Selective Insurance Employee Reviews

Wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy
Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 12, 2018
They train you how to use their lousy computer systems, and then, you are 'on your own'. The expectations are ridiculous, so, no matter what, you are set up for failure. Turnover is high. You meet someone new, and within 90 days they have quit, were put on a performance plan, or they were fired. No one can handle the workload, and management badmouths employees within earshot of other employees. Pay is good, but, it doesn't balance with the hours expected. Employee morale is horrible and it is an incredibly hostile work environment. Management are poorly trained and ineffective. They are overloaded with work, and have so many meetings they are never available for their team.
Pros
Medical, Dental, & Optical Benefits
Cons
Poor Training, Poor Management, & High Turnover
Great company to work for no longer
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Branchville, NJOctober 8, 2018
Work life balance has deteriorated for IT FTE's. Work week is 37.5 hours. Expect to put in 47.5 or more with no compensation. Taking PTO is a privilege.
Pros
Great commute and nice employees.
Supervisor
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, NJNovember 17, 2018
Selective Insurance was a good company to work for, they were very fair in their benefits, time off and work schedule. I would consider returning if the opportunity arose.
Not a place you want to work!!
Sr. Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PASeptember 5, 2018
If you are reading this, you should consider looking elsewhere. I am a current employee and although I really used to enjoy my time here I assure you this has become a "sweat shop" and no one is happy anymore. It is really sad to see this place go downhill and take a toll on these people. This is a good group of people who are simply overworked.

Management is hardly around and when they are it seems they are just around to be visible. You will be overworked once you get a full book. The company is growing which is great to see however, the lack of additional employees is where the issue comes in. If you do land a position here expect:

* 50-60 hour work week
* Terrible Management
* Low Salary compared to the market. (especially if you calculate all the unpaid OT since you will be Salary)
*There is some room for advancement but don't expect a huge increase in pay.
* High Turnover
* SLOW in getting new hires on board (in hopes to save more $)
* Prepare to be dumped on and have an extremely high workload.
* Work from home opportunity (2 days or so a week).
* 12/13 paid holidays and decent PTO days. (18 to start)

Good Luck but look elsewhere unless this is a last resort.
Pros
Work From Home Opportunity, Limited Advancement
Cons
Horrible Management, High Turnover, Extremely High Workloads, Low Salary
Terrific Company
Commercial Underwriter / Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 7, 2018
Everything about this company was great: co-workers, management, training, pay, benefits, etc. You came in, did your job, went home. Work/life balance was starting to become a little more demanding, but wasn't terrible. You could always go to a member of management with questions. Other co-workers were always open to help.
Pros
pay, benefits, job training
Cons
work/life balance was starting to get more demanding
Opportunity to learn but not to get promoted
Senior HR Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Branchville, NJAugust 10, 2018
The best part about Selective is the people. Three is a definite sense of teamwork and working towards a common goal. That said, the fact that the main office is in Branchville, NJ is beginning to create problems in terms of talent. With an average age of 48 and tenure of 10 years, this is an 'old' company. Limited opportunities for advancement which are often filled by outside hires.
Pros
Feeling of community with other employees; Strong pay and benefits; Good work-life balance
Cons
Out-of-touch leaders (big fish in a little pond), Limited advancement opportunities, definite glass ceiling; Lack of female leadership
Would Not Recommend
Do Not Care To Disclose (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 29, 2018
No Formal training is provided. Antique Software System. No Moral. Divided Departments. Stressful Environment. Overworked Employees. Pay is ok. I would not recommend this company.
Pros
401k Package
Cons
Stressful Environment. Antique Software System. No Training.
For Employee
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJSeptember 19, 2018
No true appreciation of employees with strong skill sets and dedication, you will be taken for granted, given more work and allowed to burn out.

Management will only concentrate on what is not being done rather than recognition of accomplishments well done. Always in crisis mode.

While some of management team are competent in their job-scope, they are very disconnected towards their staff and overall dept workload. Morale is extremely low and caustic.

Slackers are rewarded and tolerated. Everyone has the "CYA" attitude which makes working within your dept as well with other departments difficult. Small town syndrome.
Pros
Location, work from home
Cons
Terrible work/life balance, Limited advancement opportunities, Almost everything
Work work work
Auto Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 21, 2018
They work you to the bone and management is lack luster. No work life balance. People quit left and right.
They do not provide proper training.
If you complain you will become a target
Pros
Vending machines in break room
Cons
Pay a lot for health insurance
Overall Great Company
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Branchville, NJNovember 13, 2018
Great work life balance with flexible schedules and ability to work from home when needed. My manager is great overall. Also have a great work environment. Offices and or cubicle desks are nice with option for standing desks and community areas like a café and tables and meeting tables are easy to access and use.

The employees have been here a long time so it can be intimidating at first but they are very welcoming and the management I find is open to hearing new ideas and opinions. They might not always use them, but I feel they at least listen to them. Which is better than some other companies.
Pros
Community, Work from Home, Work Life Balance, Standing desk
Cons
Lots of employees have been here a long time.
Great Company, poor management
Workers' Compensation Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 10, 2018
Great company to work for in regards to benefits and overall atmosphere. Co-workers are great and helpful. The issue with Selective is that you have to avg 50+ hours per week to keep up with your work load. Selective is growing exponentially at a very fast pace and the fix to high turnover is to simply hire more employees to handle the large number of claims that are incoming. Their training program needs a lot of work as well but I am sure it will get better within the next year or so.
Pros
Great benefits, great co-workers, great atmosphere, comfortable work areas
Cons
Management, Training program, unusual heavy workloads, daily claim surges
Compensation is competitive but they are highly disorganized
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 3, 2018
Expected to work 10+ hours each day and weekends. No work life balance. Management is disconnected from day to day workload and is not interested in employee concerns.
Best company I ever worked for
Telecommunications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJApril 1, 2018
I loved everything about this company. If I hadn't had to relocate I would still be there. I started at the bottom and worked hard. It was noticed and rewarded. When I left I had multiplied my starting salary by 3. Great opportunities there.
Pros
Great coworkers, very nice cafeteria and great benefits.
Look elsewhere
Commercial Lines (Current Employee) –  RichmondMarch 8, 2018
Selective has made a quick decent downhill in recent years as far as its appreciation for employees. We are all overworked, over stressed, and under appreciated. Our so called new systems are antiquated, several years old, and some of them aren't even supported by the vendors because they are such old versions of the product. Last year we had a short window with numerous new systems and redesigns that all simply fell apart. Insureds and agents are experiencing long hold times when trying to reach us, inaccurate bills, and numerous other issues. Employees are expected to work longer hours and take on more duties without any appreciation or compensation.
Underwriters are salaried so no opportunity for overtime despite most of them working 50-60 hour week. Funds for our employee appreciation day last year were donated to charity without input from employees about if they wanted to do this and we weren't consulted with about what charity. Years past involved us going off site for an actual employee appreciation day. Ops manager in Richmond is quick to share his political views and holds himself in high regard. It's not a good time to speak out about your love of Reagan, your guns, etc. Most everyone is on verge of nervous breakdown with the work loads expected and you frequently come across people crying at their desks. Very sad, it's not what it used to be under prior management.
Fun workplace
RTW Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 19, 2018
Great location. Great management. Learn 6 jurisdictions. Organizations to join. Great training. Human resource on staff. Regular staff meeting to keep you updated on the company
There is no Moral
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  CharlotteJanuary 23, 2018
I worked at Selective for over 2 years. I worked at least 55 hours a week just to manage my desk and even that was not sufficient. Management is horrible and they don't listen to any suggestions from.the people who the work. They have an outdated computer system, the work load is unmanageable and you are not appreciated at all. The turnover in the Charlotte office in the workers compensation department has been devastating. I have to say.in all honesty this is not a company that you want to work for.
Pros
Good Benefits, Gym onsite
Cons
Poor Management, Stressful Workload, Long Hours
Very Stressful
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Branchville, NJFebruary 25, 2018
The company had very unfair pay policies. They would pay new people just off the street more money than the experienced workers who had been there for years. Then the more experienced workers were expected to tran the new employees that were making more than them.

this created a resentful work environment where the experienced workers were reluctant to share information with the new employees. they figured that if the new employees made more, then let them figure it all out for themselves.
Pros
Very Stressful
Cons
Benefits Were Good
Employees are great -
Property Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 17, 2018
Local upper management are out of touch with handling of claim volume while adding additional responsibilities. High turn over in local office, people left their jobs with out even having a replacement.
Pros
Can work from home when needed
Cons
out of touch local upper manageement
Very nice company to work for
Sr Personal Insurance Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 12, 2018
Great company great work life balance but not for everyone as it is a call center environment and you are expected to stay seated and take all calls. Good benefits!
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Call center and you are tied to the phones
Unknown
Workers Compensation Claims Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 20, 2018
Unknown - Don't have anything to say. I will continue to state I don't have any sort of recommendation for this employer at anytime of my stay as an employee.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Selective Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight