Security Public Storage Employee Reviews

Great company, good management
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 24, 2019
You have to wear many different hats during a typical day with SPS so I can understand how some people would feel like you are micromanaged. Bottom line is there is a lot to do every day and the company has to verify everything gets done. My Regional Manager has always been super supportive.
Pros
Good bonuses. Paid holidays.
Cons
Not much
Decent place to work
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 24, 2019
Worked as a weekend Relief Manager for the main Managers. There is opportunity to advance, but you do have to proove yourself as within any company. Must like/love people.
People on here complaining about "micro management" are just lazy
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaJune 17, 2019
I have worked for SPS for over 5 years. Yes they have things you are expected to do every day. Are they unreasonable, no. Unfortunately some of the reviewers on here expect a paycheck for doing little or nothing. SPS has always been very fair to me. I make $12 per hour PLUS commission that equates to $9 or more per hour. That's very fair. Not to mention housing.

One of the only drawbacks is the other lazy site managers that like to gossip. You clear have no idea why some of the previous Regionals left - don't act like you do.
Pros
Great company, good pay, good benefits
Cons
Other lazy site managers that like to gossip
You’ve been warned!
Manager (Current Employee) –  EverywhereJune 15, 2019
Please don’t be fooled by their so called “company culture”. They will be quick to discard you from a Manager position to a Regional. I’ve had 6 regional managers and all were fired. I’ve worked with I don’t know how’s many fellow managers and most have either left or been terminated. The turn over rate is ridiculous leaving the rest us over worked and ALREADY under paid. Minimum wage is AWESOME! Everything is micro managed and scripted. Do your homework and call other storage facilities asking how they like working there! Your phone call will be recorded so on second thought I recommend visiting other storage facilities in the area and speak with managers directly (outside the office because that’s recorded too!) and get their honest opinion. Best of luck to anyone looking to work for this company.
Pros
Cons
Long hours- Low pay- High turn over- Not enough coverage!
June 24, 2019

Where to start? First and foremost, do yourself a favor and find an employer who you’ll be happy with! Life is too short to stay in a situation you feel so negative about! We truly hope you find a work situation that brings you more happiness. Your comments do not remotely reflect the values of our company and our appreciation for our employees and customers. Specifically….
(1) “Pay / minimum wage”— our base salary is competitive in the industry, and our commissions are way above average. There is no Site Manager in the company that makes only minimum wage. In addition to their monthly commissions, many get free housing. Our commission program typically equates to several dollars per hour extra -- ESPECIALLY for those that have been with us for any period of time.
(2) "Micromanagement / recorded calls” — Yes, we have strict Quality Control standards; they help us deliver the best storage experience in the industry!
(3) High turnover -- based on the reviews here, your experience appears to be the minority. Many of our Site Managers say one thing they love about the job is being able to run their facilities like their own businesses! About a quarter of them have been with us for over 4 years, several over 10 years!

Please find somewhere you’ll be happy; we truly wish you the best, even though that will clearly not be with our team.

Customers are great! employees are lazy
Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CAMay 30, 2019
This is not a very organized company I've been working here 5 months and certain things still just not together. This place means more organization and more work ethics.
June 3, 2019

Erica, thank you for expanding on your experience during the exit interview today. The insight you provided will allow us to address some operational inefficiencies at the Glendora location and make it a better working environment for all. Best of luck!

Easy, Productive job
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, CAApril 9, 2019
The job is what you make of it. It can be very productive and you can learn quite a bit. I enjoyed my time at Security Public Storage, there wasn't a lot of room for growth within the company.
Pros
Easy Job, Great on site managers
Cons
Little Room for advancement
April 22, 2019

Thank you for your review! Related to your desire to grow, did you express that to your Regional Manager? We always try to promote from within -- we promoted four different reliefs to Site Manager in 2018 alone.

Great place to meet new people and help if needed.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVMarch 9, 2019
Its a storage facility where customer are welcome, some stories will have you thinking, but nice, clean, fun times, talking to many people each day ok
Pros
Meeting good people and working hard to keep clean
Cons
District Manager needs to be retraind and not so racist
March 18, 2019

Thank you so much for your review! While we have a brand new Regional Manager in the Sparks area, can you please email us with more info about your experience so we can ensure it's addressed appropriately? jobs@securitypublicstorage.com

If you are not dedicated, do not waste their/your time.
On-Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 14, 2019
The easiest way to put it is you get out of it, what you put in. They will give you all of the tools and support you need to succeed BUT it's up to you to use them. I was there for 4 years starting as part time then full time when the position became available. My whole experience with SPS was nothing but positive and I enjoyed working with and learning from all of the employees that I got to meet whether they were from corporate or a sister facility.
Horrible place to work
Onsite Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 10, 2019
They give you no help and they have you in the worst neighborhood ever. The pay is terrible. This company doesn’t communicate very well. If you get hurt on the job they will find a way to fire you. They condone horrible customer service and employees that are useless. They are rat infested and don’t want you to inform customers of this.
Pros
Onsite living
Cons
No lunches sometimes, work alone, horrible pay
Great working environment with great co-workers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CA 92648October 6, 2018
Opening up the office. Complete the daily opening computer tasks. prepare cash drawer. Make the daily telephone calls. Greet customers and help them with their storage needs. Make sure the facility is clean and safe. Do the daily closing procedures. Close out receivables and the cash drawer. Lock up the office.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
no healthcare
October 8, 2018

Thank you so much for your thoughts and comments! If healthcare is important to you, we have several full-time positions currently available. Talk to your Regional Manager about applying. We have great HMO and PPO options.

Family oriented company.
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 25, 2018
Enjoyed my time spent at Security Public Storage. Developed a strong relationship with the owners as well as its customers. Gain property management experiences I thought I'd never gain. It expanded my field of knowledge in management greatly. Look forward to using skills learned in my next journey.
Great Opportunities for travel
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJuly 14, 2018
Security Public Storage offered many opportunities to travel and meet other team members, but did not give the time for proper training in the business.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Inadequate Training
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAMarch 26, 2018
Was an easy job to do, most times were easy going and relaxed but certain days and time, it would get busy. Management was totally different then any other I've experienced, in a good way. If I hadn't moved I would have stayed working there.
Professional workplace
On-Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 21, 2018
A good company in many ways. They offer extensive training which is very helpful. Commission structure is generous. Management responds quickly when assistance is needed.
Pros
Job security
April 2, 2018

Thank you for your review! We appreciate the positive comments! What could we do to take your rating from 3-stars to 4- or 5-stars?

Best Job I have ever had!!
On-Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 8, 2018
Working at Security Public Storage changed my life forever. It provided me with throrough training and support. I've been able to grow in my role as a manager and upper management is phenomenal. This is a family friendly company that truly cares about their employees.
Pros
Best support system and upper management
Excessive wear and tear on personal vehicles
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 6, 2018
A typical day involved driving to any number of facilities located all over CA., from Modesto, CA., but did not know the location until around 8pm the night before.
February 12, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. We list the travel, pay, and required skills needed on our job advertisement and we do our best to ensure we have a match when we hire. In fact, our ads for maintenance openings list "extensive travel" in the ad title. As you mentioned, sometimes there are emergencies that dictate where you are sent the next day. Our maintenance crew includes MANY people that have been with SPS 5 or more years. They report enjoying the diversity of work, learning opportunities, and comradery that comes with being a part of a team. They also report really enjoying the stability in schedule and benefits to help care for themselves and their families.

Fun place, easy to work at
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAOctober 4, 2017
I was a relief manager, so I only worked 2 days per week. It is a very relaxed position with free time outside of getting all your normal days work completed
Highly Recommended
Resident Manager (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAAugust 31, 2017
I worked with SPS for nearly 3 years. I absolutely loved it. The company cared about me professionally and personally. The upper management has talent, experience, excellent foresight of the industry and on top of that, if you can perform you'll be pleasantly surprised how much you will make. Advancement is there for those who seek it, they have a well built leadership development program that will really help develop you. SPS is really ahead of the game, if you want to be part of the best with potential to earn the best in the industry count yourself lucky if you are able to join this progressive company. I am thankful I was able to work there and learn so much.
Pros
Housing, compensation, leadership, growth opportunity
Cons
Paperwork
Lots of opportunity to grow
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAJuly 30, 2017
They treat everyone fair. Good communication by upper management. You learn a lot of new things. I have also seen several part time people get promoted and become facility managers.
Pros
Growing company
Average
Relief Employee (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAJuly 11, 2017
This company did their best to maintain their facilities and customers but lacked in management. Management was unreliable and at times very unprofessional.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Management was unreliable
July 17, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience. We recognize there has been some turnover in management in the past at our Escondido property. You'll be happy to know that we now have a veteran management team at that location, who was transferred from a SPS location out of the area. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Security Public Storage. Our community is ready to answer.