Select Medical Employee Reviews

Featured review
Select Medical selected this as a representative review
Excellent company to work for
DIVISIONAL INTERIM MATERIALS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMay 29, 2017
Select has very high moral and ethical standards that is practiced everyday in each facility. Doing the right thing every time is standard practice by everyone who is employed. It is refreshing to have the support of your corporate counter parts for help and guidance.
Always short staffed
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMarch 22, 2019
Report never on time, employees never on time. Poor attitudes all charge nurses, lazy as well. Manager never followed through with anything. Too much agency, not cost effective. Every other weekend.
Cons
No breaks
Experience
Correspondence Representative (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMarch 18, 2019
I feel that working at Select gave me opportunities and education on a lot of experience. I really liked the variety of jobs. I did a lot of different jobs which I enjoyed, however, I wish the pay would reflect this.
Pros
flexible
Cons
pay
Fast paced inadequate staffing inexperienced charge nurses
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLMarch 9, 2019
This job is a intense fast pace environment for long term critical ill patients, there is inadequate nurses, and aids the charge nurses are inexperienced and unprofessional to their professional employees they work along with in front of other employees as well as patients and family members. Most of the staff that they hire are new graduates due to they can’t find experienced R.N.’S there are a lot of medical coverups being made leading to negative patient outcomes, be careful of your license if you work at this hospital or so they call it one.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor charg nurses, poor staff ratios
Positively challenging
Clinical Liaison (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 6, 2019
Select takes the patients that are the sickest of the sick. It is not an easy place to work but it is so worth it! I am very grateful to work for Select Medical.
Loved my job and most co workers
Reviews (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMarch 3, 2019
Loved my job, and most of my co workers more on the co workers that were not in my area they were all friendly and happy but our team was made up of to many chiefs not enough indians (old saying). Too many non clinical staff attempting to practice medicine at the point I had to walk away so I did not laugh out loud listening to the mispronunciation of medical terms and diagnoses and medications. Enjoyed the actual position but no paid holidays you have to use PTO for holidays and no PTO until 91st day at 5.3 hrs a pay period. No training no support too much favoritism, no advancement, no incentives, just a dead end. Co workers not in my area were nice, friendly everyone spoke. You have a big cubicle but I was placed next to ladies and the front doors so a lot of noise and constant interruptions. Co workers who consistently yell instead of a normal and professional speaking tone. Lose concentration with loud talking and laughing that goes on all day.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Salary, Benefits, Holidays, Pto, 401K
Management makes this job terrible
Cash Application Representative (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 26, 2019
I have worked in the Cash department for 3 years. Started at 11 an hour, now making 11.40 after 3 pitiful years.

One nice thing about working as a Cash Application Rep, is the flex schedule. You can work half an hour extra Monday through Thursday to leave 2 hours early on Friday. The health benefits are decent. They will start your pay at 11 an hour. This is not a call center, you sit in a cubicle and just do your work with little to no supervision. Co-workers are great, and some I can call my good friends.

The entire department has to work together as a team to reach month end goals, and all transactions HAVE to be posted. So you could end up staying later on the month end dates just to get everything posted. The latest the department has had to stay is 2am. You get paid 11 dollars an hour and are expected to pump out the work and stay until 2 am.

Make sure you are working, god forbid you say good morning to someone or the management team will scold you. If one person from the management team has a biased against you, it's all over. They will huddle up and protect each other. You could be the hardest working employee in the department, but you will get no where if you are just seen reading a text - even though they are flexible with phones, you are allowed to listen to music or check it here and there - but if they catch you doing something they say you are allowed to do, it's over.

There is no promotions, and the manager will make sure you never get promoted into a different department. I have seen 4 people get hired and each one will quit before one actually
  more... stays. There are supposed to be different levels, but you will never become a level 2. They pretend like it doesn't exist. Only the most favorable person will get the chance to see that promotion. They have favorites and most of the time the person who is a favorite is terrible at their job, or doesn't deserve it over all. They don't reward hard work. They just expect you to pump out the work like a robot with no reward. I have also seen someone just come out of their 90 days and get promoted, while long time, hard working employees get nothing for their hard work.

HR has looked into this department many times, but the manager always gets to choose who they talk to, so of course the manager picks the star pupils. HR needs to talk to every single person, give them a paper and let them write down what is wrong with this department.

Do not ever work at this company. They micromanage, the pay sucks, there is very little to a raise, the management is TERRIBLE and they have no idea what is going on.
Pros
Flex Schedule, Co-workers are nice
Cons
Management, Pay
Training for the job is
Support Specialist, Level 2 (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 20, 2019
When I first started there it seemed to be a great company. The biggest issues I have is the work load and training is a joke. Training is most likely the biggest one. It took me at least 6 month to a year to fully understand things. Most of the things I learned, I had to figure out on my own. Not because of unwillingness from others. It mainly is because everyone's workload has them extremely busy to answer questions. They pretty much just over work everyone. I did get a promotion to level 2, but I kept all my level 1 job duties and was added all the level 2 job duties. So I am pretty much working 2 jobs at the same time.
Just started and I love it
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAFebruary 15, 2019
I just started at Select Medical and I have nothing but positive things to say. Our trainer is amazing. He is extremely patient and very personable and knowledgeable. I was nervous going into this, because I have never worked with Insurance, but have worked in and out of the medical field. But, everyone has been so kind and welcoming. I am very excited to be a part of this company.
Pros
Excellent atmosphere, friendly people, amazing trainer
Cons
I think for in room training more time would be great for all of the information
Very poor pay for such busy workload
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Canonsburg, PAFebruary 7, 2019
The company is poorly run. The supervisors are puppets to the main supervisor. No recognition for job well done. The pay stinks. The company is money hungry read the reviews everyone. I see people come for interviews and I want to tell them to run. Some people take pride in their work. Still treated like garbage.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Bad pay, no recognition, management at CBO is horrible. Greedy!
Hard Work
CNA/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 7, 2019
This job was very hard work but it was rewarding seeing the live you save everyday. It was nice to build relationships with the patients and help them recover.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
heavy lifting, and death
Productive place
Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJDecember 27, 2018
The hardest part of the job are the work hours. Monday & Wednesdays 7 am - 8pm, Tuesday off, Thursday 2-8pm, Friday 7am-5pm. Great team leadership, no room for promotion.
Pros
great team, management
Cons
13 hours shift only 30 min break, hours are too long
Very busy
LPN (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 27, 2018
Physically difficult place to work with the lack of staff, supplies and nurses with the proper experience for the job required. It's difficult for the staff to meet hour criteria per pay period due to low censuses and competing nurses from agencies that are also staffed.Though the education is all computerized, there is never a skills check to make sure the information was properly absorbed and applied. Room for advancement is nonexistent. Good time management is the key to progress, though broken equipment ,lack of supplies and high acuity patients will heavily affect how successful you actually are. And management seems to be aloof of anything that's happening.
Pros
Competitive pay, location
Cons
Low census, short staffed, hard physical labor, nonfunctional equipment, lack of supplies
Can be an excellent place to work
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PADecember 17, 2018
Plenty of advancement opportunity. Some of the management is unfair in picking favorites, but others are awesome. The pay is very low but they will hire you without any experience which is nice. It is a great place to gain experience in the medical or office professional world. All in all, I would go back there to work if need be.
Pros
lots of vacation time
Cons
very low pay
Respiratory Therapist
Registered Respiratory Therapist, PRN (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 13, 2018
I am only PRN.. There probably isn't a chance of getting on full-time. They only hire a couple full-time and the rest PRN. The hours are long. They are 12 hour shifts.
well organized work environment
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 11, 2018
attend to patients needs as necessary, obtain vitals, prove patient care as needed. assist nurses as needed. the hardest part of the job and sometimes understanding the patients because of their conditions. the enjoyable part of the job is taking care of the patients making sure they are comfortable while they are here.
Great place!
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 7, 2018
I enjoy working for Select PT. The people working for this company are really great. Management is very supportive and always there if you need them. The physical therapists are very good! Nothing but fabulous things to say!
Pros
Great people, freedom, great management
PRN Speech Language Pathologist
PRN Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Hudson, FLDecember 7, 2018
Enjoy working with Select Medical Rehab very much. Being a PRN employee, the hours are not consistent enough. I think the company has good ethics and education opportunities.
Pros
Integrity
Cons
Not enough hours for a PRN employee
Money Hungry Company
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PADecember 6, 2018
All they care about is their numbers and what money is brought in the door. They have no care for their employees. They are not fair, they show a lot of favoritism to some of their employees. Management sucks, they only do things to cover their own buts. They treat their employees unfairly and hold termination over some employees heads until they quit. DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!!
Pros
30 min Lunch
Cons
Over worked, low pay, health beneifts are expensive, management stinks
Overwhelmingly Stressful
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PANovember 21, 2018
Very hard job for very little pay. They don’t spend enough time training you for such an intricate job. They say ask questions but don’t go over anything thoroughly so you understand it. Also that it takes about 9mo-1yr to fully grasp. No one wants to sit clueless for that amount of time. Benefits are extremely costly just for a single person. Very stressful and overwhelming place to work.
Pros
Discounts, diverse environment
Cons
Benefits, Low pay, bad training
Can be a Great Place to Work for if Your Manager is a Great Person to Get Along with
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PANovember 1, 2018
The company can be great to work for, depending on your manager. When you find out shortly after starting that your manager didn't really want to hire you because of where you got your bachelor's degree, you should take that as a sign things are not going to bode well in the long run, cut your losses, and get out while the getting out is good. I was fortunate that the separation was amicable and not negative.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Select Medical. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight