Scotts Miracle-Gro

United States679 reviews

seasonalmiraclegrogrolawnmiracleproductmerchandiserdisplay

Great Company

Featured review

Scotts Miracle-Gro selected this as a representative review
Working for Scott’s was such an awesome experience. Very laid back management and they wouldn’t pester you like some jobs. If I could’ve work full time I would’ve. Typical day is you showing up to your assigned store with a task list and squaring away the Scott’s section of said store, making sure that the sections look clean and presentable to customers.

Laid back, easy, good company

Very easy job for anyone who just needs to make some quick money. Managers train you and then trust you to be on your own very quickly. I would definitely recommend

Scotts Miracle-Gro insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Inclusive work environment

Production Supervisor is a hot head.

Working at Scotts was a pleasure. I loved my job and coworkers that worked in the plant. The maintenance supervisor was promoted to Production Supervisor. He was a hot head and it got worse once he was promoted. If you don’t follow his rules and agree with him on every issue you will be on your way out. He makes his own rules when we are suppose to follow corporates lead. The plant associates are the best around. I enjoyed working with them all. The Management at this plant needs a BIG change! If you are at another plant location you will be working for a great company.

Easy work

Not hard. Just have to drive to the location and fill shelves / build displays. Not sure about growth opportunities but days were easy and paid decent.

good place to work

Ok place to work, pay not great but there is opportunity to learn multiple positions. Long hours when in season, dirty environment to work but very good safety practices.All people great to work with.

benefits

Cons

long hours in season

Hardest part of job

Some days it gets very hot and the products you are lifting are 40-50 lbs bags it can get very draining. Most of the time you will have to deal with questions from customers about products that aren't yours.

Manual Labor

I learned some things about lawns, trees and shrubs but that was from another employee.These are seasonal jobs for most of the staff.They work 12 hour days in the spring and summer then keep a very small crew for the rest of the year. At the time I was employed here the job market was very bad so I was just glad I found something to earn a paycheck and that was all it was. They are no longer in business in this area.

Don't expect much except for decent pay

Management doesn't communicate, terrible situations where you're forced to lift 50+ pounds solo on ladders, being forced to sit around after all the main work is done for the manager to come by and force you to do more menial work that doesn't mean anything, non-existent reimbursement policy, and customers thinking you work for the store despite not wearing a store apron. Oh, and management also gets you in trouble for discussing wages with your co-workers, which is federally legal btw :)

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Hard labor, bad management, frustrating store communication, non-existent reimbursement for travel

Wouldn't Recommend this company they are shady , to much FAVORITISM.

They work you , then they lay you off without warning. No communication what so ever. Sr. Leads, Management, HR, need ALOT OF CHARACTER & TRAINING to be where they're at. I wouldn't recommend this company AT ALL.

Pros

N/a

Cons

10 min breaks, No communication between leads, Management to us employees, Work you then lay u off without notice

Good people

As both a live plant and hard product merchandiser/Conselor, I learned a lot about the products and merchandising. I was lucky to have good management who was very transparent on work hour expectations. The only draw back would be the seasonality of the work. I’d like a more consistent check.

Strong Company, average pay

The company is pretty strong and has a good leadership overall, but when broken down by departments it can get tricky. Depending on your side of the business it can be good or bad.

Pros

remote work, good 401K and vacation policy

Cons

hard to navigate if you aren't in sales, pay is below industry average

Do not consider it

They don’t care if you have worked for them 5 years or 30 years, they are a cut throat company. The good ones leave or are terminated and the bad apples stay, ridiculous.

Not a stable job .just a session job

Team ok , leader ok , work schedule need to be done properly and the communication need to be taken way more professional. Most of the times is a session job . Good for students or someone how want to earn a bit of pocket money

I enjoyed being active all day

I started in the slow season about 15 hrs a week but it quickly got busy and before I knew it I was at 40 hrs a week. Its alot of hard physical work but I enjoyed helping the customers and working with other store employees. My supervisor was THE BEST!!! and I got paid mileage and drive time!

What is the best part of working at The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company?The best part about working at Scott's Bergen left. We had two amazing plant and production managers who would take time to listen and understand their employees suggestions, lives and did the best they could to being us together as a team. They had been replaced by a megalomanic with poor communication sand leadership skills who manipulates and belittles his employees. I used to stress to temps and new hires how good the benefits were from corporate and how the culture around the plant was one accepting of mistakes as long as you showed that you tried. Now I tell them to run away. Scott's Bergen used to be a great place to work and I used to love coming in everyday. When new management took over I encouraged everyone to run away. Before I left HR had an entire 2 hour meetings with all the staff. Everyone laid their discontent on the new manager hire. Other Scott's plants might be better, but for Scott's Bergen location, run as far away as you can. do not work here. What is the most stressful part about working at Scotts Miracle Grow Company?The hours can be long and it can be hard labor. You may be asked to put in mandatory overtime and Saturday work. The old management understood this and did their best to accommodate and were clearly grateful. New management sees you only as a lesser being and himself as a god.

What is the best part of working at The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company?People are friendly and middle management is helpful and supportive.What is the most stressful part about working at Scotts Miracle Grow Company?There is a “busy season” from winter until summer. During that time nothing else matters except getting product out the door.What is the work environment and culture like at Scotts Miracle Grow Company?During the “busy season” (January to june typically) there is tremendous pressure to get product out the door at almost any cost.During the slower part of the year most employees spend their time doing mundane tasks just to fill the day.Upper management doesn’t allow room in the budget for desperately needed equipment for months or even years sometimes.What is a typical day like for you at The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company?Observing machines while they run and ensure there are no problems, Performing repairs on machine parts.

Independent merchandising

Being paid to workout, lots of lifting climbing ladders, moving 40lb bags of fertilizer and working in the heat or extreme cold outside in garden areas.

Pros

working independently

Cons

no advancement

Nope

Very poor leadership, you will be extremely disappointed. Benefits were great but there is an extreme disconnect between the staff and leadership, not good

No advancement potential

These are seasonal positions with no opportunity for advancement.The end date for the role is uncertain and is dependent upon sales volume of retailer.The work is very physical and dirty, and there is always too much to do and not enough time.The upside is there is no micro management and the shifts start and early.

Pros

No micromanagement

Cons

Uncertain seasonal work end date

decent

carrying heavy stuff. chemicals spill and are not fun to touch. cool people. Fairly flexible. can be physically demanding. manager was nice. no overtime.

Poor management no breaks and no lunch period. Unbelievable how they can get away with this.

Very stressful and dangerous. No breaks and continuous work. No lunch breaks like most jobs just continuous work. The more they pay the less hours you get so do not figure on making much money. Always pressuring you to work faster which makes the job that much more dangerous!

Common questions about Scotts Miracle-Gro

Answered by current and former employees at Scotts Miracle-Gro

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Scotts Miracle-Gro. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight