SCHWEBEL BAKING COMPANY Employee Reviews

2.5
Ratings breakdown
No Life!
every department (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 14, 2018
You are at work every day. Not much of a life here.
Mgnt doesn't have a clue or the help from the home office.
Most employees there HATE their job!

On the bright side, you will make a living,
Pros
Free bread to eat at the agency
Cons
A truly good job while selling bread to the massis.
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 11, 2018
A typical day, meeting new people.
Management, was ready and able to help. Most enjoyable parts, working the markets daily.
Pros
all the bread you could eat.
Cons
seven day per weak .
Horrible work environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Hebron, OHApril 20, 2018
Managment is terrible. Sanitation crew is lazy so everything you work around is disgustingly filthy. Supervisors dont take action when needed, mandatory overtime because theyre constantly short handed. Split days off, hot in summer cold in winter
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Work EVERY Holiday, rarely get 2 days off in a row
Good Opportunity
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHFebruary 18, 2018
Enjoyed working at Schwebel Baking Company. They were fair with their employees who worked hard for them. Opportunity for overtime was available. The benefits were great.
Benefits
Cons
I still love this company
Route Salesman (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 13, 2018
Route Salesman for Schweble's was my first real "adult" job. It helped give me an entrepreneurial spirit. Since leaving the company I've had two businesses of my own and am currently involved in another upstart. I still buy their products even though I haven't worked there for many years.
Pros
Not confined to a single location, decent income, great baked products.
Cons
Off on Wednesdays while family was in school or working, worked Saturdays when family was off, long hours and returns cut into salary.
They should be ashamed to pay so little
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Parma Heights, OHFebruary 11, 2018
Schwebel are the biggest cheapskates! It's 2018 and they can't even pay $9.00 an hour. I was making $9.00 an hour in an office 15 years ago. And don't think it's an easy peasy job and that's why they don't pay much. You'll have a backache when you go home from switching out bread trays and bending over changing bread from the front to the back all day long. Besides that, you have to keep track of every single loaf of bread that at the end of the day gets sold to pig farmers for a dime a loaf, and there's hundreds of loaves. Stop baking so much bread if you can't sell it!
Cons
Hard work for little pay, no lunch room, no microwave, no fridge, no coffee pot
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHFebruary 2, 2018
They over work you, you’re just another number, management is terrible, they pay extremely low compared to the work you do. They don’t care about people getting higher education,.
It Was Basically A Sweat Shop
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHJanuary 30, 2018
I worked in the summer, so I believe it was only temporary but I couldn't believe how hard this job would be. Quick breaks for long hours, I was covered in sweat from the time I got there to the time I left. Not a job I would ever do again. Pay was okay.
Good place to work good people enjoyed it
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJanuary 23, 2018
N/A. It was ok not a good job for me but a good job for someone that don't need a lot to get by.please stop making me write a forced review it wasbabgood job
Fun work place excellent management
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHJanuary 15, 2018
I left do to personal reasons nothing to do with the company I loved working there and I would go back if given the chance to do so excellent pay and excellent benefits
Pros
Good insurance and retirement job security
Cons
Cold trucks in the winter and hot trucks in the summer
Fast Paced and stressful
Driver/Sales (Current Employee) –  McKeesport, PAJanuary 13, 2018
Fast paced, stressful, over all good paying job with benefits.
Nowadays more geared for younger crew.
Early hours.
A lot of driving and in all elements.
Work Background
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHNovember 2, 2017
I work at the Solon, Ohio branch and yes the money was worth it but the management there was terrible! They wouldn't even allow water on the floor in the hot factory. There were times when they would call us early from break because they didn't put along enough break in the cooler. I would love to go back but they have to get a new management crew for me to even considerate that.
Cons
No lunchbreaks, short breaks even after working 10 hours.
N/a
Schwebel Factory (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHOctober 10, 2017
Really not much to say it's just a great Job overall great workers overall great pay get paid weekly and a lot of opportunities it's a lot of work but the pay is great
what a garbage company
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PASeptember 26, 2017
All the top dogs care about is putting money in their pockets, and the guys on the road get nothing but grief. The management is poor. They go after accounts that make no money instead of going after accounts worth the time and effort. I wish I had been warned before working there. I missed out on a lot of Saturdays with my girlfriend for that garbage.
Long hours low pay
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Big Flats, NYSeptember 26, 2017
Low pay for the industry only 36k no commission in the near future 12-15 hour work days 6-7 days a week micro managed, depot manager is shady and goes behind your back and plusses up your order causeing more work for the same pay company refuses to update it's infastructure using an outdated system,even when u work hard and fast and get " done" early u are forced to stay until at least 2 in the afternoon, upper management ignores every issue complained to them everyone in your position is nice helpful friendly and works hard , manager plays arts and crafts all day and does an 1/8 of the work u do while getting paid about 70k a year jumping down your throat while u make 36k
Pros
U meet nice stroehman guys who make way more then u doing less
Cons
Looooonnnggg days little pay
Long work hours
Route Sales (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHSeptember 17, 2017
Need to be willing to work more than 60 hours of work per week. A typical day at work starts around 4 am and works non-stop until around 4 pm. No lunch breaks. Work 5 - 6 days per week.
Pros
Good Health benefits. Store discount.
Cons
Long hours!
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHJuly 2, 2017
I was there for a couple of months and I enjoyed the job. Stressful but enjoyable. Although many of the other drivers were very negative and harassed me about whether or not I was ready to quit or not. Some of the guys were unfriendly. I was terminated. Management felt I wasn't a good fit, but they could've given me more time.
Pros
good money
Cons
negative vibes
this job is what you make it.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHMay 27, 2017
I have worked as a permanent, part-time employee on production for over 3 months now. I am looking forward to going full-time as soon as it is available. The work is monotonous, yes, but there are many wonderful coworkers. There is almost always an opportunity to get more hours. The pay is very good, and (as I have heard from many LONG-TERM employees) the benefits are very comprehensive.
Many reviews here complain about schedules and favoritism. Schedules for part -timers, such as myself, are easier to set more steady schedules, however, fulltimers who have not been awarded a bid position can have fluctuating hours and assignments. This can be changed after you establish some seniority and bidding for a position. Seniority is also the explanation for the so-called favoritism. You work side by side with people who have called Schwebel's "home" for decades!!! To see so many employees that have been there longer than I have been alive (and I'm no spring chicken!) is encouraging. Yes, the turnover rate is high. One and only reason: Expect to actually work. If you are looking for an easy paycheck, look elsewhere. Show up as scheduled, and work. End of story.
Pros
good pay, great coworkers, helpful (albeit busy) supervisors
Cons
scheduling changes, equipment isues
Some of the People that work there are not very nice
manager (Former Employee) –  Blasdell, NYMay 21, 2017
Working there was great until the company changed hands .The original owner passed away and now the company is more about making money for them self over caring for the people that work for them
Poor managment
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHMay 12, 2017
Worked at the Perrysburg branch for several months.
POOR MANAGEMENT.
My advise is to keep looking for another job.
You do not want to work for them.
RUN AWAY!