Seattle Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

Productive and Rewarding Work Environment
Rehabilitation Aide/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 18, 2018
Enjoyed the communication and culture of the work place. Management was always available to check-in with you and work towards your professional goals.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Parking off campus
large org that moves slowly
Admin Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 16, 2018
The culture is very homogeneous, limited in culture and diversity. Very flexible place to work if you have children, benefits are comparable to other healthcare org in the area.
Pros
lack of growth opportunity
Cons
healthcare
productive place to work with
HIM Back-Scanning (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 6, 2018
I had gained so much experience while work there. co-workers are nice to work with. it's a typical day at work. you don't really get free lunch and you have to be punctual
Humbled each day...
Surgery Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 2, 2018
An amazing group of medical professionals to work with each and everyday...they share their calling with our families and staff in order to help make a better tomorrow for all us.
Pros
respect, insight and perspective...
Cons
work-life balance with small children of your own can be challenging
You will experience growing pains
Building Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  DeattleJuly 1, 2018
This organization is large, and growing. At this point in time, they are redefining their goals, and determining where they want to be in 10 years. As a result, there are a host of corporate changes on going which result in the body of employment stretching in ways that may not be normal for some professionals. The growth is not currently scaled, or tempered with sage advise. This is the first employer where I felt that my input was not valued or needed, as the management had already determined the path forward. Another tough aspect of the job is that staff I encounter in my daily rounds is distant and not engaged. The workplace is silo based and communications are broken. While the attempt is made to create a workplace culture based on a diverse and talented pool, the pieces of the organization fit together like oil and water. I love the fact that I can find challenges every day and I am always able to develop a solution to issues which works out in the end.
Pros
commuter compensation, diverse workforce, benefits.
Cons
cold sterile inter office relationships, hard to make friends.
Learning Experience
Medical Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 22, 2018
It was a good learning experience as I was exposed to life of a medical social worker. This is a learning hospital so you have a chance to make mistakes and learn from other people.
enjoy working with the people
Patient Account Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 14, 2018
I loved my job and what I was doing. My typical day was stressful we had only two people in our department handling our work load. We one got sick the other had to handle hers and theirs, which was a lot if needed help it was there before the end of my shift other than that I enjoyed what I did there.
Great people
Administrative Assistant - Senior (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 30, 2018
Great people. Remarkable things happen here for the better. Families and patients treated with utmost respect. Pay not great, benefits not competitive with the area
Poor Diversity & Inclusion
Surgery Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 15, 2018
Could be a great place to work, but the culture of bullying and lack of inclusion and diversity makes this a nightmare for minorities. I would not recommend this place.
Pros
benefits, job security, decent pay
Cons
bullying culture, lack of diversity and inclusion
Summary of CNS work at SCH
Cllinical Nurse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Emergency DepartmentMay 14, 2018
SCH is a very caring place, and a great place to provide the best care while improving knowledge around quality improvement, implementation science, and teamwork and communication
Pros
Very kind and supportive staff who all want to provide the best care
Fast-paced work environment
Family Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 20, 2018
Typically my days had the same structure of registering and checking in patients. This was a great learning experience in how to manage a stressful and fast-paced work environment. Also very rewarding to help families and children in need.
Seattle Children's Hospital
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 13, 2018
Great work environment. Many different possibilities to make a positive impact on healthcare. Would open up more job opportunities to recent medical graduates and not only physician assistants or nurses.
Great mission, great people, micromanager
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 9, 2018
I loved going to work for a company with a mission to help others. The employees and most of the managers I encountered were good with the best intentions to do their best every day. My department was very micromanaged. Commuting for those who live outside of the U-District was difficult and it would have been nice to have more flexible work options available.
great mission, poor staff appreciation
Patient Financial Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 23, 2018
The mission of Children's is a wonderful one, focused on community and overall improvement of pediatric health on a grand scale.

For employees who are non-medical there is very little opportunity for advancement. Leadership talks about avoiding burn out and work life balance while they themselves working constantly and are themselves burnout which trickles down.The work environment is high stress, high expectations and intense with very little to no staff appreciation.
Benefits
Cons
management
PAS Follow up Billing Cash Specialist-PB (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA 98105March 18, 2018
I think this Institution is a very good place to work. They do wonderful things for children and the community. The Doctors are very knowledgeable and they are always doing research and searching for new treatments.
A good place for patients but not for scientists
Research Scientist III (Current Employee) –  SeattleMarch 8, 2018
Seattle Children's Hospital cares patients, but the management in research institute is political for a scientist. They provide some trainings, but you are required to use your non-work time if you take these trainings.
Great work environment
RESPIRATORY THERAPIST II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 27, 2018
I have loved working at this hospital and will miss it when I go. The best part about my job is the kids and getting to know their different personalities. The children will steal your heart!
Nice place to work.
SECURITY ENTRANCE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 25, 2018
It's a great place to work,I just wish they paid more for this position. The management team is wonderful, they really support their staff. It can be very stressful at times...
Pros
Good benefits if you have kids.
Cons
Parking is terrible!!
High-Stress, Low Appreciation
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Inpatient Pharmacy, SeattleFebruary 21, 2018
A typical day at work in the inpatient pharmacy included Q2H batches (IV and PO), working in the satellite OR pharmacy and medication delivery. Day shift definitely had the greatest volume of medication demand, but the work to staff ratio for the remainder of the shifts (evening and night) were greater than on the day. The work was steady and demanding, on par with the needs of the hospital, however the need for extra staff was difficult for upper management in the pharmacy to decipher.
I was able to gain plenty of skills in this position including IV compounding, Chemo and high risk IV compounding. Knowledge in USP were also a plus.
Direct managers were usually great, but the farther up the line you got, the less likely anyone cared much for lower staff well being (seemingly of course). Upper management had a way of making staff feel unappreciated and overworked. The company prides itself on continuous improvement and Lean management; however many ideas were disregarded until a brown-noser suggested it. If you are a person who likes to question processes for clarification and understanding, it is many times frowned upon and you'll be labeled a trouble-maker with a bad attitude. There is a pa in ttern of hiring folks little to no experience (ok, as anyone can be trained) but equally little to no processes on determining that said person should pursue other work.
SCH prides itself on being "artful" (accountable, respect, teamwork), so many people base their attitude on this, unless you are operations in the hospital trying to work with clinical (ie pharmacy talking
  more... to a physician). I've definitely noticed that many of the providers and nurses spend their days with their noses turned up; very entitled.

The hardest part of the job, hands down, is seeing the sick kids. There is nothing that could prepare you and there is nothing that could ever make it easier.

I enjoyed working with great colleagues, the great benefits, but definitely came to a plateau is development and was felt extremely unappreciated.
Pros
Amazing medical benefits (free for kids), commuter benefits, was in an amazing small team thatwas like family.
Cons
Unappreciated, overworked, hard to justify need for more FTE
nice plae to learn
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 20, 2018
I learned a lot in Seattle Children's. Its nice place to learn, however, there is no room for any kind of career advancement. Pay scale is very less.
Pros
nice place to learn
Cons
salary is very poor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Seattle Children's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight