Select Specialty Hospital Employee Reviews

learned a lot helping to run a small hospital
Hospital Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 14, 2018
A typical day would fly by: I learned a lot from the other pharmacist, nurses and doctors. I felt needed and appreciated to serve the patients there. I did not like working weekends and being on call. Also my manager made inappropriate comments that made me uncomfortable.
Pros
direct patient care
Cons
management and time off, weekends and holidays
Respectful environment good team work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 10, 2018
Enjoyed work staff very friendly feel like being at home.we have opportunity to choose the days to work .also we have a chance to request vacation when needs in time manners
Pros
Staff choose the days to work
Cons
Sometimes very noice
Needs better management
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAOctober 8, 2018
The employees are fun to work with but the management sucks they don't care about their employees lack of communication. Don't listen to staff will not help staff turnover is at an all time high. All they see are numbers and not the patient care understaffed always.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Mangement Sucks
It’s okay for the most part
Nurse Technician (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 26, 2018
The only thing great about select are the patients, there is a lot of favoritism, they do not work around your schedule with life changing events! There is so team work what so ever, you are left to either do it alone while other aides sit and goof off
Pros
Meeting new patients
Cons
Team work there is none
Outstanding team of nurses and physicians.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHSeptember 20, 2018
Fast- paced environment, high acuity of patients. No code team; Select pays for Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification, all nurses are the rapid response team. Use of all nursing skills in this position.
Pros
Many opportunities to enhance nursing skills. Variety of chronically, critically ill patients, with focus on evidence based care.
Cons
Very limited time for any breaks, or lunches. Heavy patient load for acuity level.
Good benefits
Unit Secretary/ CNA (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 20, 2018
They are under new management now, but when I was there the manager would not work with staff to balance work/ life. The benefits are decent and the work is fulfilling if you enjoy helping people.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Amazing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 18, 2018
Select is a great place to heal for the chronically, critically ill patients. The team of nurses and therapists provide excellent care to promote healing while being near an Intensive care unit for convenience in case of patient decline.
Everything was pleasing
CNA (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLSeptember 17, 2018
I was very pleased with the chance to work at Select Specialty. Only thing I could not do twelve hour shifts due to my mother illness, but it is a great company I would go back to.
Literally could not pay me to work there
Director of Business Development and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CitySeptember 16, 2018
Feel sorry for anyone who has anything to do with their sales/marketing team. What I learned about upper leadership's views of their current team as well as their thought on that team moving forward is near terrifying.
My only recommendation is for them to gut all senior leadership, including regionally or just close OKC. To anyone applying, their census is in the single digits. From what I saw and heard on my tour, I know why.
Have reached out to people I know who are applying and told them to avoid at all costs. Shared these concerns with local referral sources as well.
Pros
Nice lady in lobby when I arrived
Cons
Too many to list
No Advancement,Called off to frequent.
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 16, 2018
Working there was at first a place of team work, we had each other back. The job culture changed with new management , we often worked understaffed, and under paid as PCA, the nurses seemed to receive all the incentives and that's just not fair.
former employee
Staff RPTA (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 12, 2018
enjoyed every minute of working in a LTAC. Most diversified caseload ever. Rehab team was professional and encouraging to all patients who were there to recover and return home.
Understaffed, poor management
RN (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 6, 2018
Hardly ever get lunch breaks, understaffed, micromanaged. Management doesn't see what's actually going on in the unit and unsafe assignments for all staff.
Pros
Self scheduling
Cons
No breaks, poor pay, understaffed, micromanaged
strong team work
registered nurse:hospital supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edgewood, FLSeptember 4, 2018
This is a Long Term Acute Care facility. These patients are high tech and task heavy. The nursing team at night has a strong team mentality. The middle management is very hands on and has a strong background in Chronically Critically Ill pts. They are a strong resource for the floor staff.
Most times, the work environment was supportive and collaborative.
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 2, 2018
I enjoyed patient and family education. I often felt I made a difference. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some patient outcomes and the families impacted.
Pros
Our department manager was fair and receptive.
Cons
The workload was sometimes difficult to manage.
Fair
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Rochelle Park, NJSeptember 1, 2018
This job is good for those wishing to enter into the healthcare field. This is a fast paced job with management actively involved in the productivity during each day.
This is not a good place to work
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLAugust 31, 2018
This hospital is always firing and hiring for the HR role. If you accept a job in HR, you won't last not even a year. The CEO is not a professional person. No matter if you do a great job, in less than a year they will find any excuse to fired you.
Cons
The Management
Experience was invaluable
DIRECTOR OF QUALITY, INFECTION CONTROL AND SAFETY (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIAugust 30, 2018
As a small hospital you get to know your co-workers well and be in touch with their challenges and needs. Corporate support is strong and performance is demanding but rewarded.
Select Specialty Hospital
Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 30, 2018
I really tried to get everything done that was asked of me, but my boss kept dumping more stuff that I did not know. I have never in all my years helped in the nursing department.
Pros
it was close to my home
Cons
no skills from my bosses
High turnover rate
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAAugust 30, 2018
Good company, Awesome service that is needed. Some disconnect between upper management and staff. Seems to have a high turnover rate in management positions.
Ssh cm
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 29, 2018
I was assigned a caseload of 25-40 patients in this long term acute care hospital. I worked with insurance and Medicare to confirm funding and met with families to discuss plan of care.
Pros
supportive and accommodating
Cons
location in Houston Medical Center

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Select Specialty Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.1

1.5Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight