SelectQuote Employee Reviews

Featured review
SelectQuote selected this as a representative review
Love working at SelectQuote
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 19, 2016
I travel two hours each way to and from work and it's totally worth it. My team is wonderful and they trust my work. I'm grateful that I was given the opportunity to bring my talents to help enhance the SelectQuote brand.
The management, owners and trainers are fantastic!
Senior Medicare Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 18, 2019
SelectQuote is a great place to work . The management, owners and trainers are fantastic. If you take advantage of all the tools provided by SelectQuote, you will be very successful. The only reason for any ratings less than 5 stars is because this process does not fit my situation very well.
Productive and self-driven job
Business Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 10, 2019
I worked from 9:30 to 6:30. Come in on-time everyday and get right on the phones. Transfer clients over to sales agents all day. Took a small break every couple of hours to eat my lunch or play some basketball.
Stressful, not enough people hired
Licensed Customer Service Agent III (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 8, 2019
They have a very high turn over, and they spend a lot of money on training. All the original staff is gone if that tells you anything, AEP is the best division, followed by life.
Pros
people, diversity
Cons
management
Recruiting
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 5, 2019
The environment is what sold me. Great people & flexible schedule. Making great money was an added bonus. Typically when you make good money, you are forced into a toxic environment. Not here! You get out what you put in so if you see a negative review, that person was either lazy and expected to be handed money and didn't last or SelectQuote chose not to move forward with them and they are bitter.
Pros
Great pay, Work Remote, Fun Environment, Flexible Schedules
Great Place to Work!
Licensed Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 26, 2019
I've been with the company for about a year now. During my time I have had many advancement opportunities and thus opportunities to display different skill sets. I've never had to worry about my pay or benefits, which is fantastic. I also love the company culture and the people I have worked with in different departments. This company truly takes care of you whether that's buying you lunch to show appreciate or sending floral bouquets for a loved ones funeral.
Great traing and great money— only regret is i didnt get to stay padt contract
Sales tep (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJune 23, 2019
Managers were awesome trsiners supportive and encouraging. The money ess great. There were even bonuses available during training. They paid for licenses. Great experience to launch into insirance! Made about 5,000/mo
Pros
Money, training, food. Made about 5, 000/mo
Cons
Temporary
Productive and relaxed environment
LICENSED INSURANCE SALES AGENT (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 17, 2019
upwards of 60+ calls a day after senior citizens responded to marketing ads. learned how to deal with many people yelling at me and telling me no. The hardest part of the job was making the sales to people who stated they were currently happy with current insurance coverage
If it already isn't a low-end call center, it is rapidly approaching just that
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  KSJune 5, 2019
Benefits such as health insurance, dental, etc. are pretty good if you are an individual, however, after reading the health insurance that has historically been offered to families, its atrocious, and coverage aside, as one of my colleges pointed out, they had gone through 4 different FSA's during their duration at SQ.

Compensation structure changed monthly, yes MONTHLY. Where dollars became hidden behind these convoluted points, and you were no longer paid percentage wise based off of what you sold. (which is how an insurance job should be right? - or is it unreasonable to expect a percentage of the sale these days?)

I think the worst part is that they even sell to their own employees. What I mean by that is that they sell you on a compensation plan (that clearly is in their favor), they sell you on the idea that this is the "final stop" (job security), they give you the same verbiage that you give to your clients, when you are trying to attach that small dental sale for example (bubbly fluff that makes it look better than it is). Frankly, I tried to give A-rated business to every one of my clients, and I honestly believe I was as direct as I could be to each of my clients, but unfortunately the management at SQ could not return to me that same courtesy.

I'm not sure if this is a product of SQ or just really the country we live in today (I'm not trying to over reach here, trust me), but as long as value is extracted (from YOU, clients, sales) it is very easy for them to look the other way. Oh, and yes, they do fall prey to giving you these really dumb incentives like
  more... ping pong tables, shuffle board, etc. What if you just paid me more instead? It's not like you ever have time to use those things if you are a good employee. Really, they are just stations of rebellion for fed up employees who have had too much for the day/week/month.

It's sad to say that my colleges were the biggest reason I came to work everyday, but unfortunately even they betrayed me, although not their fault, SQ is very good at brainwashing err I mean sales...

I wish that summed everything up, but I need to start looking forward, in the same way SQ did when deciding whom to cut.

PS: I look forward to the apologetics from the comment underneath me (I.E. the PR guy/gal at SQ) - we know who you are ;)
Pros
Food, Co-Workers
Cons
In my review.
Constantly in a state of upheaval
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 5, 2019
I really enjoyed working for SelectQuote at first, but the true culture of the job is unfortunate. Getting ahead there is more about who you know and how well you ingratiate yourself with management, and there is not nearly enough emphasis on who has the necessary skills or aptitude for the job. Job security is abysmal there, and pay structures are in a state of constant upheaval, and always end up with you making less money than when you started. If you are looking for a short term entry level type situation this may be a good fit, but overall if you're looking to be valued for your hard work and dedication, this is probably not the right place for you.
Company that was strong until the Founder was ousted
Director, Branding and Creative Services (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 4, 2019
A great company with an amazing story and history that came crashing down when the board of directors decided to oust the founder and CEO. The company was built on tremendous values and care. It was then turned into a very unpleasant place to be.
Pros
good wages, work from home
Cons
Ruling with an iron fist President
Job
customer service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMay 31, 2019
No room for advancement they have their favorite so they will keep them over anyone knew that comes in trying to prove that they deserve to work there as well
Warning - beware you will be used
Agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 30, 2019
Was hired last year for their AEP season. Training is excellent, but that is the only pro. It is a call center environment, HIGHLY micromanaged (have to status yourself when using the restroom, taking a break, getting water, etc). If you are not in an “active” status basically from the moment you get there until the end of your shift, you will receive a message from management to get on the phones. DO YOUR RESEARCH when it comes to the pay. SQ gets away with paying employees the bare minimum in commissions b/c they pay you MINIMUM WAGE and you only receive commissions after you hit a certain amount of policies sold. They use their AEP agents as work horses for corporate gain. They trick the clients that are transferred to you by saying things like, “you are eligible for free dental” or other deceiving tactics. When callers are transferred to you and after your intro script of asking how you can help, the majority of callers respond by, “I don’t know, you called me.” You are required to work long hours and stay for lunch b/c they provide you with subpar food. It seems as though they prefer you be rude to the clients to sell a policy as quickly as you can so you can move onto the next call. They also constantly rank the AEP agents which determines the quality and amount of leads you get. Also, when it is busy, they require lower ranked agents (pretty much everyone who is not a “level 1”) to do their own enrollments which can take on average 30 mins therefor taking away money making opportunity for you. There is a reason why with their 2 years in Denver a small handful stick around.  more... They will talk about one guy from the 2017 year who made $40k but he even ended up leaving after last year. Out of around 180 AEP Denver agents for 2018, maybe 7 stuck around after AEP. During the course of AEP, the room gets smaller and smaller as people start realizing they are being used and were deceived during the hiring process. They also make you sign non-competes so they can hold your appointments with different carriers so you are ineligible to sell their products for 2 years should you be smart enough to leave that h*** hole. Do not leave your current job for this smoke and mirrors opportunity. If you are extremely desperate and in dire straits, then maybe apply, maybe - they will hire ANYONE b/c they are so desperate to get as many people as they can to make them money. It is sooooo bad, I hope they go out of business and stop misusing good people and underpaying them.  less
Pros
Training, pay for licensing
Recruiters Oversold The Opportunity
AEP Sales (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COApril 9, 2019
When being recruited, my recruiter sold it as a $50,000 opportunity. We would be selling medicare during AEP to customers all over the country. Work 12 hours a day M-F, 4-6 hrs on Sat and Sun for 2 months and make enough sales to earn tje $50k. I think 2 people out of the 150 hired may have made $40k. The opportunity was so over sold my recruiter basically apologised to me and quit before AEP was ovee! A few of the other recruiters quit as well. This job isnt for everyone. Its mentally tough. Thankfully I disnt have a long commute like most of the other agents. Heres a tip, if you want to start working in the health insurance business tjis is a great place to start. Youll get a lot of knowledge, training and experience. The training was long. We started Mid Aug only working 4 hrs a day but they paid you for 8 because we had home work. It was about $10 per hour and it went on until Oct. Octobee rolled around and you started talking to customers....very few sales are made from Oct 1st tjrough Oct 15th. They pay for you to get licensed in several states. They feed you every day and youll make a little bit of money. DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE ABOUT THE BIG PAY DAYS. Very few people made more than $5000 a month. I made $14,000 from Aug 15th to December 10th. Im sure I wouldve made more money if I stayed on the phones longer. If you can sit for 10hrs and not get up at all except to go to the bathroom then youll do pretty good there. I made on average 2 sales per day, which was probably on the lower end of average. To make $10K in October you have to sell about 100 policies  more... in 15 days. Sell I believe 200 policies in Nov and then 100 policies all of December....most sales in Dec are made from the 1st to the 10th. Again 2 or 3 new hires were able to do that. Some veteran agents may have done better. Again, a good place to start for most.  less
Pros
Licenses paid for, training and experience
Cons
Over hyped comp plan
sq
Sales (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2019
That’s because some companies are more lenient than others when it comes to certain medical issues, so it’s highly beneficial to share your health history with an agent, like at Select Quote, who can recommend the company that will offer you the best rating.

I know Select Quote is very thorough in the use of their medical questionnaire, so this is a big plus.
Work from home
Annual Enrollment Period Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeMarch 27, 2019
Competitive pay with a decent hourly rate and unlimited commission . There were some mandatory days but that is to be expected enrolling into Medcare.
Pros
Work from home, bonuses
Cons
Training material
good
Vice President of Information Technology (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 23, 2019
good place to work.
fair treatment of employees.
equal opportunity of promotion
consistent reviews
market salary
bonus as appropriate
clear tasks and descriptions
Bad place to work
Insurance Sales Agent and Enroller (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 19, 2019
BEWARE!! They get you in and spit you out!! They saw I was good at many things so they would move me around and I never had a chance to build up commissions in one area and then after AEP when they don't need you anymore they rip you off by not giving you all your earned commissions and refuse to pay!!
Pros
Feed you
Cons
EXPENSIVE BENEFITS!!! This is an insurance company??????
complete my daily tasks and coordinate well with my team
Senior Technology Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 18, 2019
I like to write down my To-do list for the upcoming week. One of my biggest tasks to make sure my support team going well without any questions or problem. I would like to have a short meeting with my boss and report the progress on all ongoing projects and to discuss the priorities for the week with my team. In the middle of the week, I will check the status of daily routine jobs or projects. If any projects are behind, we need to come up with a strategy for increasing efficiency. On Fridays, I make sure all tasks are completed and send all the necessary communications via email or in person. Finally, I create a list of priorities for next week
Pros
Team Lunch
Cons
401K match
Avoid!!
Licensed auto and home Service Admin (Current Employee) –  Leawood, KSMarch 13, 2019
The management is unprofessional and not helpful at all. Favoritism and verbal abuse. Not alot of room for advancement at all! Its ran like a circus no one communicates with anyone. I think the company as a whole is okay if they could get better management
Pros
Jeans breakroom free food once in awhile
Very trendy
AEP Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 12, 2019
The management plays a buddy buddy style thing with new employees at first. But when people struggle selling insurance plans to angry people who are being called out of nowhere they are left to hang. I worked in senior for the 2019 AEP and if you do not absolutely knock it out of the park with your grad call you're absolutely screwed for the rest of the season. After my grad call I had to spend the first week of AEP with five leads to last until 5 PM when the caps were lifted. When I wasnt able to get past the threshold to tier up I was bumped down to 0 leads until the cap was lifted at 5 PM. The reasoning was that the leads cost money and I have no doubt that they do. However, when looking at the agent ranking I see the people at the top in sales burning through more leads than I took during the entire aep. The key is to nail that grad call or else you're absolutely screwed. I would not recommend this job to anyone with a soul simply because you are attacking one aspect of someones health care say they want free rides to doctors appointment or silver sneakers you get them that but to turn around and their premiums and copays jump through the roof. The trainers had this mentality of you need to grab these seniors by the nose and force them into another product that quite frankly isnt as good as what they already had.
Pros
Free food every single day during AEP
Cons
Everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SelectQuote. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight