SelectQuote Employee Reviews

sq
Sales (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2019
That’s because some companies are more lenient than others when it comes to certain medical issues, so it’s highly beneficial to share your health history with an agent, like at Select Quote, who can recommend the company that will offer you the best rating.

I know Select Quote is very thorough in the use of their medical questionnaire, so this is a big plus.
Work from home
Annual Enrollment Period Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeMarch 27, 2019
Competitive pay with a decent hourly rate and unlimited commission . There were some mandatory days but that is to be expected enrolling into Medcare.
Pros
Work from home, bonuses
Cons
Training material
good
Vice President of Information Technology (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 23, 2019
good place to work.
fair treatment of employees.
equal opportunity of promotion
consistent reviews
market salary
bonus as appropriate
clear tasks and descriptions
Bad place to work
Insurance Sales Agent and Enroller (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 19, 2019
BEWARE!! They get you in and spit you out!! They saw I was good at many things so they would move me around and I never had a chance to build up commissions in one area and then after AEP when they don't need you anymore they rip you off by not giving you all your earned commissions and refuse to pay!!
Pros
Feed you
Cons
EXPENSIVE BENEFITS!!! This is an insurance company??????
complete my daily tasks and coordinate well with my team
Senior Technology Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 18, 2019
I like to write down my To-do list for the upcoming week. One of my biggest tasks to make sure my support team going well without any questions or problem. I would like to have a short meeting with my boss and report the progress on all ongoing projects and to discuss the priorities for the week with my team. In the middle of the week, I will check the status of daily routine jobs or projects. If any projects are behind, we need to come up with a strategy for increasing efficiency. On Fridays, I make sure all tasks are completed and send all the necessary communications via email or in person. Finally, I create a list of priorities for next week
Pros
Team Lunch
Cons
401K match
Avoid!!
Licensed auto and home Service Admin (Current Employee) –  Leawood, KSMarch 13, 2019
The management is unprofessional and not helpful at all. Favoritism and verbal abuse. Not alot of room for advancement at all! Its ran like a circus no one communicates with anyone. I think the company as a whole is okay if they could get better management
Pros
Jeans breakroom free food once in awhile
Very trendy
AEP Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 12, 2019
The management plays a buddy buddy style thing with new employees at first. But when people struggle selling insurance plans to angry people who are being called out of nowhere they are left to hang. I worked in senior for the 2019 AEP and if you do not absolutely knock it out of the park with your grad call you're absolutely screwed for the rest of the season. After my grad call I had to spend the first week of AEP with five leads to last until 5 PM when the caps were lifted. When I wasnt able to get past the threshold to tier up I was bumped down to 0 leads until the cap was lifted at 5 PM. The reasoning was that the leads cost money and I have no doubt that they do. However, when looking at the agent ranking I see the people at the top in sales burning through more leads than I took during the entire aep. The key is to nail that grad call or else you're absolutely screwed. I would not recommend this job to anyone with a soul simply because you are attacking one aspect of someones health care say they want free rides to doctors appointment or silver sneakers you get them that but to turn around and their premiums and copays jump through the roof. The trainers had this mentality of you need to grab these seniors by the nose and force them into another product that quite frankly isnt as good as what they already had.
Pros
Free food every single day during AEP
Cons
Everything else.
Enrollment Specialist
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  RemoteMarch 9, 2019
Great company, improvements with dealing with large amounts of employees and ensuring that all are on same page, but this was the companys first year having nearly 100 remote starters.
I was blessed when I left this company
Life Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 26, 2019
Poor, millennial, management. I was head and shoulders in experience above the entire department. They did not care that I had a slew of awards and certifications for life insurance selling excellence (CLU, LUTCF, CFP). Fortunately, I was recruited away after a few short months and am working in a wonderful company befitting the experience that I bring to the table. Oh, here is the best part....Select Quote has been reaching out to me to come work for them. The recruiter does not know that I once worked there and I have left almost 1 year ago!
Pros
Ping Pong Table
Cons
Poor manangement...
March 4, 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We regret that you did not have a good work experience with us. We wish you all the best in your current endeavors.

Improvement needed
LICENSED INSURANCE SALES AGENT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2019
Demands were very high and initially they lacked in proper training for the demands of representing so many carriers across multiple states. I know they have made improvements over time in this regard. High turn-over of staffing. Management was too casual. Pay was a low hourly rate with commissions that were changed in structure month-over-month for an excessive period of time - it was impossible to determine compensation due to the continual changes in the commission structure without clearly defining them. It appeared to continually be in their favor. This adversely affected morale and motivation of the agents.
Pros
Endless overtime
Cons
Management and compensation security
March 4, 2019

Thank you for sharing your opinion. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive work experience with us. Our sales environment is indeed very competitive and may not be the right fit for everyone. Our current compensation plan in sales is a result of rigorous study, research and collaboration. It may not be the simplest one, but it has been designed to make sure that first and foremost, it is fair to everybody, and second, but equally important, that it continues to provide unlimited earning potential for those who do well in sales. Our sales managers are always available if an agent needs help in better understanding the compensation structure. Thanks again, and we wish you better opportunities ahead.

Sweat Shop
Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 11, 2019
Not everything is bad. The training was pretty good however once you get into production you are forced to work 12+ hour days at barely minimum wage. Even though you are on commission you have to make a minimum amount of sales to get paid ANY commission. It might be a good job for someone who doesn’t know any better, but those of us who knows how this works can tell you that the top level execs make all the money while the grunts are poorly compensated for the amount of effort they are required to put forth.
Pros
Stocked breakroom. Lots of Food
Cons
Micromanaged beyond belief.
March 4, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion. We are sorry that you did not have a positive employment experience with SelectQuote. Our sales environment is indeed a​ highly competitive and dynamic one, and we are upfront about this. Although we ​do strive to prepare employees for this reality, it may not be a fit for everyone. Our best wishes go out to you.

work hard and realistic goals
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 9, 2019
As with most sales organizations, SQ drives its employees to sell to its benefit, not always to the clients benefit. If you can establish reasonable goals and keep your mind right its not a bad place to work
Pros
somewhat flexible hrs and decent leads
Cons
poor management from the top down
March 4, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. Our clients' needs do come first. This is the reason why a needs analysis is part of our sales presentation.

Workplace environment/Management good (when I was there)
Life Insurance Case Specialist/Management (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 8, 2019
When I worked at SQ, I had a good manager who didn't micro-manage me and when I did need help, he was there to assist. Heavy workload, some days were more "problematic" than usual, but for the most part, during the course of a week, all was manageable. Good bonus structure, with a few other nice perks. I would have liked to continue my job at SQ but unfortunately, company structure changed, new headquarters/admin relocated out-of-state and many positions in CA were terminated, (employee relocation or work-from- home not an option.)
February 22, 2019

We appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback. We wish you all the best in your current and future endeavors. Thank you kindly for your service.

Unstable and Inconsistent
Insurance Agent/Producer (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 1, 2019
The benefit of selling here is that all leads are provided. The agents are put into a leveling system where leads, compensation, and privileges can change month to month. Even the better agents are worn down by this. Nothing is looked at on an individual basis and because everything is only based on metrics, there is no development or coaching after your first few months on the floor. The only focus is on how many leads you have taken and how much time you spent talking on the phone. The management team does not notice how unhappy most agents are or maybe just don't care about the high turnover. Most agents are looking for other employment.
Pros
Competitions
Cons
Inconsistent and unclear leveling system
January 14, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. Our current compensation plan in sales is a result of rigorous study, research and collaboration. It may not be the simplest one, but it has been designed to make sure that first and foremost, it is fair to everybody, and second, but equally important, that it continues to provide unlimited earning potential for those who do well in sales. Individual performance is always looked at and compared to the expected target or goal. The levelling system is based on individual performance. If our current compensation plan and levelling system are unclear to you, and if you feel that you need extra training or coaching, please do reach out to your manager so immediate assistance can be provided.

Watch Out!
Ins Sales (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 28, 2018
When you leave, voluntary or involuntarily, they will refuse to release all your insurance carrier appointments for TWO YEARS! Then you can't work in the insurance industry. READ THEIR CONTRACT CAREFULLY! Their biggest carrier (90% of all their business) will release you after six (6) months but you will not be able to go anywhere else and work with this major carrier for six months. Really VERY BAD. The compensation plan is HORRIBLE. They grossly misrepresent the potential earnings and spring their REAL comp plan on you after the 4 week paid training. READ THE CONTRACT before contracting with these people. They DEFINITELY distribute the leads unfairly by arbitrarily dividing groups into different "tiers" giving the lower tiers the worst leads. If you work for these people READ YOUR CONTRACT CAREFULLY and then run away as fast as you can!
Pros
Middle Management Tries to be Self Servingly Helpful
Cons
You Make Nothing for the Effort You Put In
January 9, 2019

Thank you for sharing your opinion. We are sorry that you did not have a positive employment experience with SelectQuote. We strive to be transparent in all our recruiting and hiring practices. Sales is a competitive environment and may not be a fit for everyone. Our best wishes to you.

Great inside sales opportunity
Insides Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 20, 2018
I'm using in the middle of the Senior Medicare sales board and still pull in a little over 80k annually. If I worked more I definitely could make more.
Pros
Income, training, and career development
Cons
Long hours during aep.
January 9, 2019

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback. We agree that the sky's the limit for those successful in sales. We wish you nothing but success here at SelectQuote!

A place for me to grow
Case Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 15, 2018
I joined SelectQuote in 1999 with zero knowledge about Life Insurance. The company took me in and made me feel like family. I grew with them and never wanted to leave.
Pros
Fairness and respectful
January 3, 2019

We appreciate your taking a moment to share your experience with us. We wish you the very best in all your endeavors. Thank you very much for your service.

Great culture, great coworkers, great management
AEP Licensed Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CODecember 15, 2018
Management is great, they definitely incentivize their staff with all kinds of incredible competitions, they take care of your licensing for you, and as long as you stay on the phones, no experience is necessary--their training program is great, and they're still trying to make improvements each time to better train their employees.
January 3, 2019

Thank you for your positive comments about our culture, staff, management and our training program. We continuously work to improve and get better, and we appreciate your noting this. Thanks again, and we wish you all the best in your current endeavors.

Enrollment
Enrollment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSDecember 14, 2018
It has always been a Production based job. The better you do the more you get paid and the more secure you feel. At least for my position. AEP can be difficult and hard but it is an all hands on deck kinda thing, managers included.

I was explained coming in that your job is based on how well you produce. I've worked hard and not had an issue. the managers I have interacted with have been nothing but kind and very accommodating to me.

speaking with clients on the phone can be difficult. but compensation is well worth the effort you put in. it takes some adaption to know how to work with the clients but anyone willing to work hard will do well here.

This job is really what you make it, and you get out what you put in. i am grateful for this job and think its the best i have had.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, Free food on Occasion
Cons
Stress of low production
January 3, 2019

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed review. We very much appreciate your positive disposition and your great attitude about your job. We are surely glad that you are part of our SelectQuote team and we wish you a very successful career with us!

The Reviews were right
Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 6, 2018
I left a good job to come work here and it is the most incredibly toxic environment. Before being hired I had read the negative reviews for SelectQuote and still accepted the position, I should have listened to my senses. The day consists of waiting on calls and most of the time the leads for the us new hires are terrible. Most of the other agents are unhappy and everyone is in a bad mood all the time, and it seems to be a very toxic environment and nobody in management addresses anything, they pretend everything is correct. In reality it seems I will be lucky to make 35k and I am asking my previous employer to take me back. Beware! This place needs new management in order to possibly salvage the culture, or there may be a mass exodus soon.
Pros
Free lunches, good coaching.
Cons
Management doesn't know insurance, you are a number to them.
January 3, 2019

We are sorry to hear that your work experience has been unsatisfactory. We will share your feedback with the rest of management. Thank you for voicing your concerns.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SelectQuote. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight