Seattle Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Poor Diversity & Inclusion
Surgery Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 15, 2018
Could be a great place to work, but the culture of bullying and lack of inclusion and diversity makes this a nightmare for minorities. I would not recommend this place.
Pros
benefits, job security, decent pay
Cons
bullying culture, lack of diversity and inclusion
Fast-paced work environment
Family Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 20, 2018
Typically my days had the same structure of registering and checking in patients. This was a great learning experience in how to manage a stressful and fast-paced work environment. Also very rewarding to help families and children in need.
Seattle Children's Hospital
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 13, 2018
Great work environment. Many different possibilities to make a positive impact on healthcare. Would open up more job opportunities to recent medical graduates and not only physician assistants or nurses.
Great mission, great people, micromanager
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 9, 2018
I loved going to work for a company with a mission to help others. The employees and most of the managers I encountered were good with the best intentions to do their best every day. My department was very micromanaged. Commuting for those who live outside of the U-District was difficult and it would have been nice to have more flexible work options available.
great mission, poor staff appreciation
Patient Financial Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 23, 2018
The mission of Children's is a wonderful one, focused on community and overall improvement of pediatric health on a grand scale.

For employees who are non-medical there is very little opportunity for advancement. Leadership talks about avoiding burn out and work life balance while they themselves working constantly and are themselves burnout which trickles down.The work environment is high stress, high expectations and intense with very little to no staff appreciation.
Benefits
Cons
management
PAS Follow up Billing Cash Specialist-PB (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98105March 18, 2018
I think this Institution is a very good place to work. They do wonderful things for children and the community. The Doctors are very knowledgeable and they are always doing research and searching for new treatments.
A good place for patients but not for scientists
Research Scientist III (Current Employee) –  SeattleMarch 8, 2018
Seattle Children's Hospital cares patients, but the management in research institute is political for a scientist. They provide some trainings, but you are required to use your non-work time if you take these trainings.
Great work environment
RESPIRATORY THERAPIST II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 27, 2018
I have loved working at this hospital and will miss it when I go. The best part about my job is the kids and getting to know their different personalities. The children will steal your heart!
Nice place to work.
SECURITY ENTRANCE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 25, 2018
It's a great place to work,I just wish they paid more for this position. The management team is wonderful, they really support their staff. It can be very stressful at times...
Pros
Good benefits if you have kids.
Cons
Parking is terrible!!
High-Stress, Low Appreciation
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Inpatient Pharmacy, SeattleFebruary 21, 2018
A typical day at work in the inpatient pharmacy included Q2H batches (IV and PO), working in the satellite OR pharmacy and medication delivery. Day shift definitely had the greatest volume of medication demand, but the work to staff ratio for the remainder of the shifts (evening and night) were greater than on the day. The work was steady and demanding, on par with the needs of the hospital, however the need for extra staff was difficult for upper management in the pharmacy to decipher.
I was able to gain plenty of skills in this position including IV compounding, Chemo and high risk IV compounding. Knowledge in USP were also a plus.
Direct managers were usually great, but the farther up the line you got, the less likely anyone cared much for lower staff well being (seemingly of course). Upper management had a way of making staff feel unappreciated and overworked. The company prides itself on continuous improvement and Lean management; however many ideas were disregarded until a brown-noser suggested it. If you are a person who likes to question processes for clarification and understanding, it is many times frowned upon and you'll be labeled a trouble-maker with a bad attitude. There is a pa in ttern of hiring folks little to no experience (ok, as anyone can be trained) but equally little to no processes on determining that said person should pursue other work.
SCH prides itself on being "artful" (accountable, respect, teamwork), so many people base their attitude on this, unless you are operations in the hospital trying to work with clinical (ie pharmacy talking
  more... to a physician). I've definitely noticed that many of the providers and nurses spend their days with their noses turned up; very entitled.

The hardest part of the job, hands down, is seeing the sick kids. There is nothing that could prepare you and there is nothing that could ever make it easier.

I enjoyed working with great colleagues, the great benefits, but definitely came to a plateau is development and was felt extremely unappreciated.
Pros
Amazing medical benefits (free for kids), commuter benefits, was in an amazing small team thatwas like family.
Cons
Unappreciated, overworked, hard to justify need for more FTE

Want to know more about Seattle Children's Hospital?

Ask a question
nice plae to learn
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 20, 2018
I learned a lot in Seattle Children's. Its nice place to learn, however, there is no room for any kind of career advancement. Pay scale is very less.
Pros
nice place to learn
Cons
salary is very poor
Fulfilling and Fast Paced
NOC Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 12, 2018
A typical Day at work consisted of roaming the halls and collecting data where I could. The management was very helpful yet condescending as you would expect from hospital staff. The workplace was solely about helping the kids, that was the ultimate priority at the hospital. The hardest part of the job was removing emotions because some of the situations I was put in required me to be strong for others, however those situations were the most fulfilling.
Pros
Awesome work environment
Cons
Food was okay
Toxic it environmentlo
Sr VoIp eng (Former Employee) –  8th and stewartFebruary 9, 2018
A very toxic IT Telecom environment. Everything's done by two people and they delegated any project or responsibility to junior or peer staff. Being a senior eng I couldn't even get admin rights to the Cisco applications
Pros
Good pay
Cons
IT mansgement
Changed when PH Left
Manger (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 4, 2018
Good place to work but essentially changed when CEO left- @2012, SCH was very committed to CPI methodology- when PH left much of the work seemed to take a step back, dividing the managerial teams, it was a time of transition, but SCH is still a great place to work
Great place to work!
Pediatric Mental Health Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 1, 2018
I love working here! The management team allows for growth and my peers are amazing. It is a positive environment and would recommend anyone interested to join this organization!
unknown
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 30, 2018
the company is great my area needs lots of work and should find new management for all area's. Much improvement needs without willingness to to listen to the people that actually do the work.
Other departments are great and fantastic just not the one i work for
Excellent Work Environment
SharePoint Administrator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 30, 2018
I enjoyed every minute of my time there. The management was excellent. Driven toward improvement without being toxic and concerned with career development for employees.
was a great company to work for
Insurance Processing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 29, 2018
I think i like this job the best. Used my skills most here in this position. felt that i made a difference in peoples lives. Was able to work closely with doctors, nurse, schedulers, coordinators, patients and insurance companies to get results needed to fix accounts and go forth with surgeries.
Pros
patients
Cons
commute
CNA position
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 29, 2018
Management was difficult at times
Friendly coworkers
Adequately staffed
Usually had necessary equipment to do job
Rarely had to stay over
Frequent opportunities to pick up shifts
A great place to work
Hospital Marketing and Public Relations (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 29, 2018
It's easy to be enamored with the mission of helping children. Management is focused on providing the best pediatric care in the Pacific Northwest and their commitment is evident in the reputational ranking of the organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Seattle Children's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Seattle Children's Hospital Reviews by Location