Sears Employee Reviews

Found 22,652 reviews matching the search See all 26,556 reviews
It was ok I guess
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIJune 16, 2019
I didn't really enjoy my time there mostly because I was bored out of my mind. Barely anyone shops at Sears and there isn't much to do. I highly wish for jobs where people regularly shop and there are things to do.
It was a friendly environment .....
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAJune 16, 2019
It was a professional and clean place everyone got along the manger he made sure the employee was comfortable....the work schedule fit in with the employees everyone play there position ......and the manger always went around asking was everyone ok and do they have any questions.....
Pros
Friendly environment....
Cons
Start laying off employees ...
Sears was a customer service based retail store, enjoyable environment.
Sales, Mattress Consultant (Former Employee) –  Port Richey, FLJune 15, 2019
Your day at Sears can be going along smoothly and then before you know it, you have multiple customers, phone is ringing, and you hear your name over the intercom. I enjoyed these moments and found them challenging. While working at Sears I learned a great deal about not only the mattress and retail industry, but I learned a great deal about appliances which I had not expected. I also learned about signage and inventory in retail.
The best part of my day was of course, closing a sale. I filled the customers need, they left happy with their purchase and I felt a feeling of accomplishment. Hardest part was having to tell a manager I had a cancellation or return. It wasn't often, but I took it as a person opportunity to improve.
Pros
Worked part-time and the hours were flexible.
Cons
Retail holiday hours are long and late, but it's retail.
Executive Secretary
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 15, 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed working as secretary for (3) regional managers. They were all very nice to work for and I enjoyed being Winnie-The-Pooh for the Children's Store manager. This included being in a parade, and visiting children in the hospital. The costume however was very hot and stunk.
Great! Place to work
Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winter Park, FLJune 15, 2019
The only issue about Sears, is that they say that they are having a big hiring event. They say that they promote within. How!!!!!!, that can promote within. If they FIRED my team manager, and told her that there have to shorten down team manager's because, they were to many managers on the floor working!!? - Well, that is the best company to grow......humm!
Unequivocally, the worst job with the worst company
Sales Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 15, 2019
Training is sub-par. Looking back, my wife and I believe this may be intentional as the less you know, the better chance you will write up a job wrong, which increases the chances that they will take your commission. Yes, completely taking away your commissions on the back end is a very common practice. Yeah, it's a real coincidence how the error you made is the exact amount of the commission you were supposed to get...It happened to me and with other other reps. Ride along's were specifically mentioned in the training but never happened. Since you're new, they're kind of important. Just a little. I asked about it several times but I kept getting excuses as to why these could not happen. On a different occasion, I was flat out lied to that I would be in the car with a trainer all week. On yet another occasion, I also took the initiative to ask a top rep, who was all for me going out with him. The manager's nixed that idea as well. It's beyond comprehension that they would be so opposed to new reps wanting to go out with experienced reps to learn.

My appointments were beyond horrible. At least 9 out of every 10 were abandoned homes, customer cancellations (would not answer the door), or people had no money at all. I mean holes in the ceiling, floors messed up, and horrible living conditions. Even with no obvious credit, you were still expected to force these poor folks to agree to run their credit to boost your "gross sales," which is pointless because you don't get paid for a credit rejection. For no shows, you were expected to wait around at your own peril in these ghetto
  more... neighborhoods for 30 minutes to see if the appointment center could contact the customer again. I just can't stress enough how atrocious my leads actually were. Every single person who booked any appointment I had should have been fired for cause.

The facts are that this "job" has an extremely high turnover rate within one month. Like a great majority, I quit after a month. I talked to others who were the only ones left in training classes of 34-46 people after just a few months. I quickly found that unlike other situations in life, in this specific instance it isn't honorable to be the only 1 left. It's much more a direct reflection of the company. Making the personal choice to "stick it out" is much more a matter of how desperate and delusional you are. Like the other guy in my training class who has stuck around for more than a month. Just completely delusional driving around all day with no base salary, low mileage reimbursement, terrible appointments, and 124 dollar bi-weekly direct deposits. Pitiful.
Sears Holding Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJune 15, 2019
I enjoyed the experience I received working at the call center. It is a very fast paced environment. It is also a very stressful. You are "helping" customers who have bought large expensive appliances. These customers are usually very, very angry as their appliance has usually quit working and they have had multiple technicians out to repair them. You do not receive raises as they have put those on a unknown time frame, freeze. I enjoyed the other employees I worked with. During down times , between calls you are able to read, color, crochet, etc. The biggest issues are the constant policy changes. The low pay compared to the intense stress of extremely irate customers. Feeling increasingly useless as there is not a lot of help you can the customers.
It sucks.
Merchandising and Pricing Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 15, 2019
I didn’t work here long. Don’t waste your time applying. You barely get hours and you’ll be bored to death because it’s always slow. The pay rate is very low.
Good starting point
Computer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Longwood, FLJune 14, 2019
Organization was followed occasionally. Individuals were held responsible for issues that were not within their scope of practice. The volume and type of work allows you to learn quickly and stay somewhat busy.
dont work here
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CAJune 14, 2019
worked here for years and didn't get a raise or an opportunity for growth. dead end place hours are not consistent not for someone who needs stable income
great place to work
Operations Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 14, 2019
loved working there , great environment , they take care of employees, family and friends. they pay well have health benefits and great discounts. they make sure that you are comfortable. they send you to training and to ensure that you know your job
Not worth the money for gas to get to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TX 77505June 14, 2019
My hours kept getting cut from lack of business. No chance of advancement. There were employees there that have not had raised in years, yet were doing the job of two or three people.
Pros
close to my house
Cons
low pay, few hours, no advancement
fun workplace
SALESMAN (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJune 14, 2019
the one apple was an orange there was one to be if you could see for yourself then you wools know that there was no one faster than the lady herself if you could see.
Sales Clerk
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJune 14, 2019
It was a fresh out of school job, no real growth potential. A way to gain independence and sample the working world. I did not have a high expectation and no possibility of growing a career.
Photography is a great field to work in
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJune 13, 2019
Sears was a wonderful place to work and a great environment I enjoyed my job there the benifit the people everything in general was awesome and the managers
Work
Mattress Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barboursville, WVJune 13, 2019
Very friendly and enjoyable work environment everybody was extremely friendly the only downside is not enough work hours more available management was very friendly and understanding to needa
I enjoyed it, just not very flexible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 13, 2019
I worked in tools which I actually enjoyed they just weren't very flexible with the hours. Several times I got scheduled for days I explicitly told them I was in school and then had my hours cut for not showing up.
Long days
Appliance Technician (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 13, 2019
Starting abot 8am and ending at about 7pm which made it hard for a family life. I really would like to be able to enjoy time with the family but that was not the plan at Sears.
Sears
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIJune 13, 2019
A typical day consisted of a meeting discussing membership expectations and cashier work. I learned that it is important to listen mindfully to a customer's complaint before attempting to solve the issue. Workplace culture was amazing. The hardest part of the job was politely stepping up when someone was attempting to pull a fast one with returns. The most enjoyable was the work relationships and the sense of community there.
Working for Sears....
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 13, 2019
Working for Sears is greatly impacted by the poor public perception, and overall lack of success as an organization. Customers know, employees know, and management knows. There a plenty of folks working very hard to provide great service, unfortunately they are swimming against the current. As any google search of Sears will illustrate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

56K
47.1K
37.4K
23.2K
12.8K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Sears.

Powered by Comparably