Selective Insurance Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Hard working pleasant environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJJune 3, 2018
Team works together
Learned a lot about insurance and presenting
Training is excellent as well as tuition reimbursement
Hardest part of job is meeting deadlines
Great place to work.
Title/Salvage/Subro Clerk and Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 23, 2018
I got my start in insurance when I worked at Selective. They are a great company and they are still in business today. I worked in a small office and due to restructuring or downsizing our office was closed. However Selective went over and above by offering counseling, head hunter services, etc. They were very good to us. They also offered for people to transfer to one of their other offices.
Fun with emplyees
Billing Services/Cash Processor (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJApril 21, 2018
In the beginning it was a relaxed, fun place to work. Then moved to different job role and got a little stressful. Some supervisors were not good at training.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Some supervisors
Personal Lines Management
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJApril 18, 2018
Personal Lines Management was so awful that it was stifling. People couldn't even concentrate on working for fear of getting fired. I would never ever recommend that place to my worst enemy.
Claims Assistant
Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDApril 17, 2018
I only worked part time, but I didn't feel as though they treated me as an equal from an employee standpoint. They required me to do work in 3 days that most needed 5 days to do which caused a tremendous amount of stress.
Great Company, poor management
Workers' Compensation Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 10, 2018
Great company to work for in regards to benefits and overall atmosphere. Co-workers are great and helpful. The issue with Selective is that you have to avg 50+ hours per week to keep up with your work load. Selective is growing exponentially at a very fast pace and the fix to high turnover is to simply hire more employees to handle the large number of claims that are incoming. Their training program needs a lot of work as well but I am sure it will get better within the next year or so.
Pros
Great benefits, great co-workers, great atmosphere, comfortable work areas
Cons
Management, Training program, unusual heavy workloads, daily claim surges
Best company I ever worked for
Telecommunications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJApril 1, 2018
I loved everything about this company. If I hadn't had to relocate I would still be there. I started at the bottom and worked hard. It was noticed and rewarded. When I left I had multiplied my starting salary by 3. Great opportunities there.
Pros
Great coworkers, very nice cafeteria and great benefits.
High Stress High Reward
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Branchville, NJMarch 31, 2018
This is a company that wants to see you grow. You can pass people in th halls and expect a smile or a hello. The CEO will even run into you occasionally and chat with you. There’s a LOT of work and you’re never caught up. That’s the really tough thing. The work is very tedious and requires at least 50-60 hours a week if you want to be someone caught up. The work/ life balance is a little tough. There definitely needs to be more employees to help lighten the load. The company is growing fast with a push for more and more business so the renewals are piling up and becoming harder to manage. However, there are always coworkers willing to help out if they can. Management is pretty good too.
Pros
Flex scheduling, 2 days from home allowed, open communication
Cons
Pay could be more competitive, work load, stress level
Not a nice place
Project Manager / Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJMarch 29, 2018
Place was stressful and horrible to work. Pay was low and the management team was disconnected. You have no ramp up time and they treat you like high school kids. Stay away at all costs.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
More then I could type
I wouldn't do it again
Technician (Current Employee) –  Branchville, NJMarch 20, 2018
Not a great place to work. Hostile work environment and way to top heavy. They try to do activities to promote a team environment but until they address poor management the culture will remain sub par.
Productive and engaging place to work
Sr. Manager of Mobility (Current Employee) –  Branchville, NJMarch 17, 2018
Management is great and approachable. People are very nice to work with and create a very comfortable place to work. Pay is good and bonus structure is fantastic.
Underwriting and Sales
Agency Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stanhope NJMarch 9, 2018
Monitor agents book of business and suggest methods for improvement in production and losses.
Develop marketing plans to achieve individual agent growth and profitability.
Evaluate and underwrite new business throughout assigned territory.
Ensure that agents have a complete understanding of existing and/or new company products, policies, procedures, and services.
Work with renewal underwriting teams and small business underwriter to achieve organization goals.
Obtained Certified Insurance Counselor designation
Look elsewhere
Commercial Lines (Current Employee) –  RichmondMarch 8, 2018
Selective has made a quick decent downhill in recent years as far as its appreciation for employees. We are all overworked, over stressed, and under appreciated. Our so called new systems are antiquated, several years old, and some of them aren't even supported by the vendors because they are such old versions of the product. Last year we had a short window with numerous new systems and redesigns that all simply fell apart. Insureds and agents are experiencing long hold times when trying to reach us, inaccurate bills, and numerous other issues. Employees are expected to work longer hours and take on more duties without any appreciation or compensation.
Underwriters are salaried so no opportunity for overtime despite most of them working 50-60 hour week. Funds for our employee appreciation day last year were donated to charity without input from employees about if they wanted to do this and we weren't consulted with about what charity. Years past involved us going off site for an actual employee appreciation day. Ops manager in Richmond is quick to share his political views and holds himself in high regard. It's not a good time to speak out about your love of Reagan, your guns, etc. Most everyone is on verge of nervous breakdown with the work loads expected and you frequently come across people crying at their desks. Very sad, it's not what it used to be under prior management.
Run
RTW Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 1, 2018
It doesn't appear management really care about their employees here, its more about the customers and agent happiness. The training program is not built to help you succeed and a lot of management, that Have no idea what they are doing. The company is not a team environment, everyone is for themselves, instead of working and helping another. The stress you will receive is truly not worth it.
Very Stressful
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJFebruary 25, 2018
The company had very unfair pay policies. They would pay new people just off the street more money than the experienced workers who had been there for years. Then the more experienced workers were expected to tran the new employees that were making more than them.

this created a resentful work environment where the experienced workers were reluctant to share information with the new employees. they figured that if the new employees made more, then let them figure it all out for themselves.
Pros
Very Stressful
Cons
Benefits Were Good
fast paced and growth oriented
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 5, 2018
Fast paced and focused on new business growth. Well run company with specific and detailed goals. Field operations is a significant focus. Good Field Management
Pros
work from home
Cons
fast paced
Great little company on the move
Agency Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 26, 2018
Growing operation was at 22 states but recently expanded in South West. Good opportunity for someone who is open to relocation to stake their claim and show what they are made of. Senior leadership is stale, and pending retirement of CEO has most on their guard as new regime comes in.
Pros
discounted cafeteria, great employee activity culture
Cons
trying to complete with companies of completely different scale
Senior Property Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 24, 2018
Great company, not very will known outside to the eastern part of the country. I relocated to another city outside the foot print of the company so I had to find another company to work for.
Pros
great people
There is no Moral
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  CharlotteJanuary 23, 2018
I worked at Selective for over 2 years. I worked at least 55 hours a week just to manage my desk and even that was not sufficient. Management is horrible and they don't listen to any suggestions from.the people who the work. They have an outdated computer system, the work load is unmanageable and you are not appreciated at all. The turnover in the Charlotte office in the workers compensation department has been devastating. I have to say.in all honesty this is not a company that you want to work for.
Pros
Good Benefits, Gym onsite
Cons
Poor Management, Stressful Workload, Long Hours
Very nice company to work for
Sr Personal Insurance Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 12, 2018
Great company great work life balance but not for everyone as it is a call center environment and you are expected to stay seated and take all calls. Good benefits!
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Call center and you are tied to the phones