SECU Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive but high school gossip at times.
CC-Financial Service Representative Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kinston, NCJune 25, 2018
A typical day at work includes but is not limited to extremely high call volumes..with a mixture of member services! The absolute worst part of working at this company is MODULES and the lack of being able to grow in the company.
Benefits
Cons
No room for growth
What I learned
Financial Services Consultant, Notary Public (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJune 16, 2018
While in SECU, I learned that if you work hard you would be rewarded for the work you do. I was able to advance my career in the financial industry thanks to the mentor I had while working there.
Pros
Unlimited sick accumulated sick hours
Cons
Can't get paid for unused sick hours upon departure
It was a great place to work
IRA ANALYST, OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDMay 28, 2018
I was allowed the opportunity to develop a career and advance into a leadership role with the support of education, training, good resources and leadership. My managers matched my ambitions
The culture is high pressure sales focused. It’s also political so if you’re looking for advancement get in good with upper management.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 8, 2018
The job in itself is rewarding, I loved working with the members however it was the behind the scenes part that I didn’t like. I’ve worked at several branches to either fill in when short staffed or as a “voluntary” relocation. I found that most branch managers did little to no work, not all but most. This minor detail is overlooked by upper management if the branch manager was part of their “click”. As for the goals they were high which is expected to give you something to strive for however there is an enormous pressure to reach them, the sales aspect is similar to a bank and not a credit union.
I’m grateful for the time I spent there, the good, bad, and the ugly. I learned a lot from my time there.
Pros
Great products
Cons
Low pay and poor management
Old fashioned, fair pay, poor visibility for growth
Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDFebruary 18, 2018
Corporate departments were siloed and no feeling that one could move around; wage increases were very small; good-hearted and nice people in corporate management; confusion and inefficiency around processes.
Above Average Employeer
Employee (Current Employee) –  MarylandJanuary 22, 2018
SECU has been a great first step for my career. Working at SECU has exposed me to a diverse field of business learning opportunities due to the operational model they employ. I'm certainly more valuable in today's marketplace having worked for a large Credit Union focused on growth and member service.
February 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your SECU experience! It's exciting to hear that you have found value in your professional development and overall learning experiences. With "Education" as one of our Core Values, we are committed to developing our employees so they can be the best they can be in their roles while developing skills for promotional opportunities. It's important to us that our employees feel personally fulfilled in what they do so it transfers to the passion around our social purpose in how we service our members.

management is horrible
None (Current Employee) –  Western MarylandJanuary 19, 2018
no advancement
manager and assistant play games with each other who has more power
manager always uses you dont have to like me but you will respect me
manager comes and goes as she please goes on fake business calls
to stay out of the office
never get acknowledge for a good job done
micromanaged all the time
Pros
pay
Cons
management
February 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your SECU experience! Although you found compensation to be favorable, we are saddened to hear that we may have failed in other areas. Leadership styles vary and, at times, conflict with what is most important for each of our employees. We take pride in how we collaborate and build relationships within the organization and will continue to stay focused on how we can improve these interactions. Perfection is not our goal (is there such a thing?) - fairness and respect for one another is.

Good look on your resume for a young person.
Video Teller Specialist (Current Employee) –  Linthicum Heights, MDOctober 16, 2017
Growing call center type of environment. For the job, and the amount of calls they expect you to pick up, they pay is terrible. Pay for me is what drove me out of this place. The chance for growing at SECU, this company will rather hire from outside.
Pros
Flexible if you are a student
Cons
The pay, the environment, overworked!
February 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your SECU experience - we're happy to hear that you found our focus on offering flexibility of value! We recognize the importance of work/life balance and strive to offer the support needed for employees to tend to life outside SECU.

Our Video Teller Center is an environment that allows us to engage with our members, via video, to conduct teller-based transactions. To do this, our Teller Services Representatives are servicing the entire membership across all financial centers in Maryland; as such, there will be times where volumes are higher than others - similar to what is experienced during peak times in a brick-and-mortar location.

At SECU, we place a tremendous amount of focus and attention on our Total Rewards program, which includes components related to compensation, benefits and growth opportunities. Our compensation structure is competitive and at market to Teller-based roles at other financial institutions, and we are putting more structure around career paths for our employees in the Video Teller Center to expand their skillset to other positions within the organization. 2018 will be an exciting year for SECU and we look forward to the opportunities this success will bring to our employees.

Decent job
Teller Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Linthicum Heights, MDSeptember 19, 2017
The people that work here are all very nice but it is a call center environment and the calls are timed. you'll basically have the same conversation 100+ times a day over 3 minutes with different customers. Some people really love it but it just isn't for me.
February 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your SECU experience - we truly appreciate the feedback!

As you know, our Video Teller Center offers teller services to members at all financial center locations through video and interactive teller machines. Having goals is a good thing as it gives us something to work towards, and to then celebrate when we reach them! To best measure our success in how we service our members through this very important delivery channel (one of our organizational critical measures), there are metrics in place around average speed to answer and average handle time.

Although the transactions processed for members might feel routine, the actual interaction with members is not as we encourage each employee to bring out their personality to build rapport and engage with each member. Understanding this might not be an environment which everyone prefers and/or thrives in, we have a team of many who have a tremendous amount of passion around servicing our members while bringing fun to the job!

Thank you for your commitment to SECU and our members - we hope you find value, overall, in your SECU employee experience!

Great place to start your career
TELLER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDJuly 30, 2017
A typical day is coming in and taking calls from members across MD. I've learned a lot about the banking industry. Management really works with you to get you acclimated with the job. I love my co-workers. The hardest part I sitting down all day. The enjoyable part is the people you work with.
February 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your SECU experience - it's great to see how much you've enjoyed acclimating to SECU and the role we play in making a positive contribution to the financial well-being of our members!

Understanding the technical aspect of banking plays a huge role in how we service our members, it's important for us to ensure we make the commitment to helping new team members acclimate to our environment and the job so they are successful in what they do. In other words, we believe we can teach the technical aspects of banking - that's our commitment to professional development provided team members come with table stakes of passion to deliver exceptional service to each and every member.

Our culture is member-centric, and our employees are members - building relationships within one's team and across the organization is, in big part, the core of our success. We are very committed to our critical measures and business priorities, as we should be...equally important is our commitment to having fun along the way!

Want to know more about SECU?

Ask a question
Its ok
Branch Staff (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 7, 2017
I have worked for better, but I have worked for worse. Over worked and underpaid. Things change all the time. Good benefits, upper management doesn't know how it is to be a branch staff employee
February 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your SECU experience - our intent is not to have any of our team members feel overworked, and it seems we may have failed you in this regard. We are an organization that is strongly committed to our social purpose of servicing our members while bringing greater awareness of our value proposition to the communities we serve. To accomplish this, we work hard and play hard, making sure FUN is woven into the fiber of how we accomplish our goals.

Change is inevitable; without it, we will fail in delivering the responsibility we have to our members' financial experiences. As change is implemented, we understand that it's not always easy, especially for our employees who are driving the change on the front line with our members. So, we regularly seek feedback and input from our employees on how things are going and what we might do differently to help ease the anxiety that may come with change. We strive for a culture of transparency and accountability, so input from our employees is important where we have often made changes to our approach based on the feedback and input received.

With success, comes reward. We offer a rich total reward package offering competitive compensation with many ad hoc contests for branch employees, affordable benefits, generous leave benefits, employer contributions to retirement savings and professional development opportunities to help our employees advance in their careers.

We may not be a perfect organization (there's no such thing!)...we are, however, fair and reasonable in how we approach the employee experience -  more... this is one of the SECU differentiators!  less

Entry Level Position
Teller Services Rep (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDMarch 1, 2017
Great place to start a career in banking or finance. Schedules are flexible and very accommodating for college students. A typical work day is non stop busy but you get to engage with interesting people.
February 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your SECU employee experience - it's refreshing to hear your time with us has been a great way to start your career in the financial services industry!

Understanding the importance of offering flexibility with the demands of work, we strive to deliver on this promise by working around school schedules and other commitments. Life happens, and we get that. With that said, we also get the importance on delivering the value proposition to our members through the service they receive from our employees. Our work days might be busy, yet we rarely lose sight of making the time to celebrate our successes and have some fun! We work hard, we play hard...and, we are glad you are part of our success story!

Family Oriented Environment
Items Processing Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDDecember 22, 2016
SECU is very family friendly as well as understanding. They promote their employees to excel in life by offering Tuition Reimbursement.
Toxic
Manager (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDAugust 4, 2016
I was in the HQ office. The employees in the branches seemed happy, although frequently complained about the unattainable level of their goals. The HQ employees, however, were not happy. Many managers and senior managers could not be trusted to do what they promised. Salary increases were small or non-existent. Senior managers frequently tried to get employees to gossip about co-workers to get "dirt" to use against them. Employees often were fired with no reason or notice, therefore people worked in an environment where they feared for their jobs and would not take risks. Turnover was very high -- voluntary and involuntary. A toxic environment with toxic leadership.
Pros
Cons
Management cannot be trusted
Overwhelming workplace
Customer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDJuly 12, 2016
Days are filled with back to back calls with little to none management availability. Everyday is a new day with a new learning experience. Coworkers are always energy filled and ready for a long day of work.
Decent work enviroment
Banker (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDMay 3, 2016
Decent work environment. Long hours. Go for branches that are smaller in size .less competition for sales. Great place to learn how to sale in a consulting style.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Very low pay for job your doing, retail type banking goals
Avoid or you will regret
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDDecember 17, 2015
Worst Management. Majority of the Sr. people have been there for 20+yrs so they don't care. Day 1 of your job they will bring all the Sr. leaders to show they care but they don't. You won't get treated like human being. You have to work sometimes 55+ hrs a week. They do not care about your personal life. You get micromanaged almost every single hour of your life. If you are in a supervisory role then forget it, Working for them is like signing your life away. Just find out the details on how many people leave within a year( Make sure you ask for the # of people who have left and not for the %of people who have left). Hopefully this is more then enough information for anyone to make a simple decision.
Pros
You will start looking for jobs as soon you join this Org.
Cons
Too Many too list here
Productive fast paste call center job
Telephone Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 4, 2015
A fun fast paste job in a call center. Taking Banking calls from clients
and trouble shooting accounts. Co-workers help with trouble shooting
process. The hardest part of the job was working with clients about
overdrafts and loans.
Cons
No short Term Disability
Different classroom every day. It was an excellent job while my father was ill because it was flexible.
Financial Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lavale, MDOctober 25, 2015
Fair compensation, with flexible work. The staff at all of the schools were very helpful and accomodating. It worked for me when I needed a flexible schedule due to family illness.
was able to build a great relationship with staff and public
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  baltimore mdSeptember 23, 2015
very rewarding place to have worked learned not only from colleagues but the general public as well.
learned how to assist an array of people on different levels and assisted the company with feed backs on how to establish a better relationship with staff and pulblic.
Pros
it was a great opportunity
Cons
company was down sized

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SECU. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight