SCO Family of Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Counselor
Senior Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
They don't always do what they claim they do. A non profit who concerned with profit. Sometimes their environment can be unsafe for staff and client alike.
stepping stone
Quality Improvement Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sea Cliff, NYJuly 27, 2018
this job was a mix of relaxed and hectic. definitely a good stepping stone for individuals looking to gain experience. the staff are wonderful and very easy to get along with, as well as management.
Seemingly friendly environment
Medicaid Service Coordinator Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYJuly 25, 2018
I enjoyed working with the population and my job there. There is not much room for growth.Also there is very little job security, it’s at will employment.
Relaxed Place to work
Sociotherapist (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 17, 2018
This is an OK company to work for. The benefits and salary are adequate. The managers are very approachable. The salary is a bit lower than industry standard and there is not much opportunities for advancement.
Pros
flexible schedule, company cars for home visits
Cons
healthcare benefits
review
Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  Kew Gardens, NYJuly 6, 2018
Working with this agency was the best thing in my life

the people were awesome, the job was challenging but fair. the hardest part of my job was the feeling of helplessness in circumstances that i could not provide my staff or individuals with what they needed.

the best part of my job was to watch my individuals make achievement on their goals.
Pros
competitive wages and healthcare
Cons
not enough support from the government for annual cost of living increases
Great
Program supervisor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 2, 2018
SCO is a great non-profit agency to work for. I was able to learn great skills from this agency. It has been a place that I have been able to advance.
I enjoy working with youth and servicing them.
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 25, 2018
Working with youth has always been a passion of mines and still is. Honestly a typical day at work for someone such as myself can be great and hard working. Working as a single employee for the day, your work is doubled. If a youth connects with you, their always talking to you about whatever it may be. With this job I've learned about filling out different documentation needed to program usage. The hardest part of my job is seeing a youth not want to do nothing in their daily lives and me as a worker trying to find many alternatives to help them along the way.
Pros
Being able to work with youth
Cons
Not seeing them succeed with so much potential of them recieving the proper help, I.E. councleing
High demanding job but rewarding to see progress in patients
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYJune 20, 2018
The job was tough and stressful at times but building relationships with the patients and seeing their progress was most rewarding. You really have to be willing to work with people and have a love for the industry to progress in this job. Pay was not the greatest for some of the issues that presented themselves and I was only part-time so I didn't receive benefits. Otherwise, this job is great to enter the filed and get a foot in the door.
Workplace Culture and enjoyable
Waiver Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 15, 2018
Agency provides great opportunities for growth, mangers are supportive and WSP's are fully committed to the clients served.
Great opportunity for a novice to Allied Health.
Terrible
Social Worker/Case Planner, Foster Care Services (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJune 15, 2018
Honestly a terrible work environment. The director is obnoxious and condescending, the managers don't know what they're doing. The workload is way too intense for a normal human being.
Does not care about employees
social worker (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYJune 11, 2018
SCO claims to care about work/life balance but it does not,
SCO hires managers that only care about keeping their name in positive light and will do anything, cover up anything to make sure that this happens
SCO pays poorly and there was no cost of living increase in six years
SCO has had 3 different CEO's in the past 5 or so years
Human Resources is a joke and believes anything that administrative staff tell them
Pros
health insurance
Cons
Everything else
Stressful without enough adequate support.
Treatment Family Foster Care Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 3, 2018
Caseplanning is a difficult job as it is, therapeutic caseplanning is even more difficult.

there was a lot to learn about time management but there's a lack of support in the emotional aspect and the insurance wasn't good enough for me to get mental health support that i desperately needed in the work.

the clear highlight of my job was getting two kids adopted out to a wonderful family, but that's happened once in my year so far. I have had to deal with dozens of emergencies on the other hand.
loved working with the kids
children services (Former Employee) –  Kings County, NYMay 31, 2018
need more organization but loved interacting with the children learned time management hardest part was working with the parents the most enjoyable part was being an advocate for the young adults
good work environment
Family/Counselor/Parent Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 28, 2018
SCO was where i found out where my passion was. It helped me to develop the skills needed for the future. It taught me patience and empathy for the clients and helped me understand what they were going through. SCO was a fun place to work due to respect that was given.
Pros
able to work closely with clients
Cons
short lunch break
Productivity
After School Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 27, 2018
The program allow kids and parent to take part in there child life in school while work with homework and sports activity. I love the working with young kids .
It was stressful and demanding!
Senior Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Glen Cove, NYMay 26, 2018
Re-arranging your schedule was a constant. Management wants you to cover all areas and pay over time. Some staff would go to sleep and allow you to work through the shift without there assistance.
Pros
Hardwork!
Cons
insufficient benefits.
Foster care Agency
Clinical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NY 11717May 23, 2018
Worked with the foster children withing the Agency setting appointment with various social workers and therapist. my day also contained secretarial duties.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere to work at.
Cons
there were 3 floors and no elevator
Poor Management Style
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2018
With certain programs there is a huge disconnect from Director`s and Assistant Directors. WIth all the confusion it is very hard to do the job you were hired to do with lack of communication with upper management. With in the SSSHP their is a lack of accountability and sadly many employees low on the employment pyramid are left out to dry and possibly be terminated due to mistakes made by Upper management.
Pros
you get a vehicle
Cons
Low pay for the amount of unethical work you are instructed to do
Beginning of My Career
Therapeutic Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYMay 15, 2018
SCO was the beginning of my career. As my first building block I feel that it provided me with vital information to move forward in my career. After several years the job did take a toll on me as I felt I was not advancing. Watching the agency now, five years later, I am saddened to say that I do not feel they are doing the most effective job. This statement should not be tailored to each and every worker there as there are many workers who go above and beyond their job title. Working in foster care is not for the faint of heart, however it is an amazing learning experiences.
Trust me, this is not the type of work environment anyone needs
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYMay 14, 2018
Worked at a school in Westbury that was an awful mess. Everyone was looking to leave but was stuck in limbo because finding another job's difficult. You can see and feel the misery of all of the staff. The energy and morale were so low due to lack of job growth and salary. It's very top heavy. Administration has no idea what is going on or how the employees feel. Either they're clueless or very dumb because it's so apparent that the employees hate them.

They brag all the time about how amazing the school is doing but it has so many issues. You'll be miserable going to work every day. Trust me. You're lucky if can make it out.
Pros
Cons
Administration, overworked, can i say administration again, terrible work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SCO Family of Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight