See's Candies Employee Reviews

Started Good
Data entry of candy orders (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAFebruary 14, 2019
When I started at See's, the environment was fun. We worked hard, but it was always fun. Over the last couple of years, it not fun any more. It's like everyone is walking on egg shells.

A typical work day for me is answering phones, proactive tracing and taking orders. Proactive tracing is when we call the carriers to make that orders will be delivered on time. If not, we schedule earliest delivery time. We also call customer to inform them of new delivery date.

I have learned carrier regulations on delivery times. I have also learned to enter orders, track orders, and agent support.

The hardest part of the job is being laid off every year.

The most enjoyable part of the job is most of my coworkers
Awesome
Lead Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 12, 2019
This was a cool job because they let you eat all the candy you want. Job consisted of greeting customers, taking customer orders, and recommending candies.
super chill, great coworkers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAFebruary 9, 2019
The work environment is pretty chill. you get to eat as much candy as you want. coworkers are super nice. uniform Is a bit uncomfortable and gets in the way sometimes but besides that its a good job
Physically demanding, but fun at the same time
Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 1, 2019
Who doesn't love chocolate?! All of our customers were so happy to see us year after year. They made the job fun and interesting for sure. There was some heavy lifting involved, but nothing too serious. Daily paperwork was extremely easy to complete.
Amazing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 29, 2019
This was by far my all time favorite job ever. I love candy and helping customers by recommending them candy was perfect for me. I learned the stocking method very quickly.
Fun and fast pace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 12, 2019
Sees candies is never routine which makes working there so fun. So many tourists come in simply for samples while others come to buy hundreds of dollars worth of chocolate. The contingent vibe mixed with the excellent management makes See’s an awesome place to work at!
Pros
Free chocolate
Cons
Too much chocolate
Great Company Horrible Management
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJanuary 11, 2019
An outstanding product in what is mostly a very fun and exciting environment kept me there for nearly ten years as a store manager.

Ageism, racism and a very disrespectful tone caused me to leave.

Managers at See's are often not given the opportunity to lead and develop. All hiring, firing and promotions go through the district level and are usually mishandled.

Weak leadership at the district level creates mistrust and mistreatment of employees which ultimately causes the retention of some of the worst people I have ever met and the high turnover of very dedicated and hardworking management.

A handful of desperados cling to their positions there, but overall the years of long retention are over and See's depends on high turnover to maintain low payroll.
Pros
Fun environment other than the upper management
Cons
Destructive, demeaning work culture at the district level.
See’s is an excellent company
Lead Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 7, 2019
Sees was a great place to work for until the new regional manager decided to hire her best friend (a convict) for a management position and they started to replace the responsible staff with their friends and family. Since that has happened the location I worked has changed for the worse and seems much less friendly, less organized and rarely has stock of the candies someone is looking for.
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Retail Sales/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZJanuary 3, 2019
Fun and enjoyable workplace. Great talking to customers. Liked restocking the shelves and just keeping busy.
The hours were part-time that which worked for me, about 20-24 hours per week. Liked getting paid once a week.
Manager was excellent except for more training on cash register especially with gift cards/coupons.
Better job for men than women
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 3, 2019
I didn't have the best experience at See's as I was made to believe that I would be hired on with the endgame of promotion to an assistant manager-level position quickly. I was groomed for it and became a keyholder right away but was told, when the time came to fill that position, that I would be applying for the position against everyone else that was eligible. It also felt sexist that the uniforms for women were paper-thin white dresses and tights that are not conducive to unloading orders and cleaning the store efficiently. It also gave men(and women) far too much room to comment on said uniforms in less-than-appropriate manners.
Pros
candy, special occasions, helping people
Great Company
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Victorville, CAJanuary 3, 2019
Great Company to work for. Could use some tips on micromanaging and more compassion and training on work moral. Retail is a customer driven field but there is also a fine line to balance between customer service and work moral for the employees. I wish that companies would go back to the ground work of a happy work place is a more productive work place.
Pros
Pay, benefits, retirement
Cons
hrs, training, time managment
ok for a seasonal job
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. George, UTJanuary 2, 2019
I worked here for the season and got hired fairly easily through the interview process. The product is good, the customers and coworkers were fun. Some of the store managers were a bit hard to work for. But for a seasonal job it was fine.
Pros
good product that we were allowed to eat, fast paced, flexible
Productive fun workplace fast paced seasonal work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Menifee, CADecember 30, 2018
Great place to work. Great management team. Patient with new hires. Clean organized and efficient space for helping customers. Workers are treated with respect and as part of the team from day one
Unprofestional staff, waste of time I could have spent pursuing a better managed job.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CADecember 18, 2018
As far as seasonal jobs go, this one was abysmal. The majority of the staff members were very unprofessional, often prodding me about personal matters and topics I would rather not engage in, especially in a work enviornment. They would carry on conversations with each other that were completely unrelated to work even in the presence of customers. They never seemed to realize when it was time to end a conversation and get back to work.

The managment would often set rules and guidelines for the new hires, however the rest of the staff put little to no effort in following them. Additionally, I would be instructed by one supervisor to do a task a certain way only to be told by another that I need to do it differently, each acting as if they were the highest athority on the matter. At times it seemed as if there was an internal power struggle.

This may not be the case at other See's locations, but it was my single experience at the loction I worked at.

If you do choose to work there, prepare for your lower back to ache as you will be bent over at an angle for the majority of your shift. The only positive aspect of the job was getting to sample the candies in the back room when there's ever a free moment so that you can better familiarize yourself with the products. Addtionally, seeing the customers' reactions when they tried something new was a nice experience for me, but that's my subjective feeling.

Over all, I didn't mind the job itself, it was the people that work there that made it unpleasent. I personally felt a bit jerked around with the anarchy that
  more... was "the managment staff" and the lack of hours I received. The job seemed like a big facade, I never got more than a maximum of 4 hours a day and if I was lucky I would get to come in 3 days out of the week. Not what I would even call a part time job.  less
Pros
Encouraged to eat candy (in back room only), a very small discount.
Cons
The staff, the uniform, bent over most of shift resulting in aching lower back.
Fun.
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Corona del Mar, CADecember 7, 2018
It was an experience for sure, quickly learning that looks truly are deceiving and not everyone can be trusted. Looks can be deceiving abound this checkered entrapment.
Pros
Free Candy.
Cons
Poor Management.
Very quick fun fast pace bilingual accommodated
See’s candies (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXNovember 28, 2018
Fast pace
Learner new accommodation
Managers helping
Hardest cashier
Hard working shop
Enjoyable getting the lunch break at a certain time
Learned to become self centered
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
productive and fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CANovember 25, 2018
a typical day at work is fun and productive. the management there is great, very organized. the hardest part of the job would have to be to not eat so much candy.
Worse place to ever work at
LEAD CLERK (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesNovember 8, 2018
This company will never have your back, they’re notorious for throwing people under the bus, it’s a very catty work place, they rather promote a stranger than workers who’ve been w/ the company for years just so they don’t have to pay them more.
Pros
All you can eat chocolates
Cons
Catty & gossipy work place especially between staff & upper management, no work balance & they don’t honor requested days off even when submitted months ahead of time!
loved it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CANovember 4, 2018
it's a great job for what it is. who doesn't like chocolate right? The management was great there. The busy days made the hours fly by and the coworkers made the job fun.
Fun place to work
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORNovember 2, 2018
Great place to work. Great management! I like being paid weekly. Overtime kicks in daily if you work over 8 hours. This job for me is seasonal but if you do well and want something part time for the rest of the year, this can be an option for you.
Pros
Good discount, fun place to work
Cons
part time only

Ask a question about working or interviewing at See's Candies. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at See's Candies.

Powered by Comparably