Selective Insurance Employee Reviews

For Employee
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJSeptember 19, 2018
No true appreciation of employees with strong skill sets and dedication, you will be taken for granted, given more work and allowed to burn out.

Management will only concentrate on what is not being done rather than recognition of accomplishments well done. Always in crisis mode.

While some of management team are competent in their job-scope, they are very disconnected towards their staff and overall dept workload. Morale is extremely low and caustic.

Slackers are rewarded and tolerated. Everyone has the "CYA" attitude which makes working within your dept as well with other departments difficult. Small town syndrome.
Pros
Location, work from home
Cons
Terrible work/life balance, Limited advancement opportunities, Almost everything
Not a place you want to work!!
Sr. Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PASeptember 5, 2018
If you are reading this, you should consider looking elsewhere. I am a current employee and although I really used to enjoy my time here I assure you this has become a "sweat shop" and no one is happy anymore. It is really sad to see this place go downhill and take a toll on these people. This is a good group of people who are simply overworked.

Management is hardly around and when they are it seems they are just around to be visible. You will be overworked once you get a full book. The company is growing which is great to see however, the lack of additional employees is where the issue comes in. If you do land a position here expect:

* 50-60 hour work week
* Terrible Management
* Low Salary compared to the market. (especially if you calculate all the unpaid OT since you will be Salary)
*There is some room for advancement but don't expect a huge increase in pay.
* High Turnover
* SLOW in getting new hires on board (in hopes to save more $)
* Prepare to be dumped on and have an extremely high workload.
* Work from home opportunity (2 days or so a week).
* 12/13 paid holidays and decent PTO days. (18 to start)

Good Luck but look elsewhere unless this is a last resort.
Pros
Work From Home Opportunity, Limited Advancement
Cons
Horrible Management, High Turnover, Extremely High Workloads, Low Salary
Compensation is competitive but they are highly disorganized
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 3, 2018
Expected to work 10+ hours each day and weekends. No work life balance. Management is disconnected from day to day workload and is not interested in employee concerns.
Great Place in a small town!
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Branchville, NJAugust 30, 2018
I began with Selective about a year ago and it has been a pleasant journey thus far. Goals and expectations are clearly communicated and collaboration is at the heart of it.
Pros
Flexible, family oriented
Cons
Smaller company, so advancement opportunity is slim but available
Terrific Company
Commercial Underwriter / Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 7, 2018
Everything about this company was great: co-workers, management, training, pay, benefits, etc. You came in, did your job, went home. Work/life balance was starting to become a little more demanding, but wasn't terrible. You could always go to a member of management with questions. Other co-workers were always open to help.
Pros
pay, benefits, job training
Cons
work/life balance was starting to get more demanding
no work life balance
IT Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJuly 30, 2018
there was no work life balance - work was never accurately planned it was always in crisis mode - there was always another fire to put out and it made for long days and longer weeks - how can anyone continue under this conditions
Pros
location
Cons
all work no play
Would Not Recommend
Do Not Care To Disclose (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 29, 2018
No Formal training is provided. Antique Software System. No Moral. Divided Departments. Stressful Environment. Overworked Employees. Pay is ok. I would not recommend this company.
Pros
401k Package
Cons
Stressful Environment. Antique Software System. No Training.
Quality Company
Director, Infrastructure & Operation Services (Current Employee) –  Branchville, NJJune 11, 2018
Like all companies, Selective has its Pro's and Con's. I have been her for 19 years so their are many more pro's. The best art of the job are the people and the worst is the politics. That can be said about anyplace. The Executive Management team are personable, dedicated and act in the best interests of the company.
Pros
Onsite Gym, free to employee and spouse
Cons
On 24x7, its a n expectation.
Hard working pleasant environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJJune 3, 2018
Team works together
Learned a lot about insurance and presenting
Training is excellent as well as tuition reimbursement
Hardest part of job is meeting deadlines
Great place to work.
Title/Salvage/Subro Clerk and Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 23, 2018
I got my start in insurance when I worked at Selective. They are a great company and they are still in business today. I worked in a small office and due to restructuring or downsizing our office was closed. However Selective went over and above by offering counseling, head hunter services, etc. They were very good to us. They also offered for people to transfer to one of their other offices.
Fun with emplyees
Billing Services/Cash Processor (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJApril 21, 2018
In the beginning it was a relaxed, fun place to work. Then moved to different job role and got a little stressful. Some supervisors were not good at training.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Some supervisors
Personal Lines Management
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJApril 18, 2018
Personal Lines Management was so awful that it was stifling. People couldn't even concentrate on working for fear of getting fired. I would never ever recommend that place to my worst enemy.
Claims Assistant
Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDApril 17, 2018
I only worked part time, but I didn't feel as though they treated me as an equal from an employee standpoint. They required me to do work in 3 days that most needed 5 days to do which caused a tremendous amount of stress.
Great Company, poor management
Workers' Compensation Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 10, 2018
Great company to work for in regards to benefits and overall atmosphere. Co-workers are great and helpful. The issue with Selective is that you have to avg 50+ hours per week to keep up with your work load. Selective is growing exponentially at a very fast pace and the fix to high turnover is to simply hire more employees to handle the large number of claims that are incoming. Their training program needs a lot of work as well but I am sure it will get better within the next year or so.
Pros
Great benefits, great co-workers, great atmosphere, comfortable work areas
Cons
Management, Training program, unusual heavy workloads, daily claim surges
Best company I ever worked for
Telecommunications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJApril 1, 2018
I loved everything about this company. If I hadn't had to relocate I would still be there. I started at the bottom and worked hard. It was noticed and rewarded. When I left I had multiplied my starting salary by 3. Great opportunities there.
Pros
Great coworkers, very nice cafeteria and great benefits.
High Stress High Reward
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Branchville, NJMarch 31, 2018
This is a company that wants to see you grow. You can pass people in th halls and expect a smile or a hello. The CEO will even run into you occasionally and chat with you. There’s a LOT of work and you’re never caught up. That’s the really tough thing. The work is very tedious and requires at least 50-60 hours a week if you want to be someone caught up. The work/ life balance is a little tough. There definitely needs to be more employees to help lighten the load. The company is growing fast with a push for more and more business so the renewals are piling up and becoming harder to manage. However, there are always coworkers willing to help out if they can. Management is pretty good too.
Pros
Flex scheduling, 2 days from home allowed, open communication
Cons
Pay could be more competitive, work load, stress level
Not a nice place
Project Manager / Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJMarch 29, 2018
Place was stressful and horrible to work. Pay was low and the management team was disconnected. You have no ramp up time and they treat you like high school kids. Stay away at all costs.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
More then I could type
I wouldn't do it again
Technician (Current Employee) –  Branchville, NJMarch 20, 2018
Not a great place to work. Hostile work environment and way to top heavy. They try to do activities to promote a team environment but until they address poor management the culture will remain sub par.
Productive and engaging place to work
Sr. Manager of Mobility (Current Employee) –  Branchville, NJMarch 17, 2018
Management is great and approachable. People are very nice to work with and create a very comfortable place to work. Pay is good and bonus structure is fantastic.
Underwriting and Sales
Agency Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stanhope NJMarch 9, 2018
Monitor agents book of business and suggest methods for improvement in production and losses.
Develop marketing plans to achieve individual agent growth and profitability.
Evaluate and underwrite new business throughout assigned territory.
Ensure that agents have a complete understanding of existing and/or new company products, policies, procedures, and services.
Work with renewal underwriting teams and small business underwriter to achieve organization goals.
Obtained Certified Insurance Counselor designation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Selective Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight