Sears Culture reviews

12.6K
Found 3,790 reviews matching the search See all 24,617 reviews
Overall very good experience. Great atmosphere. Friendly Co-Workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CASeptember 17, 2018
I enjoyed working for this company, A typical work day for me consisted of my supervisor and I opening up the store and just doing little things around the store that were out of place from the day before such as backpacks, T-shirts, etc. After that the store would open , and my co-workers and I would go about our day, sometimes the work load was really slow. Other times it was a ton of people to the point where my co-workers and I had to call in our supervisor. I learned about teamwork and listening skills, The workplace culture was different from anything I was used to. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the different types of customers, Some were very rude while some were complete angels. The most enjoyable of the job was the overall atmosphere of the place. I felt welcomed to the team as soon as I first started
Pros
Free Lunches, Long breaks
Cons
Healthcare, leave of absence
Sales project consultant
Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 17, 2018
You can travel as much as 200 miles per day. Learned to feel comfortable traveling in unfamiliar areas. Management was rigid. Work place culture - 10, 7, 3. The hardest part of the job was traveling to an appt. 2 hrs. in one direction and finding out that you were given the wrong address, or its a vacant lot or what they have requested we don't even sell or do. Plus this job is 100% commission. The most enjoyable part of the job is when every thing goes right with the sale, the financing and your commission statement is correct. There is potential to earn a lot of money, but the Nashville market is very hard place to do it in. Therefore I was forced to resign.
Pros
Lots of potential to earn money.
Cons
100% commission and customers are not prequalified. Many days are a big waste of time.
Hot and slow paced
Production Worker/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 16, 2018
That place is so slow paced and its not a place i would recommend no one to work at no retirement no 401k no anything just not a good place to work at all
Pros
Cool breaks
Cons
Pay not good
Its ok to work here
Merchandise Processor (Current Employee) –  Tucker, GASeptember 15, 2018
A typical day is busy but gets slow at times. Learned a lot about appliances. management is okay. hardest part is keeping up with the paper work. Getting paid is most enjoyable part of the job.
Fairly easy job
Hardlines Lead (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 14, 2018
Job is easy it's just that some people are getting placed in positions they have no business being in. Typical day involves doing store processes before the store opens to ensure members are taken care of throughout the day. Best part of the job is helping people get what they want and working with good coworkers who become family.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Upper Management
Fitness Manager
Specialty Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WASeptember 13, 2018
Sears concept is to take care of the customer needs. I work with a team that was trained to give a 100 % every time the step foot on my sale floor. Our workplace culture was to follow all the policy & procedure that Sears expect from everybody that work for this company.
Pros
Comission paid Company
Cons
Management team do not work together.
Wasn't as bas as I thought it was.
Backroom Associate (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CASeptember 13, 2018
I worked here only for the season and left before the season was over. Although the learning curve was challenging, overall it was a fun job. I actually enjoyed the fast pace aspect of the work. There is no long term prospect here. Sears is on its way out. I am not surprised though. Their company culture is the same as all the other stores that have gone down. Nevertheless, it was fun while it lasted.
Pros
Fun but challenging job
Cons
Everything else
I'm glad to be employed
Consultative Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALSeptember 10, 2018
I'm happy I have a job. I enjoy meeting the customers and helping them find the products that meet their needs, I receive personal fulfillment when that happens.
Pros
Having a place to go to work.
Cons
Job insecurity
Fast-paced but adequate
Softlines Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 9, 2018
A typical day at work was long hours but well worth the job. Customer satisfaction was my number one priority. Helping others brings me a great deal of joy.
Pros
working as a family
Cons
stressful environment.
great company
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  DeLand, FLSeptember 7, 2018
great company to work for
staff was great
they treat there employees excellent
always being flexible if you needed it
training was always productive

Want to know more about Sears?

Ask a question
Positive work environment.
Electronics Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILSeptember 6, 2018
Management worked well with its staff setting goals and the tools to achieve them. Enjoy the work environment people working together to get the work done.
Pros
Team environment .
Cons
Variable days off
Opportunity as a Sales Consultant
Appliance Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 5, 2018
There's a lot of potential to make good money as a sales associate here especially with the bonuses that are offered every month if goals are hit. Workplace culture was kind of sad and management is given many tasks which makes them stressed out. Nonetheless I enjoyed working here and were very good with my schedule.
The hardest part about the job was learning about all the new Appliances and how they compare. We would have new product details almost every day.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WASeptember 4, 2018
All sales were conducted and finalized on a portable ipad, a highly competitive field to work in because there were no sections... All sales associates had free range. The most enjoyable part of the job is selling the right appliance for the right person who walked out happy.
very stressful
Seasonal Helper (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHSeptember 4, 2018
a typical day was okay
i learned how to be fast
management was poor
hardest part of the job was communicating
but seasonal christmas party was fun
Pros
lunch
Cons
cut throat environment
What I learned
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Massena, NYSeptember 4, 2018
I learned how to be part of a Customer Support team. I started at the bottom and worked my self up the chain to Sales Manager. I started off as a call center sales representative. I also now know the importance of supporting the people that i have under my supervision, I know that challenging employees to be improve sales and services with incentives helps the work place morale to be increased. Support my employees and they will want to support me as a boss. I loved my time at Sears
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
To many hours to be in management
Slow pace and easy
MCA/Cashier (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 3, 2018
the Good:

job was easy to do, straightforward, nothing exceptionally hard.
hours were flexible thanks to my manager.
very friendly coworkers.

the bad:
small opportunities of advancement.
any possibility of advancing was under paid.
upper management would set unrealistic expectations despite knowing the situation of the company.
Pros
discounts at store
Cons
noncompetitive salary.
Disjointed and overworked management
Consultative Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cerritos, CAAugust 31, 2018
Different upper divisions of the company seem to lack communication with each other, resulting in store level personnel being given conflicting instructions about how to handle/prioritize daily tasks. I enjoy working with customers, but declining foot traffic means I get to do my consultative job less and less. Work culture is stressed and fearful with so many locations closing down; store level management is under a lot of stress from rapidly changing expectations from executives, and the particular location I work at features managers more interested in gossip than assisting with urgent customer issues.
What you learned
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 30, 2018
I learned many different things at sears like talking to others using a register. I also learned how to fold clothe the proper way and to help costumers find what it is that they need.
Amazing job, I loved it. It closed down.
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 30, 2018
I loved working with Sears portrait studio, I loved taking pictures, posing, seeking beautiful pictures, reaching my goals and more. The props, background and fun stuff was always fun to make the pictures perfect. I loved it there, great people, happy, fun place to work.
Pros
Discounts on pictures
Cons
Short breaks (if any)
it was exciting
Merchandise Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2018
working at sears was a learning experience taught me how to fold greet the customer learn to do a set up on a clothing line casher get work with different culture
Pros
during the holidays they support us on all the meals
Cons
fun breaks was the best

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight