Seagate Technology
Happiness rating is 65 out of 100

Seagate Technology Employee Reviews

United States559 reviews

layofftechnologyssdstoragediskdiscdrivecafeteria

Good place to work. Get to work with advanced technology

Work is interesting, they keep you engaged. People are supportive. High expectations but in a good way. From what I hear compensation is competitive. They allow for flexiblity in work-life balance, as long as you get the work done. I you work with WW teams, night calls can be expected.

Pros

Exposure to broad areas in technology field. People are fun to work with

Cons

Depending on the role, there can be frequent interactions with WW Asia team outside normal work hours

Seagate as a COMPANY is great --- benefits, remote work, flextime, salary, and in general the COMPANY culture.

I just didn't fit into the legal DEPARTMENT, with attorneys. Not all, but many of them are simply pedantic, captious, unpleasable, micromanaging, cavillous, and faultfinding. It didn't work for me; it was extremely demoralizing. I've even worked successfully with auditors before, and this was worse.

Seagate Technology insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Sinking ship

Seagate has been slowly winding down it US hard drive operations for decades. What's left is a legacy r&d staff with not enough work to keep everyone busy.

Pros

Good first job out of college. Gained a lot of experience for my next role.

Cons

No room for advancement. Constant layoffs and site closures.

Very poor. The Management poiltics is the worst I have seen in my 13 years of Career

The senior leadership is full of inexperienced, zero people management skills and very insecured employees. The management team almost put me on need improvement just after I can back from maternity leave. Mind you just before going for maternity I got high rating with performance bonus. The direct manager knew nothing about the program Iam handling and put a road block on every task I performed. The leader who hired me made me a scape goat in his political issues. The employees who are there since long are old fashioned, yes man and so resistant to change. Nonsense company with nonsense ideas and nonsense leaders.

Great technology - Needs better management

People are great and the technology is interesting. You can and will learn a lot. The company is very inclusion oriented and has good policies for employees. There is almost no onboard training or defined expectations but high ownership from the start depending on your position. This can lead to overwork and difficulty prioritizing. Most groups also seem understaffed.

Pros

Interesting Technology, Great People, Good Policies, Competitive Compensation

Cons

Overworked, Lack of training

Fun but challenging

All in all. A better than average place to work. Most managers are fair and good to work for. Site related silos can be problematic. Higher end pay available.

Benefits are good. That's it.

Part of the problem is that you have people who have worked for this company for 10 plus years and this is the only company they've worked for. Depending on your department, trying to make suggestions on how to better things falls on deaf ears. The ones who have been here the longest get to decide what improvements are made and which aren't.

Benefits

Cons

Too many to list.

Overall acceptable but not the greatest

Overall acceptable but not the greatest. Different culture within the organization. If you are lucky, you end up with a team that is professional and easy to work with. Others, are the worse ever.

Very productive and fun environment and quiet

So far the company give me a lot of opportunity to learn how technology running , how the headstach work inside the cd rom drive. I learn a lot about followed the in time manner and worked inside the lab room yup had fully dressed from top to bottom . If I ever get selected one of the company that I like I think I will put all my effort to make it work and enjoy every moment I can . Thankyou

No holidays for temps.

This is more of an issue with the temp service other than Seagate as a company. I fail to comprehend as to why Manpower makes temps work on holidays. Why do we have to come in while the associates who are hired on get to stay home?

Bonus and pay raise once a year

Good money after being hired full time. Temps are not guaranteed job. Management is horrible and it’s hard to move up in the company. There is a lot of walking for 12 hours and sitting isn’t allowed.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Non stop walking for 12 hours

Supply chain intern

Overall good team. Late hours as team is global so you do have a lot of late meetings. Looking for young people as a lot of people are retiring in the near future.

Good Place to work, company culture is a bit defeatist

I enjoyed working here, I learned a lot and met a lot of great people. The pay was competitive and depending on the project demands, it CAN be a fairly low-key place to work. Unfortunately, some teams are very "old-school" and a lot of the management has worked here for 30+ years and are fairly set in their ways. There are a lot of strict 8 to 5 style managers that expect their teams to follow a rigid schedule, despite being explicitly NOT a part of company policy. They also have bizarrely high rates of cutting entire departments and then slowly rebuilding them for a few years, then rinse and repeat. Lots of layoffs and an industry that has been "about to be run over by SSD storage" (which everyone has been saying for about 25 years, by the way) leads to a very paranoid and cynical attitude in some of the employees, especially as they get in the 15-year window towards retirement, which really drags the culture down. They have "unlimited vacation" but what that really means is that you don't EARN any vacation, so you have to strongarm managers into letting you take time off. Rumor is they're keeping track of everyone's attendance anyway, so there effectively IS a vacation limit, you just don't know what that limit is, and it's completely at someone else's discretion. Would be a great policy if they actually meant it.

Pros

Good People, engaging projects, Used to be a pretty cool campus

Cons

Weirdly attached to the very outdated "be at your desk IN THE OFFICE 9-5" lifestyle, Very few opportunities for remote work

everithing was great

Very happy that I was a part of Seagate, great work enviroment,I m really missed work for them, they me feel important part of the company.They let me grow in Knowlagent.

Pros

no pros

Cons

no conts

Don’t know

When I worked there for several years I was hired as a temporary worker. Just before Xmas I would be laid off so they didn’t have to pay me overtime or pay me for a holiday. And that was the same for several years in a row. Then Seagate moved to San Jose and I was one of the few from the department I was working for, that went and continue to work as a temp. Most people I new did not want to commute over hwy 17 so they quit. Anyway, unfortunately my working experience at Seagate wasn’t very pleasant.

Pros

Don’t know. Never had experience to enjoy any.

Cons

Wasn’t very happy there but I needed to work

Great place if you don't mind living in fear of being laid off.

It was good while it lasted. Jumped ship before they outsourced IT. Saw the writing on the wall. They started making big cuts to IT. They finally sacked everyone in OKC.

Pros

professional, easy going environment

Cons

impending doom

Fun when trouble shooting issues. Team supervisors are techs and are little to no help.

Team supervisors are not trained as support agents and are no help with call escalation. The cafe on site has good food and the prices are not bad. You may get the chance to test new products that are not yet available for sale.

Pros

On site cafe. Clean working environment. Able to work from home sometimes.

Cons

Not having tech savy supervisors.

Challenging global work environment

The pay was competitive, however, you were often working 12 hour days when things got busy. Not an easy place to create a work-life balance. Management from the Far East would often set expectations that did not take into account local cultural differences.

Pros

Competitive pay

Cons

No work-life balance, culture issues

Nice employees, but management won't hesitate to throw someone under the bus.

Nice employees, but management won't hesitate to throw someone under the bus. It was my fault though - for respecting/trusting my manager. Some upper management runs via intimidation (I prefer teamwork and mutual respect).

Cons

Management by intimidation

Decent pay but working 12 hour can be stressful

If you don't mind working 12 hrs a day then it's an OK job to be at. 3 to 4 days off is nice. People are nice, and management could be better to understand that we need to sit after stand for 10 hrs a day.

Pros

3-4 days off. Three 30 min break

Cons

Standing for 10 hours. Short staff

Part of the 2018 layoffs

Loved working here but being laid off via email. Was horrible. Loved the environment and the coworkers. We got necessary training and were often backed by our managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Seagate Technology. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
2.6Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Seagate Technology with

• Seagate Technology
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?