ScribeAmerica Employee Reviews

Medical scribe
Medical Scribe (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 23, 2019
I've worked here for a year as a medical scribe. ScribeAmerica has almost no benefits and the pay is terrible. We are valued members of hospitals and we should get paid more.
I Like it but pay is no good
record physician interpretation (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 22, 2019
i like working for scriberamerica because you get to see what its like for doctors in the hospital or private setting i do not like that the pain is really low and that they expect so much out of you for such a small pay
Pros
good for premeds
Cons
pay
It was a good experience for the medical field.
Emergency Room Medical Scribe (Current Employee) –  Osceola County, FLApril 18, 2019
If you are trying to figure out what you want to do exactly in the medical field, this job is a great start. I worked in the ED and worked with physicians, PAs, and NPs. This job gave me insight on what field I wanted to go into. I loved the providers that I worked with (even on their worst days). This may be due to the location but I honestly enjoyed working with them despite the pay was only $10 an hour and the workload/stress makes it seem like it is not enough. Again, this job is a good starter job in the scribe world. It will seem hard in the beginning because it can be very stressful but you will get used to it and learn to love it once you get comfortable and speed up.
Pros
Exposure to medical field and connections for letters of rec
Cons
Low pay, stressful environment (sometimes).
Could be better
Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 16, 2019
I learned a lot working with this company. They gave me a stepping stone to a career that I will take with me for life. I am moving forward in life with that.
I would never work here again or hire ScribeAmerica!
Traveling Project Manager (Former Employee) –  NationalApril 16, 2019
ScribeAmerica uses its employees for corporate benefit. You will get manipulative emails about “good company culture and morale” and realize the new policy means you get paid less. Scribes are the foundation of and what the company is built on. They are hard working, intelligent, driven people who are trained vigorously to keep up with and write medical documentation and expected to be professional and focused sometimes for 12 hours straight with little break. And they are paid minimum wage, plus $2 after 90 days of the hire date. In much of America this is $10/hr. Scribes are overworked and underpaid. Not only that, but every hourly employee at ScribeAmerica is overworked and underpaid. This leads to high turnover rates and high employee dissatisfaction. The deeper you get into the company, the more it is revealed how big of a mess the company is and how immature the management is. I highly caution anyone seeking employment or anyone seeking to hire ScribeAmerica in search of scribes.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Poor management, immature management, treated poorly, low pay, overworked, bad culture
Great learning experience
Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXApril 16, 2019
Great place to work especially for someone who wants a career in medicine. I was able to gain a lot of knowledge in the medical field and was able to witness many different procedures. Would highly recommend!
Productive and a teaching environment
ER Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 15, 2019
In this position I was able to not only work alongside great providers who cared for patients, but they also cared for the scribes. I have learned a great deal of information about the medical field as well as clinical applications from my providers.
Pros
Learn information about the medical field
Cons
no lunch break
Great experience for med/PA school, but not a long-term job
Emergency Department Chief Scribe (Former Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLApril 10, 2019
Scribing is a great opportunity to become familiar with what providers do on a day-to-day basis. If you are not using this job as your primary source of income, take the job. The experience is unlike any other.
However, corporate is greedy, and will not pay more than $10/hr (in my area) for a regular scribe, no matter how many years you have worked for them. They used to have merit-based raises (which were a measly 2.0% annually), but they did away with them in the last year. Meaning there is absolutely no extra pay to drive you to keep working for them. They undervalue their employees and expect us to work crazy shifts without any differential offered. Getting any extra pay from them is like pulling teeth.
They feed on pre-med students' desire to get experience and count on us being so desperate for experience that we will accept lower pay, terrible hours, and greater responsibility than a local mall or fast food worker. As a reminder, as a scribe you are signing LEGAL DOCUMENTS that can be traced back to you for years to come.
Overall, great experience depending on what type of location you're sent to work at, but corporate will take advantage of you every step of the way.
Pros
Medical experience, connections with docs and PAs
Cons
No breaks in ER, long hours, overnight shifts with no differential, no raises
Pros and Cons
CTA II (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 28, 2019
Listen, this job is not for the faint of heart. It requires you to move with little direction. The training does not prepare you for the job you are required to do. You need to be an extremely fast learner as well as very proactive and organized. They tell you that you will be charting about 25% of the time with 75% of your day is patient care. This is untrue you will be charting for your nurse about 50% of the time and you have to work in your patient care throughout the day. The turnover is very high.

For me, the job is beneficial because they will hire you without experience (hence the abysmal pay). Unlike traditional PCTs or CNAs, you only have the patient load of your nurse (5). Additionally, you receive a lot of hospital experience and you can really network with the nurses and doctors. Most of the CTAs are students and they do work around your school schedule. You can see how that can be beneficial as you grow in your career. Also, because the turnover is so high there is a lot of room for growth and you can do it quickly.

The hardest parts of the job are the pay, 12hr shifts, 30min lunches, lack of communication with some of the management team, and sometimes the patients are not broken up in a way to even out the load if the charge nurse is not paying attention. For example, one person could have 4 total care patients and another could have 5 that are self care. I don't see why or how a seasoned CNA would want to work here unless they loved the hospital so much or they had no other option. I do enjoy the fact that I get to bring some joy and comfort to my
  more... patients and their families.  less
Pros
flexible schedule, good coworkers, great hospital experience
Cons
long shift and short breaks, poor training, low wages, little direction, heavy workload
Work is what you make it
Medical Scribe (Current Employee) –  Loma Linda, CAMarch 28, 2019
Working is relatively easy but mundane and redundant after a while. A good place to work to see if working in the setting is right for you. You can get exposed to all different kinds of medicine and see if it is where you want to work.
great for the experience, horrible pay
Scribe (Current Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLMarch 14, 2019
as a student this job is great for the experience but the pay is horrible for the amount of work done and the long hours. every hospital is different but the scribes are usually not given much respect in the different hospitals i have worked in.
Interesting job but not a career.
Medical Scribe (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 14, 2019
Working as a medical scribe is very interesting. You get to interact with so many different people as well as different medical providers. However, there is little to no room for advancement. The pay is minimum wage but there are small raises annually. There are no benefits.

You are given paid training and there's a pre-test as well as a post-test before you begin shadowing. Then you'll shadow for a week before you start scribing for yourself. It's a tough job, depending on the provider you work with. But it is very rewarding and interesting.

The hours are set - if your provider is in clinic, you are in clinic. So in theory you can take time off but there needs to be a scribe to cover for you if you do so. You need to request time off about 2 months in advance and you can't expect to have your request approved, ever.

It's a great job for people looking to get into the medical field, whether as a provider, an MA, or even reception. You're able to make connections which are invaluable.
Pros
Interesting job, good learning experience, good resume builder, paid training
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, poor pay, not a career path, rigid schedule
If you need exposure but don't care for pay
medical scribe (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTMarch 5, 2019
If you are privileged enough to have no real financial obligations, and your days are empty besides studying for a major entrance exam, this is for you. If making real money is a priority, and you're still in school, think a little harder about accepting this position. Danbury ED follows 9 hour schedules at CT minimum wage $10.10 an hour. Others who have been there for 1-2 years are making $11/hr (and these folks have their 4 yr degrees). Lunch breaks are not promised. Uniform is a polo and khakis. Payday is irregular -- kind of every 2 weeks but can be every 15-17 days (unpredictable). You have to remember to clock in and out after a shift. Onboarding between their vaccine requirements and training takes a month minimum.

The work itself is easy once you have a strong medical vocab. You type up an HPI, ROS, and Physical Exam findings and more info as it comes up. And the exposure to a doctor's medical decision making is invaluable. But the providers are not there to teach you or explain their decision making. Some are generous and do give you some time, but do not expect them to be a teacher/mentor during the shift. Do not expect them to learn your name. Do not expect to build relationships. Also hearing wealthy folks discuss some topics like politics and taxes and their lifestyle can be infuriating because you won't be part of the conversation. You will work with a different provider every shift so you will have to be at your site for 6+months before gaining a friendly talking relationship with some of them. Shifts are kind of lonely if the provider isn't social or is running
  more... around a lot. You definitely can't expect to build relationships with coworkers as its just you and the provider during the full shift. Coworkers will call out often despite providing their availability for the month and getting a schedule way in advance. Also management will just be your chief scribe who is likely around your age. Their boss doesn't interact much with scribes.

It's a great way to familiarize yourself with diagnoses, symptoms, treatment, vocabulary, and drugs. Especially if you have never been in a medical environment. But ask yourself how long you can stand/sit at a computer for 9 hour shifts at minimum wage with no socializing and no guarantee break? How permanent of a job do you need? Are you worth more than minimum wage with your skillset and your experience? Do you find this business practice predatory?
Pros
exposure to medicine, familiarize yourself with ED functions and organization, build vocabulary
Cons
pay sucks because i know they can afford more and the staff is worth more, raises go by 50 cents every couple of months, long shifts, no break, must work 2 holidays a year
interesting cases, not hands on enough for me
Scribe (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 4, 2019
I worked as a scribe trainee for a few months, with floor training only about a month; but I genuinely wasn't happy with how unprofessional the manager was. I was so excited to start this job, I am an aspiring trauma surgeon, and love seeing all the exciting things in the emergency room. I was mistreated from the very start, I was not on the original schedule at all, when I only had two days I requested off during the week due to schooling. I wouldn't hear back from my manager for days, when I did I was basically told to switch my schooling around; and I was not being assigned my home site to work, only a hospital that is an extra twenty minutes away from the home site hospital. I believe this mistreatment is due to my background of medical professional parents. I wanted more of a hands on job, but I would have stuck with this job, had I had an opportunity to be scheduled correctly.
Pros
interesting cases
Cons
poor management, scheduling problems, homesite request problems
Ideal for pre-med or pre-nursing.
Medical Scribe (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 3, 2019
Ideal for pre-med or pre-nursing. Very thorough on the job training. Flexible hours and willingness to work around your class chedule. Several different locations and fields available.
Clinic and dr were great, not ScribeAmerica
CHIEF SCRIBE (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORMarch 3, 2019
I loved my dr and clinic I worked while with ScribeAmerica. However ScribeAmerica was an over all disappointment. Our Dr's were not happy with our training, well the lack of training. The classroom training is not applicable to our on floor experience. With how much ScribeAmerica's fees are they under pay employees greatly.
Experience you can't get elsewhere
Chief Scribe (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 27, 2019
ScribeAmerica offers the unique opportunity to work among medical providers on a routine basis. Working in a clinic promotes an environment for learning, specifically about my interests because I plan to go to PA school. My typical day includes seeing patients with a provider and documenting the visit. I have learned an exponential amount about what goes into caring for and treating patients. The providers I work with are fun and enjoyable to be around. They are excellent teachers in what they do and are always willing to go in more depth when I ask questions.
Productive workplace
virtual medical scribe (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLFebruary 13, 2019
I am grateful for the opportunity to have been employed as a virtual medical scribe. The job offered a lot of flexibility with hours which in my early motherhood was ideal. The employer was very good. The office was very well designed for the type of work performed and the salary was very good.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no cons
Literally a pyramid scheme
Scribe/Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAFebruary 5, 2019
after the month or so of training , you go on the floor at whatever department you are hired for. Most the doctors I worked with did not actually want a scribe, and were extremely open about favoritism.
The entire job is just exploiting insurance providers for more money, and this entire field is probably going to end up in a lawsuit soon.
Pros
Great experience for medical professionals
Cons
High stres and long hours.
Great experience for anyone who wants to get experience in the medical field.
Medical Scribe (Current Employee) –  Durant, OKJanuary 30, 2019
I enjoy working for the company. I think the scribes are not compensated enough for their work. There are not enough hours at my current location. Otherwise I have no complaints.
Pros
Medical field experience
Cons
Insufficient pay and hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ScribeAmerica. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight