Scotiabank Employee Reviews

Found 264 reviews matching the search See all 3,233 reviews
Recipient of numerous regognition awards
Payment Officer-Money Transfer Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
Handled incoming and outgoing electronic payments via Chip, Fed Swift and Book Transfer with accuracy and competence.
Performs various and complex item processing functions as necessary
Digital Project Manager (Former Employee) –  CAOctober 24, 2018
I worked for Scotiabank 10 years and I can honestly said I enjoyed it unitl the end, good team members, a lot of opportunities to learn new skills and advance your career.
Great Working environment
Personal Banking Officer (PBO) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2018
Over all a typical day at Soctiabank was well spend and productive due to the tool and resources that were available to me to get the work done. I have learnt so much more about the importance of customer care and how to better serve customers. The management style at Scotiabank was more relaxed and easier to communicate with. The local culture of the country has a great impact in the bank which causes employs and learn and respect each other" culture.
Family orientated work place.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  OntarioOctober 21, 2018
Enjoyed all of my 11 years with Scotiabank. Wonderful and diverse. It isn't just a job you become part of a family.
In the retail banking area you can expect to be multi tasking continuously. While there are two sides of each branch- service & sales they are very much one team. Digital banking is very much in the fabric of banking.
Pros
Forward Thinking
Fast paced and high stress environment typical to the banking industry.
Wealth Management Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 26, 2018
Scotiabank it is similar to most large banks in Canada - it is a fast-paced and high stress environment, typical of the industry. Benefits have been reducing over the years, but again typical to the industry .
Exploits temps
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2018
I was promised a permanent job. During my tenure we had a 300% increase in hiring and yet I was not offered a permanent job. Also a great deal of turnover in certain departments.
Pros
Nice building
Cons
Cramped and lacks any decent pantry or other amenities.
If you like to work in chaos,this is the place for you.
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2018
Orientation is a joke. an hour with a bored HR person going over benefits (which suck BTW. Training programs and tuition reimbursement programs are "by invitation only" so not everyone can benefit from learning opportunities. 2 weeks severance pay for every year worked. Ridiculously high premiums for health insurance and if your spouse / partner is eligible for health insurance through their job Scotiabank wont allow you to have them on your health insurance, paltry 401k match) and nothing else. After I went through the new hire program with HR, I had a meeting with my manager who was very high up there despite her lack of knowledge about almost everything in the department she ran and being a lapdog for the SVP who ran the office.. I asked her who i should introduce myself to that i will be working with most often since my job involved working with people all over the bank. I was told to "just do my job. You're not here to make friends."

the bank is undergoing massive operational changes as a result of the Fed and NY State Banking Commission slapping their hands really hard because the bank got caught money laundering a few years ago but no one can define what the end state will be, not even the people working on it. They are hiring a lot of people to work on this program - a lot of really smart, talented people who quickly become frustrated at the arrogance, lack of knowledge and hubris among long time and senior level staff. Don't even think about working here if you have half a brain or a bias toward action.

The office location is nice but its severely overcrowded.
  more... The entire office is setup as a trading floor environment and you spend your day elbow to elbow with other people that probaly arent even in your department. And good luck trying to reserve a conference room to hold a meeting.. All the conference rooms have been repurposed to have people working in them since there is no room for any more desks anywhere in the office. It is incredibly LOUD there too which is a distraction when you need to concentrate on your work. There have been times when it's been so loud l can't even hear on the phone and the constant coughing, sneezing and other bodily noises all day is disgusting.. And,with the exception of a few people, it might be the most unfriendly and rudest place I have ever worked. People don't say hello to one another if they pass and if you hold the door for someone, don't expect them to say thank you or even acknowledge that you held the door. It's so bad that the SVP in charge of the office had to send out an email reminding people to be polite to one another. And the technology is so far behind it makes it harder to do your work. They still use Windows 7 and Office 2010.

Don't expect any leadership or guidance from the top. They're absolotuely pompous and clueless.and hide their lack of knowledge behind a word salad of buzzwords that make no sense to anyone with half a brain. They spend most of their days in meetings about nonsense and have no time for people. I've been here for one year and they've only had one town hall so far. The Q&A session within the town hall was surreal with one person asking a question then the EVP in charge of the office and the global head of the business line yanking each others chains about how awesome the other one was so no one in the audience can ask a question.. It was like a bad comedy routine.

Bonuses suck, too.
Pros
The cafeteria is good.
Cons
Too many to mention
Fun Place to work
SENIOR ACCOUNTING CLERK (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONSeptember 24, 2018
I had a great time working at scotiabank, I really enjoyed working with the people there, work was easy but sometimes demanding. overall a great company to work for.
Good place to end a career
Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2018
Very laid back culture (it's the Canadian way). Expect to have great work life balance at the cost of below industry pay. I enjoyed my time with the firm but would not recommend for someone that is 'hungry,' motivated and looking for a challenging work environment. This seems like the type of place to work if you want to ease into retirement or have more time to spend with your family.
Repetitive work but it could change in future
associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OHSeptember 13, 2018
Typical day meant lots of meetings and not a lot of time to get work done. People are really nice - try their best. Lots of changes happening right now so lots of things in the air.
Pros
People
Cons
not a lot of communication
Un ambiente de trabajo agradable y acojedor ,te hacen sentir parte importante de la empresa
Teller II (Former Employee) –  Santo Domingo, PRSeptember 12, 2018
Mejorar Los salarios ha mas competitivo, exelente.
Awesome place to work
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Nassau County, NYSeptember 9, 2018
Being at Scotiabank for the past decade has been an awesome experience. I learned a lot, I found my passion in compliance and I wouldn’t trade my time there for anything.
A well balanced workplace
Teller; Customer Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bridgetown, BBAugust 24, 2018
Scotiabank is a very competitive bank. The benefits are quite reasonable. I would recommend to anyone looking for a productive career in banking. Banking these days usually requires long hours.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Demanding Job
Excelente empresa.
Asistant Manager Service and Support (Former Employee) –  Bayamón, PRAugust 22, 2018
Muy buen patrono con muchas oportunidades de crecimiento.
Pros
Seguro médico privado, 401k entre otros beneficios.
Cons
Ninguna
New York office operates like a start up
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2018
The New York Office operates like a start up with majority of the people being new. The processes need to be defined and technology has to be built out. The hours are long.
Excellent Work Experience
Senior Teller (Former Employee) –  Clarendon JamaicaAugust 15, 2018
Working with the Bank of Nova Scotia was my first job. This allowed me to quickly blossomed and gave me a good foundation for customer service in a very professional environment.
Pros
Free Lunch, heath care, and provided options for growth inside the company
Cons
High Risk, always had robberies on the outside and always had to be prepared for something like that inside.
Excelente
Ejecutivo de Negocios (Former Employee) –  Santo domingoAugust 12, 2018
Excelente empresa.Me dieron la oportunidad y la verdad que es una empresa con valores grandiosos, Lastima que tuve que irme por razones de la ubicacion.
Pros
Horas Extras, Combustible, Bonos Extras
Cons
No tengo ninguno de manera personal
My job at Banking
Manager/Small business account manager (Former Employee) –  Mayagüez Zona Urbana, PRAugust 1, 2018
Since I started working at the bank, they provided me the opportunity to be promoted from a account manager to a branch manager. I worked in banking for more than eighteen years. I would describe myself as focused, organized, positive, thoughtful. I am a leader to set a good example for others to follow. That is where my commitment, passion, empathy, honesty and integrity come into play. I have good communication skills and decision-making capabilities for success. The innovation and creative thinking, as well as the futuristic vision, are vital to contribute to reach the goals of the company.
As a operation and branch manager, I managed sales, operations, and customer service. My job varies a lot from day to day, but involves a lot of customer service and staff issues. I am proud of the job done. I like helping out the people in my community, whether it is a small business needing a loan or a single mom that has too many overdraft fees. I feel it is very important to educate people to become financially healthy because it will construct their future. When I was working I would not simply worked to satisfy my own objectives, I took a broader interest in the work of my colleagues and all my staff, and how all the segments fitted into the whole.
The bank has strong organizational culture, focus on constant development. The bank makes strong emphasis on professional development within positions.
Pros
Strong emphasis on professional development within position.
Cons
nothin - It is a great organization
Teller (Current Employee) –  PenalJuly 29, 2018
A very productive, fast-paced organization to work in where new skills and experiences are learnt. One can gain beneficial qualities like patience when dealing with customers. I also learnt that not all staff employees have the same learning capacity and capabilities, however, with the traits of patience and support, any one can get the job done without difficulties. A happy and motivated workforce conceives excellent customer service and the retention of customer loyalty.
Pros
dental insurance
Cons
short breaks
This is an excelante place of work
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRJuly 25, 2018
This bank offer a great place of work and offer a competitive benefit to all employee , offer training and they have a strong structure on all the bank
Pros
lunch
Cons
heathly care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scotiabank. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K
41.1K

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight