Sears Home Services Employee Reviews

No collaboration, not a team, money over service
Refrigeration and Appliance Technician (Former Employee) –  NCDecember 20, 2018
No one knew when I was hired, no one knew which trainings I still needed to do, no one knew what benefits I had been hired with, 2 weeks down to 1 week. They kept asking me what is next in your orientation?? Manager left, no manager, step in manager, they left, new manager, they stayed, teammates bet on how long would last. Don't call it sales call it helping, huh? Recalls went from 5% to 400% in one week??? Manager doesn't know metrics, manager will tell you one thing then tell their boss something different, HR is not a safe place they work against you. People fired for being hurt on job, people commended for selling, wait didn't you just curse out a customer?? If you work here, do not speak to anyone, trust no one, do your best and move on
Pros
5 out of 10 customers do not curse you out
Cons
Retaliation, write-up for overtime, poor management
Dont take this job unless your a Masochist
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 20, 2018
Little to no training, Ridiculously long hours. People Yell and scream at you constantly because the scheduling takes 3+ weeks to get you to they're door. No advancement, no raises, want more pay, sell more warranties or overpriced cleaning products. Insane amounts of driving due to poor routing systems. Management will not help you, will not return calls, will not work with you at all. Have issues out of your control on a job, phone people constantly pass you from person to person, until the last step is call your manager. But the manager won't answer your call, wont return your call ever. Need to take a day off? be prepared to ask your manager well in advance, then remind them and have to ask if its approved time and time again. This company is seriously out of touch with reality, it is no wonder they are in Chapter 11. Management does not care about customer satisfaction at all, only about sales.
Cons
Angry Customers yelling, poor training, poor advancement, ridiculously poor management
Horrible place to work
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VAOctober 9, 2018
A franchise that doesn't care about their actual customers nor their employees.

As soon as you walk in, you are bombarded by angry customers. Not only that, the management team does not care nor will they take calls from angry customers that are demanding to speak to a manager. You are paid 2 weeks behind and only for COMPLETED appts/jobs. So if the technician decides to not do a job, you won't be paid for that appt. Also, it's $5 per completed appt. You have to make over 200 appts per payperiod to make $6 per appt. but to do that, it's almost impossible.

There is no open door policy so if you have an issue with a power hungry supervisor, you won't be heard. Their mentality is "if you don't like it, leave. There are 50 more people out there waiting for your spot". Turnover is high and you are constantly fighting for an appt/call.
Pros
Every once in a while, you get free lunches.
Cons
No sick leave, no vacation, no holiday pay. No insurance benefits either.
This is a sales job, fixing appliances is not important
Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington StateOctober 18, 2018
7 Years at Sears, 7 manager changes. Pressure was to sell their scam services plans, actually repairing customers' appliances is not needed. Metrics were mostly about sales.
Techs that were considered good techs were those that sold, through any means possible. Dishonesty was absolutely accepted, as long as it resulted in a sale. Techs who were known to lie in order to sell were also held up as examples of great techs.
You will be given a route that is 12 hours long and told you can do it in 8 because call duration is set to ~20 minutes and drive times are not reality. Many times you will be told you cannot work more than 10 hrs and you will have to handle rescheduling the customers you cannot get to. I did this nearly daily, was cursed at, threatened and berated by customers after the 3rd or 4th time a tech had been forced to reschedule them.
You will not get raises, you will pay most of healthcare costs. Raises are now bonuses for sales. You have to sell daily.
Pros
Work alone
Cons
Stress, no training, poor benefits, dying company
Not the best job
Air Duct Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJuly 29, 2018
Management being cool along with life on the road is really the only plus. The pay sucks in the Wallingford location. I was a full time employee and was only getting paid around $400-450 every TWO WEEKS. They run 3 room specials that is not worth the techs time, and the companies fleet vehicles are poorly maintained most likely due to cost. I know the posting stats $35,000 a year but I can assure you that you will touch nothing close to that, maybe in MASSACHUSETTS and other locations but not in CT. This job is a great job for someone who lives with parents, need hours toward HVAC, or lives with a roommate or significant other that can pull most of the weight bill wise. THEY DO NOT AND I REPEAT THEY DO NOT OFFER ANY BENEFITS.
Pros
On the road, cool management, & cool coworkers
Cons
No benefits, & low pay
this is not a good job
Appliance Technician, (Current Employee) –  Pikeville, KYJanuary 22, 2019
sears requires so much out for sales. when you make your sales they give u a percentage based on sales, but u have to a quota to make. if u do not make it u do not get paid, and if u do make it then they raise the quota its is so impossible to make when u are working in a rural area and nobody in this are has money nor jobs. with them going out business the pushing sales so they can put money in there pocket.
Pros
pay
Cons
sales an quota
Stay Away
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  New York StateJanuary 17, 2019
After over 40 years it was time to go. No raise in over 7 years. Routing is a joke 150 mile routes 10 hour days. Messages all day long did you SELL SELL SELL. If a member cancels a service plan they take back your commission. Up to 20 years ago it was a great place to work.
Pros
Van
Cons
Selling
Worst place that I have worked! I do not recommend!
Small Engine Technician (Former Employee) –  AlabamaDecember 2, 2018
(a typical day) 14+ hours (6:00 am-8:45 pm) a lot of driving in all conditions,dealing with incompetent management that wants you to be a sales person not a repair person! (I Learned) That Sears Home Services is a very desperate bankrupt company! (Management) At best management is Very,Very, Poorly run,They will Lie to you about every thing, and forget about telling you about important things, then feed you to the dogs! (work place culture) Nonexistent you are in a service truck for 14+ hours dealing with incompetent managers over the phone! (Hardest Part of The Job) Trying to work with junk tools,a computer that only works half the time, The hour you loose every day, your in-efficient service routing that is done from Chicago, Ill.They will get upset If you move the service van to mow your grass!(Enjoyable Part Of The Job) NO PART OF THIS JOB IS ENJOYABLE!
Pros
Cons
Management Poorly run, Long hours and lots of driving, Lies!
poor management
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GAMay 6, 2018
I wouldn't recommend working for this company, its real cutthroat. While the supervisor and the other customer service rep are really good friends they will turn off their lines and leave me to answer all the calls. The supervisor didn't train me that well, i had to learn as i go. I felt bad for the technicians, because they will break down in the middle of traveling and the manager will leave them high and dry and stranded. He use to fuss at the technicians, I use to get calls from people telling me that one of their technicians almost ran them off the road. They don't offer direct deposit and no benefits.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
unstable work atmosphere
Terribly Managed
Home Services Appliance Technician (Current Employee) –  East coast area, NCOctober 29, 2018
As a technician doing appliance repair you work minimum 12 hour days even though appointments are supposed to be 8-5. As soon as you log in your computer you can tell which customers you’ll have to call to reschedule later unless you want to work till at least past 8pm and which you’ll get a bad rating anyways for being late. You will constantly come behind other technicians fixing their mistakes cause they are terrible techs but won’t be let go because they are focused on selling and not repairing. Initial training is good but there is no career progression, no continued learning or additional specialized training unless you count annual required computer based training. There are no programs to dispose of trash or hazardous material. You have to sneak trash into other businesses dumpsters and find a way to haul hazmat material to the dump after hours since you’re never given time to do so. On top of overbooked appointments the managers or routing office does nothing about it. You are required to ship parts back but you are never given time to do so. I am constantly apologizing on behalf of the company for overbooked appts and doing damage control from other technicians who do terrible work. There are entire days where it’s nothing but recalls and you get an earful from customers. I notified my manager of these issues but nothing has ever changed and things are progressively getting worse. I have lost all confidence in my manager, the service business, and the company as a whole to make any positive changes. The pay isn’t worth the stress, it isn’t even high as it should be  more... compared to other companies. They do not care about repairs, only sales. Sales, sales, sales.
Also you can’t even begin to receive any benefits until 12 months of service.
Pros
Steady hours, decent initial training, van & tools provided
Cons
Long hours, poor management, no hazwaste disposal program, no career progression.
I have worked here over 20 years, it’s has become very stressful, there is absolutely no Work life balance. The 401 retirement program ended
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Central WisconsinMarch 19, 2018
No cost of living raise or any raises at all. Just sell, sell , sell. Can never get ahold of my manager when I need him. Sends out emails with employees names on it for everyone to see about who isn’t selling stuff. Can never take more than 5 days vacation at a time.
Pros
Cons
Long work days, no raises for the past eight years. You can only take five days of vacation during prime time, which is all summer, thanksgiving an Christmas with New Year’s. It’s mandatory that you sell their home warranties, If I wanted to be a salesman I would go sell automobiles or something, at least I get paid for selling them.
Working on egg shells
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VAJune 15, 2018
Turnover rate is abundant. Office/Restrooms haven't been cleaned in forever. No standard operation procedures, no clear cut instructions, rules constantly changing, rude employees, favouritism and no real time off. Do not work here if you have any amount of sense.
Pros
A job if you have no where else to go
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, no real training, no family life
Terrible place, terrible People
Garage Door Installer (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 22, 2019
Very Racist, prejudice, rude, condescending, low paying. Overall disregard for me as a human being. Long hours, 6 days a week. You have to Sell,Sell, SELL or your fired. No days off. No vacations.
Some days no lunch break.
Pros
Non
competitive
Technician (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOJanuary 10, 2019
A regular day on the job consists of clocking in at home, driving work van to customers houses and diag and fixing appliances, Have learn trouble shoot many different appliances in customers homes, dealing with customers needs whether it be good or bad. Some of the techs are helpful to others but sometimes have too tight or long route and they dont help, depends on the situation. Have been sent on many calls where customer has been displeased with the service they have recieved in past and take care of customer best possible way within company guidelines. Hardest part of job is lots of driving, you get use to it, technology is still not a perfect science getting you to some locations. The really enjoyable part of the job is the happy customer when their unit is repaired within a timely manner, and all is complete
Pros
Mostly day job, work 1 saturday a month
Cons
Sometimes poor communication with techs for management
Excellant work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJune 20, 2018
Sears was a excellant place to work--good benefits-good pay--good training program-nice co-workers --good supervisors--good work hours--meeting new customers and helping them
Pros
Excellant work place
Terrible management No organization
Appointment Setter/ (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLOctober 1, 2018
THEY DO NOT PAY $14 AN HOUR THATS A LIE. THEY only pay $10 and hour and you get bonuses as low as $25 or if you are a top agent over $200. The work itself is very easy but Say NO SALES which is a lie, you will be selling every single day and if you don't make enough sales you'll get written up. Missed several days of pay throughout the year which takes months on end to actually get paid out.
Management is very unorangized and some Managers let the power get to their heads and treat the employees bad
Telelmarking, not apt setting.
The quality of work is poor because they are stealing customers information.
There's not enough work to last throughout the day, so there's a lot of downtime and they make you go home to the point you lose a lot of money on your check.
Pros
Easy work. Not a lot of work. A lot of down time
Cons
Lie to get people hired. Rude manangers. Forget/mispay.
not my favorite organiztion to work for
Appliance Technician (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, TXFebruary 8, 2018
had 4 bosses in a 7 month period of course the only good one got fired. Also in 7 yrs only had a total of .35 cent raise. lost a weeks vacation. Way over worked u for awhile then no work at times. Then people I worked with were for the most part enjoyable but didn't get to see other techs often in the areas I worked in. It was steadily getting worse when I quit and went back to school. HAS to be better places to work out there.
Pros
Other employees, company truck and gas card
Cons
soooo many
A day at Sears in Bridgeview
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bridgeview, ILAugust 1, 2018
The people was enjoyable to work with. The hardest part of the job when we had the surprised visits from corporate office. The workplace culture waas great. We always had a mixture of peoples.
The management staff was excellent. A great grop of people to work with. I learned alot at Sears and is still learning daily. I was not good on the computer but I was trained to do so many different little thing which enchanced my skills in the office. I typical day at work was to come in and worked hard in the begining of the morning and relaxed in the latter part of the day, Sears is truly an excellent place to work WE ARE FAMILY!!!!!
Promotional opportunity but poor work-life balance
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2018
I worked for the company for 14 years and advanced from consultative sales rep to the unit operations mgr. I appreciated equal opportunity, great training program, recognition of the job well done, and benefits such as health coverage. The main issue I found is disproportion between the work load and compensation.
Pros
See above
Cons
See above
Do not care about the Sales Reps.
Does Not Matter (Former Employee) –  SomwhereJune 23, 2018
The sales reps are treated like cattle. Management pretends to care but don't. Attrition is 400%. If you work hard and succeed you still get stepped on by corporate. Sales reps are run all day long 700 to 800 miles a week. They finally make a sale and commissions are deducted. You never get all your commission. If something is missed you will be deducted full retail. You cannot challenge the miss and your commission is not protected. Sears always gets there money.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears Home Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight