Sedgwick Claims Management Services Employee Reviews

Service Center Rep
Service Center Rep (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAAugust 16, 2018
The coworkers and overall atmosphere was enjoyable. Being able to help a client and know that you made their day is enjoyable to me. They depend on us to get the job done and when you hear the tone change from when they originally called, well then you know you did your job and more. The most difficult for me was when you hit that brick wall of not being able to help. You go over and beyond your abilities and then hit the wall because of missing paperwork, etc. If one wants to start a job in the customer service field then Sedgwick is the place to work.
Sweatshop
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAAugust 15, 2018
Lack of work-life balance
Company has very unrealistic expectations
Great coworkers
Telecommuting options
Decent health benefits
Offers 401K
Generous PTO (but difficult to utilize due to heavy workload)
Discounts with vendor partners
Flex schedule
Salary is inadequate to cover cost of living in So Cal
Pros
Decent health benefits and PTO
Cons
Heavy workload and inadequate salary
Great workplace
Claims Assistant/Part-time Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHAugust 12, 2018
Everyone works like a team. I had great trainers and the rest of the staff was always kind and respectful. Highly recommend for the benefits, start with 15 days PTO
Great, Flexible work environment
Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York StateAugust 9, 2018
The job overall is really flexible with a good work-life balance and upper management is really friendly. However the pay is really low and even with the raise they literally only give you a few pennies more.
Enjoyable workplace
IT Consultant (Architect and Engineer) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 9, 2018
I was a consultant at Sedgwick with a specific initiative, so although it was an excellent experience for me, my project also displaced a lot of workers, so I don't feel like I should comment on the experience there.
New Management
Workers Compensation Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 8, 2018
New management is Restructuring to pay lower salaries, not advancing employees with higher salaries. A great place to start in the industry for beginners.
Unprofessional management, overworked, underpaid
Claims Recovery Representative (Current Employee) –  Independence, OHAugust 6, 2018
I've been with this company for over 3yrs. It's unfortunate that they constantly place the most unprofessional and under qualified people in leadership roles, which makes for a miserable work environment. Employees are severly underpaid compared to industry averages and we are over worked. Unrealistic goals are set and instead of finding solutions to make things run in a more productive manner, management threatens employees with "performance management/ write-ups". They do not encourage a healthy work/life balance. The job function itself is fairly easy; however, the environment is miserable and the pay is struggle.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Poor salary, unprofessional environment, extreme work loads
I love my boss and my team
Senior Claims Examiner / Litigation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAAugust 6, 2018
My direct boss and team were great to work for.

The company MVP ceremony was also something I was very grateful for. Its hard to win said award but well worth the experience.
fast paced
INTAKE CLAIMS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 6, 2018
this company could use updated policies and management. The atmosphere is virtual so you have to make sure you stay connected and communicate with management.
Not worth the pay for all the work
Claims (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 5, 2018
The pay is very low compared to similar companies and then you are expected to work long hours and nights/weekends to just try and keep up with the workload. They are very understaffed but they just keep increasing the case loads so they can cut more staff.

The company as a whole states 'caring counts' and they put their employees first and profits second. Unfortunately that's not the case in most offices, it's obvious the clients come first and employees are a distant second. Senior leadership is like most companies, have some really good ones and some terrible ones. Seems like many get promoted just because of who they know, not because they are any good. So that drives down morale even more.
Pros
PTO banks, 401K match and HSA contributions
Cons
Pay, work loads, long hours and a toxic work envirnment
Multiple units throughout the office.
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDAugust 3, 2018
There are multiple different "teams" with different supervisors. Most of the Supervisor's are great, however there are a few that have no idea what they're doing and show full favoritism. The pay is good but our health "benefits" are awful.
Extremely Siloed
Data Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDAugust 2, 2018
Even within each department, the management style is to keep everyone divided and working at 150% capacity. This prevents individuals from meeting or exceeding expectations. The entire company is lacking a work life balance.
Pros
Pto, Telecommuter Options
Cons
Management, Lack of Mentors, Pay, No Work Life Balance, Little or no room for advancement
Worst organization to be a part of.
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHAugust 2, 2018
I came into the position as a claims rep with no experience in the field. I explained this to the staff and within a week or two, I already had claims. The only training I was given in the independence office was powerpoints.

Afterwards multiple people quit and some were fired and as a result, i received the left over claims from three different former collegues. This put me completely in the hole.

As a result, i had to fight to get my pending down and asked for assistance in the process. Once I was half way through my pending, I was let go for "not meeting expectations".

They fired me because of a situation that they put me in.
Pros
Pay and schedule
Cons
Management, training, organization, work-life balance.
Contract to hire
Conversion programmer (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 2, 2018
I received this position via a third party placement right out of college. So, most of my short time here was spent training and doing various projects along the way.
Good pay, Everything else is the worst in the industry.
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 2, 2018
I worked at Sedgwick for an very short period of time, it was the most unprofessional company I have seen in more than 15 years in the insurance industry. The workflows are painfully inefficient, slow and in some cases probably amount to bad faith type situations. Work normally completed by desk adjusters is assigned to field adjusters. They send Field Adjusters from south FL to inspect claims in north FL, Field Adjsuters from central or north FL to south FL so they can bill more mileage? Its not because its the best or even a good way to do it.

I asked management why things are done in such an unnecessarily slow, impractical and inefficient way and they told me that it was done that way on purpose and that instead of trying to fix it I should appreciate the fact that I get to bill more hours by doing things in that manner. I was less than appreciative of this situation and turned in my two week notice. The wastefulness and intentional delays are bad for the insureds, the clients and borders on fraud in some of the cases. The inside adjusters are so bogged down with claims that they can't keep up and send numerous tasks they should be doing to field adjusters, claims that should be closed in 48hrs are kept open for months for no reason, other than more can be billed for follow up reports, it is really bad. Employee morale is pretty bad overall.

To be fair, some employees were used to how everything is done and were OK with the situation, it can be lucrative if you are OK this type of thing.

Outside people need to come in and review the day to day operations and streamline
  more... everything.  less
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
You will have to abandon any good work habits and replace them with the Sedgewick way.
Big company, large work load, poor management, high stress, low pay
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 1, 2018
Pressure cooker of a claim load. No help, oversight, or training from management. You are essentially on your own to sink or swim. You end up putting in 12-13 hour days every day just to succeed, and the only feedback you will ever get is negative. Managers exist only to nitpick and find the smallest of things to complain about. Performance reviews are based on negative things the company searches for in your performance. No consideration to the excellent claim resolutions you get, the excellent write ups, the massive claim load you successfully handle, the highly complex situations you are handed, and your overall performance; only that you forgot to cross a T one time and are therefore not getting a raise.

The company will not give you consideration for a bonus or raise unless you hound your boss for several weeks, even then it is a 2% raise at most and something 'you should be happy about becasue we don't give raises that large'. So, you are stuck at barely over entry level while putting in 13 hour days on claims of high complexity.

You deal with stressfull sitatuations day in-day out with your work, yet the company's attitude and management's willful ignorance is the reason you too will begin looking for a new job after week 4 in this office.

You colleagues are the saving grace, and since everyone is in the same situation, are the reason you can make the environment a little better by sharing in their misery.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
The company, the managers, the requirements, the pay
Great company to work for and has multiple locations to do so.
Claims Adjuster, Intel Corp (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJuly 31, 2018
I handled approximately 130 files. Stress was minimal. My direct supervisor was the best, provided support and was very communicative. I enjoyed working with co-workers I previously worked with.
Pros
Provides opportunities.
Cons
Showed favoritism at times.
Sedgwick Review
Service Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJuly 30, 2018
The company itself isn't bad its the national call center that is horrible and is discriminated against Rules are totally different. No room for advancement.
I wish not to write summary
Leave of Absence Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJuly 30, 2018
I do wish to write a summary about this job at Sedgwick. It was an okay place to work. Good vacation time. Good job if you like computer work. Stressful.
A high demand environment that rewards effort if you pursue it,
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Coralville, IAJuly 29, 2018
Sedgwick will demand you to be effective and brief. You will be recognized for effective performance, and coaching is offered.

The attendance rules are strict and are NOT negotiable, Show up or you will NOT keep your job,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sedgwick Claims Management Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight