SeaWorld San Diego Employee Reviews

It was fun place to work.
Culinary Operations (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 28, 2019
I really like my work environment in Seaworld; however, I did not stay long because my schedule does not work with my work schedule. Overall, before applying to Seaworld, manage your schedule really good.
Its definitely an entry position
Park Operations Shows Ambassador (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 10, 2019
You meet a lot of great people, but the work environment can become mismanaged and you might become tired of the repetitiveness of the workplace.

It pays okay if you're a high school student.
Was fun at first but not anymore
Seasonal assistant supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 31, 2019
The company has changed a lot since I've been there and it hasn't been the same. Theres too many restrictions with the hours. The employees are fighting over 5 hour shifts.
Fun experience
Concierge (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 7, 2019
This is probably the ultimate summer job. Not only do you get to go in for free while you work here but you get to experience the park in different ways.
Exciting workplace
Guest Arrival/Ambassador (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 21, 2019
Weekends are very busy. If working in the front of seaworld as guest arrival can be the hardest thing to do. Scan tickets with a handheld and the handhelds mess up and there are a lot of people you have to write down every ticket number on a piece of paper and the lines can get long.
Could be better
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 6, 2019
SeaWorld is having a tough time these days. It’s trying to overcome an unfortunate PR situation but it’s doing its best. I firmly believe in the company and its goals. But what is keeping at least the San Diego park from being a better experience for its professional position employees is the lack of competitive pay compared to comparable positions elsewhere. If you get a full time job there, expect to have a second job to make ends meet. The perks, tickets and free lunches you get throughout the year DO NOT pay the bills at home. So many of us are struggling to make ends meet in these expensive cost-of-living times. Benchmarking is rarely done or the data is disregarded as equal to what the company pays even though other businesses pay more for even entry level positions. The company depends on hiring qualified, enthusiastic people for various positions. But so many good employees leave before too long because they just can’t make ends meet financially. So SeaWorld loses out on good, long term labor who will go the distance for the company. There seems to be no end in sight for this mentality. I don’t suggest working at SeaWorld unless you have a fair amount in savings already, can be ok with earning less than what you’re worth or taking on a worthwhile second job on a regular basis.
The stock price seems to be holding steady but no employee is benefitting from that. If you do a good job, you’re rewarded with more work. Not more pay. Think carefully before considering a job there purely for practical living wage reasons.
Pros
Flexible schedule based on the position, fun environment for the most part, you meet good people who become friends
Cons
Extremely low pay, disappearing staff due to layoffs, large workloads
culinary host
Culinary Host Leadership (Former Employee) –  500 Sea World Dr, San Diego, CA 92109February 4, 2019
some of the management is messy and mean.

The scheduling can be weird as well. The Company occasionally complains about people calling out, but they give people shifts on days they are unavailable to work.

if you're a part timer, you rarely get any work hours in the off season
Fun and rewarding job
Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2019
As an education instructor, you can teach millions of people of all ages from around the world. Instructors are involved in leadership and developmental roles assisting new staff as well as creating and designing new educational programs.
Coworkers
Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2019
Typical day included Scheduling
Reuniting lost children with families and responsible for safety of all park guests. Conduct area projects and accomplishments on a scheduled. Coach employees and track attendance timelines
Pros
Animals
Cons
Low pay
Great working environment.
Employee (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 16, 2019
Being that I started as a temporary employee, I would've thought that it'd take a while for everyone to get to know me, but everyone was super friendly and we all got along super well. I've learned a lot working here especially being more responsible and learning to deal with customers and practice customer satisfaction.
Nice place to work
Merchandise Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2019
This was a great experience to work at and I had fun.I twas long hard hours and hot days but it made me recognize that you need to work hard to achieve growth.
Hit or Miss
BEVERAGE HOST (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 28, 2018
While people that share the same authority with you are nice and helpful, some of the management is messy and mean.

The scheduling can be weird as well. Company occasionally complains about people calling out, but they give people shifts on days they are unavailable to work.

It's a mixed bag.
Not stable
Educator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92109December 14, 2018
-Work is varied
-management is not supportive
-no job growth
-may not have an annual pay raise
-benefits of working with animals
-the managers are promoted from within - without any knowledge --of HOW to manage people.
-Be prepared to work holidays and weekend
Pros
Lots of variety
Cons
mangement
You've got to work with the animals in order to make this job worth it!
Cocktail Server (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2018
Its on overall good company. they have an employee cafe but only get a provided meal if you are in culinary department, if not then your paying for your food... you learn a lot about the ocean and marine animals but let me just warn you that Seaworld has HORRIBLE management. If you dont get into the "click" then good luck advancing within the company. They promote based on friendship so most new managers have no real experience as a manager and it really effects the department and stresses out other team members. Overall though, if your going to work there for your love of animals, then your in the right place, otherwise, its a dead end job. In my department in 2018 alone i've seen about 40 managers (full time employees) get laid off. NO JOB SECURITY. Go for Part-time and have a second job.
Fun
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 27, 2018
This job was fun, meeting new people every day putting smiles on everyone’s faces, mangers where very nice and took the time to tell you what to do and how to do it.
Perfect If you Dont Want to Advance
Ride Operator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 23, 2018
As A Ride Operator, your day begins with you helping in the operating of one of the many rides we have for our guests. You're staffing your position for roughly 40 minutes to an hour at a time before you're relieved to go to a different position. Your day is planned out on a small daily schedule you receive when you start your shift. Ive learned how to manage my time and work effectively trying to get the guests on in a quick and safe manner. Of course their are some types of guests that bother you, trying to get their way, but i dont let them bother me. I've learned how to deal with people in a professional manner at this job. The culture is high schoolish and cliquey, everyone has their own sets of friends. Ive tried multiple times to advance and become a lead (a shift manager), but im not considered a favorite amongst my peers or management team as they promote all their friends. Overall its a great place to start or end your working career, but trying to become a manager, you might want to look elsewhere.
Pros
Discounts, easy money, chill days, surrounded by friends
Cons
Management plays favorites
Work At Seaworld
Guest Service Ambassador (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 1, 2018
I enjoy working at Sea World. I really do. All my co-workers are awesome to be around and easy to work with, same for my supervisors and managers. Everyone make it easy and enjoyable to work there.
Cons
Surveys
Culinary Hostess (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 27, 2018
Very fast paced environment, good employee benefits, sufficient pay depending on position, team members are very united and friendly, training above average very well done
productive and uplifting work enviroment
Host (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92109September 20, 2018
Working at Seaworld is an experience I wish everyone could experience. Walking into work was like a new adventure every day, the people there are always kind and helpful and the customers are always telling you how lovely their day is and how great the park is. It's also very uplifting to see the children's faces when they talk to you about the dolphins or the penguins.
Pros
free lunches, flexible work hours, great staff, enviroment
Cons
n/a
didnt enjoy it
vendor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92101September 16, 2018
aside from my coworkers the management didnt seem to care for the employees as my previous jobs did. i also didnt enjoy the lack of communication the company showed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SeaWorld San Diego. Our community is ready to answer.

SeaWorld San Diego Reviews by Location