Security Industry Specialists, Inc. Employee Reviews

my view
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CANovember 15, 2018
Supported Chief Operating Officer with daily operational functions.
Responded to customer requests via telephone and email.
Analyzed departmental documents for appropriate distribution and filing.
Performed initial client assessment and analysis to begin research process.
Warned offenders about rule infractions and violations and verbally evicted violators from
Education
premises.
Secured all doors in the office and main building after hours.
Denied entrance to the building to unauthorized persons.
Monitored and reported suspicious activities to local authorities.
Monitored central alarm system for fire, intrusion, and duress alarms and responded when needed.
Performed surveillance of suspects using binoculars, cameras and camcorders
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Prineville, ORNovember 13, 2018
I have nothing to say about this job. I did not enjoy it. It was not challenging enough for me. It was a last resort type of job for me at the time I was employed there.
Easy job for college students
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 29, 2018
My time as a Security Specialist at Security Industry Specialist in San Jose, Ca was spent well until they started firing Supervisors left and right with Security Specialists. New Supervisors came in and stared disrespecting Specialists and their own Supervisors. Throwing each other under the bus just to try and get a promotion. Your pay rate is dependent on the contract and it takes several years for someone to get a raise. Was there 3 years with no raise.
Great people with a clear understanding of the company's mission.
Security Operations Training Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 27, 2018
As the Operations training manager I'm engaged in the client facing aspects of each of our Fortune 50 deployments. Our company's "Tailored Solutions" to security concerns means I am able to create vital "just -in-time" training to safeguard our clients personnel, properties, and intellectual products.
Work Schedule is worst when you're beginner
Corporate Travel Agent (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAOctober 24, 2018
They need to informed employees or instead of sending an email to enroll for Medical insurance, its better to provide it once the training or orientation has started.
Pros
Free Snacks
Cons
healthcare, HR is lack of communication
Security Industry Specialists great place to get foot in door.
Business Assurance Center Operator (Former Employee) –  SeatteOctober 15, 2018
This is a standard security guard company that tries to separate itself from others. It provided a great opportunity to advance to bigger jobs outside of company.
Pros
Good pay for what you do, great for networking
Cons
limited promotion op from inside
An excellent company to advance in the Security Industry
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 11, 2018
Some key traits to exemplify and possess for SIS: positive, can do attitude, attentiveness, detail-oriented, passionate for excellent customer service and ambitious. All of these traits are important, but ambition is key to taking you further, as in opportunities for promotion and to learn more on the job.
Security Specialist
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 4, 2018
Good company with fair pay. Nice place to work. You get to interact with employees and staff. The benefits are good (medical/dental/401k/vacation). Enjoyed my time at SIS. There is always room for advancement.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Exactly what you would expect
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Prineville, ORSeptember 22, 2018
Some managers are straight arrows, the rules are the rules. Some managers go out of their way to find things to pick at. No matter what the job is deadly boring; if you can't stand to spend long hours alone in a vast building it won't work for you.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Boring
N/a
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 6, 2018
Post control, security roves, building roves, access control, loading docks, alarm responses.we did briefing everyday 30 after we clock in of our times.
Great for those seeking professional advancement
Watch Commander (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 5, 2018
This company seeks the best, and hires accordingly. The company culture seeks to have those that want to improve to have the ability to do so by identifying those who have great potential and nurturing it. Management can be hit or miss, but all management shares the desire to see their employees improve.
Pros
Great benefits, weekly pay, competitive salary
Cons
Salary expected to be able to work OT at moment's notice w/o compensation.
It's a good compay as far as security companies go
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 3, 2018
It is well above other companies in the industry. That being said it's your average corporation, no frills. It could be better but it could be a lot worse.
Pros
pay, benifits
Cons
time off, not a lot of room for growth
Excellent
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAAugust 28, 2018
I was disappointed when they switched this company for a competitor, I was very saddened when they relocated back to California. Great company though.
Pros
Pay and team management
Cons
The home office was in California
Deceptive Company
Security "Specialist" (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 27, 2018
At the surface level, SIS seems to offer the dream entry-level job but in the end it is very soul-crushing. You are nothing more than a blue shirt-wearing number to them. They are deceptive in their training and recruitment process.

Starting off with the job interview, it is a very rushed affair. First you'll get an e-mail asking for a phone interview and when you pass the phone interview they will set up an in-person interview at their office.
The phone interview seemed much more intensive than the in-person so if you pass the the phone interview you're likely to pass the following interview as well.

In the second interview you'll be thrown low-ball questions and be hired on the spot, then they will rush you through some paperwork and you will be assisted by their HR clerks so be prepared to stay there an extra hour or two after the interview. You will also be expected to pay ~$28 for the finger printing appointment while you're there on their provided laptops so don't forget your credit card.

After urinating in a cup for them at a clinic for your background check and your fingerprinting you'll be put into job training. On your first day they will give you all sorts of information that will make you think joining SIS was the best decision you ever made. They'll show you the break room that is laden with every snack and drink imaginable and tell you that they provide it to employees all for free. But don't let that deceive you because in reality you won't ever be stepping foot into that break room since your assigned post will be at the client's building who will not
  more... be providing the same amenities for you. They'll also tell you that they hire only the best but a quick look at your fellow trainees will tell you that's a lie as well. They say that we're not security guards, we're security "specialists" but there's nothing special about what we do.

You'll be issued a uniform which includes the most uncomfortable pair of shoes that you will ever put on your feet. Its construction basically chafes the life out of your little toe and will make you want to put a gun in your mouth at the end of the day.

The job itself really stinks. It's not a boring security job. I wished it was boring. But it's not stimulating enough either. It's downright annoying. The radio will constantly be chattering and it won't be long until you're hearing the cursed thing in your dreams. Many of your coworkers will find ways to hide and avoid doing their work, leaving you to sit at their post while they take an extra 5 or 10 minutes of lunch. The day i decided to leave there was even a fight between two specialists, right in front of the client too.

There are benefits but I didn't stay long enough to find out how good they are. That said, at the end I only managed to rack up a few hours of paid time off which i was compensated for. Their paid time off rate is 1 hour for every 30 hours worked. I didn't think much of it at first but after doing the math, I realized how bad it is.

The average amount of time off a workplace gives is about 10-15 sick days and a separate 10-15 vacation days for your fist year of working. If you work for SIS full-time (40 hour workweek) for a year you will accrue a whopping 69 hours of paid time off. That's less than 9 days a year to be used for both sick and vacation time. Sure you can accrue more than that amount if you work more than 40 hours a week but why would you torture yourself that way?
Pros
Orca Card (Does not work for autoferry!)
Cons
Every darn thing
Good place to work.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 26, 2018
I enjoyed working for SIS. I worked on a tech campus and enjoyed woth working conditions. Pay was very good for the type of work performed. In would recommend working for SIS!
Experience
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 22, 2018
The company was lenient and work with your availability when scheduled to work. Officers were updated with job task and provided information for work preparations. The pay was good and a learning experience for those new to the security field.
Poor Management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 22, 2018
Lack of communication
promised a raise after a certain time and never received it
poor pay
not steady posts even though I was full time . was treated as a flex or floater.
great company to gain experience in customer service and security industry
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2018
The company is a great place to start off your security guard career as both your customer service career. You will be tasked with greeting and answering many customer inquiries at the same time patrolling and keeping your workplace safe. Management and co-workers are great but advancement in this company is lack luster.
Pros
great hours, amazing work experience
Cons
shifts are very quiet and long, often pressured to work overtime, no career advancements
Can be fun with the co-workers
Security Specialist/Field Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 18, 2018
SIS was is an alright high end security company to work for, never had any issues working for them. They were always understanding when time off needed to be taken.
Great work environment, not enough pay
Global Security Operations Center Operator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 17, 2018
SIS provided me with many skills that I can utilize today. The company and management for the most part is a great environment to be in. Unfortunately, retention does not fair well due to lack of compensation.
Pros
Opportunity for growth
Cons
Compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Security Industry Specialists, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight