Sears Culture reviews

Found 3,920 reviews matching the search See all 25,622 reviews
Leadership is Critical
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 29, 2018
Management and Associate training is a critical component in the success of an organizations delivery of Customer Service as well as providing goods and services.

I appreciated the challenges that were presented to me upon hire to increase sales productivity by building high performance Sales Teams in Home Appliances, Mattress, and the Electronics department. By using performance base tools of recognition, reward and providing consistent feedback,I created a culture within the store of unity and will to win.

I exceeded expectations and in just 8 to 9 months I was promoted to Operations Manager of the largest volume Store in our District of 15 stores.
I enjoyed the job I had and management I worked for
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 29, 2018
Working for 50 years with Sears was enjoyable. Typical day was counting money and balancing registers. researched shortages and made bank deposit. I learned patience and diversity. Management I had was great, upper management not so. The hardest part of my job was having to deal with situations I could not control and having to e mail for help rather than talking to someone. Most enjoyable part of my job was co workers and satisfaction of helping not only customers but co workers and management and doing a good job.
Pros
flexibility of hours
Cons
poor upper management
Working for Sears
office (Former Employee) –  FLJanuary 8, 2019
I enjoyed working for Sears for all the years I was there. It was a fun place to work, met a lot of people there. My work day was typical of any other job. The management was fair, usually easy to talk to. They were an equal employer, always treated us fairly. The hardest part of my job was when things didn't go right, had a problem with one thing or another, but I would figure it out and go one. The most enjoyable part of my job was the friends that I made at Sears. I will miss working for them.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Interesting place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 14, 2018
A typical day at work involved meeting and greeting new customers, discovering their needs and recommending products and demonstrating products if necessary. I learned much about the products that i sold and how different customers have different needs. The work place culture was pleasant and very diverse. There was no hard part about the job and the most enjoyable part was every day provided new opportunities.
Pros
Constant training
Cons
Job security because the company was constantly closing locations.
Interesting place to work
Sales Associate - Hardware and Lawn Garden (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 13, 2018
- A typical day consists of watching over the sales floor and greeting customers as they walk by and helping out the cliental with any questions they have.
- The hardest part of the job is that it required you to by knowledgeable on all products and there functionality.
- Reaching company goals was crucial and when such goals were met the acknowledgement by superiors was always shown. Which was the most enjoyable part of the job.
nice place to work because of the team I built
Automotive Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 10, 2018
very fast pace phones ringing every minute, walk in trade and appointments kept all techs busy all day. I was able to refine my recruiting skills and management techniques over 12 years. The culture developed was one of superior customer service, honesty and a teamwork. Always helping each other.
The hardest part was to maintain moral even when we had a manager not qualified for the job. Or after a pay change. The most fun was the customer experience and interactions.
Pros
the team I built
Cons
pay changed bonus and commissions went up and down
great place to work
Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDDecember 7, 2018
typical day at work, morning meeting and get everyone up to speed with goals and numbers from the previous day.
do some coaching and observations

i learnt how to motivate different levels of employees, communication, delegation, and follow up

hardest part of my job is firing an employee because we created a environment of family

most enjoyable part of my job was promoting my employee to the next position and them seeing the fruits of their labor
Management and Work culture was actually very good, issues always come directly from corporate
CONSULTATIVE SALE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTDecember 10, 2018
Working at Sears was actually better than I thought it would be. The culture and workers are actually very easy to get along with. When problems arise, they ALWAYS do so because some idiot at corporate has no idea how to actually run a company (or does and they are killing the company on purpose).
Pros
Personable staff and management
Cons
Moronic corporate
My day on the job as Human Resources Manager
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLDecember 14, 2018
My typical day at work are enjoyable, I learned new things everyday. Everyone on management are great to work with. Sears have a great workplace culture that is fair at all times. The hardest part of the job to make sure all my associates are happy and have a great day at work. The most enjoyable day at work when I engaged with my associates and make them feel comfortable and take care of all their needs.
A day in the life of a shipping and receiving associate
Shipping and Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LADecember 4, 2018
A typical day began with clocking in and seeing who you would be paired with. Based upon the day of the week determined if one would have to pull out the rollers to unload the freight truck that day. The workplace was pleasant depending on who you encountered, most were cordial. The hardest part of the job was managing with low salaries. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that worked there and the competitiveness among staff.
Pros
discounts
Cons
low wages
Sears Contract Sales is a Major Appliance Company, I started there as a File Clerk, then six months later I moved up to as a C.O.D. Correspondent.
COD Correspondent (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GADecember 5, 2018
Overall review I loved working there great team work, great upper management I was employed I worked there for 5 years had to relocate Moved out of the state. I received my raises on time, great recognition. I would highly recommend.
Pros
great lunch breaks and understanding if needs to take time off from work
Cons
Great benefits
fast paced and always something to learn
AREA HUMAN RESOURCES MGR 3 yrs (Former Employee) –  Work from homeDecember 3, 2018
daily dealing with employee issues, questions, bringing people on board or off boarding. Hardest part of job was when I had to eliminate positions but I took all steps I could to set up programs, etc to help the impacted associates.the culture of the company was right on, they were doing what they needed to do to increase profitability. Management gave the room to run my business. The most enjoyable part of the job was going the extra mile if necessary to help someone get something taken care of and not letting it slip thru the cracks.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
downsizing took place a lot lately
We had a great Team that worked together
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYDecember 26, 2018
We started the day with a morning meeting. We learned how the store did the day before and what the goals were for the day.
The hardest part of the job was problems if Appliances were canceled or if the delivery had issues
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers find the right Appliance that was right for them and their families.
Pros
Food parties when we met our goals
Cons
Long hours on Black Friday
Sears
CASHIER AND SOFTLINES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 4, 2019
A typical day at Sears was running a register, folding clothes and putting away anything that goes back. Management for the most part okay. The only issue I had was with the credit cards. Every few minutes they would like to call to see if we had any credit apps, if not you was going to get an ear full. I loved my coworkers they were delight to work with but because of the credit cards it became so cut-throat I couldn't stand it.
A company that no longer knows how to run a retail operations
Appliance Sales - Consultative Sales Master (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILNovember 25, 2018
The company was bought out by a hedge fund looking to capitalize on its extentive real estate holdings with no regards to running a proper retail culture and direction. Management only listens to what they want to hear, and once they do something that's suggestions, years have gone by and competition has overtaken them and that is why they had to file for bankruptcy.
Pros
Commissions -
Cons
Goals for commissions unrealistic
The job was decent most of the time, and coworkers were great.
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakeport, CANovember 29, 2018
A typical day at work was just that: typical. There was rarely anything out of the ordinary for the most part, unless a machine broke down. It was as simple as come in, do your part, leave, and get paid every few weeks. Everyone was nice for the most part, but there were occasional people that were hired who were more interested in the paycheck than making friends with coworkers.
For most of career, an excellent place to work. Rapid decline after the merger.
District General Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILNovember 19, 2018
At one time a superb place to work. People focused, merchandise focused, innovative. After the merger with Kmart, the company rapidly declined in every way. It didn't get excessively bad until around 2010/2011 time frame. A lot of great people there at was once an amazing company.
Pros
Culture, innovation, fun (prior to merger)
Cons
Rapid decline of the above after merger
Educational
CONSULTATIVE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LANovember 5, 2018
Sears was my first retail job. I learned anumber of skills on my own and I thank them for the opportunity. Sears has long been a company that has served its customers well but a sales began to drop and vendors started leave, the culture of the company changed, Employees werw cheaed out of part of severance packages and now have to appeal to receive their pay. The way things were handled by management was not a good ending for the company. I did however learn some things that I can take with me so as I stated I am thankful for the oppurtuniy.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Pay
Mattress Shop Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Northport, NYDecember 13, 2018
The two Sears stores are work with are now closed. While the national company struggled during my time there, the local stores had great mattress departments. The managers were helpful, staff members had a strong team sense and generally the customers were enjoyable to work with.
Pros
Team oriented, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Corporate problems caused inventory issues
Great discount, but stressful work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 28, 2018
A typical day at work was busy for the most part. As a cashier, i worked in all departments, except for fine jewelry. In hardware, I learned how to repair a ratchet. Management was great. They did their jobs correctly. The culture of the workplace was do pleasant at times. There was always a lot of pressure about getting every customers email address and getting them to apply for credit cards. Things started getting bad for the company. The hardest part was being under pressure every day. Afraid of loosing my job because i could not pull the numbers they wanted. the most enjoyable part was the discount and the rewards combined.
Pros
discounts and rewards
Cons
too much pressure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

55.8K

2.9InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight