Sears Employee Reviews

No raises in many years for any employee.
Jewelry Department Lead/Manager (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLApril 16, 2018
Overall not a bad place to work for a semi-retired person. Growth is general non-existent both career wise and monetarily. Lunch times and break times are limited to 1/2 hr and 15 minutes. 1/2 hour is to little time to rewind.
decent
Electronics and Appliance Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, IN 46805April 16, 2018
Box retail positions just like at any other store. If you perform well on their metrics for a long enough amount of time and brown nose the right people there is definitely plenty of room for advancement if desired.
Work enviroment was cut throat very uncomfortable.
CE Sales (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 16, 2018
Folks on the floor tried to make it seem like it was a great place to work but it wasn't. Just wasn't for me not what I wanted to do. I was working three jobs at the time so it needed to be good, not.
Pros
Can't think of any, thats why I am not there.
Cons
Cut throat sales floor.
Horrible first job experience
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 16, 2018
Sears could not care less about its employees. Credit cards are pushed on to customers and if a customer is having difficulty understanding that you are trying to sell them a credit card then it is encouraged to take advantage of that. This is the job I had while I was in high school at 16 and it gave me so much stress working there that I eventually had to quit. Also the management is awful, calling for assistance could take more than 15 minutes for a response and meanwhile you are left with an angry customer you cannot help. The return policy is garbage and if you work here you will have to be continuously yelled at for how awful it is.
Pros
I worked in the mall so I got discounts in the food court.
Cons
no employee discount, poor management, everything
Up to you
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXApril 16, 2018
As most people know, Sears isn’t doing well financially. Because of this, the stores can’t hire many people, so expect to work really long shifts at least 3 days a week. That can be a positive or a negative depending on how you look at it though. I started out at Sears during my senior year of high school as a cashier, and the company went through some serious changes during that time and changed a lot day to day things (got rid of several departments, fired some longtime employees, took away our employee discounts,etc.) By my last month there (I quit because I was moving for college) I ended up being one of the 5 others still working in my position. I typically worked 5 days a week, 8-10 hour shifts each day but that’s because I had been there a while. When you first start you can probably expect less. Management wasn’t terrible but, they just refused to hire more people and often made mistakes with the sheduling (like sheduling me on days that I requested off). They judge you based on the number of credit card applications you get, which can be hard since the benefits of getting one aren’t that great and not many customers shop at sears frequently, but it’s also a plus sometimes because the managers regularly threw parties to encourage/celebrate reaching our goal for the month.I personally wouldn’t work here if you’re looking for longterm just because the company is failing, so you never really know what other big changes they’ll make in the future. Like I said, sears isn’t doing that great financially, so on a typical day, business is pretty slow. It could get boring at  more... times, but it’s pretty decent pay to say that you’re not really doing much work  less
Pros
Not to busy, decent pay for easy work
Cons
Long shifts, small staff
I disliked the job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenosha County, WIApril 15, 2018
The job was unorganized and very laid back, but we got yelled at if we had nothing to do and wasnt doing anything. We would find out about new promotions and such day of, and generally was just a confusing place to work
Work review
Merchandising and Pricing Associate (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaApril 15, 2018
Nice job to work. Pay is a little low. Cool environment not stressful or hard. I enjoyed working here. employees were nice however management was lacking.
Not consistant
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXApril 15, 2018
They make policies and they only stand by the ones they need to, they do not apply to everyone, they pick and choose who they want them to apply to. Raises are a joke and don't exist. It's a sad company to work for.
Overworked and disrespected
Seasonal Hardlines Associate (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJApril 15, 2018
There was no communication from management. Schedules were given last minute and time off was near impossible to get. Sears had no respect for my time as they expected me to NEVER make any other plans as if I was always on call. The pay is miserable if you don't make comission. I made minimum wage and I was told I'd make $10/hr at the interview. The computer system is outdated which makes finding your schedule more challenging.
Sears needs a big change.
Cashier Lead (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVApril 15, 2018
A typical day of work was always slow paced, yet my store manager would always find some weird projects to have the management do like rearranging a signing room or something, instead of doing our actual day to day responsibilities. All or most team leads or managers had to eat with the store manager otherwise you were talked about badly behind your back at their "work lunches", upper management (SM,ASM) were almost always too lazy to walk up front to where my cashiers and I were to address any customer issue they would demand over the phone I walk them all the way to the back right corner of the store where their offices were, whilst almost always leaving a line because we would only ever have myself and 1 other cashier on shift.
Pros
store discount
Cons
terrible management
An informal work place
CSR/One Call Resolution (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLApril 15, 2018
Sears Home Improvement an informal work place and is not an ideal place for professional persons. My typical is the average call center. I enjoyed learning how the home improvements and the TV broadcasting of the Fix Upper and other home improvements shows. The difficult part of the job had been to convert calls into appointments as customers were calling in for other reasons. The enjoyable part of the had been providing professional customer service.
It's not a pro-employee company
CASHIER/SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Bayamón, PRApril 14, 2018
The culture does not make employees feel confortable. The most important thing for the company it's to make their number goes up no matter the cost. They basically prepared a non healthy work area and they constantly manipulate employees with low hours if the crew don't make the daily goal.
Operations Manager who became a store manager.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHApril 14, 2018
While being an operations manager for Sears I was in accountable for the P&L , contractor bid meetings and overall facilities maintenance. I found it rewarding coming meeting my goals and leading my team to many achievements.
not the greatest
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHApril 14, 2018
to top a lot of this job off the vision they had for the employees changed drastically day to day week to week poor management with a low sense of the word teamwork with a convoluted idea of sales overshadowing the team aspect of the job
pay
Operations Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  NYApril 14, 2018
No raises. Ever. Managers don't get reviewed. Associates do but it does not matter.

I know people who have worked in the company for 8+ years and have never seen a raise.
Fun work place
Hardware Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJApril 14, 2018
Sears was one of first jobs, I learned a lot about tools and hardware. I also gained knowledge about retail and customer service. The supervisor was very informative.
Pros
Knowledgable enviroment
Cons
No full time
Good place for temporary work
Online Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 14, 2018
There is no room for advancement. They have employees that have been there for 15 years and not given the opportunity to advance. They let people go for simple things and do not consider that you're top performer and you're a great team player. Although they always want to give you duties outside of your responsibilities.
Pros
Incentives, raffles, luncheons, Vto, great coworkers
Cons
Overall review
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  McAlester, OKApril 14, 2018
Not a good place to work at all
Never enough help
High turn over due to low pay
No support from upper level management to help stores
Well just give into the customer and under mine the store with the problems with customers who do not get their way
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Low pay
Company out of buisness
District Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, IL 61938April 14, 2018
Good company, but went out of business. Hours were cut and it was hard to maintain sales goals. Staff was also cut greatly making it hard to take care of customers in a timely manner.
Company not in good shape
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDApril 14, 2018
No opportunity. Management is usually under qualified, and there is high turnover and frequent commission changes. See stock prices for current company stability.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sears. Our community is ready to answer.

55.2K

2.9

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight