Security Public Storage

Security Public Storage Employee Reviews for Relief Manager

Relief Manager24 reviews
United States24 reviews

storagehousingregionalpublicfacilitysecuritymanageropportunity

Upper Management (Directors) care about their employees.

The employees are very helpful with their co-workers and everyone tries to work together as a team and not against each other. My current Regional Manager is always available to assist with anything we need help with.

Pros

Wonderful co workers

Cons

When working alone no lunch breaks

Okay place to work for a short time

It is an okay place to work - the people in upper management are not that great. It's okay for a short period of time. I wouldn't recommend working longer than 3 months with this company. You can find somewhere better.

April 25, 2022
Thank you for your review. We would certainly like to learn what we as a company could have done better to retain you. Would you take a few minutes to reach out to hr@bacoproperties to share your experience? We do look forward to hearing from you.

Security Public Storage insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Don't Work Here

Management is bad and you're expected to do so much work for little pay. You're paid barely minimum wage or even just barely over minimum wage with no benefits. As a relief "manager", you work two days to give the site manager two days off.

Pros

going home

Cons

no benefits and doesn't pay well

September 17, 2021
Sorry to hear your experience was less than stellar! While we have many full-time positions that include benefits, many of our Relief Managers enjoy the part-time nature of their position because they are semi-retired, students, etc. Definitely read reviews written by other Relief Managers -- several of them comment on the lucrative commission opportunities and their love for our culture. Best of luck!

Great hours and awesome management, it was a good team. Definitely pay attention & take notes during training. But once you get it, you got it. Definitely a great place to work and grow, lots of opportunity.

Pros

opportunitys

Easy job that gets busy

Not too difficult of a job but customers make it worse and get upset when you can't waive fees for them. Tedious expectations from management that make your work feel not appreciated.

January 14, 2021
Thanks for your feedback! We have the most lenient late fee policies in the industry. We provide our customers a 10-day grace period and have the lowest late fees of any large storage company. We're sorry to hear you felt underappreciated. We have several different programs to recognize our wonderful managers between Employee of the Quarter for each region, our monthly Top Ten performers list, and end-of-year bonuses.

Good place to start

Great place to start if you’re looking for an office job. Staff is amazing! It’s busy at times which is great because it keeps you occupied and focused.

Pros

Awesome team

The job

About this job. It’s not terrible. The employees are great. I adore many of them! They are always willing to help you.. personally I’ve called 100’s of times and they’re always willing to assist me in whatever I can’t figure out. A benefit is they pay you mileage to cover other properties. It does make a difference in pay. However the normal pay isn’t that great. The commission rate really depends on the property you work at. Some months you may have 80 in commission some months you may have 10 dollars in commission. Really depends. Personally I wouldn’t depend on commission for extra money. If you really want to make money here you need to cover other locations. Essentially the only reason I’m leaving is because benefits were not offered. Honestly it’s a pretty easy job. Especially if you like people. For me personally I’ll miss some of the customers. They are wonderful. (Some can be pretty ruthless at times and make your day miserable) I think that’s pretty much any customer service job. Personally I found the call flow guidelines were a little rough at times. Especially because sometimes customers wanna go off topic. It makes it difficult. I hated listening to calls. Kinda felt like public shaming and made me uncomfortable lol. A recommendation I’d give is to Offer the employees undivided attention, helping them feel motivated and energized, and showing them that you care about their thoughts and opinions. It would be more powerful than writing up a site visit all day. I think Offering these opportunities will give employees additional skills that allow them to improve their -

Pros

Mileage

Cons

No benefits

July 24, 2020
Missy, thank you for your feedback. We feel like the recurring site visits provided by our regional Managers are intended to both highlight accomplishments/achievements as well as look for and coach on areas of opportunity -- with the goal of continued progress. Best of luck with everything!

Amazing Company

Nothing but appreciation and love for a company that really helped me grow. You are never alone and can always count on someone to help you out if ever needed. The workday is set and designed to be easily done so you never have to stress about work not getting done. Upper management is great and perfectly balances its involvement as to always be involved without having to micro manage everything. During the Covid-19 pandemic Security Public Storage adapted and reacted to the change swiftly and well and i can say i felt even safer here than anywhere else. Thank you SPS for the opportunity to work with such a great team

Pros

Benefits, commission, paid holidays, set hours and days off

My Experience

You are your own manager for the company, so whatever you put out is well recognized by the company. There are no harsh quotas, just reasonable ones. The Regional managers are extremely nice and understanding. Lots of opportunity to move up.

Pros

opportunity to move up, good enviroment

Cons

travel (but not necessary)

Great company, good management

You have to wear many different hats during a typical day with SPS so I can understand how some people would feel like you are micromanaged. Bottom line is there is a lot to do every day and the company has to verify everything gets done. My Regional Manager has always been super supportive.

Pros

Good bonuses. Paid holidays.

Cons

Not much

Decent place to work

Worked as a weekend Relief Manager for the main Managers. There is opportunity to advance, but you do have to proove yourself as within any company. Must like/love people.

Customers are great! employees are lazy

This is not a very organized company I've been working here 5 months and certain things still just not together. This place means more organization and more work ethics.

June 3, 2019
Erica, thank you for expanding on your experience during the exit interview today. The insight you provided will allow us to address some operational inefficiencies at the Glendora location and make it a better working environment for all. Best of luck!

Easy, Productive job

The job is what you make of it. It can be very productive and you can learn quite a bit. I enjoyed my time at Security Public Storage, there wasn't a lot of room for growth within the company.

Pros

Easy Job, Great on site managers

Cons

Little Room for advancement

April 22, 2019
Thank you for your review! Related to your desire to grow, did you express that to your Regional Manager? We always try to promote from within -- we promoted four different reliefs to Site Manager in 2018 alone.

Great Opportunities for travel

Security Public Storage offered many opportunities to travel and meet other team members, but did not give the time for proper training in the business.

Pros

Traveling

Cons

Inadequate Training

Was an easy job to do, most times were easy going and relaxed but certain days and time, it would get busy. Management was totally different then any other I've experienced, in a good way. If I hadn't moved I would have stayed working there.

Fun place, easy to work at

I was a relief manager, so I only worked 2 days per week. It is a very relaxed position with free time outside of getting all your normal days work completed

Lots of opportunity to grow

They treat everyone fair. Good communication by upper management. You learn a lot of new things. I have also seen several part time people get promoted and become facility managers.

Pros

Growing company

Stifling environment from top management.

Generally a good place to work if you don't mind corporate management micro-managing your performance. Specific corporate policies which are frequently ignored at all levels.

Pros

Fair compensation

Cons

Very little freedom to perform sales tasks

July 3, 2017
I'm sorry you have had a very contrary experience to most. For example; the reviews written on 4/25/17, 5/18/17 and 5/20/17 all cite great culture and no micro-management. Like most companies our size, we do have sales guidelines to ensure a uniform message to our customers.

Active work environment with varied task

Helping people with their storage needs and selling additional packaging merchandise. Answering phones and making reservations. Keeping the property clean.

Pros

Many different task to perform so you never get bored

Cons

very low pay with no benefits

September 8, 2016
Thank you for your comments! You would be happy to know that we recently updated our compensation package and now have one of the most lucrative compensation packages in the storage industry -- even for part-time positions!

I loved my co workers

It was so much fun working for the company but unfortunately they did not seem to do very well. It made you fear for your job and it was not how I wanted to live. My co workers and the manager were the best part of the day!

Pros

Co workers

Cons

Job security

May 20, 2016
Thank you for your review. We've been in business for over 30 years -- do you mind expanding on why you thought the company wasn't doing very well and feared for your job?

A great place to learn something new.

A typical day at S.P.S is fun and interesting. I learn something new everyday by my manager putting new challenging tasks for me to work on. Some are as easy as showing units to rent, taking payments throughout the day and answering phone calls. When I'm outside I make sure that the property is clean presentable and in great conditions. The hardest thing at S.P.S is repairing the units, and covering water leaks. The best part of my daily routine is the end of day, I get to count the merchandise, the daily deposit and close the day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Security Public Storage. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits