Sears Home Services Employee Reviews

Great people but company is not adapting to competition
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILApril 2, 2018
Great people but company is not effectively adapting to competition and losing market share to other appliance retailers like Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, etc.
It was good experience to have
Car maintenance place taking orders (Former Employee) –  Ala moana shopping center HonklMarch 27, 2018
My family was working there so I just wanted to have work there. We all get along and learned many things how to talk with customer, manners with people and working all kind of people from all over the island.
Pros
Large company at that time
Cons
It later closed
I was always able to pay my bills.
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLMarch 26, 2018
My day is usually fast paced. I have learned to multitask better using 2 monitors with up to 10 applications. I have had numerous managers but did not have issues with any of them.There are many people that do the same job but for different markets so the people you work with understand what you have to deal with. It is sometimes difficult to do your job when there are not enough people to handle the incoming call volume. I have worked till midnight for 12 years and learned early on that when I leave it is always a new day.
Pros
3 weeks vacation
Cons
too many distractions.
Not a bad place to work
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Washington, MDMarch 23, 2018
Not a bad place to work there's no advancement the benefits are great. I good company to start but, I wouldn't recommend staying there. Gain some knowledge and experience then try to move up if you can.
Horrible management, toxic environment
Workforce Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLMarch 21, 2018
Sears started out okay with all the advancement they promised. Pay is some of the lowest in the industry for each position they have. You have to be a huge brown noser to get anywhere despite harping about how they value performance. Rather than focus on merit and work ethic, they will erase points against attendance for friends and turn a blind eye to policy violations. They only care about making money and anything else is a cover to make them look better considering the company is going out of business. The turnover was exceeding 300% when I left.
Pros
Training programs
Cons
Management, favoritism, incompetence, lack communication
I have worked here over 20 years, it’s has become very stressful, there is absolutely no Work life balance. The 401 retirement program ended
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Central WisconsinMarch 19, 2018
No cost of living raise or any raises at all. Just sell, sell , sell. Can never get ahold of my manager when I need him. Sends out emails with employees names on it for everyone to see about who isn’t selling stuff. Can never take more than 5 days vacation at a time.
Pros
Cons
Long work days, no raises for the past eight years. You can only take five days of vacation during prime time, which is all summer, thanksgiving an Christmas with New Year’s. It’s mandatory that you sell their home warranties, If I wanted to be a salesman I would go sell automobiles or something, at least I get paid for selling them.
Job Interview Experience
None (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WaMarch 11, 2018
I've interviewed for this job 3 times within a 6 year span as well as my family members. They will not hire people of my ethnicity. I have a lot of experience but would never recommend people of my skin color to apply here because it is a waste of time.

I have a lot of experience within the customer service and sales field. I have made it to final interview 3 times and sure enough there is always some white that there to turn me down. Just like 75% of the job interviews in Spokane. Even with experience they don't care. The color of your skin matters out here. So sad. My family members that have interviewed there were all turned down by this place.
Non-office setting.
IN-HOME TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 7, 2018
Starting from home to run all service calls with company inventoried van made for fast-paced work-days. Flexible break and lunch times taken when wanted by the tech.
Pros
No office, Different route and cities to visit every day.
Cons
Often times too many calls for an 8 hour day especially when driving 200+ mile routes.
Great work Place
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 5, 2018
great work environment with a lost of opportunities to learn new skills as well as advancement, wonderful management team very supportive with great team building activities.
Pros
flexibility
Long Hours - Driving Nightmare
Home Improvement Consultant/Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 4, 2018
You cover from the Arizona border to the Ocean and from LA to Mexico... so the driving is a nightmare. Long hours. Not my first choice of places to call a career, unless you have the opportunity to get into management.
Pros
Nice People
Cons
Long Hours - Long Drives
Good job, not so.
Sales Marketer (Former Employee) –  Fort Detrick, MDMarch 1, 2018
My job was to stand next to a table inside a military store and provide customers a chance to schedule free estimates on potential home improvement projects. I learned customer service and product/home services. I had no supervisor and the manager only went on site 4 times to work with me. Most days, the majority of my interaction with my managers was through email, text or phone. The last week of December I was not paid properly, so management was replaced. Later on, new management starting cutting me and the other employees weeks and hours. This became financially frustrating for me and I had to resign.
Pros
Customer interaction and producing leads
Cons
Short or no hours and poor management.
The Managers
In Home Service Tech II (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXFebruary 23, 2018
The managers could care less about your family life they cared more about the bottom dollar run more calls sell more of our stuff. Even though there has been no raises in the last 8 years plus minimal compensation for selling product.
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLFebruary 22, 2018
great place to work. great culture and environment. Lots of contests and awards to motivate employees! They always put on fun events and even try to get employees engaged in the local community!
Good place to work, lack of direction
Manager (Current Employee) –  FLFebruary 19, 2018
I loved working here, but the direction the company has taken has left me questioning management's thought processes. I learned a lot about business strategy and how to take care of people. The people that work here are amazing.
Pros
My boss
Cons
Company strategy
stresfull
sears service tech (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 16, 2018
sears has a hard time with making sure that you get a 40 hour work week, some days i only got 4 to 5 hours of work in and could not get 40 hrs a week.
Very nice place to work
Sr. Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLFebruary 13, 2018
Sears is a laid back workplace..management is very nice. Pay is reasonable. They have employee recognition and anonymous feedback opportunities for workplace improvements..it's a very nice place to work.
Pros
Televisions on the floor
Cons
No cell phones on the floor
Outside Sales Project Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2018
Appointments were given to reps that have been there longer. Very hard to make money mney for new reps turn over very high no base salery no vacation
Long hours and low pay
Sears Home Technician (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAFebruary 9, 2018
This job is not about fixing the appliance, it is all about meeting sales expectations. Your district will be short staffed so expect to work long unpredictable hours. Don't get too excited about over time though, every minute past your scheduled 8 hours works against your metrics. Time works against your metrics as well as how many parts you use and how expensive the parts are (even if they are covered under warranty). You will have 6 - 7 scheduled repairs due before noon, each call about 20 - 30 min away from each other, so expect very angry customers chewing you out. You will be responsible for other technician's diagnosis, typically 50/50 chance it was correct. To summarize: You will be late to half your morning calls, have to deal with incorrect diagnosis, have a heavy workload working against your numbers. Luckily you can skew your numbers positively by selling a ton of "Extended Warranties", "Protection Agreements" and "Whole Home Solutions". Try selling these $500 warranties to customers who are angry that you arrived too late to their scheduled appointment or that the last guy ordered the wrong parts.
Pros
you can take the van home so you save milage on your personal vehicle
Cons
every other aspect about this job
A typical day at Sears...
CSR SUPERVISOR/TRAINER/QUALITY CONTROL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Lorton, VAFebruary 8, 2018
Walking in to the building was always a pleasure. The employees always made you feel welcome and even loved. The customers who decided to do business with Sears, held our company to a very high standard, which I can vouch, we always tried to uphold.
Pros
Weekly incentives
Cons
Harsh management
Lots to learn about being patient
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 6, 2018
Received calls right away from angry customers wanting their appliances fixed right then and there. Management was quick to help resolve the problem. Different age group of people always made it a quick day.
Pros
Managers were nice, early morning shift
Cons
short breaks, people yelling at you

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears Home Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.1

2.0Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight