SelectQuote

United States726 reviews

selectquoteaepsaleagenttrainleadcommissionamaze

Learning through Failure

Featured review

SelectQuote selected this as a representative review
It’s a lot of pressure but pressure makes diamonds. I learned a lot. I want to learn more. It’s a great way to humble yourself, help others, make money and learn through failure.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Hi volume of calls

Official response from SelectQuote

May 4, 2022
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and sentiments. We appreciate your kind words. Thanks again, and keep up the positive attitude!- SelectQuote Careers

Empty promises, poor pay

Selectquote loves to pay it's sales agents and people who talk on the phone, but poorly compensate the people who have to do all the behind the scenes tasks. As well as fixing agent typos half the day bc they are getting rushed to taxe next call. My management has requested proof of leadership before they will consider you for leadership, I.e having you do more tasks with no increase in pay. Managers don't have a sense of reality when it comes to work life balance. Love to front on social media but it's completely different once you're in there

SelectQuote insights

Based on 1,062 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Overall satisfaction

The negative reviews were correct

The company is a dumpster fire of an organization…. Stock price is in a nose dive.Most of the seasoned managers, trainers and sales force left….Massive layoffs after AEP & OEP…Leads are trash, most are cold called or responding to a blatant bait and switch tv ad…Most leads are too old and senile to understand why they are talking to you or they are on Medicaid and just want more free stuff.Compensation changes quarterly and keeps going down..Let’s be clear.. you aren’t there to help anyone with their insurance… you are there to switch them to another plan with SQ.. it’s not about what’s best for the client.. it’s what’s best for SelectQuote. but hey.. they are always hiring.. so ignore the reviews at your own risk… and you will find out for yourself like I did….. it’s the Used Car Lot of the Insurance business and you’ll walk away hating for ever responding to their ad. Save yourself the trouble.

Horrible employers

DO NOT WORK HERE I REPEAT DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME They are not a company that cares for their employees. Schedule gives no room for personal life. SCAM

Pros

Cons

Everything about this company is trash

Lies….all lies

They come up with creative accounting metrics to take back the commissions you earned. They want you on the phone all the time but take your commissions away if you take too many calls. Most of the calls are hang ups or people that keep changing their plans and when you help them they change their plan again and the company takes the commission out of a future check. Scam.

Pros

Good starting pay but no real future

Cons

Confusing pay structure that has too many penalties

Was a great place to work. Things slowly changed once the company went public.

Was a great company to work for. Currently it's becoming a job that creates too much stress with very little satisfaction. Pay structure changes all the time. At first the changes still allowed for personal growth and decent income. Now changes make it hard to make a decent wage.

Very misleading

All throughout training we were being told the majority of us are gonna be making 6 figures, calls during AEP would be coming in non stop and they over hired where I would sometimes be waiting 2 or 3 hours to receive a call during the “busy season” and then being told to basically do cold calls all day when we were promised warm leads and inbound calls

Pros

Remote

Cons

Pay, work life balance

Stressful

Money ok but the constantly change payment plans and move you from pod to pod. management and work life balance not so great. Job takes a physical and mental toll on you!

Base pay decreases 50% after 2 months. Commission is a joke.

After two months, the base salary was reduced from 18 to 13 hours. On annual premiums that you close for the month, they pay a 5% commission. 70-90 percent of AP is industry typical. If the consumer cancels within six months, they will take your commissions back. 1-2 months is the industry standard. It's an excellent wfh job, but that's all there is to it. As an insurance agent, you will not make any money or the money true insurance agents make.

Pros

Wfh, inbound leads

Cons

Micromanaged on a minimum wage. They keep 95% of your commissions.

Good job for temporary/seasonal

Overall it was ok. You have to be thick skinned and ready to read and learn alot, be able to deal with the elderly and medicare, have a flexible schedule for aep season, good pay but trainers/leads were not the best I had one really great supervisor. If youre able to deal with constant change, diff schedules and alot of talking you will have longevity here

Pros

Good money

Cons

Lots of work

It was good for about a year.

I worked for SelectQuote for a year and a half. The first year was fantastic. I'm not sure what happened once training began for AEP, but departments weren't communicating and many employees were frustrated. Many people were made to go to sales who weren't supposed to be in that role. March 7 SEVERAL employees were told that it was their last day. No warning at all...they got a severance package though. I loved working for SQ for about the first year. Stocks crashed along with communication and positive energy. A sad shift in my opinion.

Pros

Great pay, benefits and commission

Cons

Lack of communication among departments, DOWNSIZING (yet still hiring)

Company went public then went south!

This was a great company to work for until the became public and started trading on the stock market. Now they do not pay anywhere near what they used to and you really are just a number.. they used to care but now they do not.... if you want to be lied to then this would be the place to go. And you also will not have job security.

Pros

You get an hour for lunch

Cons

Any time you take for yourself is counted against you and management lies none stop to you

Worst place I've ever worked

Horrible management decisions, and absolutely terrible life work balance. This company has no regard for mental health whatsoever. Pay has been great, but the job really has been horrible. If you need a place to work and potentially make some good money for a while go ahead and apply, but this is not a place to stay at all. Also they constantly adjust pay if you do too well. Many times they have lowered pay significantly if we overachieve, but they never raise pay if all of us on average are below what was expected and they overshot the expectations by a large gap.

Lies, nothing but lies from everyone

They have their own verbiage to justify their lies. I was assured that I would never be “cold calling” but I was almost immediately and most of my day. They say because the phone system actually dials the number for you that “you” are not doing the cold calling, the phone is. Horrible.

If your new to insurance, this is the perfect place to start.

Training is great. We’re taught all we need to know about insurance and how to sell. However, they aren’t upfront about commission structure, just give you a number of how much you can make (like 150,000 a year), train you and then present you with your commissions before you get on the phone. Get paid twice a month, with commissions on the 25th. AEP is their try out period where as a new hired agent you’ll make $5 - $55 per sell based on your premium sale transfers plus $20/hr. After the try out, you’ll get fired or moved to another team for oep. They will throw you around to other teams based on company goals and commission structure changes. It’s a great company but if your very good at sales, do yourself a favor and be a independent agent where you owe your book of business.

Phone sales. Terrible ethics.

Worst company I’ve worked for. Ethically wrong. Many seniors complained about getting half a dozen calls a day from their “lead source”. They should say what ever was needed to keep them on the phone for the transfer.

Very rushed

I’m pretty irritated right now. About to start only knowing how to do the sales process. Barely knowing how to use the systems. Very annoying and rushed. And they cut off my survey so I can’t actually tell the truth about what they do to us. It’s crazy. They made us wait a month to start the job, then rush us through training. It’s like they’re setting us up to fail. During training they only run through things once and they do it so fast if you ask questions the trainer seems lightweight irritated to answer them like you were supposed to get it on the first go. Plus it’s on a zoom so there’s always the same three people chiming in for everybody else talking about they understand and all the other people have to catch up. Really you have to study at night after training during the day to be able to catch up for the next day and even then you’ll probably be behind. It’s a horrible way to train people and completely inefficient. How much tenured salesman with multiple licenses and I can tell you I’m about to get on the phones and I don’t know what I’m doing. I don’t know how to navigate the systems. I only know the sales flow, and barely that. I feel so unprepared and today is my first day to start. I’ve been looking for a job since week one of Training hopefully I’ll find one soon because I do not think I wanna work here at all.

Extremely High Turnover Rate on Employees. Deceitful with Commission.

Terrible experience. From start to finish no employee could explain the commission pay structure. You will not be reimbursed for certifications until producing sales. Recruiter, Onboarder, Trainer and none of them could answer questions regarding pay. The commissions are awful and they advertise 150k per year, run the numbers and with $12 commissions it is not possible.

Best job ever

I love working from home! The company provided excellent paid training. Provided all equipment needed. Best job ever!!! Must have great Internet, but company pays Internet bill. Everybody is super friendly and helpful!!!

Pros

Benefits, paid time off, great pay, great work schedule

Cons

Some days are better than others, just don't let it get you down

Great managers but terrible company

Started out great the managers and people I worked with amazing. I won a lot of prizes but was missing 800 dollars from my check and they change pay scale mid election. The worst part was my last check, I was not paid as promised and when I asked why I didn’t get the amount I was told he said “who told you that”? Very shady very dishonest and I don’t recommend it to anyone that is looking for a solid career in Health insurance.

Pros

Prizes

Cons

Money is much less then promised

I jumped in with the sharks and got bloody. I guess that’s on me.

The terms of my employment shifted constantly. Compensation, duties, parameters and expectations just kept changing and I was only employed for 3 months. I didn’t receive any of the coaching sessions I was promised. It felt like I was only worth helping if I didn’t actually need help. Very disappointing. Humans deserve more from humans than what I received at SelectQuote. I was misled, ignored and then dropped without warning. Many were dropped with me. The ones that weren’t had to take completely different positions. I’m so disappointed in myself for believing in this company.

Common questions about SelectQuote

Answered by current and former employees at SelectQuote

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SelectQuote. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight