctober 29, 2016
They offer jobs, and after accepting the job(s), new employees move to another state at job location. After moving to the state for the job position, they fire the new hires.
Pros
Cons
Management at main office in Ohio are judgmental you know whats
Clueless
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 4, 2016
This company has no training for management. Even the upper management does not have a clue they don't have a clue. The hours suck and the pay is horrible. Stay away!!!
Pros
Cons
N/a
Better places to work
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaSeptember 7, 2016
Sales is being run by the owner himself. The man has no new home sales experience nor has workd on his own sales floors to know what its like to sell in the environment we work in. He decided to give all sales people scripts to follow which were poorly written, full of grammatical errors and ridiculous to attempt to recite to customers. In the interest of "constant improvement" they prefer to constantly tinker with what works only to their detriment.

GM's have no training in managing diverse groups of employees or customers. I guess they were hired because they knew constructiion but thats really only a small part of the job. Their GM's across the board lack proper HR training, employee interaction and management skills and oftentimes work ethic.

The pay is paltry compared to other new home builders and its a very difficult sale to begin with. Now that the owner has decided in his infinite wisdom to script the presentation, sales will collapse. This once wonderful place to work has become intolerable.
Dont go here! Go somewhere where you are treated like a human being and work sensible hours. Its dark at 5:30 in the winter and you will be there by yourself till 7pm. They dont care about your safety. Just stay open and sell homes. Period.
I am leaving soon.
Pros
Interesting work, nice co workers
Cons
To many too list here.
Obnoxously overworked with little pay and no respect
Estimator / Project Manager - Custom Residential (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCSeptember 2, 2016
A family ran company that the Schumacher's give no respect to the field personnel that make them their money. Low pay with the promise of bonuses that are unable to be reached. Working hours that can reach up to 80 hours per week and an in house manager that will tell you, "the Schumacher's will give anything to the owners to keep from getting a bad review". And they will not back you, they will always take the owners side. The funny thing is that this isn't even a "bad" review, just a true one. So how do you stop those ?

If your an owner, yell loud enough and they will give away the farm. Accuracy means nothing and at the cooperate office in Canton, OH all of the managers work against each other instead of with each other. Yet at least there, if you get in, its a 40 hr week and out the door you go !

At the corporate office, depending upon the department, only the brown nosers' get to do anything worth while even if it is constantly wrong (New Home Design).
Pros
Pay check is on time
Cons
The other employees are decent to work with for the most par
Great place to work, always learning new job skills
Customer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ravenna, OHJune 29, 2016
Enjoyed working thru the entire process in the new home construction. Enjoyed meeting the customers from the beginning in selecting their home plan and assisting the new homeowners thru the building phase as well. General manager and co-workers worked well as a team.
Pros
Customers, co-workers and always learning new job skills