Seattle Housing Authority Employee Reviews

Property Manager (former)
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Queen Anne, WAJanuary 3, 2018
The Seattle Housing Authority has major issues with Senior Management. Executive level is completely out of touch with reality. Upper management are elites that don't contribute much of anything in regards to the mission of public housing. Unionized workers are expendable, although they do all of the hard work. If you're considering a unionized job, you are very likely to be absolutely miserable.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Absolutely miserable upper management scheme.
Under-funded and under-staffed.
Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 27, 2017
Only a good place to work for executive management. All other departments are understaffed and underfunded given the scope and scale of this organization's work. Prepare to be very stressed.
Pros
Free Orca Card, friendly coworkers
Cons
Under-funded, under-staffed, poorly managed, short breaks, constant union negotiations
Constant change
Certification Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 7, 2017
Seattle Housing Authority is an extremely large agency with union positions. I find that public housing agency has an extremely difficult time implementing program rules when staff are union backed.
Wish I would have stayed - Great Company!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 28, 2016
I highly recommend SHA. The pay and benefits are above average. You leave your work on your desk when you leave for home. Most everyone is friendly and over all a great place.
Pros
Pay Rate, Benefits, Professionalism Program Understanding
Worst job ever!
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 31, 2016
This establishment has a very high turnover for one position. This position is the newest employee. This position is expected to accomplish physically impossible (unless you are a gladiator) tasks while maintaining some resemblance of safety. You are treated like scum and feel like it while working. All other drivers do little to nothing because they are or have made "friends" with the management. If you are the new employee, you will be expected to do all the work.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Racism, Hazing, Unsafe equipment
Good for motivated workers, advancement possible, good pay and benefits.
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 17, 2016
If you can maintain the top 30 percent of performers this job is for you. If you like working with people and are able to adjust to ever changing requirements and policies this is the place. This is a non- profit leaning towards the corporate private sector in its management style. Hard working co-workers. Hardest part f the job for me is changing sites and saying goodbye to clients, best part is getting a whole new batch.
Pros
Adequate pay and good benefits.
Cons
No frils no perks no bonuses just hard work
Falls Way Short
Cotract Manger (Former Employee) –  Lower Queen AnneMarch 13, 2016
Majorly plays favorites with employees. Lots of deceitful people in management. Gives employees way more to do than they could possibly do. On the good side the regular people who work there are wonderful and you really are working to help those in our community who are dire need.
Pros
Great coworkers, who really care
Cons
Duplicitous Management
Serious problems with senior management
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 22, 2015
SHA is one of the leading housing authorities in the country. However, it is the employees who break their backs, trying to ensure that the residents of the community it serves receive the assistance they need. In this agency, it matters who you work for. You are only as successful as your manager. If you work for a good manager, you are fortunate. The senior management team is out of touch with the needs of their customers, the employees. There is a big division between management and the non-exempt employees who work there. It is a highly fear-based culture. Park your brain at the door when you go to work every morning. Opportunities for advancement are not common. Seniority is not valued. Increased wages? Not if you are non-exempt. Many managers are coasting until they retire. They don't care what legacy they leave. As long as they get what they need out of the work environment, they don't have a concern for those "beneath" them (and the people who work for them are treated as if they are "beneath" them). The results of employee surveys are ignored when concerns are expressed by the employees about management. Many, many good employees are leaving. They are tired of not being respected, valued, or treated with dignity. The politics at SHA are brutal. The morale is the lowest it has been in the agency for many, many years. I've never worked in such a toxic work environment in my entire career!
Pros
Working with some amazing colleagues
Cons
Management, management, management
A Very Professionally Sound Training Ground
Urban Planning Graduate Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 13, 2013
The experience of working on the Yesler Terrace Redevelopment as well as working directly with upper management provided wonderful learning opportunities and personal focus.
A great organization that aims to serve the low income community
Manager (Former Employee) –  SeattleJuly 31, 2013
The Seattle Housing Authority stays dedicated to its mission to serve the low income population of Seattle. The organization is going through a process of transition currently in lead management. The hardest things to deal with is the day to day emergencies. The work place is a fast paced environment. However difficult dealing with these emergencies may be; it is very rewarding work to be a part of.
Pros
The Benefits are excellent
Cons
Caseloads may be overloaded on employees
Great organization to work for!
Customer Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 10, 2013
Looking for a company to be invested in and retire from this is definitealy the place. Great pay, Great benefits, Great people.
Pros
Pay & Benefits
Cons
No real cons to working here
Learned a lot in the area of Human Resources, that was very rewarding to my career.
HR Generalist/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 5, 2013
I learned to operate and process data in many applications in the line of operations in the Human Resource (HR) Department, like HRIS systems and databases (PeopleSoft/JDE), NEOGOV/Insight (used to process employment applications).

Also learned how to participate on an interview panel in order to keep the rules and process fair for unrepresented & represented employees. Managed and assisted in planned meetings, gave Orientations (Onboarding) for all levels of employees. Used MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, Visio, Secure Perfect Badging System and Adobe Acrobat 9 to process various HR documents.

My more than ten years working with Seattle Housing Authority (SHA) was rewarding to me and I really appreciated the training and mentorship I received from my supervisor. I showed my appreciation by being the best and dependable employee I could be.
Pros
Good Benefits, Flexible work schedules, Great Retirement System and a Great Mission and Vision.
Cons
Although the work schedule for working in HR were not very flexible, the majority of employees at SHA were able to work flexible work schedules.
Social Services
Legal Asst./Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 4, 2013
My primary duty for the first 3 years at SHA was to evict tenants from public housing. I prepared the legal documents and presented those documents in court. The last year there I wrote a federal grant and then when it was funded, parsed that money out to local social service agencies to provide after school programs for children.
Pros
Challenging, fulfilling. Loved feeling that I was doing something good.
Cons
Some departments were disorganized, which made it difficult work.
good place to work
Housing Counselor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 4, 2013
The pay was exceptional. The work was manageable. The lay off was difficult
Pros
salary
Cons
laid off
Network Technician II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 4, 2012
There was always something new and something familiar to do here. Citrix, VMWare, Cisco. Seattle Housing Authority is a Microsoft Development shop due to all the requirements that is placed on SHA and the need to move to paperless. Many challenges and I hope they succeed
Pros
good compensation
Cons
they were only in seattle
Productive place to work.
Administrative Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 14, 2012
A great place to learn about subsidized housing and HUD regulations and guidelines, while serving a diverse population.
Pros
great pay and opportunity for advancement.
Cons
heavy case loads.
Very enjoyable place to work, a lot of productivity
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 19, 2012
Seattle Housing Authority is one of the leading Housing Authorities in the Nation. I loved the opportunity to work directly with clients, in public housing, worked with the disabled, senior populations. Loved my co-workers, managment was awesome they always made everyone be accountable for work style and decisions made regarding the smooth operation of each property that you were responsible for.The hardest part of my job was to see people and find people deceased in their units. I learned so much in my position as Certification Specialist at the Seattle Housing Authority, lots of training, good supervision and just a overall rewarding experience in helping those in need.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
short breaks, long commute from where i lived.
On call did ok
Resident Manager at Jefferson Terrace (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 5, 2012
Management OK No benefits Work at home and you never know what you going against
Pros
good job
Cons
on call never know what to expect