Select Specialty Hospital Employee Reviews

Great Healthcare Experience
Unit Secretary/Monitor Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 22, 2019
Benefits
Employee Opportunities
Well Staffed
Great Patient Care
Flexible work hours
Paid Vacation
Great Physical And Occupational therapy staff
Pros
Overall Great Job
Don’t work here
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Grosse Pointe, MIFebruary 16, 2019
The Select in Grosse Pointe MI is run by a tyrant. MICRO MANAGER. Does not mind poor performance as long as beds are full. Rules change all the time. We are always short staffed. Patients are at risk.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
Terrible, management
poor
Staff Therapist (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOFebruary 13, 2019
extreme hard work with too few people with a manager who was incompetent and unqualified, worked 8 hours with no break until I had to ask for a break physically and mentally exhausting.
Don't work here you will be sorry . It's a awful place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grosse Pointe, MIFebruary 12, 2019
Overworked and underpaid. Nurses felt like they didn't have to help because that RN was infront of their name , Nurses were nowhere to be found when you needed them . Patients got meds late and we got yelled at by our patients . Their was no communication between nurses and assistants . Charge nurse never checked on patients throughout the night like they were supposed to . no appreciation or insentives . I could go on I was there for 3 years and I loved my patients but it eventually took a toll on me . Don't work here unless you want to be a slave driver that's how they treat you .
Pros
I learned a lot working there
Cons
The CNA to patient ratio was awful .. Really undertaffed
First 12-15 years we had wonderful management. After that it was horrible
Registered Nurse, Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 11, 2019
Staffing was horrible. Patients were assigned by number and not acuity. We were expected to finish on time, but the work load prevented this. We had high acuity patients, with ventilators, trachs, wound care,etc. We were expected to give report to several nurses on the relief shift. If we were late clocking out we were penalized. The last few years that I worked there we were not recognized for years of service. No awards were given. The first 12 to fifteen years we received awards, certificates, and other items for years of service that was stopped. Upper management were very rude, and treated us with disrespect. They were unprofessional.
Pros
employee relationships were good. We were like family. Good training
Cons
upper management was not good the last few years.
Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO 63131February 9, 2019
A wonder place to work with unlimited overtime. Do not know too much about the benefits. Working PRN only one shift per 6 weeks. Sometimes short staff, but nurses help a whole lot.
Stressful but learned a lot
Monitor Tech/Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 7, 2019
Had very few breaks and lots of patients for one monitor tech. Nurses and staff were good, but busy all the time. Doctor's were proficient and friendly for the most part.
Do Not Work Here Run!!!!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 6, 2019
If you like to work in a hostile work environment with the purpose of effect of harming others this is the place for you! This place is a joke...I’ve witnessed WORK PLACE BULLYING at its finest and it still continues on. Unfair monitoring, constant criticism, spreading malicious rumors, removing duties the list goes on. If you have any issues or concerns don’t bank on anyone being for you but being against you! Lack of maturity and integrity will lie on others to disguise their failings on others. Focusing on petty fault finding and generate conflict and also personal pollution projecting their own negative stuff on others creating confusing and uncertainty with others. Select might use team language but they are not team players and you also have people that are in management positions that are incompetent and don’t know which way is up or down. Everyone wants to be the boss and at times it gets confusing to who is who and what position they hold because everybody is to busy trying to tell others what to do and they are not even in a management position! Select has employees that have personality problems and their behavior is unlikely to change they have lack of empathy, emotional illiteracy, addiction to power and that is very disturbing!!! HR is just as crooked as they come not to be TRUSTED AT ALL A BIG SNAKE! CNO IS A DEER CAUGHT IN HEAD LIGHTS!
Pros
Cons
If you want your license don’t work here
Great experience
RN (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVFebruary 6, 2019
I gained a tremendous amount of knowledge while working at Select. The opportunities to work with a medically diverse population allowed me to gain the experience, knowledge, and confidence to tackle future endeavors.
great work environment
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 5, 2019
I loved working there. They are the best at what they do. Amazing nurses, quality care. safe and clean environment. I loved going to work everyday and that should tell you everything you need to know.
Ttelemetry Tech (Former Employee) –  Panama City Beach, FLJanuary 29, 2019
I could not work the flip flop shift. Working days and nights but did not have a choice. It was not good for me. Otherwise the benefits were great.

Select employees gave great patient care. All the staff worked together.
Pros
People I worked with
Cons
Hours were not good
Team work
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 28, 2019
Loved working with them, I would encourage anyone going into the nursing field to apply and work as long as possible with this company. They have great team work and awesome benefits.
Set stage for many promotions.
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJanuary 25, 2019
Coming from retail I had no experience working in an ICU setting. My mentor is a friend to this day. He taught me and directed me to the correct literature to become a successful hospital pharmacist. The working environment is very clean and the technical support staff is top notch. Everyone of the staff from the CEO down are always available to educate and teach if you are willing to ask for help. The culture is that of a big extended family.The hardest part of the job is being on-call and the most enjoyable part is being a part of something special. I have to say as a Director of Pharmacy now, I do miss the days of being in the trenches of the ICU. l and the most enjoyable part is being a part of something special.
Pros
Excelent pay, vacation and benefit package. Ggiven plenty of autonomy.
Cons
If you have no hospital experience, prepare to study like you never have before.
Worst place to work
Telemetry Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 25, 2019
This company still paper charts. Upper management DO NOT appreciate staff. The Upper management are bullies they twist the policy and procedures to work to their favor.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Everything negative about this company
I was a relief Clinical Pharmacist
CLINICAL PHARMACIST (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 23, 2019
Check drugs technicians taking to the floor
pharmacokinetic calculations for certain drugs
Sterile compounding
rotating On-Call hours
Easy going work culture
learned how to program pain, and other, pumps

Hardest part of the job was losing patient

Best part of the job was sending recovered home

No Code Blue responses
Pros
Small hospital with plenty of technician assistanct
Cons
Lunch too short to go out
Do not work here
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 23, 2019
I got fired because my father went by ambulance to the ER due to an asthma attack and stopped breathing on the way there at 4:30 am (he was resuscitated). I called the night manager basically right after the ER called me to tell her what happened and that I would not be in. I then spent the rest of the day at the hospital with my dad, had the next day off, and came to my next scheduled shift.
This made me go over my "points" for my first 90 days. You get 6, I was one minute late 2 days due to terrible road conditions and left 2/3s into a shift because I could barely stand up that's how sick I was. The day I missed to be in the HOSPITAL WITH MY FATHER put me at "7 points" so they fired me. They tried to spin it in a way that they "fired me for the other times before" which was obviously not true since all of those other incidents happened a month before this one and I was still working there.

This company lacks any empathy for employees and expects you to put them over your family and your health. They also lied to me upon hiring that I would get 12 weeks training (it was 12 shifts not weeks) and that I would be eligible for health insurance 60 days after hiring (again not true, wasn't eligible until 90 days.). This place is like an ICU as well and I got more training at a clinic than this place. Almost every person who trained me expected me to do tasks perfectly that I had never done before and would sometimes not even demonstrate them in the first place. They have archaic paper charting. They do not set up their staff for success. The whole staff and management team also
  more... constantly warns new staff about lawsuits, which I don't doubt happen often.

Again, do not work here if you would put your family before your job (I think most nurses do) especially if you would miss work no matter what if your parent coded.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Management, safety
Health Information Manager/Credentialing Manage (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJanuary 23, 2019
Great environment to work. Team players and always great communication with the staff and the administrative team. The physicians were also exceptional to work with.
Pros
Education offered, team work, loyal and dedicated employees.
Cons
Very sad the facility had to close
Mission: Nowhere!
HR Coordinator/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 17, 2019
I extremely encourage anyone looking to work for this company to also review the corresponding negative reviews on Facebook, particularly, Select Specialty Hospital: Cleveland Fairhill (location). This location and its top leadership breeds in toxic environments, and as of lately the negativity has picked up its momentum. Top leadership recruits staff for a census of 40 patients, heavy on recruiting both agency and regular staff, but once your hired as staff, you wont get FT hours because the "real" census is always closer to 20. That means half of the new people they hire will not have a nice paycheck. The CEO running this location is passive aggressive and has enough support from her superiors that her aggressiveness is blanketed as a "direct" management style. I really feel bad for the people who are still employed here because the benefits are poor, and the push to make "things better" is supremely simulated, it's just a facade...because imagine receiving a candy bar for being great at your job versus being treated fairly. I'm not kidding leadership gives out candy... So please give them the side-eye if they ever call you for an interview! This is a muddy, cut-throat environment that crosses into its staff AND PATIENTS. No job security here! You've been warned!!!!
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Work environment, workload, high-turner over, attendance policy, benefits, location, outdated software, no alarms or security
Good place
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NE 68502January 17, 2019
I enjoyed my time working here. I only left to accept a position I had been striving towards that offered hours more consistent with having a home life
I have worked at Select for 14 years in some capacity both full-time and PRN
COTA/L PRN (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 16, 2019
I have enjoyed my time working at
Select Specialty hospital. There are just limited opportunities for full-time work for COTA/L positions. I enjoy seeing the acuity of patients that are typically at Select.
Pros
Teamwork in the therapy department
Cons
No full-time positions available

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Select Specialty Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.5Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight