Select Specialty Hospital

Select Specialty Hospital Employee Reviews

Found 1,556 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,561 reviews

Select Specialty Hospital insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Sense of belonging

Opportunities for advancement were available

Though this area seem to be populated by critical thinkers, there are still issues with a unknowledgeable people. Seemed like a good place to work at the beginning, but overtime you became less motivated to show up

Pros

There were times when administration brought food trucks

Cons

Working without much flexibility in staffing

I take pride in taking care of individuals that can't take care of themselves.

When the nurses receive their assignment, you would thank that an individual would put their patients needs on the top shelf. Instead of trying to give the patients that they don't want to care for to another nurse because what ever their reason is. Just because an individual has a nursing or CNA, degree and certification that does not mean they care or have compassion/ empathy for the patients and the goes for management as well.

Pros

Helping individuals

Night shift was nt for me

Great people to work with, night shift was only available. Everyone really cared for their patients. Decent teamwork. Great place to learn as a nurse.

Pros

Co workers

Cons

Night shift

Like a family

While being employed at Select I have found it easy to get along with my co workers and management. Everyone works together as a team for the patients well being. The nurses chip in and get their hands dirty and so does the rehabilitation department.

Pros

Great coworkers

Good Company

The environment was good and the management was pretty fair. I was not completely happy with some of the job practices, so I decided to resign. Thanks.

Pros

Free parking and free lunch once a week

Cons

No room for advancement

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Everythings ok

Im satisfied with my job here, everything seems ok. No complains, no issues, you work hours you want, you get the days off you need, people are nice overall its a good place to work.

Cna

You are constantly moving around but that helps the time go by. Expensive benefits. Short staffed but you can get the job done. Staff is nice and easy to work with and are almost always willing to help.

Pros

Team work. 12 hour shifts. Bonus pay.

Cons

Benefits are expensive.

What a joke

Aides wouldn’t help new aides. Finding help? Might as well ask your nurse if you didn’t get paired with one of the stuck up snobby ones. Got chewed out over a nurses duty when I’m a CNA.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

No help, rude staff

I can see the light

Very fast paced, new management is transparent during the interviewing process. It's been a lot of turnover but for the better. It seems like a lot of the "bad apples" have weeded themselves out. The culture has shifted, to one that promotes teamwork!

Pros

Compensation, Support

Cons

Call ins, turnover

Poor work/life balance

I worked for a Select Specialty Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, as a RN, for a year. This is a great place to learn about critical care. However, the culture of meanness, favoritism, and overworking is what drove me away. The expectation of the nurses to spend their days off completing massive amounts of online classes at home, unpaid, is ridiculous. I would cry because I had no time for my children. I was constantly sitting in front of my laptop. And they ride our butts about it. It was literally hundreds of classes.

Pros

Critical care skills.

Cons

Mean older Nurses eat their young.

Productive workplace

Enjoy my job. Feel like I have learned a lot as a new nurse. Thankful for this beginning of my career. Can be challenging at times due to high acuity level of patients but has taught me very much.

Pros

Learning a lot

Cons

High level patients

Very Hard patients and no extra help

Pay is good but the patient load is too much. Would work well with only 4 and not 5. Patients dont get the care they deserve because there is no time.

Pros

Pay is best in town

Cons

Extremely heavy patient load

The good about this job is they really care about their patients the bad about this job is the management team don't care about their employees

The management team really are lacking communication and relations skills to the employers are to their employees the environment at Select Specialty Hospital is a hostile working environment but as far as the job goes the work itself is very rewarding to me and some of my coworkers are very very supportive and enjoyable management team. So good

Pros

The pros of the job are there. They have really good benefits

Cons

Management at this job Lacks severely

Best workplace

Best workplace good compensation. Good coworkers. Never had issue with anyone. Much more laid back at nights. Good place dor learning and growth. Had to leave only because of moving to family

Pros

Good co workers and salary

Terrible Management and Overall Work Enviornment

This is a terrible place to work right now. The management has no problem calling you out in front of the whole building and belittling you. The management cares more about money and what's happening with Mercy, overlooking what's happening at their own hospital. It seems like a few people came from Mercy and then Selects actual values got thrown out the window and it turned into a whole Mercy vs Select type thing. Lots of clicks, lots of drama. People will come up to the nurses station and talk bad about someone, just to literally turn around and be buddy buddy with them. I really feel like if they got rid of the current management, specifically the CNO and CEO, they could really be something. Overall, most nurses and techs there really care about their patients and do an amazing job.

Supporting staff, high patient ratio, charges could do more

Nurse to patient ratio is high for an LTACH. Charges avoid doing extensive work. Concerns are dismissed under management and are often ignored.

Pros

Good team moral

Cons

Management and charge are too passive with concerns and work conditions

Pay is very good

The people I work with for the most part are great, the pay and benefits are good too. Management is a revolving door. The corporate managers are very money driven as it is a for profit hospital, but if you've ever worked in the medical field patient care has to be more about patient care than just making money.

Pros

Coworkers; pay; benefits

Horrible Place

Re: Birmingham facility: If you don’t value your license, then this is the ideal place for you. Upper management is extraordinarily unsupportive and if express disagreement with their decisions in anyway, they will nitpick and harangue you to the point of your own insanity. Management won’t hesitate to leave the unit at 3 pm daily when its breaking loose. They are also tone deaf, and will support each other, no matter how bad their decisions may be. Admit, admit, admit regardless of lack of staffing. Some nights RNs are taking as many as eleven patients a piece….ok for a nursing home; however, most of these patients are critically ill and on ventilators. DANGEROUS.

Pros

Cons

Working there!

Terrible

An Aide On the floor here will work harder than they ever have with no support. There's so much agency here they don't even know who's core and who's agency. I wouldn't take the pay they offer core staff.

Pros

I came through an Agency.

Cons

Management doesn't care about how you get what they want done as long as it gets done.

Productive work environment with opportunities for growth

Pleasant work environment with lots of computer and in person training sessions to bring you up to speed on working for the patients. The hospital does have a solid nursing staff who work cohesively as a team. You will strengthen your nursing skill set and became adept at working with sometimes high acuity patients. Overall a good place to work

Pros

Leadership availability, staff is readily avail. Flexible with time off

Cons

Pay scale was low for work requirements. Keep your opinions to yourself, even professionally.

Ok place to work, you can get hours

Ok place to work, managers suck, but if you need a hob that offers overtime this is the place. They always need help so they will hire you very quick lol

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Select Specialty Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Select Specialty Hospital with

• Select Specialty Hospital
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?