Sears Employee Reviews

Good job with a variety of tasks and challenges
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlantic, IAApril 17, 2018
A fun place to work with a variety of tasks from sales to payroll, to store signing to customer service. Nice manager and employees.Commission and bonuses easily obtained.
Pros
Nice environment. Good bonusues.
Cons
No benefits
productive and fun
Tool Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIApril 17, 2018
as a tool sales associate my job was great i loved helping customers fine the right item the needed for them an the job. management was great on informing floor associates of changes and was always there to help you out
Pros
employee discount
Cons
benefits if your part time are lacking
worst place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAApril 17, 2018
do not work here plain and simply the management doesn't care about you whatsoever and they train very poorly. After being bad mouthed by this place after a recent job interview I just stopped showing up.
Great company to work for.
Protection Agreement Associate (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCApril 17, 2018
I enjoyed working for Sears they trained me well. Managers great. I enjoyed working with customers and researching for the. Customers. Then I would let them know if they could pick out a new appliances.
Pros
Helped get me on disability.
Cons
Non
Stressful Work Environment
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Kannapolis, NCApril 17, 2018
Most of the stress felt was because of the hectic nature of the work. Also, I didn't have any real training, so every element was new and had to be learned on the job. It left me never knowing what to expect. This plus the physical excursion left me tired and anxious.
poor management and little hours
Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXApril 17, 2018
working for sears was great at first until the store gm decided to start cutting hours and refusing to give people the days they requested off because e himself was denied his days off. hen anything went bad in the store or when corporate had bad news for him he would take it out on the other managers and employees. then in turn every body would be i a bad mood and the store stared receiving more and more bad reviews.
Relaxed yet competitive workplace environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKApril 17, 2018
Sears was a relaxed environment. But also competitive because it is a commission based job. I enjoyed my time at Sears. However, the pay was not enough to sustain my needs so I was forced to go elsewhere.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
not enough pay
Stressful
Appliance Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 17, 2018
Job security is a real issue with all the stores closing in retail. My store closed this year now having to find new employment. Quotas seemed to take a higher concern than the customers.
The workers can become like family, and you have time to communicate with them.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tarentum, PAApril 17, 2018
The day can be really slow at times, and at other times overwhelming with customer waiting in line usually not to pleasant by the time they get to you. They want you to make a sales quota by offering all the services and sometimes the customer doesn't want bothered with the upselling sales talk.
Pros
Family environment, some fun times, cookouts etc
Cons
Reduction in workforce, for various reasons leaves you shorthanded with customers uptight and unpleasant.
Not recommended
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAApril 17, 2018
Horrible Management. Understaffed. Just like any other retail stores but this place does not have any benefits for a part timer. Also, 1 person handles the entire department by his or herself and 1 person or 2 person closes the entire store. Not efficient.

Want to know more about Sears?

Ask a question
No training
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 16, 2018
As a tv repair tech you ride with a tech for 2 weeks then turned loose on your own. Never felt fully prepared so many different tvs. There were just enough rude customers to ruin your day. If u have thick skin it will come in handy. I do not
Pros
Nine
Cons
Lack of training. Rude customers
Decent job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAApril 16, 2018
Competitive environment with sub-standard pay. Opportunity for advancement within the company, but not a considerable amount of upward mobility. Wouldn't recommend.
Great place to learn and gain experience, hard to keep work life balance
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2018
Sears has been a great place to learn the ins and outs of retail in a large company environment. However, constant turnover of management with ever-changing direction makes for a hard work environment.
Pros
collaborative environment, great learning experience
Cons
tough work/ life balance, no 401k match, high health insurance rates with little options
Fun people to work with but very poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PAApril 16, 2018
My typical day at work consisted of mostly being alone, but getting lots of work done which I don't mind. The managers were extremely rude and disrespectful towards the employees. I loved most of the other employees I worked with. The hardest part of this job was being able to reach the credit application goal for the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work in the same cash wrap with other people and being able to conversate with your teammates, but also while getting work done. It made shifts go much faster.
Pros
Very flexible schedule
Cons
Not paid enough
No raises in many years for any employee.
Jewelry Department Lead/Manager (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 16, 2018
Overall not a bad place to work for a semi-retired person. Growth is general non-existent both career wise and monetarily. Lunch times and break times are limited to 1/2 hr and 15 minutes. 1/2 hour is to little time to rewind.
decent
Electronics and Appliance Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, IN 46805April 16, 2018
Box retail positions just like at any other store. If you perform well on their metrics for a long enough amount of time and brown nose the right people there is definitely plenty of room for advancement if desired.
Work enviroment was cut throat very uncomfortable.
CE Sales (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 16, 2018
Folks on the floor tried to make it seem like it was a great place to work but it wasn't. Just wasn't for me not what I wanted to do. I was working three jobs at the time so it needed to be good, not.
Pros
Can't think of any, thats why I am not there.
Cons
Cut throat sales floor.
Horrible first job experience
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 16, 2018
Sears could not care less about its employees. Credit cards are pushed on to customers and if a customer is having difficulty understanding that you are trying to sell them a credit card then it is encouraged to take advantage of that. This is the job I had while I was in high school at 16 and it gave me so much stress working there that I eventually had to quit. Also the management is awful, calling for assistance could take more than 15 minutes for a response and meanwhile you are left with an angry customer you cannot help. The return policy is garbage and if you work here you will have to be continuously yelled at for how awful it is.
Pros
I worked in the mall so I got discounts in the food court.
Cons
no employee discount, poor management, everything
Up to you
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXApril 16, 2018
As most people know, Sears isn’t doing well financially. Because of this, the stores can’t hire many people, so expect to work really long shifts at least 3 days a week. That can be a positive or a negative depending on how you look at it though. I started out at Sears during my senior year of high school as a cashier, and the company went through some serious changes during that time and changed a lot day to day things (got rid of several departments, fired some longtime employees, took away our employee discounts,etc.) By my last month there (I quit because I was moving for college) I ended up being one of the 5 others still working in my position. I typically worked 5 days a week, 8-10 hour shifts each day but that’s because I had been there a while. When you first start you can probably expect less. Management wasn’t terrible but, they just refused to hire more people and often made mistakes with the sheduling (like sheduling me on days that I requested off). They judge you based on the number of credit card applications you get, which can be hard since the benefits of getting one aren’t that great and not many customers shop at sears frequently, but it’s also a plus sometimes because the managers regularly threw parties to encourage/celebrate reaching our goal for the month.I personally wouldn’t work here if you’re looking for longterm just because the company is failing, so you never really know what other big changes they’ll make in the future. Like I said, sears isn’t doing that great financially, so on a typical day, business is pretty slow. It could get boring at  more... times, but it’s pretty decent pay to say that you’re not really doing much work  less
Pros
Not to busy, decent pay for easy work
Cons
Long shifts, small staff
I disliked the job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenosha County, WIApril 15, 2018
The job was unorganized and very laid back, but we got yelled at if we had nothing to do and wasnt doing anything. We would find out about new promotions and such day of, and generally was just a confusing place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

55.2K

2.9

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight