Seasons Retirement Communities Employee Reviews

Awful place to work at all around
Server (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONApril 18, 2019
A typical day at work would start out finding that your coworkers called in sick and you have to serve the dining room by yourself, your manager is not present at work because he already "works too many hours". You go out and try your hardest to serve, clear, do the dishes and reset the entire dining room by yourself. While you are flipping for the next seating, you see management from other departments and the GM walk into the kitchen, sees you struggling, and continues to grab the food meant for the residents. Cooks don't make enough for the first seating and management, so by the time second seating comes around theres no food for them. And this is just lunch.
Long story short, always short staffed, even with all the lines filled, no set rules/boundaries, basically servers can weave around specific job duties because there is no management, servers are expected to manage each other, servers duties are overwhelming for any coherent person to handle, they let lots of things slide for someone but keep a close eye on certain people. Even above the kitchen manager, they are neglectful, stating the staffing problem is just a minor cause for concern, and when an issue about coworkers misbehaving was brought to the attention, he simply stated that he finds peer pressure works better then authoritarian pressure. They short your pay every time and you have to hassle them to correct it.
The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because I love the residents, every single one of them. It's not fair for them to become attached and then lose employees in nonsense ways.
Pros
Strong connections with residence
Cons
Literally everything else
April 22, 2019

Thank you for your review. We believe that employee feedback is key to our growth as an organization. We investigate the comments people leave here on Indeed in an attempt to correct the negative and celebrate the positive. In the case of your review, we looked at staffing, resident satisfaction around meals and food shortages, and any payroll issues: In the end, we were not able to substantiate any of your claims. I am sorry that Seasons was not the right fit for you, especially since you say you enjoyed working with our residents. We wish you all the best in the future.

Employee Services

Supportive environment to flourish in
Management (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONApril 11, 2019
I've built what I hope to be life long relationships with my peers in Stoney Creek, and staff at other locations that I've had the pleasure to meet. This is hard work, no doubt about it... But that's what makes it so rewarding. Hard work is noticed and appreciated by the company and the residents. If you're looking for a job where you can hide in the corner, this isn't for you. If you're looking for a challenge, or somewhere where you can legitimately make a difference in people's lives, you will find it here. I can honestly say, you will get out of it, what you are willing to put into it.
Pros
Great environment, fulfilling, fun and rewarding
April 22, 2019

Thank you for your 5 star rating and positive feedback! I am so glad to read that you feel your work is rewarding, and that it is appreciated by Seasons team members and residents alike. We thank you for your contributions to our company!

Very relaxed environment
Resident Guest Attendant (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONApril 11, 2019
The staff was always friendly and outgoing. The residents always happy to associate with each other and staff. Always something to do during the day for the residents
April 15, 2019

I am glad to read that you feel our staff is friendly and that our residents are happy. Thank you for your review and positive feedback!

Employee Services

Highly recommend to find another job
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Olds, ABApril 11, 2019
It is a good place to work, the management never care for the employees and is focusing mainly on cost cutting to build new business in Alberta, most shifts work short and they don't have enough staff to replace, you wont get sick leaves unless you provide doctors note. No benefits for part time employees and weekend premium is not existing anymore, and we have a union that supports our management very well. If there is shortage of staff in housekeeping or kitchen servers be ready to do their job too because you are working for Seasons. There is no reason you can deny to wash dishes or mop the floor and shovel the snow, because you are a care aide in Seasons. Looking forward you might get new tasks that is not in your practice. You will learn a lot once you start working here. Good luck.
Pros
Will think about it
Cons
Short staffed, no benefits to part time or temporary employee, have to do jobs not in your practice, no job security
April 15, 2019

Thank you for your review. I think you are misinformed about some things, so I'm glad to have the opportunity to provide clarity. Let me begin by saying, we do not want anyone to work short handed. If there are shift vacancies, I assure you we are working diligently to fill those lines - it is not a cost-cutting measure. Further, there have been no changes to your collective agreement so weekend premiums do still exist. Yes, we do require doctor's notes to support a medical absence. That is standard employment practice. If you have additional concerns, I encourage you to bring them up with your supervisor or General Manager. If you don't feel you can do that, please reach out to me at inquiries@seasonsretirement.com. Thank you.

Worst employers ever
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONApril 5, 2019
Start from the top. I worked 3 years. An finally left because I couldn't take the stress an drama.
Management will stab you in the back if you try an speak for change an if you try an do anything about the unfair work loads or speak the truth the managers will find a way of firing you. They will go as far as make up lies an cover their own butts when you go to labour board they will all work together with head office to make up lies so they can continue to take advantage of our seniors an the amount of money that each resident pays for a 6$ cost of meals per day is all there 6000+ a month rent is worth.
They say it's a retirement community but it's not there was residents with elzhiemers living with tattered sheets an blankets an food molding on their tables cause house keeping is not aloud to actually clean the apt for residents.
An there has been numerous cases of them ignoring the needs an wants of the residents who live there treating them like their employees an punishing them with a cold shoulder turning them away an saying it's the resident. there depressed. Yet no one put a plan in place to actually help the depression they just made them feel more isolated.
An when you call the authorities to try an stop or help the seniors managment has a scheme in place to blind side every possible means of getting someone to fix the mess.
It's like when happy Gilmore puts his grandma in the home an he thought it was great, but reality is it is awful.
I have watched a women cry an hurt an when i called the nurse she said "oh shes is just being dramatic, she is fine" an that
  more... night she died.
I have watched an listened to the gm yell an scream at her management staff for not doing a good enough job keeping authorities an staff in line.
I have listened an watched many good people pass on.
It's been a year since I have left, an the only thing that still eats me up is that seasons is still getting away with all the wrongs they do.
The work loads that psw have an kitchen staff is not worth the minimum wages an when you ask them for help or more hands on deck they say " yous are all so good at what you do you can do it you dont need no extra help. Yet the residents suffer because the front line staff dont have time to really put the residents first it's all a big money grab.
It's a hold tank for our old an a gold mind for corporate.
Ps Jennifer I know your trying to make seasons look like they care but we all know what you do an when your contacted about the issues at hand yous work together an fire the person who speaks up.
You cant fire me I'm already gone.
An contacting you is a waste of time your just as corrupt as the management.
So save your breathe, maybe yous will finally suffer consequences for years of brutality.
Pros
Residents, staff
Cons
Managment, work loads, seasons
April 9, 2019

I am not sure where to begin to respond to your review. You've made a lot of claims that we have been unable to substantiate. For example, we do not have rates of $6000 per month at this location. We have not been contacted by the labour board, and there has been no cover-up. If you witnessed abuse or neglect as you imply, it was your duty to report it at the time. Seasons has a Whistleblower policy to protect its team members. If you would like to reach out to me now, you may do so at inquiries@seasonsretirement.com.

Clearly Seasons was not the right fit for you. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Employee Services

Poor workplace and bad pay
Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Amherstburg, ONMarch 18, 2019
If you are a PSW or Nurse, DO NOT WORK at Seasons, especially in Amherstburg. I have never worked for such poor management and corporate policies. Management (especially the Health and Wellness manager at this location) will expect far more than what is a reasonable workload. Any concerns that you voice related to your safety or job description will be met with complete indifference. Management creates a work place culture of unfairness, intimidation, and harassment. There is virtually no job security and any opportunities that open for promotion are given to external hires. The high turnover rate for care staff will speak for itself as you watch multiple PSW's and nurses be pushed to the breaking point, they will ultimately quit or be cruelly fired. A PSW makes just slightly higher than minimum wage, and nursing pay is one of the lowest in the industry. If you do find yourself brave enough to apply to care staff, you have been warned. You won't last long, management will make sure that you do not.
March 20, 2019

Thank you for your review. Respectfully, I must challenge a number of your claims. First and foremost, safety is something we take very seriously at Seasons. As far as our wages go, they are competitive in the Retirement Community sector and in their given market places.

As I have noted in past review responses, it is absolutely our goal to create supportive work environments where team members feel they have work-life balance and love coming to work every day. This is good for our business and good for our residents. At the end of the day, Seasons expects a lot from our team members because we believe our residents deserve the very best - we won't apologize for that. I am sorry Seasons was not the right fit for you.

I wish you all the best.

No work/life balance
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONMarch 11, 2019
Management expects you to be available at the drop of a hat and doesn't care about your health. I essentially lost my job because I suffer from anxiety.
March 12, 2019

To be clear, Seasons takes mental health issues very seriously. We support our team members when they require assistance and we always try to work towards reasonable outcomes.

Thank you for your review - I was sorry to read that you feel you had a negative experience. We wish you all the best.

Employee Services

Residents are great managment awful
HCA (Former Employee) –  High River, ABMarch 6, 2019
If you want to go home stressed out and worried about the residents, by all means work here. The management are underqualified and switch often (including HR, GM). They don't care about their staff and consider them easily replaced, residents needs are not being met. They foster an environment of mistrust and the in fighting between staff is completely out of hand. This fighting is being caused by pitting staff against each other.
Pros
residents amazing
Cons
Staff dont matter at all
March 7, 2019

We expect a lot from our team members because our residents deserve the best care and customer service. We aim to engage and retain long-term team members: We know this consistency is better for our residents and our business. However, if Seasons is not the right fit for someone, we support that person's decision to find their happiness elsewhere.

Your comment about pitting staff against one another is not in keeping with our goal for a supportive and inclusive work environment. Feedback from our team members helps us grow as an organization. If you would like to expand on that observation, I encourage you to email me at inquiries@seasonsretirement.com. If not, I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Employee Services

Poor wages for senior staff but lovely work environment
Full-Time CARES (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONFebruary 17, 2019
It is mixed with more cons than pros at this point. The company does not provide enough benefits to work here and the wage increases for staff are outrageously poor at our location. The attitude of staff is consistently challenged by the inability to hire quality workers at a less than competitive wage.
Pros
Amazing location and lovely residents
Cons
Poor pay for senior staff and not many job benefits
February 20, 2019

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. I'm sorry that you feel there are more cons than pros at the moment. I would encourage you to share your concerns with your supervisor. As for wages: While Seasons is competitive in the seniors housing sector, employee feedback is essential as it helps us grow as an organization.

Employee Services

Unstable work environment with uneducated management.
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  High River, ABJanuary 24, 2019
Unstable work environment with uneducated management.

You never knew if your management would be there the following day, because the turnover was constant. Management was uneducated in client care, and typically very unsupportive to the staff.
January 28, 2019

Our goal is to create a supportive work environment that benefits our service team members and ultimately, our residents. I assure you we have very defined qualifications and requirements for each position we hire, and that there are standards for job training that must be met. I'm sorry to read that you feel you had a negative experience. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Jessica,
Employee Services

Trenton management is a joke!
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Trenton OntarioJanuary 22, 2019
My niece worked there for a year and management and manager there is nothing shy of ignorant!Steer clear of this place.If you want to work for a poorly run favility and never have room for growth then perfect spot to be!This place is nothing shy of a mess.
Pros
The residents are amazing and very great to work for
Cons
The manger is ignorant and you are treated like a third class citizen!
January 24, 2019

I'm sorry your niece feels she had a negative experience at Seasons. We wish her all the best in her future endeavors.

Great environment
Activities Attendant (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONJanuary 21, 2019
Seasons is a great place to work. All of the staff and the residents are super friendly. I was only working here for about 2 weeks (part time work) before I had people coming up to me saying my name like they knew me when I had never even talked to them.
Pros
Friendly staff and residents
January 22, 2019

Thank you for your review! It makes all the difference when our team members feel positive about coming to work each day.

We're happy to have you as part of the Seasons team and appreciate your feedback.

Don't work or live here
Frontline staff (Current Employee) –  GTA, ONJanuary 3, 2019
They don't care about staff or residents.
People are forced to work long hours and preform difficult duties and are paid much below the standard for said duties.
Management constantly making us work extra shifts because of low staff and huge turnover
Pros
Nice residents
Cons
Asked to work extra shifts everyday
January 7, 2019

Thank you for your review. At Seasons, the well-being of our residents and team members is our greatest priority so it deeply concerns me to read your claim that we 'don't care'.

If you are feeling overworked, however, I can appreciate that you might feel this way right now. The truth is, we expect a lot from our team members because we believe our residents deserve the best care and service. Under normal circumstances, that should not come at the expense of work-life balance. I encourage you to speak with your direct supervisor or General Manager about your concerns.

If you don't feel you can do that, please email us at inquiries@seasonsretirement.com or access my contact information outlined in our Whistleblower policy. It is my sincere hope that we can resolve this concern for you so you can come to work refreshed and ready to make a difference in the lives of our residents.

Positive work environment
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Camrose, ABDecember 22, 2018
I worked for Alberta health services for 8 years before switching to Seasons. I took a pay cut. But I didn't notice much difference in pay as I worked lots . Always shifts available. Also within 2 months of working for Seasons I was recognized by Managment and employees earning my Efficency and cares badge. Makes u feel like the work u do is acknowledged and recognized. Unlike Alberta health services. You can also jump into other positions or areas of seasons team and grow as an employee more than Alberta health. Great place of employment.
Pros
Managment. Homes
Cons
Wage
January 3, 2019

Thanks for your review! I’m glad to read that you feel recognized and supported in your role at Seasons. I look forward to seeing your continued growth with us!

Love Coming To Work!!
Guest Attendant Memory Care (Current Employee) –  Amherstburg, ONDecember 22, 2018
First job I ever had that I enjoy coming to work. There is a great team atmosphere and the residents make work fun! I feel supported and valued and that makes the difference
Pros
Residents, co-workers, manager, free meals, fair schedule
January 3, 2019

It’s awesome to hear you love coming to work each day and that you genuinely feel supported by your coworkers.

Thank you for being a part of our team at Seasons.

Meaningful work / Great Team
Care Team (Current Employee) –  Camrose, ABDecember 20, 2018
The crew at Seasons Camrose is top notch. The staff care deeply for the people they are in service to and the management cares for the residents and staff. Overall the work is hard but its very meaningful.
Pros
meaningful work. great team, management that cares. a forward thinking group of people.
Cons
care services is personal
December 21, 2018

Thank you for your great feedback.

At Seasons, our vision is to Connect. Care. Change. When we take the time to genuinely connect with our residents and show them that we care, we can affect positive change in their lives – and the lives of our staff members. I'm happy to read our vision is a reality at Seasons Camrose.

Thank you for choosing to be a part of the Seasons team.

Employee Services

Poor management. Good staff.
Dietary Aid (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABDecember 18, 2018
Workplace environment is positive, but overall the business is not run efficiently and management is not trained in proper protocol. Staff is trained in an education setting but do not get a tour of the facility at hire date and do not receive adequate hands on instruction on how to deal with safety concerns. No WHMIS training, and no understanding of MSDS.
Pros
Friendly work environment, union.
Cons
Long hours, short staff, expect way too much.
December 19, 2018

I am glad to read you felt the work environment was positive and friendly! I appreciate your feedback on training and orientation. Listening to our staff is how we will grow and improve as an employer. We have a comprehensive program in place to ensure all new team members are prepared to work safely and efficiently. I am sorry if this was not your experience - we will investigate further.

Employee Services

Friendly and professional work place
Graphic Design Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONDecember 7, 2018
I've been with the company for over a year now and it's been great. Friendly co-workers and a great atmosphere to be in, first time I've been happy to get up early for work!
Pros
Work with some fantastic people
Cons
Early mornings
December 10, 2018

Thanks for your review. I’m so happy to read that you love coming into work each day. We’re glad to have you as part of the Seasons team!

Best,

Employee Services

A terrible employer that is only concerned with profits
Employee (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABDecember 6, 2018
Inexperienced Senior Management that only care about their bonuses run this company. They treat both employees and patients poorly.

If you can avoid it DONT WORK HERE
Pros
They make it sound like such a great place
Cons
Its not a great place
lots of promises but lots of dissapointments!
Front Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONNovember 27, 2018
cannot believe everything that transpires at this place. New leader has come in and has managed to actually make things worse. So mean, manipulative and not an effective addition to the "team" (if you can call it that). gossiping behind peoples backs is the new norm!! zero professionalism! Department managers are away all the time from work cause they are so stressed out. this then puts more stress on us front liners who have to pick up a ton of extra shifts to help cover and ensure the clients are receiving the services they should. Staff crying on a regular basis because they are overworked. and the Department managers? they never stay long- they see that the situation isn't improving, and quit. The turnover in this place is insane. have seen corporate staffers in eariler this year attempt to help and make this a better place to be but all that hard work is going in the garbage. we were so hopeful when a new person came in that this frstrating experience would stop but it has not. the people who live there love most of the staff but also dont see improvements. Heres hoping corporate staffers will come back in and assist with making this workplace better. so many of us front liners- and for that point even some of the managers try real hard and care for the seniors but I dont think the corporate staffers know what actually happens here.
December 3, 2018

Employee feedback is key to our growth as an organization. Thank you for leaving a review.

Your comments are concerning as they do not describe the supportive work environment we hope to foster at each of our retirement communities. Please consider reaching out to me at inquiries@seasonsretirement.com so I can better understand the situation. You can also reference the contact information in our Whistleblower Policy, if you would prefer to call or email me directly.

Employee Services

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Seasons Retirement Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9