Select Specialty Hospital

Select Specialty Hospital Employee Reviews

United States1,718 reviews

Found 1,718 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,726 reviews
patientnursecnohospitalspecialtynursingrespiratoryacuity

Working here has lots of great nurses

First off education here is a lot. Yes we get paid very well but have to do education at home and you might get paid for it. Management needs some improvement. We need to train our staff we have to move up to other jobs. The senior staff who have been here a long time are overlooked and not recognized for their knowledge of the company and how the facility is ran and the day to day happenings with the patients. The hardest part is getting some staff to do their job.

Pros

Most of staff is very friendly, love working with the kind of patients we have

Cons

Management turn over, not consistent

Great Benefits; Poor management; Very unorganized

Great pay and benefits; Easy to pick up shifts; Poor management; Very unorganized; Main attending physician is horrible and doesn't seem to care about the patients; Very high turnover rate; Nurse patient ratio 5:1

Select Specialty Hospital insights

Based on 1,180 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Sense of belonging

Run

Horrible place management is none responsive.impossible to get staff, pay is low and they treat their employees like nothing.I wouldn’t work there if I knew it was as bad as the reviews stated.

This is an ok company

Each place depends on the location, mine was going through changes and was often rough. I worked 18 hour days often with little appreciation. The CEO of my hospital often liked to make policy changes with no medical back ground, so they often did more harm than good.

Pros

Some nurses, charge nurses, RTs are very informative and helpful

Cons

Long days, short breaks, small pay

What is the best part of working at the company?Team work, employees are like a family and they have a flexible schedule who worker’s that are enrollment in schools, What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Is 12 hrs shifts, only but I can handle that What is the work environment and culture like at the company?They have a nice environment friendly What is a typical day like for you at the company?Came in and worked grab my assignment and start working with my patients, do Round’s every 2 hrs and help them as needed

Trying at times, needs better management, tension between homies and travelers needs to be resolvedBetter breaks, more communication between departments needed

Good environment

Good environment, great management. Flexibility if needed. I would say that their benefits could be improve. Insurance is a lot even for the most basic plans.

What is the best part of working at the company?Absolutely nothing!What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Administration What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Hectic and staffing shortages constantly What is a typical day like for you at the company?Busy! Unrealistic expectations acuity levels

If you enjoy being micro-managed and working in a toxic enviroment, then this is the place for you.

The only redeeming quality about this facility is your co-workers. They are the ones that really make this place bearable. The administration is completely useless and extremely toxic. They love to micro-manage and to belittle co-workers in front of the rest of the staff any time the slightest mistake is made. The nurses spend 95% of the shift charting redundant things that should be the charge nurse/CNO job. Select works on the principle of ''if you can pay, you can stay". Which is the reason they will take in train wrecks that will either pass away or have to go back to a regular hospital.

Pros

Great co-workers.

Cons

Management, policies, nurse to patient ratio, defective equipment, micro-managing.

Tech

The turn over is absolutely horrendous. The scheduler is buddy buddy with the CNO and she seems to get a right to be hateful to everyone. It is very much a 'it's an incredible place to work' speech from management, but that isn't reciprocated the staff. It is mostly travelers. Some of the staff there is a straight up danger to the patients. I will say the pay is nice. If you are able to take a rough work environment, you will be compensated nicely.

Pros

Super kind educator, nice pay, free lunches during onboarding classes

Cons

High turn over, hot and cold management, unsafe work practices

Great place

Excellent team work and tons if OT available, flexible scheduling with pto and vacation time when needed. Very understanding administration, tons of support.

Pros

Team work

Cons

Cant think of any.

The good bad and ugly

They pay is low for the area with "guaranteed" raises that are pennies and there is no room for advancement. The culture is incredibly toxic. If you're good at your job they expect you to pick up the slack of those that aren't. The things you see will make you question the safety of your license on a regular basis. There is no team work involved, particularly between disciplines. They will throw people under the bus and not care.If you're there long enough, your PTO accumulates decently. You can sometimes get someone to switch a day with you but they're so short staffed most of the time it's unlikely. The pick up bonus was decent. They don't hassle you when you call off and there's a good points system in place. There's usually OT if you want it.

Needs better management

Pay is great if they are not floating you to different facilities or calling you off for low census. Management is horrible if they even have managers in place!

Terrible Management and much worse, the co-workers

Terrible Management from the top on down. The co-workers, especially the nurse managers are very hard to work with, expect way too much from you with all your other duties, while they go to lunch and do nothing.

5+ Stars!!

Absolutely LOVE my job as a clinical liaison! I’ve been a nurse for 25 years, worked in several positions and this job is amazing. The company is amazing. I finally feel appreciated and valued-even a year and a half later!

What is the best part of working at the company?Small staff, decent payWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Sometimes the workload can get overwhelming.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?It has a positive environment and a positive culture. What is a typical day like for you at the company?It's busy but it is rewarding. There are every day tasks and other things that arise that are not typical.

What is the best part of working at the company?Great company. Leadership is down to earth friendly and treats everyone with respect. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Census goes down and staf dont get enough hours.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Work environment is very warm and friendly. Family and patients are greeted upon arrival and directed where to go.Culture is diverse.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Go to work perform your job and go home.

Learning atmosphere and patient safety is priority

Compensation is good, and more than any other facility I have ever worked for. Work schedule is sub par. You have to work every other weekend as a staff nurse. Agency nurses were not required to work every other weekend, and were often treated better than select employee nurses. The charge nurse there was not very professional, was lazy and grumpy, played favorites, and would call *some* nurses out for not checking in alarms (some meaning if you were in the click you didn’t get fussed at). RTs who work there are amazing and very helpful. Overall it is an okay place to work.

Terrible to much gossiping

Wouldn't recommend my family to this hospital because the kitchen is ran poorly food handled wrongly dishes are never clean but they still serve food on them the kitchen is ran poorly

Nice place to work

Stressful at times; but, overall a good place to work. High paying. Close knit, family atmosphere. Team environment. Everyone was very friendly during the onboarding process.

Good experience if you want to develop skills in clinical nutrition, but no room for advancement

Pay was extremely low when I started, and there was a probation period before you could take PTO as a new hire. However, this was around 12 years ago, so things may have changed. A great place to learn about clinical nutrition, but no way to move up really.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Select Specialty Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Select Specialty Hospital with

• Select Specialty Hospital
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?