Sears Hometown & Outlet Stores Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive and easy going place to work at
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILMay 24, 2018
Great for someone who wants beginner experience as a sales person. This position will greatly benefit any individual in their job and positions in the future.
Flexible and Team-oriented
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSMay 21, 2018
The overall atmosphere is very team-oriented and supportive of all team members. Overall atmosphere is generally relaxed and slow-paced, with intermittent bursts of increased customer relations and service.
Was a fun place to work at times.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, KYMay 20, 2018
On a typical day I opened the store making sure all registers were up and running, I learned a lot about sales and leasing they have training every month that you must complete, I was the assistant manager so there were days I had to calm down customers that were upset, The hardest part of my job was the day we had trucks come in because we only had two people in the store. The most enjoyable part of my job were the customers I loved my customers it was like family,
Pros
I was only 11 mins from work
Cons
no benefits, if you didn't take lunch still had 45 mins a day taken off
A great please to grow professionally
VP, AGC (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMay 16, 2018
This is a great company to really own your experience and learn a tremendous amount. This is great for self starters. It is not for those who are not OK with a trial-by-fire environment.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
Trial by fire isn't for everyone
It was a job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYMay 15, 2018
Receiving inventory or product, customer service. The management was terrific. Standard retail environment. Dress pants and collared shirts were mandatory.
Not the worst job
Merchandise Processor (Former Employee) –  United StatesMay 14, 2018
Management is a joke. I would say the hours are nice, but you never know when you are working and hours for the next week are not posted until the day before they are relevant. The work isn't bad, but you can't sustain yourself off the wages and benefits.
Pros
Would be a great place to work
Cons
But Management is awful
Hometown Sears is a Good Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vidalia, GAMay 10, 2018
As Sales associate I worked in sales and on commissions. I did well when I was given enough hours to work.

I enjoyed the people that I worked with.
Full time employee, difficult to earn money...
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  NCMay 10, 2018
It is difficult to keep a steady pay, especially in lower volume stores. It is also extremely difficult to maintain a positive vibe as you realize that an upcoming paycheck is likely going to average out less than 8$ an hour total when you expected more.

The main positive is how easy the job is, but the fact that your paycheck depends on so many things you cannot control (delivery team mess ups, appliance manufacturer issues, faulty products, customers changing minds) it is nearly impossible to feel secure in such a position.

Also, be wary if there is a higher-leveled employee on the same sales floor as you. While competitive, it should be expected that each salesperson should get equal rights as a salesperson, and not one person to get all the sale-rights, while the others have to beg for their help whenever trying to close a sale.

Simply put, SHO (Sears Hometown) is just difficult to work with, unless in a very high volume area. It is easy to lose motivation, especially being in a low volume area with a high volume store just 15 miles away. Be sure to ask plenty of questions if applying here, it is not a bad job, just not one that offers the best in terms of financial security.
Pros
1 hr lunch, usually fun coworkers
Cons
Low money to be made
Busy Store
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hilton Head Island, SCMay 9, 2018
Busy juggling and wearing many hats on one day. Many days are trying with customer complaints and sorting to the proper channels. Fun selling and speaking with the customers.
Productive Work Environment
Store Manger (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, NCMay 9, 2018
One you get a team memeber trained the flow of working together was great, and when you were short staff if was sometimes stressful to get through the day. We always came together in providing care to all customer. As long as I showed and explained to other what to do when we got busy then it went by smoothly.
Region New Store Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILMay 9, 2018
I traveled 14 States searching for entrepreneurs to own their own Sears store. Interaction with possible candidates was great. Company was good to work for. Communication was good between field and corporate.
Fast paced and you have to know a great deal about all the products
Owner (Former Employee) –  Corinth, MSMay 6, 2018
If you have the right team and work as a team it works great. We are able to assist our community and get them the products and services they need and if done correctly, they will come back to us when they have a need in the future.
A fairly laid back place to work, as long as you stay focused on work.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 4, 2018
Its a real simple and easy to do job, with downtime here and there. As long as you do your job right its a really comfortable work environment. All departments work well together but there just really isn't any room for advancement.
Pros
New products all the time, ocational downtime.
Cons
No room for advancement, short staffed
not the best working environment
Service support lead (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COApril 23, 2018
the work wasn't bad and employees were great to work with, but management was not very trustworthy. I was intentionally kept from doing my job properly. As shipping/receiving warehouse manager I was scheduled away from incoming freight shipments and not able to do my job properly
Pros
full time work
Cons
company policy and management at odds constantly
Misrepresentation of Positions and Poor Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILApril 13, 2018
They hire individuals under false representations of what the position will be and what will be required of the position. There are no training processes, yet you are expected to not make mistakes during the learning process. When mistakes are made, you are mocked in front of peers both orally and written by your managers. Most, but not all, of the Directors and DVPs do not even know or understand their own business.
na
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  McMinnville, ORApril 12, 2018
Customers can be angry. Appliances are very complex. I was the manager so I made a lot of important decisions. Family ran business was fun. Hardest part is idiots.
Pros
fun
Cons
boring
Ok company for growth if you are looking to advance your knowledge
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaApril 10, 2018
Not a bad company to work for, except all the uncertainty of its existence. And lack of quality inventory. Decent leadership and company culture. Can be stressful but as long as you are hard worker and dependable and focus on the details you can thrive.
Pros
Lots to do, makes the day go fast
Cons
Quality inventory
Nice place to work old management was wonderful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, ORApril 8, 2018
It's a nice place to work, friendly employees and the old management was amazing, the assistant manager was wonderful he took time to train all of his employees and help any customer that needed help.
Pros
Great Co workers
Cons
New management, long travel time
It is not a fun place to work at all
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAApril 4, 2018
Not a fun place to work. low pay for the job. Just good if you're looking for something temporary. Bad management in this particular location.They have to do something about their budget. Hours were cut in. Management does not care about anything that matters. They do a lot of favoritism.
Horrible except for Manager
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Malone, NY 12953March 25, 2018
There is very little to say good about SHOS. The chance to make bonus in a small town is little to none. It is a dead end job for most. The manager of my store was outstanding. She was the only saving grace for the place.
Pros
Manager, Interacting with most customers
Cons
just about everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears Hometown & Outlet Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight