Self-Direct Inc. Employee Reviews

2.4Job Security & Advancement
I would not recommend this place to any sane person
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYApril 27, 2018
This place is awful. The only good thing they do is give you training and certification which is paid. They only care about making money. They underpay you for work a cna would do. The staff they hire is very questionable. They hire alot of addicts so you have to deal with that and having them around clients is an awful thing to do. They will "accidentally" forget to schedule a replacement for you on a 24/7 case. Then expect you to just suck it up when you have responsibilities other than work to deal with. This happened 4 times to me within two months. Apply to mcdonalds, they will pay you more and won't be as scummy.
Pros
Training was "paid for. With a gift certificate after a month.
Cons
Everything else
Self direct is okay
Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baldwinsville, NYFebruary 20, 2018
Self direct is okay, but not the greatest place there pay rate is horrible they expect you to work like crazy and not pay what your worth, the work we basically do is almost what a cna does yet they want to pay chump change . As far as giving hours what your looking for they don’t there’s always some kind of excuse in why they haven’t giving hours your looking for even when you tell them you have kids they don’t care they only want to cover a shift. As far as I’m concerned self direct needs to care more about there employees then themselves, we do the work not them as they sit around and do nothing.
Self Direct
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 8, 2018
Attended classes and became certified but I unfortunately was never given any clients and was not able to start with the company teacher was great though
Kept busy
Personal Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 15, 2017
Took care of the elderly therefore there is always something to either clean, cook, or remind them of medicines. Bathe them. Make sure laundry is done and folded. Clean sheets on bed etc.
Pros
Companionship
Cons
short breaks
Very rewarding job
ILST (Former Employee) –  Baldwinsville, NYJune 6, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working for this company. This job requires you to serve Adults with a Traumatic Brain Injury in their homes. You are required to have a car to transport participants to do business in the community such as banking, grocery shopping, etc. You also are required to sign a waiver in case of any accidents or damage to your car. Must be an understanding, compassionate, hardworking person willing to work with all members of team.
Pros
Schedule
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baldwinsville, NYJanuary 15, 2017
The schedulers did their best to accommodate days and hours that could be worked. Over- time available. Very nice people to work for. I would definitely go to work for them again
Ilst
Independent Living Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Baldwinsville, NYJune 30, 2015
Need to have the ability to work independently as it was often tough to get in touch with management.

I loved being able to work with individuals with disabilities and help them learn new skills.

The hardest part of this position was that I was already getting to the point of burnout and not having ideal access to support from management made it difficult to keep my motivation
Cons
A lot of driving
never no how one person you are taking care of will be
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baldwinsville, NYOctober 19, 2014
everyday is different because i work with different people in different homes i learned that every person has there own likes n dislikes
Pros
the patients
Cons
no benefits
Not sure what to say
Personal Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYSeptember 17, 2014
The management consistently loses paperwork. They never have flexibility when it comes to training's. If someone calls in, they don't have a backup plan so your stuck working even if you have worked 16 hours straight & you don't get to leave for lunch or get any breaks. The co-workers are not informative on patients day, or don't care enough to make sure the home is clean. I cannot say that I enjoy anything about this job other then a free dress code. There are no benefits.
Pros
dress code
Cons
no benefits- no relief when worked long hours - no breaks
Fun,place to work met new people my co-workers were easy to work with,the hardest part of my job was listening to there stories ..Strong & loving ..
Hcss/PCA (Former Employee) –  Baldwinsville, NYJuly 1, 2013
On a typical day at work depending on shift I assisted with dinner or breakfast gave reminders on meds. Sometimes assisted with showers,assisted with vacuuming dusting daily cleaning.I learned to listen more closely ,and how strong and loving participants were.My co-workers were fun and easy to work with..The hardest part about my job was listening to some of there stories..The most enjoyable part of my job was watching how some improved and just being with them wathing them smile and laugh.
Pros
I worked in there private home..
Cons
No breaks, long shifts and not so good benifits