Scientific Drilling International Employee Reviews

Manager was great
On-Site Representative/Directional Driller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 7, 2019
I really enjoyed working here. The management team was great and a pleasure to deal with. As a contract hand I was told that they dont favor company hands over contract, but when the rigs stack its a different story.
Unfortunately it has been managed into the ground.
MWD OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Yukon, OKSeptember 11, 2019
Sr. management has managed this company out of market competition. They are too worried about profit margin to think about market share. Once you have burned those bridges, it is very difficult to repair those relationships.
I learned so much about the oil and gas
Accounts Receivable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 19, 2019
I loved working here.
They gave me good training and a lot of job opportunities.
Work ethic was important to them.
It was always stressful because of time limits
Pros
Good Training
Cons
Office Politics
Great company to work for
MWD Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2019
Best MWD company in Texas! Small enough to care about its people but big enough to compete against the big guys and win work. Pay is fair and management is committed to growth and promoting from within. Only problem is a lack of a rotation for MWD hands but that is standard in the industry. Directional Drillers however DO have a rotation in most cases! Highly recommend SDI
Pros
Great culture, advancement opportunities, fair pay
Cons
No work-life balance for MWD hands
Don't recommend it
Planner (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2019
SDI pays way below market value. The only reason I took a job here was because I really needed it; otherwise, I would not be here. Management expects you to work long hours, work from home after you leave the office, work on holidays, and dedicate your life to the company.
It's a typical Directional company
Senior Directional Drilling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 16, 2019
SDI isn't a bad company, and the local management isn't bad, but their technology while effective is outdated. Additionally, without a working rotary steerable package, they will lose out work to those who have it.
Really good people and respect for the employee was excellent,
MWD Operator (Field Operations) (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYMarch 14, 2019
Learned a lot while there about drilling rigs, people, geology, time management, attention to detail and made some very good life time friends. It was like an extended family, I still keep in touch with them today. I would recommend them to anyone. They are great people and good at what they do. Very Professional.
Pros
took good care of their people
Cons
sometimes not enough time to get to a rig short notice
a work place where everyone is like family
MWD Operator (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXFebruary 22, 2019
supervisors are nice and will do everything in their power to provide what you need to excel and be comfortable. They value family and will support you if anything. Their main goal is to make sure that you actually succeed.
Its a job
Directional Driller / Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Charleroi, PAJanuary 18, 2019
Didn't ever feel like a place where loyalty and hard work paid off. It wasn't terrible by any means but at the end I just treated it like a job. Ended up not being a very fun place to work.
Pros
professional
Cons
lack of loyalty, fun, straight talk
Life at SDI
Emerging Technology Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Paso Robles, CAJanuary 12, 2019
The money is good and the people are great, but the money does not make up for the time spent away from the family. I enjoyed working with cutting edge technology and the constant mental chess match
Pros
money
Cons
no home life
Terrible work place
Motor Technician (Former Employee) –  Yukon, OKDecember 19, 2018
Terrible work place with awful office staff besides a few nice ladies. Manager had no idea what he was talking about and never took anything but conformity. Would not reccomend.
Great place to work in HSE
HSE Professional (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 23, 2018
Small HSE team with global footprint, direct reporting to operational management and only indirect reporting to corporate HSE Director and Hemisphere HSE Managers.

HSE professionals are widely free to manage safety in their local areas of responsibility, but due to direct reporting lines, often find a challenge with limited resource allocation.
Pros
Excellent HSE culture, leadership, and competitive pay
Cons
Cost to employee for benefits increase each year with less and less coverage (medical, dental, etc.)
No Rotation
Measure While Drilling (MWD) Field Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDSeptember 13, 2018
I was hardly ever on a rotation for days off and would work for about a month or so straight before finally getting to go home for a couple days to then be sent right back out.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
no days off
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Paso Robles, CAJuly 23, 2018
I enjoyed working here. The people were excellent and very willing to help in any way. My manager was fair and fun to work with and very appreciative of the workers.
fun technology and great people
Electronics Technician II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 11, 2018
In my experience SDI introduced me to technologies I never knew existed. It was fun, I learned a lot, and looked forward to going to work in the mornings. The upstream Oil and Gas industry is a tough market and the company has been forced to eat a lot of its' cost. That being said, management was great even though they have tough decisions to make.
Pros
pay, people, perks, insurance
Cons
upstream O&G market is a bi***
a great place to work
Equipment Distribution Mgr (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 4, 2018
This was a great place to work I started out in production control / material control planning, Then was asked if I would like to move to equipment distribution I accepted after a year of extensive training i had 21 domestic and international offices under my role, the thing I like most was the travel at a very young age of 23 they were sending me to all our offices around the world. What a great place to work.
Pros
the company itself
Cons
there were none
Was a great place to work at one time
Keeper Wireline Gyro Operator (Former Employee) –  PAApril 3, 2018
Great field people there.
Once company went hourly was not worth it.
On call 24/7 for almost minimum wage when I left.
No company truck have to use personal truck.
No fuel card. Have to pay out of pocket to do job then reimbursed after filing paperwork.
Same for food allowance.
Same for hotel stays.
Advancement while there seemed based on who you knew in office.
Coordinator did anything but in my department (gyro).
Fought me on money owed once I left.
Training is sub par. Coordinator and District Manager for different work than usual told use to read a manual to do job.
Tool is unreliable most of the time which causes rig time.
No paid holidays
Pros
Field workers are some of the best.
Cons
Salary, Management, Training
Found wanting more
Directional Driller (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 24, 2018
I have nothing good to say about scientific. So, if there is nothing good to say, there is nothing to say. They gave me an opportunity, and they tried starving me to quit. So, I went to Sperry to work.
Very professional yet concerned company
Temporary employee (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYMarch 5, 2018
I would highly recommend any applicant to consider employment with Scientific. The management and co-workers are exceptional. One of the best companies I have ever had the privilege of working for.
Pros
Great overall environment
Cons
Wages slightly lower than industry norms
You won't have a personal life
Directional Driller / Lead MWD (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 27, 2018
There are two parts or sides to Scientific, office staff and field staff. The office doesn't understand how being away from home, out of state, and disconnected from family effects field personnel. Be prepared to be on your own with little to no support. When there is a company picnic or party, you will be invited but rarely able to attend because you will be in the field but they will let you know how great it is. You will only be allowed to go home if someone dies that is in your immediate family. In other cases you will be reprimanded in one form or another regardless of what the law says. You are expected to work more than twelve hours per day. First they will say they are compensating for your time away from home by paying you more. Then they will say that they are paying you to work the hours. Despite what they say, you will not be paid the same as other coworkers doing the same job as you. It may be more or less depending on who you know to get the position. A person with ten years experience can make the same as someone with two.
If you are single, don't have any commitments or responsibilities, and can get along with people you may or may not like in a confined space, then this job will be fine for you. Don't worry about training, there won't be much. You will have to figure most of it out on your own. The training manuals are out of date and written by people who haven't actually spent time in the field. Don't bother calling HR about anything. It will be used against you.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, THE ONLY ONE WATCHING OUT FOR YOU IS YOU.