SCO Family of Services Employee Reviews

Incredible team of dedicated and seasoned professionals.
FUNCTIONAL FAMILY THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 10, 2018
I would recommend SCO if office culture is important. Executive managment is very hands on and it is not a political atmosphere. The pay is quite mediocre to but the benefits are exceptional.
Pros
Flex spending account, very strong benefits, excellent team
Cons
low pay
SCO is a very stress and cutthroat place to be at. I didn't learn anything there, but how to bill the patient, so the agency call get paid.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 3, 2018
Management from the bottom up will push all of their interns and paid "employees" (which are all Per diem) to bill bill bill their patients and push unnecessary programs the patient doesn't need. The turn over rate at SCO is so very high. Working there made me hate becoming a therapist.
Pros
As a therapist you are exposed to all walks of life
Cons
Disrespectful, unsupportive and cutthroat management
Productive work enviroment
Counseling Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 29, 2017
A typical day at work is helping a resident try and be productive at things in life. Trying to show them that being responsible for themselves is a part of growing up.
Pros
free food
Cons
salary
Developed managerial skill set.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ozone Park, NYDecember 18, 2017
A typical day at work was adventurous depending on how the dually diagnosis individuals day went or how the staff reacted would set a challenge for you as the manger.

The hardest part of my job as a manger was to maintain a balance amongst staff, individuals, administration and parents. Being the manager is like being the go to person who never gets a break.

The most enjoyable part of this job is finding a calm for everyone to work in harmony.
Pros
fun people to work with
Cons
compensation was poor
ok
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 8, 2017
My experiences as a teacher, coach, adviser, and coordinator of activities have prepared me to take the next step in my career in education. I have always had a passion for extracurricular activities and working with young people. The position of Activities Director combines these two passions perfectly. My mission is to coordinate activities that create opportunities for student success beyond the classroom.
Worked with ID/DD population
Senior Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Sea Cliff, NYNovember 28, 2017
Get residents ready for the day with ADL assistance ( bathing, toileting, hygiene, toothbrushing). Take residents on community outings. Prepare food for the day.
Great supervisor, learned a lot, sad to go
Day Habilitation Specialist (part time) (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYNovember 27, 2017
A typical day for me was to pick up my individual at their home or CR and depending on the individual, we would go out into the community for 4-5 hours and work on socialization skills or other goals. I learned a lot about working with the developmentally disabled population.
My supervisor was great and understanding. She was fully supportive when I told her I had to leave the job for a medical issue.
Before my medical issue, I was hoping to advance within the organization when the right position opened up.
Great Atmosphere
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, NYNovember 27, 2017
Great place to work. Yearly Salaries are very low but it is a great Atmosphere. Management is wonderful. In my opinion some of the money is wasted and there are positions that are unnecessary. the company should take those funds and put them into the hardworking employees who are working very hard everyday. There are too many cooks in the kitchen if you will.
Pros
Great work Atmosphere
Cons
Low salries
Very good people and a very rewarding job.
Community Habilitation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NYNovember 25, 2017
IT really was a pleasure to work at SCO. Management was great, the individuals were fantastic to work with. I really enjoyed the process of setting specific goals and working toward them. It is a wonderful company that does good work. Unfortunately, the pay is very low, there is a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle.
SCO Family of Services
Therapeutic Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 24, 2017
Overworked with case notes, court reports, psychsocials, ICPC packets, and emergencies. If you enough the rollercoaster ride of your blood pressure then this is the job is for you but if you want to preserve your health don't do it.
Pros
Benefits and time off
Cons
Stree
not a stressful job environment but low pay
Services RN Pediatric/Psychiatric (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 20, 2017
The job does not offer any raise even if you've been there for years. To move upward in finances, you have to look for outside employment for supplementation. The good thing is it is not a stressful environment. pay for RN is very low.
Pros
not stressful
Cons
no type of raise and low pay.
good place
College & Career Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 19, 2017
good place to work and gain experience for social work. Mental health counseling, social work , homelessness youth development, child care, foster care, are all realms to work with sco.
Disappointing
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 18, 2017
Pay rate stays the same. Morale is very low because no one is encouraging or appreciative. If you're a quality worker the only thing you will get is more work. Communication is horrible. Management is a nightmare. Passing the buck will be your fate. Promotion isn't a possibility. Supervision does not exist. Anyone can be your boss on any given day. Your just a worker not a valued employee. Ridiculous deadlines. I had high hopes, but I was truly let down.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Low pay, too many chiefs, no support. Terrible Management
Family like atmosphere
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 18, 2017
The organization is first class. Some of the umbrella sites can have questionable managers. Overall however, not a bad working environment. Very good opportunities for advancement.
Enjoyed
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 17, 2017
Overall it was a great experience. I met some wonderful people (staff and clients). The work load was lot and often changed, but we had a powerful team.
Horrible
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 8, 2017
My experience has been ok but I feel I am under paid. The pay is horrible considering the fact that your a parent for the children and your responsible for their well being.
workplace culture
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sea Cliff, NYNovember 8, 2017
unorganized but family culture and good workplace culture. The hardest part of the job is that you need to work long hours and extra shifts in order to be able to survive
Advancement opportunities
Foster Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYNovember 6, 2017
Working for WPA was a very rewarding experience. Management can be better. I was able to advancment through the company at a very fast pace. The company was very supportive of employees that wanted to move up in the company.
Pros
Advancement opportunity
Cons
Management is not great
Summary of workplace
Social Worker/QMRP/Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYNovember 2, 2017
Great place to work at. Learn team work, leadership and consistency. I also develop relationships with other companies due to being a liaison. SCO cared about the individuals we supported and met there needs.
Terrible Experience
Other (Former Employee) –  Sea Cliff, NYNovember 1, 2017
Unsafe environment for both workers and children. Everyone there is absolutely miserable. The best part was working directly with the children. Would not recommend.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SCO Family of Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight