Sears Culture reviews

Found 3,817 reviews matching the search See all 25,131 reviews
Wonderful place to work
Softlines Associate (Current Employee) –  Dayton MallNovember 13, 2018
Management is top notch and they know they can count on me to perform tasks in a timely manner and to efficiently cash out customers in a timely manner. I also worked our jewelry counter when needed.
Pros
Management is top notch Culture is great.
Cons
I had planned on working here for years but store is closing
very slow paced
Large cash/check deposits expert (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CANovember 12, 2018
Clock in and do go backs for most of the day and help minimal amount of customers. Management was not helpful the only thing I enjoyed was the cool people.
Honestly a pretty fine working enviorment
Appointment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLNovember 10, 2018
Great people, great atmosphere, great management. Sears is a wonderfull place to make a little money on the side and they are always flexible to scheduling
Competitive Culture
STORE GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 8, 2018
Very results driven, hit or miss with support from DGMs, learned how to manage time to accomplish all tasks with minimal staff, most difficult part of the job was the unknowing of if your position/store will be there the next day.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Work/life balance
good
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Rego Park, NYNovember 7, 2018
went in signed in worked on my section interacted with customers and co workers. Had a good time talking to customers and co workers. I was able to learn about how people were.
competitive enviorment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, MDNovember 6, 2018
i love my job, i enjoy helping people, I have learned that costumers always come first, my satisfaction out of this job is making people happy by being able to help them with their needs
Pros
bonuses
Cons
hours
Does this company even exsist anymore
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 6, 2018
CEO/owner was literally tearing the company apart and selling it off piece by piece to maximize the profits he could make as opposed to saving a company that could have easily been saved and been turned into something competitive in the retail market going forward.
Pros
most emplyees were nice
Cons
company being gutted from inside out
Educational
CONSULTATIVE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LANovember 5, 2018
Sears was my first retail job. I learned anumber of skills on my own and I thank them for the opportunity. Sears has long been a company that has served its customers well but a sales began to drop and vendors started leave, the culture of the company changed, Employees werw cheaed out of part of severance packages and now have to appeal to receive their pay. The way things were handled by management was not a good ending for the company. I did however learn some things that I can take with me so as I stated I am thankful for the oppurtuniy.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Pay
Good company to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXNovember 4, 2018
Sears is been in business for many many years, Sears has a very friendly atmosphere to work with, friendly staff and good management to work with and fun place.
Fun work place
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 3, 2018
Energetic work place. Able to help train other associates as well as my own. Enjoy all Managers. Management friendly and easy to work with. All associates friendly.
Pros
Health care, Holiday Party. Team work.
Struggling company
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 1, 2018
Sears Holdings was a great company in the past- the impending bankruptcy and financial struggles made the culture very difficult during my tenure while closing stores and laying off employees.
The real competition was sales, a change of jobs within the location can prove beneficial
SALES ASSOCIATE, LOSS PREVENTION, MERCHANDISING (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CANovember 1, 2018
The managers of Sears were one of the most devoted I've ever encountered. Even if the company was going bankrupt, they still made strives to improve the work place by merging a few jobs that seemed natural. For the longest time, electronics and the appliance sales associates were two different jobs, but after three months of my stay in Sears, they had finally melded the two. As soon as I had moved to the shoe section, everything was a lot less competitive in terms of sales. I didn't have to meet a quote of protection plans or anything, but I did have to man a cash register and organize shoes that were misplaced. They provided a security jacket to me as a deterrent to stop any thefts which were quite common. Loss prevention even reached out to me after I've caught a few thefts. We were short staffed, but I was able to manage, sometimes I get to move appliances, and other times, I boast my knowledge of how expertly crafted a work boot was.

All in all, I enjoyed my time at Sears. They didn't really have anything under the table business practices, far from it really. The only stressful times I've had would be when Sears actually gets busy.
Pros
Magnificent managerial skills, excellent working environment.
Cons
Only ever stressful if and when it gets busy.
horrible
A/E Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 1, 2018
Management need to be more about the people
Salary could use a boost
workplace culture was low because talking of sears going out of business
No happiness in the employees
It's A Great Place To Work
Sales Associate/Retail (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VA 22407November 1, 2018
I Have Learned A Lot At Sears. They Have Great Training In The Department I Have Worked In. The Management Staff Is Wonderful. They Work With You On Schedules.
Was good while it lasted...
OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 31, 2018
Unfortunately Sears is going bankrupt, otherwise it was a great place for working, the environment was amazing, staff and coworkers were great and over all customer service was top notch.
Very easy going place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAOctober 29, 2018
The management team is amazing. Never thinks twice about working around your schedule or to see if there is anything you need. The workers are happy and always more than willing to help out.
we had a good work culture
Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHOctober 28, 2018
While working for sears I learned to work as part of a team while we off loaded trucks and processed them, In a typical day I may have to receive or ship merchandise while being available to stage or load a customer item, Management was ready to aid us with customer issues The culture was like family relaxed and ready to help each other. The hardest and enjoyable was giving our members a wow shopping experiance
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
pay
Great discount, but stressful work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 28, 2018
A typical day at work was busy for the most part. As a cashier, i worked in all departments, except for fine jewelry. In hardware, I learned how to repair a ratchet. Management was great. They did their jobs correctly. The culture of the workplace was do pleasant at times. There was always a lot of pressure about getting every customers email address and getting them to apply for credit cards. Things started getting bad for the company. The hardest part was being under pressure every day. Afraid of loosing my job because i could not pull the numbers they wanted. the most enjoyable part was the discount and the rewards combined.
Pros
discounts and rewards
Cons
too much pressure
Fun place
Cash Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Greenwood InOctober 26, 2018
Loved working there. Fun people and they worked around the hours I needed. Really going to miss it there. So sad for them to be closing after all these years.
Great company
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 25, 2018
Great place to work.
You do self motivated.
They have a great team.
Customer service is great
Answer phone and help customers.
I loved working here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

55.7K
46.8K
37K
23.1K
12.6K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Sears.

Powered by Comparably