SEFCU Employee Reviews

Fast paced attention to detail
Member Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 13, 2018
This is a Federal credit union position with a chance to advance as long as performances are exceptional. Great benefits, voted the best credit union to work for in Capital region.
Member Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 13, 2018
Training is great they feed youu and teach you the basics. The teachers are fun and understanding. Volunteer work you do is always fun. Free nicknacks all the time. You learn about financial health. Managers care about you and everyone is a team! Being a. Teller can be hard but they make hit worth while. I wasnt a good teller but I have great memories. The CEO follows through with the companies amazing culture
Pros
Compensation, culture, people, job.
Cons
Commute to work
No fun, management was bad
Member Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2018
The only good reason to work there were the hours and time off after a year. The management at most local branches were for the most part awful. They preached fun, but it was more of a banking cult, and it wasn't much fun at all. There were mandatory volunteer hours and getting the actual vacation weeks off was a nightmare. Pay was poor, but the CEO seemed genuine the one time I met him.
Cut throught
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 21, 2018
SEFCU is a family friend business. If you are not a family friend you will no succeed. Sefcu offers a large amount of products but has many rules that effect members in a negative way.
Pros
Twice a year parties
Cons
Compensation
Good
Member Solution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 3, 2018
Overall great place to be lots of bonuses solid management and the company makes sure the employees are comfortable to maximize work out put. Nothing more to say
Pros
Free lunch, free gym, management
Create company to work for if you are in the Albany area.
Business Branch Manager & Member Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYApril 16, 2018
I truly loved working for SEFCU! I would have never left if there were more offices in the Saratoga/Queensbury area. They had a great benefits package and were a very loyal company to work for!
It may depend on where you are and what you do.
Senior Commercial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYFebruary 21, 2018
Many of the positions at SEFCU are dramatically different. You cannot compare working in the call center to loss mitigation to working in the branch. One should assume that each specific group, led by different managers offer strengths and potential weaknesses.

The one similarity across most of the lines of business is that SEFCU usually does succeed in making a difference for its employees and the members they serve. Changing lives is not just an overused tagline.
Awesome work place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  MALTA, NYDecember 24, 2017
I love working at sefcu. However the hours are not conducive to my life anymore (8:30-5 or 6 and working every saturday). There are positions that are better hours than others but they are hard to come by.
Pros
Free lunch, Awesome discounts, Awesome co-workers
Cons
Competative
Great place to work for a short time
Consumer Lending Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 6, 2017
Extremely high employee turnover, inconsistent changes, very poor management, zero job security, insufficient communication between managers and employees, work schedule does not allow presence for volunteer opportunities, lots of favoritism. CEO holds monthly meetings for any concerns of employees
Pros
benefits, work environment, events, CEO communication
Cons
no job security, poor management, few opportunities
fun time
Front Desk Teller/Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 12, 2017
Busy most days , love customers, diverse culture. hardest is working with clients who don't want to hang up because they are angry, love the elderly.n
great learning experience
MEMBER SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 21, 2017
Good place to work if you are coming in from a different company. Once you are in the pay increases or disappointing. Very stressful due to goals and upper management micromanaging every move. Decent work/life balance and flexible with scheduling.
Excellent work environment and culture.
Commercial Lending Officer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 22, 2017
Advancement and education are highly encouraged. They are very health and wellness orientated. Free gym is available and free seminars encouraging health are held.
Pros
free Friday lunches - gym available
Very employee friendly workplace
Member Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 13, 2017
SEFCU was an amazing place to work. At all times they wanted to know how the employee experience was. They gave us pretty awesome benefits. They provided us with a free gym at the headquarters. They threw us parties, and gave us gifts. They have been voted best bank/credit union in the capitol district for over 10 years.They hardest part of the job was the angry members, but everywhere has that.
Pros
free lunches, gifts, bonuses.
Cons
long days, not many breaks
N/a
Member Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 1, 2017
🦄.....I can compare working here to the unicorn frappucino at Starbucks. You get really excited and can't wait to try this amazing new thing only to find out parts of it aren't that appealing. It's not all bad and you still have a brightly colored frappucino but overall there's some regret
Leadership and culture focus
BRANCH MANAGER/MEMBER SERVICE LEADER (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 19, 2017
Member-focused culture; employees are focused on doing the right thing for the person sitting in front of them. This environment will support those willing to listen to their clients and who are not afraid to take action, including when only limited data is available for decision making.
Great Place to Work
Member Specialist (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYJanuary 25, 2017
Truly enjoyed working for this company. Can be challenging working with some people, and heavy customer volume and be overwhelming, but if you have tough skin, and a positive attitude, you will truly enjoy working here.
Pros
great compensation and benefits
Cons
management can be challenging
Great company to work for!
Compliance Analyst/Member Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 25, 2016
SEFCU is a great company to work for. The SEFCU culture focuses on it's employees, its members and its community. I can honestly say I love the company and I would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
They care about employees wellness and you get to get involved in the community
They offer free salad and soups for lunch everyday.
Consumer and Indirect Lending (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 4, 2016
Typical day would start at eight and ends at 12. Would review all loan queues. Would review all documents with each member account.Would call and set up terms and process the loan application for the members
Great company
Member Specialist (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 18, 2015
Sefcu is a great company who tries to better there community and the lives of individuals with there volunteer work. I love working with my team. The branch is pretty much always busy but it makes time go by quicker and the members are usually pleasant to help.
Loved working in the Banking World
Cash Line Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 5, 2015
I Loved My job at SEFCU ( State Employees federal credit union). I Loved the People and Learning all the News things that come with banking. My average day was counting down the daily ATM and the TCD machines. I Loved how when our regular members came in they would come right to me. I knew a lot by name. and Most of the time I became a person they could talk to for some.
Pros
Great incentive prizes, and great people to work with
Cons
being Let go due to cut backs